Anyone watching URI? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone watching URI?

Reaction Score
Every big trip URI generates either an open 3 or a shot in the paint. They're having trouble finishing, but looking at where they're shooting from and when in the clock tells me this offense is pretty good.

No "dribble it down, then take a long, step-back 2 with 1 second left" to be seen.
Seriously. Do people think all offense should be backdoor cuts and sets from Hoosiers?

Reaction Score
This is so false. This URI offense has more passing and cutting than UConn. Don't watch the ball watch the guys off ball then go watch any UConn game. There is no way these offenses are similar.

There were a few possessions in a row where the ball stopped at each handler. They tried to drive, only to be shut down and put up a tough shot or turned it over. The difference, as you pointed out - URI is very well coached, the other players start moving without the ball. After 3 possessions in a row with a crap result, the very next play was a drive and a great dish to the open dunk, which was missed, but still - that is URIs offense. Drive, dish, get open shots.

We'd lose to URI by 20, we'd probably lose to OU by 20 as well...

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
What I'm seeing are RI players who know how to pass, how to receive a pass and (in the 2nd half), how to make wide open threes. Don't know how much of that is coaching versus players but it sure makes me a bit jealous.

Reaction Score
Maybe, this is the first full game I’ve watched them.

But I am watching an offense today that isn’t any more sophisticated than UConns. That I do know.

The difference is they appear to have players who can make threes.

Well it would be nice to have a coach that actually recruits players that fit his system.

Reaction Score
Drive, dish, get open shots.
That's pretty much a basketball offense, not hero ball. They also have run pick and rolls effectively, though the OU size has bothered the URI guards and led to some turnovers.

UConn's offense barely starts until there are 10 seconds left in the clock. It all ends up being long 2s as the clock expires. URI's offense is generating good looks.

Reaction Score
That's pretty much a basketball offense, not hero ball. They also have run pick and rolls effectively, though the OU size has bothered the URI guards and led to some turnovers.

UConn's offense barely starts until there are 10 seconds left in the clock. It all ends up being long 2s as the clock expires. URI's offense is generating good looks.

I'm agreeing with them being a good offense, nothing like UConn's. Drive, dish and getting open shots is exactly what a good offense does. My point was for 3 straight possessions when OU was starting to pull away (up 8 I think), the ball stopped when each player touched it. They were frustrated with the length of OU and for 3 straight possessions, they played one on one into a turnover or bad shot. The difference between UConn and URI is that URI understands how to overcome that type of play. Coaching has a lot to do with it. Like I said, the very next possession was a great drive and dish to a missed wide open dunk. UConn would have kept giving it to TL for a step back air ball fade away.

Reaction Score
Last 2 possessions have looked like UConn. Matthews bailed them out with the +1 and then Terrell jacked up a long-range 3 that was destined to brick.

Not great.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is so false. This URI offense has more passing and cutting than UConn. Don't watch the ball watch the guys off ball then go watch any UConn game. There is no way these offenses are similar.
The movement is quicker. Expected when you have five smaller players on the team and the team has played together for a while. The limitation for UConn was having a combo guard run things, relatively poor 3 pt shooters, and bigs that are still learning or will never develop into decent players.

I'm enjoying this game. Hope RI wins. It's a great game. Just hard for me to know how much is coaching and how much is players.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Last 2 possessions have looked like UConn. Matthews bailed them out with the +1 and then Terrell jacked up a long-range 3 that was destined to brick.

Not great.

This can't be serious. Every team in the country has hero ball possessions. It happens but it isn't offense unlike UConn.

Reaction Score

Not great.
The announcers keep saying it, and usually it means they're wrong. But they aren't: URI is out of gas. They don't have the quality depth outside of their top 6 or so to compete with OU. Not a problem if he were at UConn (unlike what KO did in running JA down).

Reaction Score
I'm agreeing with them being a good offense, nothing like UConn's. Drive, dish and getting open shots is exactly what a good offense does. My point was for 3 straight possessions when OU was starting to pull away (up 8 I think), the ball stopped when each player touched it. They were frustrated with the length of OU and for 3 straight possessions, they played one on one into a turnover or bad shot. The difference between UConn and URI is that URI understands how to overcome that type of play. Coaching has a lot to do with it. Like I said, the very next possession was a great drive and dish to a missed wide open dunk. UConn would have kept giving it to Larrier for a step back air ball fade away.
Sorry. Thought you were making the silly take others have been.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Can they make their Free Throws though? Been a struggle so far.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That wasn't a knee hit. No one is that big.

Reaction Score
This can't be serious. Every team in the country has hero ball possessions. It happens but it isn't offense unlike UConn.
No, I was totally serious about that. URI's run really good offense pretty much all game until the last two possessions. That long 3 from Terrell after 8 seconds of stand-still dribbling with 2 seconds left on the clock is the first page in KO's playbook.

The announcers keep saying it, and usually it means they're wrong. But they aren't: URI is out of gas. They don't have the quality depth outside of their top 6 or so to compete with OU.
Yeah I mostly agree with this. Also.... kids are kids. Even if you coach them they'll sometimes be dumb.

Reaction Score
Yeah I am seeing more dishing after a drive for open threes, liking that.

By the way, Oklahoma is 18-13, and 9th in their league. Not exactly a powerhouse, regardless of having Trey Young.
They beat Oregon by 10 and lost to Arkansas by 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom