AP poll 2/4: How far will UConn drop? | The Boneyard

AP poll 2/4: How far will UConn drop?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I could see them dropping to anywhere between 3 and 5.

There will also be some shuffling in the 7-10 range, after the losses by Stanford and NC State. Also major movement in the 12-16 range due to losses by Texas, Iowa and Rutgers.

My prediction:
  1. Baylor
  2. Louisville (+1)
  3. Oregon (+1)
  4. UConn (-2)
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Miss St
  7. Oregon St (+2)
  8. Marquette (+2)
  9. Stanford (-1)
  10. NC State (-3)
  11. Maryland
  12. South Carolina (+4)
  13. Gonzaga (+2)
  14. Utah
  15. Texas (-3)
  16. Iowa (-3)
  17. Syracuse (+1)
  18. Kentucky (+1)
  19. Texas A&M (+1)
  20. Arizona St (+1)
  21. Rutgers (-4)
  22. Michigan St
  23. Iowa St
  24. North Carolina (NR)
  25. Florida St (-1)
Dropping out: BYU
Still unranked: Tennessee :) (had to throw that in there to end on a positive)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I like your prediction Plebe.

My thoughts are UConn will drop to #5. The writers seem to have written off our win over ND. That will solidify Creme's moving UConn to a #2 seed in the tournament. Creme has also stated that ND's loss to UNC is not a bad loss and ND is still a 1 seed.

Reaction Score

There will also be some shuffling in the 7-10 range, after the losses by Stanford and NC State. Also major movement in the 12-16 range due to losses by Texas, Iowa and Rutgers.

My prediction:
  1. Baylor
  2. Louisville (+1)
  3. Oregon (+1)
  4. UConn (-2)
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Miss St
  7. Oregon St (+2)
  8. Marquette (+2)
  9. Stanford (-1)
  10. NC State (-3)
  11. Maryland
  12. South Carolina (+4)
  13. Gonzaga (+2)
  14. Utah
  15. Texas (-3)
  16. Iowa (-3)
  17. Syracuse (+1)
  18. Kentucky (+1)
  19. Texas A&M (+1)
  20. Arizona St (+1)
  21. Rutgers (-4)
  22. Michigan St
  23. Iowa St
  24. North Carolina (NR)
  25. Florida St (-1)
looks pretty reasonable. We need to remember, Louisville was ranked #3 and UCONN #2 when they played, so there should not be a BIG drop... and ND still has 2 losses with one of them being to UCONN, so it seems reasonable for UCONN to remain ahead of them by one....and being that we're talking about few spots ahead of them...your rankings make a lot of sense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like your prediction Plebe. My thoughts are UConn will drop to #5. The writers seem to have written off our win over ND. That will solidify Creme's moving UConn to a #2 seed in the tournament.

Agreed. Together with UNC's win over NC St which makes ND's loss to NC less of a 'bad' loss.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I like your prediction Plebe.

My thoughts are UConn will drop to #5. The writers seem to have written off our win over ND. That will solidify Creme's moving UConn to a #2 seed in the tournament. Creme has also stated that ND's loss to UNC is not a bad loss and ND is still a 1 seed.
The AP poll and bracketology predictions are independent of each other. The one doesn't solidify the other.

Reaction Score
South Carolina continues to impress. This team is getting better every game. Will be a scary team come tournament time.

Reaction Score
The AP poll and bracketology predictions are independent of each other. The one doesn't solidify the other.
IS Charlie Creme "in the room" during the Tournament selection process? IF NOT, then HIS statement that "ND's place as #1 seed is not questionned"... should not be taken as the final word. ND lost 2 times... to UCONN and an UNRANKED (at the time) UNC team. At the same point in the season, UCONN has lost 2 times... to the Current #1 and #3 teams (with #3 likely to be #2 this week). HOW can that not keep UCONN ranked above ND??:confused::confused::confused:

Plebe

Reaction Score
South Carolina continues to impress. This team is getting better every game. Will be a scary team come tournament time.
The 2/11 game in Storrs will be absolutely no cakewalk. UConn will have to bring it or else the Boneyard will completely implode.

Plebe

Reaction Score
IS Charlie Creme "in the room" during the Tournament selection process? IF NOT, then HIS statement that "ND's place as #1 seed is not questionned"... should not be taken as the final word. ND lost 2 times... to UCONN and an UNRANKED UNC team. At the same point in the season, UCONN has lost 2 times... to the Current #1 and #3 teams (with #3 likely to be #2 this week). HOW can that not keep UCONN ranked above ND??:confused::confused::confused:
Because tournament seeding is based on more than just counting losses.

ND's loss to UNC is mitigated in the committee's eyes by the fact they were missing a key starter (provided that Jackie Young is available for postseason play).

And in any event, that one loss is outweighed by ND's resume of top-25 and top-50 wins, which far exceeds UConn's.

Reaction Score
Because tournament seeding is based on more than just counting losses.

ND's loss to UNC is mitigated in the committee's eyes by the fact they were missing a key starter (provided that Jackie Young is available for postseason play).

And in any event, that one loss is outweighed by ND's resume of top-25 and top-50 wins, which far exceeds UConn's.
OK... that tracks... but
(1) Jackie Young DID play when UCONN beat ND on their Home Court by 18 pts.
(2) ND lost to an unranked UNC Team, that has shown little or nothing before that game... some may have expected that they could/should have won that game with 1, 2, or more starters taking the night off... I suspect MM surely expected a W that game, even without Jackie.
(3) UCONN's losses have been to the two teams likely ranked #1 and #2 this week,on their courts.
(4) Charlie Creme seems to make some fan base upset every year...and his "bracketology" does not always (or often??) match up with the Committee's rankings.

None of it really matters in the end... the team that's going to win the NC has to be the one who "brings it" for those final 6 games.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My prediction:
  1. Baylor
  2. Louisville (+1)
  3. Oregon (+1)
  4. UConn (-2)
  5. Notre Dame
Reasonable prediction. However, the gap between ND and Oregon was only two points last week. It was basically a tie. So it would be a little strange if UConn landed in between them.

If anything, I would think ND's stock went up this week after absolutely hammering Clemson and GA Tech with Young back in the lineup and UNC taking down NC State.

But on an indvidual-ballot level, I could see voters taking into account the head-to-head and wanting to put UConn above ND.

Reaction Score
Reasonable prediction. However, the gap between ND and Oregon was only two points last week. It was basically a tie. So it would be a little strange if UConn landed in between them.

If anything, I would think ND's stock went up this week after absolutely hammering Clemson and GA Tech with Young back in the lineup and UNC taking down NC State.

But on an indvidual-ballot level, I could see voters taking into account the head-to-head and wanting to put UConn above ND.
UConn will be 5, voters don’t seem to care who the 2 losses were against & that they were on the road. They’re just ready for new faces at the top.

Plebe

Reaction Score

I was very close to predicting UConn at #5. And in fact if I were filling out a ballot, that's where I'd put them.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
No drop for Utah with 2 losses, even if they were to UO and OSU, on the road.

Reaction Score
1. Baylor
2. Louisville
3. Oregon
4. ND
5. Uconn
6. UNC (joking of course but will they crack the top 25?) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UConn will be 5, voters don’t seem to care who the 2 losses were against & that they were on the road. They’re just ready for new faces at the top.
"...just ready for new faces at the top"....seems like an illogical reason for ranking Teams...filled with bias and unfairness. Putting UCONN at 5, but having ND, Oregon, Louisville and Baylor above them doesn't put new faces in the top 5... the same teams for the past 3 or so years. It may end up that way through the "eye test"... but lets remember, ND lost to UNC who has NINE losses...the two teams UCONN lost to have a COMBINED TWO losses. :confused::confused:

Reaction Score
"...just ready for new faces at the top"....seems like an illogical reason for ranking Teams...filled with bias and unfairness. Putting UCONN at 5, but having ND, Oregon, Louisville and Baylor above them doesn't put new faces in the top 5... the same teams for the past 3 or so years. It may end up that way through the "eye test"... but lets remember, ND lost to UNC who has NINE losses...the two teams UCONN lost to have a COMBINED TWO losses. :confused::confused:

Don't forget, we're talking about the voters of these polls. For one Debbie Antonelli is ready to move UConn to Siberia, if she has the chance.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, we're talking about the voters of these polls. For one Debbie Antonelli is ready to move UConn to Siberia, if she has the chance.
That's why I am so glad the NC is determined on the basketball court by those who "play the game" and not by "people who vote" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Is that your own opinion or you just don’t want to contridict to the upcoming AP poll?
I was very close to predicting UConn at #5. And in fact if I were filling out a ballot, that's where I'd put them.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The reason that @bbballfan23 suggested is NOT how the voters will determine their ballots. You seem to be very convinced that the quantity/quality of losses is the most important determinant, for poll voters, for Creme, and for the selection committee. But the committee values good wins more than bad losses. I know that @Plebe and @vowelguy have explained this many times on this board, probably in response to some of your posts. Notre Dame has more high quality wins, which is why they are presently a 1-seed and Creme has UConn as a 2-seed, despite the fact that UConn beat ND convincingly in South Bend.

As for what the voters contemplate, who knows? It's probably different factors for each voter and I'll bet sometimes biases get in the way. But we don't have to worry what voters say because the tournament decides the champ.

Reaction Score
  1. Baylor
  2. Louisville (+1)
  3. Oregon (+1)
  4. Notre Dame (+1)
  5. UConn (-3)
  6. Miss St
  7. Oregon St (+2)
  8. Marquette (+2)
  9. Stanford (-1)
  10. NC State (-3)
  11. Maryland
  12. South Carolina (+4)
  13. Gonzaga (+2)
  14. TAMU (+6)
  15. Texas (-3)
  16. Iowa (-3)
  17. Utah (-3)
  18. Syracuse
  19. Kentucky
  20. Rutgers (-3)
  21. Arizona St
  22. Michigan St
  23. Iowa St
  24. Florida St
  25. UNC (new)

Reaction Score

My prediction:
  1. Baylor
  2. Louisville (+1)
  3. Oregon (+1)
  4. UConn (-2)
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Miss St
  7. Oregon St (+2)
  8. Marquette (+2)
  9. Stanford (-1)
  10. NC State (-3)
  11. Maryland
  12. South Carolina (+4)
  13. Gonzaga (+2)
  14. Utah
  15. Texas (-3)
  16. Iowa (-3)
  17. Syracuse (+1)
  18. Kentucky (+1)
  19. Texas A&M (+1)
  20. Arizona St (+1)
  21. Rutgers (-4)
  22. Michigan St
  23. Iowa St
  24. North Carolina (NR)
  25. Florida St (-1)

The current ranking changes reflects previous comments on WCB parity, but I believe ND is the best college team when they have a full team and are focused. We have the best team when we are playing inspired defense, shooting 70 % and aren't beat up or hurt.

Reaction Score
The reason that @bbballfan23 suggested is NOT how the voters will determine their ballots. You seem to be very convinced that the quantity/quality of losses is the most important determinant, for poll voters, for Creme, and for the selection committee. But the committee values good wins more than bad losses. I know that @Plebe and @vowelguy have explained this many times on this board, probably in response to some of your posts. Notre Dame has more high quality wins, which is why they are presently a 1-seed and Creme has UConn as a 2-seed, despite the fact that UConn beat ND convincingly in South Bend.

As for what the voters contemplate, who knows? It's probably different factors for each voter and I'll bet sometimes biases get in the way. But we don't have to worry what voters say because the tournament decides the champ.
Thank You... and No...they did not explain the process to my comments.

IMHO, my view is just as logical... UCONN beat ND (ranked #1 at the time) at their place by 18...i.e. a VERY GOOD WIN. UCONN has lost to #1 and likely #2 at each Team's home court...i.e., NOT bad losses. UCONN has beaten every other team they played (pretty or not, they were still Ws)....including those that were unranked...as opposed to ND. That's all I'm saying...and it seems to make sense that UCONN's two losses should "hurt less" than ND's two losses... but clearly my logic doesn't over ride voter bias. AND, as we both said, the NC is decided on the court, not in a room of "talking heads" or by someone sitting at a desk deciding which team He or She "likes" today when they fill out their ranking. This is of course a major reason NCAA Football went to their current playoff system (as imperfect as it is...but other constraints are at work there).

Plebe

Reaction Score
Is that your own opinion or you just don’t want to contridict to the upcoming AP poll?
That's my opinion, based on how the teams have been playing for the past month or so. UConn just hasn't looked sharp at all.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Thank You... and No...they did not explain the process to my comments.

IMHO, my view is just as logical... UCONN beat ND (ranked #1 at the time) at their place by 18...i.e. a VERY GOOD WIN. UCONN has lost to #1 and likely #2 at each Team's home court...i.e., NOT bad losses. UCONN has beaten every other team they played (pretty or not, they were still Ws)....including those that were unranked...as opposed to ND. That's all I'm saying...and it seems to make sense that UCONN's two losses should "hurt less" than ND's two losses... but clearly my logic doesn't over ride voter bias. AND, as we both said, the NC is decided on the court, not in a room of "talking heads" or by someone sitting at a desk deciding which team He or She "likes" today when they fill out their ranking. This is of course a major reason NCAA Football went to their current playoff system (as imperfect as it is...but other constraints are at work there).
No, you're not quite following my line of thought. UConn's two losses are definitely better than Notre Dame's 2 losses, but the quality of wins is even more important in the minds of the selection committee (and Notre Dame has that advantage over UConn in spades). The poll voters probably also consider the quality of wins as opposed to just the W-L record, but clearly not as much as the selection committee (cf Maryland's poll vs. seeding a couple of years ago and Baylor's last year).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom