AP Poll - Dec. 4, 2023 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Dec. 4, 2023

sun

Reaction Score
FWIW Rebecca Lobo's ballot ranked UConn at #14.

Reaction Score
I think we have a lot of things to address, but to lose to 3 of the top 5, 2 on the road and 1 on a neutral site, and drop to #17 !?!?!?

Reaction Score
I think we have a lot of things to address, but to lose to 3 of the top 5, 2 on the road and 1 on a neutral site, and drop to #17 !?!?!?
Some of that is how we lost. Except for the Maryland game, we really haven't passed the eye test this season. Admittedly some credit is due to our opponents, but we really don't look competitive against the upper echelon teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Only two teams with 3 losses in the top 25. The other one, UNC, just (understandably) lost to South Carolina with #3 Ohio State and #13 KState being the other losses. UConn plays UNC next Sunday so I expect one of the teams to drop out of the rankings next week

K14

Reaction Score
Nice to see 3 Big East teams in the Top 25! I agree that we haven’t passed the eye test this season. We lost badly to NCST, UCLA, and Texas. Just happy we’re still in the top 25 and keeping that poll streak going. The team will figure it out sooner rather than later and once we do I don’t think any team is going to want to play us.

Reaction Score
Qual
Quality of losses is important - but so is the other side of the coin that coin. Yes, I considered MARYLAND a quality win at the time, but . . .

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that this is the lowest point in Coach Geno's coaching career since his first or second year as head coach. But then he was on the way up. The winter of his discontent. He must be feeling miserable.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Only two teams with 3 losses in the top 25. The other one, UNC, just (understandably) lost to South Carolina with #3 Ohio State and #13 KState being the other losses. UConn plays UNC next Sunday so I expect one of the teams to drop out of the rankings next week

1. Correction. Chapel Hill lost to FGCU not Ohio State.

2. Do your job Huskies.

Reaction Score
We have UNC and L'ville coming up. I don't feel good about either game. Maybe the team will surprise. We will see soon enough.
Louisville isn't any bigger than UConn so that is good. NC on the other hand has length but they don't play it too much. UConn needs these two wins to salvage their non conference schedule.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Just remember. Tennessee was 10-6 during one of the Chamique Holdsclaw years and won the national championship. I think, if my memory serves correctly, the pollsters kept Tennessee in the top 10, because all of their early losses were to quality teams.

Reaction Score
Qual

Quality of losses is important - but so is the other side of the coin that coin. Yes, I considered MARYLAND a quality win at the time, but . . .
You guys are lighting it up this season! I'm no Staley fan (never was) but wow. I wish we had gotten Cardoso. The whole team is fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Last year, before Paige's knee problem, was suppose to be our year...Dorka, Lou, Azzi, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, CD...wow, but no....This year was maybe going to be our year with Jana, Azzi, Ayanna, and Paige being back....not anymore. We have gotten so used to be in the top 3 whenever the ranking came out, we now learning to appreciate whatever the teams gives us.

Reaction Score
Well rankings are up for interpretation of the voter right? Are we making rankings based on projections or results?

Not to sound dismissive - but the only reason UConn is ranked at all with a 4-3 record is because they are UConn. Teams with brand recognition are always given the benefit of the doubt. Happens with Bama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and every SEC team in football. Happens with Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State and UNC-CH in men’s basketball.

Let a non-traditional school start 4-3 and have 0 signature wins and see where they are ranked. They won’t be.

Don’t get me wrong, I think UConn is absolutely one of the best 25 teams in the nation and I’m still confident they will figure things out in the absence of Fudd and will hit their stride and rise up in the top 10 again this season. But if we are ranking teams based on results … that’s a generous spot.

Reaction Score
Wow. Seeing us at #17 hurts a little. Been a long time seeing us in that range of the Top 25. Just have to go out and handle business the best we can.

Reaction Score
Well rankings are up for interpretation of the voter right? Are we making rankings based on projections or results?

Not to sound dismissive - but the only reason UConn is ranked at all with a 4-3 record is because they are UConn. Teams with brand recognition are always given the benefit of the doubt. Happens with Bama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and every SEC team in football. Happens with Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State and UNC-CH in men’s basketball.

Let a non-traditional school start 4-3 and have 0 signature wins and see where they are ranked. They won’t be.

Don’t get me wrong, I think UConn is absolutely one of the best 25 teams in the nation and I’m still confident they will figure things out in the absence of Fudd and will hit their stride and rise up in the top 10 again this season. But if we are ranking teams based on results … that’s a generous spot.
Well, they started at #2, based on their roster, so a lot of people thought they’d be good. When you lose multiple starters it’s hard to expect wins against very good teams. They were only down 7 in the 4th quarter last game, it just seemed like much more, and it ended up a bit more, but except for the first 4-5 minutes it was an even game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom