Anyone see the fantastic discussion taking place on the Syracuse board? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone see the fantastic discussion taking place on the Syracuse board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is actually very interesting. People obviously look first to the NC's, and of course that's the Holy Grail and it's all UCONN by a landslide, but for the rest of the NCAA tourney stats, it's fairly even, with Syracuse making it to more Sweet 16's than UCONN. Now I'm not saying that puts them on even footing at all, but it does speak to the overall success of that program, albeit one that can't win the big one with any regularity...
Syracuse has had many, many early round losses in the NCAA tournament and this is despite usually having a pretty decent seeding. The facts are that Cuse has embarrassed themselves and the Big East conference (back when) on multiple occasions by their early dismissals, usually against much lower rated teams. How many people can say that about UConn who has actually had phenomenal overall success in the NCAA tournament, at least since JC arrived on campus in 1985. The irony is that the Cuse fans continue to overlook all these humiliating losses, pretending they didn't happen. It seems they're locked into their own little world where the NCAA tournament doesn't mean anything at all. Look at this year and check their record. They started 25-0 and then LOST HOW MANY GAMES to end their season. Totally awful and yet their board is still inundated by clueless punks who must somehow delude themselves into acting like THEY won the National Championship, despite their historic underachieving ways. Weird stuff, indeed.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Has Boeheim's style of basketball ever made him a candidate for an NBA job, over the years? Was he looked at after the Melo title? I doubt Hopkins ever becomes their coach. Maybe Gerry Mac one day. Are future coaches, obligated to run a zone there? It's only worked once.

Reaction Score
They are above playing 4-time National Champions UConn. Why? Because they have 1 fluke title in their entire pathetic history. Boeheim leaving would help if they didn't have a coach in waiting that has been rejected by every joke program including Oregon State. But hey! They are in the same conference as Wake Forest so their results have to improve!

Reaction Score
Cuse fans are more pathetic than Donald Sterling's ability to get it up with V. Stiviano

Reaction Score
There's only one team from the old conference that we need to play year in and out and that is Louisville. The "Cuse game is no better or worse than the "U"-game. It doesn't help us at all to play them. As I mentioned before they are a team at a crossroads- a legendary coach is in his waning years and the future for the program is neither on an upswing or downswing. No one knows. The media waited on us after JC left, and I think that it is fair to wait on the Orange.What I've read here has more to do with either the past or some emotional tie that neither program ever had with the other. If JC were here than yes there would be some reason, but with KO there is really none.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite from one of them:

"I grew up with the original Big East, that's when I fell in love with Syracuse. I would rather keep those rivalries alive than with any team from the 'expanded' Big East. I'm old school, I guess. UCONN doesn't do it for me. They never have. They have had a tremendous amount of success and we've had some good games, but playing UCONN just doesn't excite me for some reason, there just doesn't seem to be any true rivalry between the teams - the true rivalry with UCONN seems to be among the fan bases if you ask me."

Guess this old school genius wasn't paying to much attention since UConn is an original member.

Reaction Score
Guess this old school genius wasn't paying to much attention since UConn is an original member.

There was a recent documentary about the early Big East saying that there were only three schools, Syracuse, Georgetown and St. Johns. The gentleman probably missed the Part 2 of the documentary where this other school came out of nowhere and dominated for a couple of decades

Reaction Score
Some wealthy TV exec should sponsor a preseason tournament with a rotating field of some combination of 4 teams from the original big east (including BC, no Rutgers). Have it in NY and it would be a mini BET every year and must see TV to start the season. Call it the Dave Gavitt Classic. I kind of miss playing Providence, St Johns and Seton Hall every now and then

Reaction Score
There is currently a heated discussion on the Syracuse board ( http://syracusefan.com/threads/annual-su-uconn-in-msg.77071/ ) regarding whether Cuse should schedule a series with UConn, much like the one they just established with Georgetown.

Just like you would expect, the entire thread is consumed with obnoxious and cocky Cuse fans who sincerely believe they are above playing UConn ever again. My jaw was quite literally on the floor as I skimmed through this thread, i have never seen a more pretentious and downright delusional fan base on a message board. If an outside observer who doesnt follow college basketball took a quick look at this thread, you would think Duke fans were discussing if it was worthwhile to start a home-and-home series with Northern Illinois University.

Their belief that every OOC game Syracuse plays must somehow "benefit" the program goes to show how delusional they are. As if playing UConn would be outlandish for them because it would do nothing for their program, how does that make any logical sense, this holier than thou attitude they possess is comical. They truly think the world sees them standing shoulder to shoulder with the like of UCLA, UK, Duke, UNC, KU, and UConn.

Conference realignment has truly been the single greatest thing to happen to that pathetic program, allowing themselves to space themselves from the single most successful program of the last two decades, in a way forcing the national viewers to forget their massive ineptitude at accomplishing anything nationally relevant. Having to play UConn each year reminds the viewers how far Syracuse has to left to go before it has any chance of even sitting in the same room as the current National Powerhouse programs. The day UConn gets out of the AAC, will be a sad day for the Syracuse fan base, and that simply shows how pathetic and miserable they are as fans, seeing as their own team never wins anything significant, they sit around praying for the demise of those above them, hoping to rise in the ranks simply by default. To be fair, I'd be just as bitter and jealous as them if my "lord and savior", Jim Beoheim, had his career accomplishment of a single NC was matched in the second year of a highly doubted rookie coach's career at a rival university. In fact, this picture posted on the /r/collegebasketball today really sums this situation of delusion nicely:

**There is a reason they were ranked in the Top 10 for most "Delusional Fan Bases in Sports", well deserved**
XWedr33.jpg
There is currently a heated discussion on the Syracuse board ( http://syracusefan.com/threads/annual-su-uconn-in-msg.77071/ ) regarding whether Cuse should schedule a series with UConn, much like the one they just established with Georgetown.

Just like you would expect, the entire thread is consumed with obnoxious and cocky Cuse fans who sincerely believe they are above playing UConn ever again. My jaw was quite literally on the floor as I skimmed through this thread, i have never seen a more pretentious and downright delusional fan base on a message board. If an outside observer who doesnt follow college basketball took a quick look at this thread, you would think Duke fans were discussing if it was worthwhile to start a home-and-home series with Northern Illinois University.

Their belief that every OOC game Syracuse plays must somehow "benefit" the program goes to show how delusional they are. As if playing UConn would be outlandish for them because it would do nothing for their program, how does that make any logical sense, this holier than thou attitude they possess is comical. They truly think the world sees them standing shoulder to shoulder with the like of UCLA, UK, Duke, UNC, KU, and UConn.

Conference realignment has truly been the single greatest thing to happen to that pathetic program, allowing themselves to space themselves from the single most successful program of the last two decades, in a way forcing the national viewers to forget their massive ineptitude at accomplishing anything nationally relevant. Having to play UConn each year reminds the viewers how far Syracuse has to left to go before it has any chance of even sitting in the same room as the current National Powerhouse programs. The day UConn gets out of the AAC, will be a sad day for the Syracuse fan base, and that simply shows how pathetic and miserable they are as fans, seeing as their own team never wins anything significant, they sit around praying for the demise of those above them, hoping to rise in the ranks simply by default. To be fair, I'd be just as bitter and jealous as them if my "lord and savior", Jim Beoheim, had his career accomplishment of a single NC was matched in the second year of a highly doubted rookie coach's career at a rival university. In fact, this picture posted on the /r/collegebasketball today really sums this situation of delusion nicely:

**There is a reason they were ranked in the Top 10 for most "Delusional Fan Bases in Sports", well deserved**
XWedr33.jpg

Reaction Score
Those tools talk about how bad they want our program to wither and die in the AAC more than they talk about wanting to win another title. And then they turn around in the same post and talk about how we're a mid major and not worth their time.

They're mentally challenged.
4 NC. 1 NC. Boeheim 38 years of trying, while KO takes all of 2.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
UConn-Cuse Series
4-15 1956-1977
8-17 1/1979-2/1990
25-22 3/90-forward

There is a reason the orange like the the 1st 11 years of the BE & want too forget the next 22 years

They really love pre-BE-history

The upstate ny oranges like winning, but do not appreciate competition/rivalry

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
UConn and Syracuse...Both fanbases talk about the other fanbase more than any other school's fanbase. And those conversations drip with pure hate, with no quarter given and no point conceded. To deny the rivalry is to deny an obvious reality, and only deeply buried insecurity can possibly be the source of such denial.

Reaction Score
The fact of the matter is that a UConn/Cuse game would draw Gameday to it, would be talked about for a week leading up to it, and would increase exposure for both programs immensly. How could that NOT be good for both programs? Anyone who denies that is fooling themselves. And the Cuse fan base calls us the worst? Pot, meet Kettle...

Reaction Score
I think the thread was consistent with what you'd see here. some fans were flat out against playing. Others realized that both programs would actually benefit from playing in MSG.

I like the thought of playing SU in hoops, primarily because they have a decent team, the game would be competitive and would bolster the OOC schedule. Because of that, and our history together in the BE, the game would have national attention.

But, beating a BC team is something special. That never gets old. Wouldn't mind seeing BC more on the court or on the field.

Reaction Score
Interesting enough it is Quse that " needs" to play us more then we need to play them. Yes- Uconn is in a hot steamy pile of a conference and Quse is in one of the two best conferences- however nobody gives a rats ass about Quse in the ACC.

If they wanted to stay relevant themselves they should have locked in a series when we cared more. Duke has long standing rivals- same with UNC and all the other top programs in the ACC.

Name a team in the ACC that Quse fans would talk about so passionately in a thread on their board? There is none- and that is the reason it would have been a great game to secdule plan and simple.

We hate them they hate us- perfect - let's play them every year- win or lose I would love at least a chance to spank them ( sorry bad choice of words when referring to Quse).
Having Duke and UNC on the schedule isn't a bad thing. Imagine Duke or UNC coming to Gampel (or even the XL). I think it would be a bid deal. Over time, those would become rival games.

Reaction Score
but, beating a BC team is something special. That never gets old. Wouldn't mind seeing BC more on the court or on the field.

"It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!"

Reaction Score
it's a game that should be played, but won't for a while, man I hope we get to the B1G

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Was in Syracuse a few weeks ago. Went there for a wedding. The ceremony was at Hendricks Chapel on the SU campus. Most of the attendees stayed at the Jefferson Clinton Hotel. Loved the city, especially the art deco buildings, and it has a ton of potential. I jogged in the area on Saturday afternoon with my UConn Double Trouble tshirt on and no one said boo. Positive experience. Still those message board SU fans make me wish bad things on the institution and the city.

Reaction Score
Duke won't ever play in Gampel or the XL unless it's a conference game. UNC will. Duke only plays OOC at Cameron or in a large arena "where our alumni can see us." It's a minor form of Boeheim type scheduling and they have done it for years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The whole " the game does nothing for us" or " it doesn't help recruiting" are such lame excuses.

We hate them, they hate us and we'd sell the garden out every year for an annual game.

Only sheer pettiness keeps this game from happening.

One more point on recruiting, the fact that they use playing Georgetown in dc once every two years is some recruiting tool is hilarious. In the day and age of one hundred sports channels, internet, etc. the idea some recruit would or wouldn't come to cuse because they play in their home town 1 time in two seasons is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom