AP Poll - Dec. 4, 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Dec. 4, 2023

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that this is the lowest point in Coach Geno's coaching career since his first or second year as head coach. But then he was on the way up. The winter of his discontent. He must be feeling miserable.
Geno & UCONN have been figuring out how to win for a long, long time.
It’s been even longer since they’ve had to come up with a formula that would enable them not to lose.
Two very different missions.
And let’s not be too dismissive of our conference opponents.
If the OOC coaches & players can spot & exploit our weaknesses, so can they.
Whatever the circumstances ( injury, reliance on freshmen, lack of size, poor ball handling, etc.) the quality differential between UCONN & some of the Big East squads is no longer the lopsided joke it used to be.
If, in November 2022 we were told that we would drop games to Marquette & St.John’s, the hoots & howls of derision would have been deafening.
Like confidence & success, dejection & defeat can also be contagious.
Like it or not, BE play will not be a vacation or breather this season.
Geno & staff are going to have to come up with some answers ( & everything is on the table) in fairly short order.
It’s not a matter of patience vs panic.
You either have an elite program with a commitment to excellence or you don’t.

Reaction Score
Well, they started at #2, based on their roster, so a lot of people thought they’d be good. When you lose multiple starters it’s hard to expect wins against very good teams. They were only down 7 in the 4th quarter last game, it just seemed like much more, and it ended up a bit more, but except for the first 4-5 minutes it was an even game.
I don’t disagree with anything you say here. But being preseason #2 shouldn’t justify still being ranked after being a game over .500 after 7 games.

Rankings before a game is played mean nothing. That’s entirely based on brands and perception.

I think it’s admirable that UConn challenges itself with real quality non conference opponents, I wish more teams did so. I don’t fault UConn for its current record, injuries and a difficult schedule can 100% explain why they are where they are and if they scheduled non conference like Michigan football does then they’d likely be 7-0 and ranked #2 with the exact same team. But it would also be a mirage.

They’ll figure it out. Too much talent on the team and too good of a coach not to. Selfishly, I hope Sunday vs UNC-CH kicks starts things! Maybe if Chapel Hill loses for a 4th time in 10 games the voters will finally drop them out of the rankings.

Reaction Score
Yes the pressure is on for the streak of weeks being ranked. I hate that several streaks that define the Uconn legacy have come to an end largely because of crippling injuries. The incredible record of not losing back to back games since 1993, 14 straight Final Fours, the Elite 8 streak etc.

We still have some, but the consecutive weeks being ranked is surely at risk now. We also have a long run of making the sweet sixteen and I presume consecutive conference titles. Hopefully we can beat North Carolina and keep that and the others intact, but Caroline and Ayanna can't return soon enough.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Closing out this week's poll, #11 Utah, #20 FSU, #24 UNC, and #25 Penn St (2x) lost, so there will be some new teams at the bottom. Perhaps we might see Miami (8-0), UNLV (9-0), TCU (10-0).

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Closing out this week's poll, #11 Utah, #20 FSU, #24 UNC, and #25 Penn St (2x) lost, so there will be some new teams at the bottom. Perhaps we might see Miami (8-0), UNLV (9-0), TCU (10-0).
And there will probably be very little movement in the top 19 this week except if the Utes drop quite a few spots. I would not understand it if any of the teams behind them move up more than one spot. Unless it's UConn :):rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And there will probably be very little movement in the top 19 this week except if the Utes drop quite a few spots. I would not understand it if any of the teams behind them move up more than one spot. Unless it's UConn :):rolleyes:
I don’t expect Utah to be punished for losing to South Carolina. They pushed the Gamecocks to the end of the game. It was closer than the final score

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don’t expect Utah to be punished for losing to South Carolina. They pushed the Gamecocks to the end of the game. It was closer than the final score
Totally agree with you.

Reaction Score
Pili is awesome. She is the type of player who can carry a team to the aElite 8 on her own broad shoulders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom