AP and Coaches Poll for this week | The Boneyard

AP and Coaches Poll for this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Is there really no better team in the country to replace West Virginia in the poll?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
North Carolina and Notre Dame seem high to me. Baylor, schedule has not told us enough. Lots of stuff will sort itself by end of the month. We Huskies all know the universe will realign for us on February 9.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of good records out there. Doesn't anybody play anybody any more?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
North Carolina and Notre Dame seem high to me. Baylor, schedule has not told us enough. Lots of stuff will sort itself by end of the month. We Huskies all know the universe will realign for us on February 9.
I don't think N Dame makes it to the Final Four this year. Right now anyway.

Reaction Score
One coach switched first place vote from UConn to South Carolina. I guess it was South Carolina's 19 point win over Auburn (9-6) compared to our 16 point win over St. John's (12-2). Or maybe it was SC's 24 point win over LSU (7-7) compared UConn's 51 point win over ECU (9-5). Probably a combination of lackluster UConn performance compared to scintillating SC.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO South Florida should be ranked in the Top 25, probably below 20. They have played a tougher schedule then many of the Top 25 teams. If they weren't in the AAC, they're probably ranked. They need to run the table in the AAC with the exception of losses to UConn to make the tournament. Like UConn, USF's RPI will continue to decline while schools in the power conferences will get better

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One coach switched first place vote from UConn to South Carolina. I guess it was South Carolina's 19 point win over Auburn (9-6) compared to our 16 point win over St. John's (12-2). Or maybe it was SC's 24 point win over LSU (7-7) compared UConn's 51 point win over ECU (9-5). Probably a combination of lackluster UConn performance compared to scintillating SC.

I would not understand switching a vote over SC's wins last week. St. Johns beat Auburn by 7 and Auburn has no creditable wins this year. LSU even less credible. When ranked teams do not play similarly ranked clubs it has to be tough to make these assessments; unless, of course, they lose to unranked foes. I tried to watch the LSU game and it was tough. Neither team was well balanced and it was classic SEC run around a bit and jam it in for one of the three bigs crowded into lane to attempt to put it in. Eventually SC wore LSU down and they ran deep into their bench in doing so. I have a difficult time looking at that and evaluating how February 9 will go.

Reaction Score
IMHO South Florida should be ranked in the Top 25, probably below 20. They have played a tougher schedule then many of the Top 25 teams. If they weren't in the AAC, they're probably ranked. They need to run the table in the AAC with the exception of losses to UConn to make the tournament. Like UConn, USF's RPI will continue to decline while schools in the power conferences will get better
I saw South Florida play Maryland in November. They were too dependent on Courtney Williams and Maryland just focused on her. Kind of one-dimensional (like ND this year).

The South Florida player I like is Pujol. They should've kicked the ball out to her and let her make her threes. She did make a couple.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
USF shouldn't have to run the table, as they are #22 in Sagarin and #21 in Massey, have two top 50 wins including OK and one over a Chattanooga team that beat UTenn, and are securely in Creme's Bracketology. Any future bad losses could hurt them, but as a tough team that grinds them out, the Bulls look pretty good at this point, and it would be unprecedented if they did not get selected from around where they sit now. They also had a win in the 2013 NCAA Tournament, so they have some reputation there.

There is a third possibility for the AAC in Tulane, which would probably need a win on the road over USF to get strong consideration. In a P5 conference they would be in the prediction brackets already, but Creme knows they face an extra hurdle. But at #39 in Sagarin and #48 in Massey they are in potential selection territory and rated ahead of many P5 teams like Michigan that are now in the selection brackets, and have a top-50 win over Miami, plus they beat bad but name teams NC State and LSU.

But with so many P5 teams having played puff 300+ SOS OOC schedules to get impressive looking records that will get them 20+ wins even with their losing conference records and 2-8 finishes, Tulane is definitely an underdog for selection.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is the team to beat and everybody knows it. When Feb 9th comes UConn will be favored by at least 15 pts. If UConn comes out hot it could be 25+. SC against Cuse and Duke did not shoot at a high percentage. They were out rebounded in both games and from the like shot poorly. Those were the only games against ranked teams. UConn packs it in and puts somebody on Mitchell and presses the guards basically play a game similar that they played against Duke and UConn will roll. This season isn't much different then the past few. Its UConn and everybody else. SC will be a better team next season then again so will UConn. Sunday SC plays a quick and short Kentucky team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Finally we have a game which illustrates the "squishy" nature of ranking: Tenn Defeats Vandy 57-49 at Tenn. Nov. 29 Vandy went down to UConn 91-52. Tenn is ranked 7. Game article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/carter-leads-no-7-tennessee-57-49-win-024146976--ncaaw.html

Article points out atypical scoring for Tenn. in that bigs did not contribute mightily and some guards actually got to double figures. Guard quote indicates Holly's strategy is the old tried and true pound it inside and outrebound 'em however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom