AP Poll 11/13 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AP Poll 11/13

Reaction Score
UConn lost 3 guys to the NBA and has not played anybody yet. As a fanbase we know more about the program than the "experts". Clingan still hasn't played more than 16 minutes. There is a cost to playing "cupcakes" early as nobody watches or cares. There is also more of a benefit to the marquee games in the early season as they get more eyeballs. 6-0 going to Kansas will be noticed.

Reaction Score
Not if you watched the game - both looked like 12-15th ranked teams.
Must of watched different games. Arizona will finish as a top 10 team.

With so few data points a win like Arizona had will always (and should) move them up considerably.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Parrish was pretty candid on his podcast that he didn't want to move Duke too far down because he doesn't want teams punished for playing big nonconf home and homes (especially early in the season) and losing to good teams. It's not the best way to rank teams, but the greater good of the sport sentiment is nice. So he just moved Arizona up ahead of Duke basically.

It’ll be interesting if he keeps the same stance when we go to Gonzaga and KANSAS

Reaction Score
Must of watched different games. Arizona will finish as a top 10 team.

With so few data points a win like Arizona had will always (and should) move them up considerably.
I get the moving up with few data points, but let's put it like this... would you trade teams with AZ based on what we've seen from us and them? Under no circumstance would I.

Reaction Score
I get the moving up with few data points, but let's put it like this... would you trade teams with AZ based on what we've seen from us and them? Under no circumstance would I.
No, but I would reward a team for going to Duke and winning over beating Stonehill and NAU at home.

I have no issue with Arizona jumping like they did. Arizona and UConn both play plenty of very good teams in the next 3 weeks, it will all work itself out.

Reaction Score
What exactly did you see from Duke that gives you the confidence that they're going to be a Top 10 team all season? We would beat them by 20 if we played them right now. They looked horrible on offense and have zero interior defense
Fillipowski is very good and usually a very good player in a mediocre league will do that.

They didn't look great right now. Would we beat them by 20? Who knows? The two teams we have played are absolutely atrocious. Stonehill is mindnumbingly bad. There's almost nothing we can draw from this. I do think both Duke and UConn will be much better by March, though.

Reaction Score
That said, I don't think Arizona is going to jump any of the undefeated Top 4. The media had a narrative that there were 6 elite teams (Duke, Kansas, UConn, Purdue, Michigan State, Marquette) and then everyone else. Two of those "elite teams" have lost. Arizona probably jumps to 5-6 and Duke falls to 6-8.
Well, wrong on Arizona. Really didn't think they'd jump ahead of UConn or Marquette. Whatevs. Second AP poll isn't that important, and as of right now they have the best win in CBB. Well, them or James Madison. Props to JMU for getting ranked.

Reaction Score
Fillipowski is very good and usually a very good player in a mediocre league will do that.

They didn't look great right now. Would we beat them by 20? Who knows? The two teams we have played are absolutely atrocious. Stonehill is mindnumbingly bad. There's almost nothing we can draw from this. I do think both Duke and UConn will be much better by March, though.
Flip is the one player who actually stood out. If he is not a lottery pick after this year, then that is a horrible, horrible look for Scheyer and his ability to develop talent. Roach is a decent guard, but nothing special like Dauster (lol) claimed. Their interior is going to kill them. They’re lucky they aren’t in the Big East because they wouldn’t finish top 4 with the front courts that our conference has. And also all the hype around Proctor being the best guard in CBB this year? He did not look like a lottery talent. I don’t understand the hype around him.

It’s early, but I don’t think they’re that good, nor do I think Scheyer has any clue what he’s doing. Just take a look at that inbounds call he drew up on the final play. They’ll beat up on a super weak ACC and then get crushed in the tournament

Reaction Score
It’s all relative. For a top 3 team, with many people in the media crowning them as having most talented roster, they looked terrible. They don’t rebound, they have zero interior defense, and Scheyer looked like he has no idea how to run an offense.

Duke gets the full benefit of the doubt. Kansas too. I think those are the only 2 w/ UNC and UK slipping. I think if we have a wire to wire top 10 season we will continue to get more and more of the benefit of the doubt.

And I do think there is a pretty decent chance Duke’s talent is overrated. So much of their hype is predicated on a hot shooting stretch down the stretch by Proctor and the assumption is that he will become an All American level player. Not sure I buy that. Also their roster construction doesn’t fit nearly as well as ours. Flip has his limitations and they don’t look like they will be good at rim protection or rebounding. They have 4 similarly sized high IQ guards, none exactly electric or special at getting to the rim as far as I can tell. No absolute snipers. Maybe McCain? And 2 super athletic but raw 4s. I know I am being swayed my my Duke hatred but I don’t think they are a sure fire top 10 team throughout the season unless their very young guards are absolute studs.

Reaction Score
It’s all relative. For a top 3 team, with many people in the media crowning them as having most talented roster, they looked terrible. They don’t rebound, they have zero interior defense, and Scheyer looked like he has no idea how to run an offense.

Duke gets the full benefit of the doubt. Kansas too. I think those are the only 2 w/ UNC and UK slipping. I think if we have a wire to wire top 10 season we will continue to get more and more of the benefit of the doubt.

And I do think there is a pretty decent chance Duke’s talent is overrated. So much of their hype is predicated on a hot shooting stretch down the stretch by Proctor and the assumption is that he will become an All American level player. Not sure I buy that. Also their roster construction doesn’t fit nearly as well as ours. Flip has his limitations and they don’t look like they will be good at rim protection or rebounding. They have 4 similarly sized high IQ guards, none exactly electric or special at getting to the rim as far as I can tell. No absolute snipers. Maybe McCain? And 2 super athletic but raw 4s. I know I am being swayed my my Duke hatred but I don’t think they are a sure fire top 10 team throughout the season unless their very yoingguards are absolute studs.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Duke has the pieces to be as good as anyone and Arizona is very good. AZs guards are very very good - even with love sometimes being a net negative. Duke is just not well coached imho. Stewart needs to see the court more and Mitchell’s offense is a mess and needs to be used accordingly.

Reaction Score
No, but I would reward a team for going to Duke and winning over beating Stonehill and NAU at home.

I have no issue with Arizona jumping like they did. Arizona and UConn both play plenty of very good teams in the next 3 weeks, it will all work itself out.
My point is I think Duke was over valued preseason and the AZ win is not as valuable as the jump they made in the polls (I wonder how many voting actually watched the game?!), but yes it will all work itself out. :)

Reaction Score
My point is I think Duke was over valued preseason and the AZ win is not as valuable as the jump they made in the polls (I wonder how many voting actually watched the game?!), but yes it will all work itself out. :)
Unless you think Duke should have been unranked preseason (which seems pretty crazy) the Arizona win is still either the 1st or 2nd best win of the season with JMU over Michigan State. There have been very few road wins over top 25 teams

Reaction Score
I agree. Duke is overranked right now. I think theyll be better in February than they will be in November/December.

Reaction Score
Unless you think Duke should have been unranked preseason (which seems pretty crazy) the Arizona win is still either the 1st or 2nd best win of the season with JMU over Michigan State. There have been very few road wins over top 25 teams
I don't think Duke should have been unranked - your words, not mine.

Reaction Score
10 point loss on the road to an unranked opponent. Granted we played poorly, but I don't know that it reached "Trainwreck status".
Can’t believe they were unranked, besides Paige they had 3-4 better players than the Husky women have.

Reaction Score
Could care less if they take us out of the top 25 there’s going to be a lot of crazy stuff happening in the next few weeks. Relax and see what happens. I’ve seen a few teams I think are better than us right now, but our kids will improve and mature. Long way to go let the media enjoy their own view of things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom