AP poll 1/14 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP poll 1/14

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Which team are you talking about? USF? Houston? Okla? :( :(
Ha good question. I was thinking of the team that UConn was losing to by double digits in the second half.

Reaction Score
Once again the credibility of the pollsters needs to be questioned along with their logic.

Ranking ND over UConn makes absolutely no sense in view of UConn recently totally embarrassing ND on ND's home court ..S/B Baylor, UConn, ND based on head-to-head competition.

Spare me the nonsense of ND already beating 6 ranked teams. None of those 6 teams could beat UConn.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Once again the credibility of the pollsters needs to be questioned along with their logic.

Ranking ND over UConn makes absolutely no sense in view of UConn recently totally embarrassing ND on ND's home court ..S/B Baylor, UConn, ND based on head-to-head competition.

Spare me the nonsense of ND already beating 6 ranked teams. None of those 6 teams could beat UConn.
So who should be ranked #1, do you think?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thanks Plebe! Hard for me to write this....but I watched the Oregon Ducks games this weekend, and they looked "tough", meaning, they owned UCLA on the boards yesterday, smothering defense, and, played very well as a unit. I don't see any weaknesses in this team, and, seeing massive maturity from Satou S., who is already showing dominance as a sophomore. This is a team now that doesn't have to depend on Sabrina like they did last year.
That is not good news for the rest of WCBB, D1 level.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks Plebe! Hard for me to write this....but I watched the Oregon Ducks games this weekend, and they looked "tough", meaning, they owned UCLA on the boards yesterday, smothering defense, and, played very well as a unit. I don't see any weaknesses in this team, and, seeing massive maturity from Satou S., who is already showing dominance as a sophomore. This is a team now that doesn't have to depend on Sabrina like they did last year.
Wait, is Kelly Graves coaching Oregon? Oh, ok, I am not worried, now if it was Scott Rueck with that talent, than, I would be worried-Scott yes, Kelly, not so much....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Notre Dame has the best players. They never cheat. They never commit fouls. They do not get beneficial treatment by the officials. Most of the players could qualify for sainthood, along with their wonderful coach, who is the most outstanding coach in all the land. It doesn't matter that UConn beat them in South Bend. No, no, no,. Notre Dame is very deserving of number one. They have the most talent, the most size, the most accurate shooters, they are the smartest of all students at any university ever. They will go out of their way to help anyone in need. They are truly number 1!

Reaction Score
Thanks Plebe! You're pretty efficient getting this stuff to us.
Now for my snark:
1. Minnesota has NO BUSINESS being in the top 40 never mind the top 25. They have played an abysmally easy schedule. These voters are LAZY.
#2. We all love the underdog darling, however, Marquette with 3 losses, has no business being ranked as high as they are given their weak schedule. ASU has played a much harder schedule and given team a harder time that Marquette.
#3. NO FREAKIN WAY should Maryland be #9 never mind ahead of OSU.
#4. While a nice story, NC State is a bit of fraud at #8. Wes has done a great job given the injuries but they too, HAVE NOT PLAYED a tough schedule. I suspect they will end up with 3 or 4 ACC losses when all is said and done.
#5. Louisville falling to #4 is odd as well. UConn, Baylor and Louisville all lost on the road to tough opponents but the voters should do some "eye test" assessment. Louisville belongs behind Oregon and Stanford.
#6. SC is rounding into shape but they have some tough games coming up to prove this is not a mirage. Their record against ranked teams this year is not so great.

Ok, I am done. Let me know what I screwed up.
:cool:
1. Massey agreed. Minnesota is 54

2. Massey does not agree. Marguette has the 5th best offense (UConn is 7th), and their SOS rating is fifth ( ASU is 9th)

3. Massey does not agree. He has Maryland 11th and OSU 12th.

4. Massey does not agree. NC State is ranked eighth and sixth in defense.

5. Massey agreed. Oregon is 5, Stanford 6 and Louisville 7.

6. Massey does not agree. SC has moved up all the way to 16th.

Reaction Score
Wait, is Kelly Graves coaching Oregon? Oh, ok, I am not worried, now if it was Scott Rueck with that talent, than, I would be worried-Scott yes, Kelly, not so much....:rolleyes:
Well, Geno’s quotes about Oregon’s hire of Graves when he was hired would lead me to believe he disagrees with you

Reaction Score

Massey does not agree. ND is number one, followed by Baylor and UConn. Given the way UConn has played since the ND game, that seems to make perfect sense.

Reaction Score
Massey does not agree. ND is number one, followed by Baylor and UConn. Given the way UConn has played since the ND game, that seems to make perfect sense.

Sorry, should have looked at the rough draft. UConn is still second and Baylor third.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Minnesota is still ranked in the coaches poll. smh

Plebe

Reaction Score
Minnesota is still ranked in the coaches poll. smh
And even worse, Tennessee is still #17. Seriously?!

The coaches are notoriously lazy about doing their homework before filling out the ballot. I wonder if they even know who lost and who won.

Reaction Score
ND being #1 is an absolute no brainer in my book. Baylor would be #2, and no idea who after that.
I think the question for Notre Dame is who among the top 5 or 10 have you played on the road. At season's end I think the answer will be no one. I would think this would play into the week over week ranking but to date, it doesn't seem to be taken into account. UCONN at least has a resume that speaks to playing the top ranked teams on the road, win or lose.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, Arizona St. didn't move in the AP poll and moved UP 3 spots in the coaches poll after going 1-1 at home last week. Played from behind most of the game against Stanford and barely eeked out a win against a Cal team that is dropping like a rock.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow, Arizona St. didn't move in the AP poll and moved UP 3 spots in the coaches poll after going 1-1 at home last week. Played from behind most of the game against Stanford and barely eeked out a win against a Cal team that is dropping like a rock.

Sonoran Desert Bias :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
The rankings are context-dependent. ASU lost to a much higher-ranked team (as expected) and beat a team that was ranked slightly lower. Some teams ahead of Arizona State, meanwhile, lost to unranked teams (Tennessee, Iowa), while other team immediately behind them also suffered unexpected losses. Just who exactly was supposed to be moved ahead of them?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think the question for Notre Dame is who among the top 5 or 10 have you played on the road. At season's end I think the answer will be no one. I would think this would play into the week over week ranking but to date, it doesn't seem to be taken into account. UCONN at least has a resume that speaks to playing the top ranked teams on the road, win or lose.

Her Hoop Stats has a nifty comparison tool. Here's an interesting visual of Uconn's schedule (left) vs. ND's (right)

1547587720663.png

Reaction Score
The rankings are context-dependent. ASU lost to a much higher-ranked team (as expected) and beat a team that was ranked slightly lower. Some teams ahead of Arizona State, meanwhile, lost to unranked teams (Tennessee, Iowa), while other team immediately behind them also suffered unexpected losses. Just who exactly was supposed to be moved ahead of them?
This is why we have sabermetrics!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom