Anyone remember these infamous losses / events? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone remember these infamous losses / events?

Reaction Score
just after both the men and women were ranked #1 at the same time for the first time
I had forgotten about number 1 but it’s the reason when guys on the board got excited about an early season ranking that I roll my eyes .
Getting excited about rankings in December is a huge waste of energy.
It invariably sets you up for a fall and that dreaded “ Overrated, Overrated “ chant. I hate that chant . It’s much more fun going into the tourney underrated. 1999 as good as we were we didn’t get much love going in . 2011 the 5-5 and Kemba in the Big East Tournament made us famous . 2004 at full strength nobody could touch us .
2014 was simply amazing
I believe we were the underdog in every game and every win was a yes but that’s their last one..
In the FF fan poll only single digits % selected us to win the other 90+% were divided pretty evenly.

Reaction Score
IMO the worst loss ever was friggin' Latener's shot.... Still pains me to this day... The loss to George Mason is a very close 2nd
The Laettner shot has to be number one given what was at stake but a close second was a shot that I knew would be devastating when it happened, and it didn’t even happen in a UConn game.

Tyus Edny (UCLA) buzzer beater to take out Missouri in the round of 32 during the 1995 NCAA tourney. UCLA was the number 1 team in the country I believe and the only team that I thought had a chance to beat UConn. The Ray Allen led Huskies lost 102-96 in the Elite 8. Ray had 36 and was unstoppable. If the Edny Miracle doesn’t happen, we get our first chip.

Reaction Score
Another worth mentioning is losing 81-48 to Louisville in the last game of the regular season in 2014. We were at a low point at seemingly the worst time. One never knows when a team might get hot and make a run.

Reaction Score
Things aren’t tough enough since the crash after awesome start that we want to remember worst times? SMH

Reaction Score
2004, Calhoun was named the "Uncoach of the Year". GA Tech destroyed us in the Preseason NIT then yapped about how they knew we couldn't match up with them. We met again in the NC game, arguably the least competitive nation title game in modern history
I remember some talking head after the game saying GT stormed back to make it respectable at the end. Umm no, JC took the foot off the gas not wanting to embarrass those kids. Uconn couldve won by 30.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I had forgotten about number 1 but it’s the reason when guys on the board got excited about an early season ranking that I roll my eyes .
Getting excited about rankings in December is a huge waste of energy.
It invariably sets you up for a fall and that dreaded “ Overrated, Overrated “ chant. I hate that chant . It’s much more fun going into the tourney underrated. 1999 as good as we were we didn’t get much love going in . 2011 the 5-5 and Kemba in the Big East Tournament made us famous . 2004 at full strength nobody could touch us .
2014 was simply amazing
I believe we were the underdog in every game and every win was a yes but that’s their last one..
In the FF fan poll only single digits % selected us to win the other 90+% were divided pretty evenly.
In 1999 the lowest AP ranking UConn had all season was 4 lmao.

AP rankings don’t mean anything about a teams chances to win it all, but it does give the team a ton a free marketing and national media exposure.

The past month the national sports media talks very little about unranked Duke, UNC and Kentucky but have been giving tons of coverage to teams like Purdue, Tennessee and Houston.

Rankings mean nothing in terms of ability to win, but you can’t say it’s a “waste of energy” to care about them when we are trying to re-establish our brand on a national level.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In 1999 the lowest AP ranking UConn had all season was 4 lmao.

AP rankings don’t mean anything about a teams chances to win it all, but it does give the team a ton a free marketing and national media exposure.

The past month the national sports media talks very little about unranked Duke, UNC and Kentucky but have been giving tons of coverage to teams like Purdue, Tennessee and Houston.

Rankings mean nothing in terms of ability to win, but you can’t say it’s a “waste of energy” to care about them when we are trying to re-establish our brand on a national level.
Everyone’s talking about us being overrated and collapsing, so I’d enjoy not having that media attention.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I remember some talking head after the game saying GT stormed back to make it respectable at the end. Umm no, JC took the foot off the gas not wanting to embarrass those kids. Uconn couldve won by 30.

They hit like 4 threes in the last minute

Were + 30 in the second half, and plus 20 with two minutes left

The outcome was never in doubt

Reaction Score
The Laettner shot has to be number one given what was at stake but a close second was a shot that I knew would be devastating when it happened, and it didn’t even happen in a UConn game.

Tyus Edny (UCLA) buzzer beater to take out Missouri in the round of 32 during the 1995 NCAA tourney. UCLA was the number 1 team in the country I believe and the only team that I thought had a chance to beat UConn. The Ray Allen led Huskies lost 102-96 in the Elite 8. Ray had 36 and was unstoppable. If the Edny Miracle doesn’t happen, we get our first chip.
Great call

Reaction Score
When we played Georgia Tech the second time Calhoun took some offense to their comments that they handled us no problem the first time. JC said something like ,”You think you can run with us? You don’t know anything about running with us.” We blew their doors off. It’s pretty funny.
Ya mean the coach adapted the game plan after the first game? Without waiting to be down by 17? Interesting idea. :cool:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Everyone’s talking about us being overrated and collapsing, so I’d enjoy not having that media attention.
I watched college game day on Saturday and they were picking their title contenders… Seth Greenberg said UConn is still a legit title contender and Bilas agreed. The only national media guy I’ve heard say we are overrated is Seth Davis who is a moron (and also an AP voter who constantly had us too low, so it felt personal). Most of the melt down has been our own fan base haha

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I watched college game day on Saturday and they were picking their title contenders… Seth Greenberg said UConn is still a legit title contender and Bilas agreed. The only national media guy I’ve heard say we are overrated is Seth Davis who is a moron (and also an AP voter who constantly had us too low, so it felt personal). Most of the melt down has been our own fan base haha
Embarrassed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are two big tournament games where I thought Calhoun didn't coach his best game:

1) 1994 Florida - In a game where UConn could not through the ball in the ocean in the second half, Brian Fair plays 4 minutes and Travis Knight only plays 26 minutes and only takes 5 shots. I get that Fair was defense optional on his good days and Knight didn't exactly remind anyone of Mutombo, but UConn didn't need defense in this game. UConn needed baskets.

2) 1995 UCLA - I think of this as more of a huge gamble by Harrick that paid off big. Harrick was releasing Toby Bailey off of UConn's shot. This could have blown up big against UCLA. UConn did end up outrebounding UCLA, but Bailey had a lot of easy, fastbreak baskets. This was another game where more Knight would have been better too. He didn't play great defense, but he was 6 for 9 with 13 boards in only 26 minutes.

Reaction Score
There are two big tournament games where I thought Calhoun didn't coach his best game:

1) 1994 Florida - In a game where UConn could not through the ball in the ocean in the second half, Brian Fair plays 4 minutes and Travis Knight only plays 26 minutes and only takes 5 shots. I get that Fair was defense optional on his good days and Knight didn't exactly remind anyone of Mutombo, but UConn didn't need defense in this game. UConn needed baskets.

2) 1995 UCLA - I think of this as more of a huge gamble by Harrick that paid off big. Harrick was releasing Toby Bailey off of UConn's shot. This could have blown up big against UCLA. UConn did end up outrebounding UCLA, but Bailey had a lot of easy, fastbreak baskets. This was another game where more Knight would have been better too. He didn't play great defense, but he was 6 for 9 with 13 boards in only 26 minutes.
Id like to watch that UCLA game again. Anyone know where to find it?

Reaction Score

Agree. But the truth is when you’re in a ton of BIG games your plan isn’t always going to work. Remember he also made Coach K look bad in a few.

We haven’t had any of those type of games as of late and most that were close to that didn’t go our way!

Reaction Score
Things aren’t tough enough since the crash after awesome start that we want to remember worst times? SMH
Fair enough Captain. Let me offer a more positive story since you seem a bit wound tight, a way to bring back the Mojo.

This story centers around the last timeout in the 1999 National Championship game as told directly to me by one of the Uconn assistant coaches that was in the huddle. We all know the scenario, immediately preceding the timeout, Ricky Moore causes Trajan Langdon to travel in the lane while driving to the hoop. Uconn ball 5.4 seconds left under the Duke basket. Uconn calls timeout.

During the timeout, Calhoun spends 2 minutes drawing up a detailed play designed to get Hamilton the rock who no doubt would get fouled and go to the line. El-Amin would have none of it and approached the assistant coach in the middle of the TO and demanded to run the Diamond play (a play designed to get Kahlid the ball) as he held his hands above his head in a triangle formation. Towards the end of the timeout, the coach goes over to Calhoun and exclaims “Kahlid wants to run Diamond”. Calhoun turns to the team and deadpans “forget what I just drew up, we are running Diamond”.

Ball is inbounded to El-Amin, he is fouled, Duke calls last timeout with 5.2 seconds left, El-Amin calmly sinks both free throws (previously 0 for 2 in the game from the stripe) and the rest is history. Uconn 77, Duke 74, the most satisfying victory in Uconn history.

Reaction Score
Did we lose to st. Bonny’s before 2002? Like in the late 90’s. I have a memory of losing to them earlier than 2002. I was listening to it on the radio in my mom’s car as a kid and I remember being mad. Maybe it was a different team.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the Florida loss hurt more than George Mason, I think. We hadn’t been to a Final Four yet, and the missed free throws by Donyell seemed like more of a sure thing than Denham Brown’s missed three in OT. Winning four titles sure does take the sting off of all of those horrific losses.

GM was worse for me because I was there. But otherwise yes, Florida was worse.

Reaction Score
Most painful for me was watching Hartford Hawks beating UConn 48-46 in ugly rock right during Calhoun’s first season at Hartford Civic Center. As the crowds exited the civic center that night people were actually saying they missed former coach Don Perno, and hiring Calhoun was a mistake. Thank god we has some patience and didn’t rush to judgement after Calhoun’s disappointing 9-19 first season with UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@willie99 Nice thread! This team has the tools to go on a good run in the NCAA tournament. We just have some work to do before now and then. I think we took a step in the right direction in the second half of the last game. Newton just needs to be more confident and assertive. It’s a tiny, tweak, but one that would make a big difference.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
The 30 for 30 where I stole my handle from didn’t really talk much about Laettner’s the shot against us until the very end when CL wanted to show his kid the replay of it. I wanted to jump through the TV. There have been several disappointments since then but that one still hurts to most IMO. The loss to George Mason is a fairly close second. I thought we would be sleepwalking into the Final Four that year.

Reaction Score
i remember a ncaa game to advance us to final 8 or final 4 when Donyell missed 2 straight foul shots to win it in final final minute - it was crazy because he was like a 85% ft shooter all year. I think the game against Florida

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom