AP poll 12/4 | The Boneyard

AP poll 12/4

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Looking at Texas' schedule, and they finally play a ranked team Sunday in UT, 1-15-18 may settle the illusory regular season crown.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Looking at Texas' schedule, and they finally play a ranked team Sunday in UT, 1-15-18 may settle the illusory regular season crown.
(wearing my native Texan hat) Uh, excuse me, but Texas *is* UT.

Those imposters in ugly orange are undeserving.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If Tennessee beats Texas. Then Tennessee is in top ten. If Texas wins are they still no 2?

Plebe

Reaction Score
If Tennessee beats Texas. Then Tennessee is in top ten. If Texas wins are they still no 2?
Um, where else would they be? They're not gonna move up unless (cough) DePaul beats UConn. Are you thinking they might move down?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Um, where else would they be? They're not gonna move up unless (cough) DePaul beats UConn. Are you thinking they might move down?
No if they win. They should stay there.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Right, they should. I don't understand why this was a question.
Ok I should have rephrased the question. If Texas wins are the the second best team in the country?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ok I should have rephrased the question. If Texas wins are the the second best team in the country?
You mean regardless of what the poll might say?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes.
I mean, in terms of resume Notre Dame would still have much better wins than Texas. ND has a win over South Carolina plus wins over Oregon State and South Florida.

If we're just talking about eye test, then a lot will depend on how they win. The other issue is that we don't yet know just how meaningful a win over Tennessee would be. Tennessee could end up outside the top 25 again, or they could end up top 10.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well obviously who is #2, or who is the 2nd best team, is up for debate. At this juncture, most would agree that Texas does not have the resume (ie. tough schedule) to be able to accurately judge.

And Tennessee has done what they were supposed to - feasted on their cupcakes. Having said that, Tenn barely escaped Marquette with a W (Marquette has shown they are not a top 25 team), and Tenn beat a dreadful Wichita State team (2-7 currently) by only 12. So what to make of them? Not sure yet.

Tenn has one more snack in Troy on the 6th, then it's Texas. We will know more about both teams after that game...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I mean, in terms of resume Notre Dame would still have much better wins than Texas. ND has a win over South Carolina plus wins over Oregon State and South Florida.

If we're just talking about eye test, then a lot will depend on how they win. The other issue is that we don't yet know just how meaningful a win over Tennessee would be. Tennessee could end up outside the top 25 again, or they could end up top 10.
I think Texas has the talent to beat any team. I will admit. This game is a concern. How will the Tennessee freshman do in this game? Both teams like to score of the break. So turnovers will be important part of the game.

Reaction Score
Let me take some of the suspense out of it for you. Texas is going to beat the snot out of Tennessee and we won’t know any more about Texas than we do right now. What we will know about Tennessee is that they can’t compete with serious contenders.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Let me take some of the suspense out of it for you. Texas is going to beat the snot out of Tennessee and we won’t know any more about Texas than we do right now. What we will know about Tennessee is that they can’t compete with serious contenders.
What ever the result of this game. There is still a lot of basketball left.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Texas has the talent to beat any team. I will admit. This game is a concern. How will the Tennessee freshman do in this game? Both teams like to score of the break. So turnovers will be important part of the game.
Well if there is any fanbase in the country that oughta know that talent does not always win games, it's Tennessee's.

Texas was also very talented last year but they *barely* survived NC State in the 2nd round and then fizzled in the Sweet 16.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
AP Women's Basketball Poll Week 5

Some highlights:
  • Notre Dame stays at #3.
  • Ohio State drops from #8 to #12 after losing to Duke.
  • Tennessee, as a result, bumps up to #11 — on the verge of cracking the top 10!
  • Green Bay enters at #23.
  • Marquette drops out.

USF also moves up one place in AP poll to #16.

We next play @Oklahoma which we expected, when we scheduled them, would give us a bump up in the rankings, if we won there. However, Oklahoma just lost badly at home to Florida and still has to play on Wednesday @South Dakota State, who just lost to #4 UL by only four. So, if they also lose that game and we also beat them, it won't be seen as a big a deal. Though both of them are still receiving votes.

With Oklahoma, Dayton and Michigan State not looking as strong as expected, we are now predicted, by Massey, to be 15-1 when we face UConn at home on 1/6.

If that happens, we might be ranked around #10 by then.

Massey predicts we have a 4% chance to beat UConn, with a final score: USF 60 - UConn 81.

Massey Ratings - South Florida Bulls

In the meantime, much depends on whether our team can quickly get healthy and how our transfer Rader does when she first gets her chance to play, supposedly, @Oklahoma.

Right now, we have a very short bench and we can't expect our starting five to play so many minutes and continue to win all by themselves.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Regarding my prior post in this thread, I was curious about something.

We originally were scheduled to play Baylor and they pulled out of the tourney and we play Dayton instead.

Let's say we had played Baylor and lost by less than 10 points and we were 14-2 (with losses to ND and Baylor), instead of being 15-1, would that have made a difference in our ranking when we play UConn?

It seems to me that even a relatively close loss (10 or less points) to a top 10 team might be looked upon as better by the voters than a win against a top 50 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom