Anyone here watching Bama and Clemson tonight? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Anyone here watching Bama and Clemson tonight?

Reaction Score
As of this year, Florida State has been doing what UConn Football is famous for...finishing the season with a losing record.

Another off topic response... designed to somehow slap at me because I anger you....is all that I can figure.

Reaction Score
This is a really dumb hill to die on.

You offer no refutation of my facts..do you?

Because them the facts....the little guys don't even win the NC in basketball...

It's just entertainment...makes it more interesting...but they do not win the championship.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Another off topic response... designed to somehow slap at me because I anger you....is all that I can figure.

Come on dude. Florida freaking State can’t slap together six wins? That’s downright humiliating.

Reaction Score
Now here is a question...

Last year, suppose the basketball tourney was limited to eight slots.

Who do you take?

The #1 and #2 seeds and that's it?

The Champs from the Big East and P5 conferences and two at large?

The two at large by best NET scores?

Reaction Score
Come on dude. Florida freaking State can’t slap together six wins? That’s downright humiliating.

Don't be an A Hat...yes the Noles had a losing year (the first in 40 years). But so what?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Now here is a question...

Last year, suppose the basketball tourney was limited to eight slots.

Who do you take?

The #1 and #2 seeds and that's it?

The Champs from the Big East and P5 conferences and two at large?

The two at large by best NET scores?

Let’s suppose that over the last ten years, you’re the most successful college football program in the most talent-rich state in the country, yet your team couldn’t even muster a .500 record this past season...

Reaction Score

I guess I can get what you are trying to say...a program like FSU should do better....not making a bowl game after 36 straight is akin to UConn not going to the tournament.

I don't disagree with you...dude

Reaction Score
No...the record says differently.

The last 50 years (excepting UNLV in 89-90) has not seen a champion that is not currently UConn, a P5, or a Big East team. All others are the "little guys".

There are 32 BB conferences and 300 plus teams....yet the champions don't come from the Atlantic 10, Big Sky, MAC, etc, etc.

The "little guys" can't win a NC...or they would have...

Absolutely wild to make this argument when we've recently seen Loyola of Chicago in a Final Four and a #1 seed lose to a #16 by 20 points.

Reaction Score
Of course but it’s stil unfair that majority of teams can’t make the playoff. I think an 8-team playoff will solve that.
I don't know. Every team in every sport wants to prove you are the best. Who cares about an 11 wins season if you never even had a chance to prove you're the best.

billybud is out here handing out participation trophies...

Reaction Score
Riddle me this...

If basketball was limited to an 8 team playoff format...how would you do it?

Reaction Score
Riddle me this...

Why don’t you look at the 1950 tournament, the last year it was 8 teams and let the rest of us know.

Reaction Score
Riddle me this...

I’d probably dismiss 90% of the teams because of pre season rankings and arbitrary recruiting results and then at the end of the season have a committe that ignores criteria such as conference champion and overall record.

Reaction Score
SOOOO...

Nobody can give me a real opinion on how an 8 team format basketball tournament should be conducted?

I can only guess why?

Reaction Score
Absolutely wild to make this argument when we've recently seen Loyola of Chicago in a Final Four and a #1 seed lose to a #16 by 20 points.

BUT...they don't win the NC...Until they do...the record speaks....as it has for decades.

They can participate, but really have no chance to win...come close, but as the man at the fair says when you don't ring the bell....."sorry, no cigar"

Reaction Score
Just as an Appalachian State can upset a Michigan in football, but that doesn't mean that they are Ohio State.

Reaction Score
BUT...they don't win the NC...Until they do...the record speaks....as it has for decades.

They can participate, but really have no chance to win...come close, but as the man at the fair says when you don't ring the bell....."sorry, no cigar"

Yeah at this point I think you’re just being contrarian for the sake of it.

Reaction Score
Not really...the record is the record...over the decades, the "little guys do not win the BB national championship.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

I ask..."how would you design a basketball tourney if limited to an eight team format?"

No attempts at an answer...and the problems inherent in designing an 8 team format aren't a lot different than for football.

Whose ox ends up being gored?

Reaction Score
Not really...the record is the record...over the decades, the "little guys do not win the BB national championship.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

I ask..."how would you design a basketball tourney if limited to an eight team format?"

No attempts at an answer...and the problems inherent in designing an 8 team format aren't a lot different than for football.

Whose ox ends up being gored?

In all of your trolling I have lost the thread of the point you are trying to make. That there should be no automatic qualifiers for a G5 in football? I lean towards agreeing. UCF should take those 2 for 1s.

You are sounding silly with your basketball analysis when a Horizon team rimmed out a shot for the national championship this decade. There is no comparison between the sports.

Reaction Score
In all of your trolling I have lost the thread of the point you are trying to make. That there should be no automatic qualifiers for a G5 in football? I lean towards agreeing. UCF should take those 2 for 1s.

You are sounding silly with your basketball analysis when a Horizon team rimmed out a shot for the national championship this decade. There is no comparison between the sports.
1 inch to the left, have a 64 team football tournament!

1 in to the right, sorry, can't have more than 4 teams because the little guys can't even in win basketball...

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Nobody can tell me what would be a fair 8 team format for basketball?

OK...Mine would be play the top 8 in NET.

if played today...

that would be:

Virginia v UNC

Duke V Mich St

Michigan V Gonzaga

Texas Tech V Tennessee

Any problem with that?

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Nobody can tell me what would be a fair 8 team format for basketball?

OK...Mine would be play the top 8 in NET.

if played today...

that would be:

Virginia v UNC

Duke V Mich St

Michigan V Gonzaga

Texas Tech V Tennessee

Any problem with that?

So a team can finish 3rd in a conference and get in over let’s say Buffalo or Houston who could have 25+ wins and a conference championship? Sounds fair

Reaction Score
Yep....Ain't easy...for an 8 team format...in basketball or football.

Someone's ox gets gored.

Sooo? How would you run an 8 team playoff in basketball?

Reaction Score
Not really...

I've stumped the board....no one can come up with an equitable 8 team playoff in basketball.

And thus resort to other retorts.

And, as an aside, I think that football is frought with the same choices.

Without discourse, this topic has run its course...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom