Anyone here watching Bama and Clemson tonight? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anyone here watching Bama and Clemson tonight?

Reaction Score
They might be one of the worst big acts around, smh. Personal tastes and all whatevs, but they suck. Weezy compounds the sucking.

Ugh, that whole thing was awful.

Reaction Score
Clemson's defense was outstanding in the red zone...and their offense, even with a true freshman quarteback, was potent.

Heck, Clemson scored 74-19 against two of the top four teams (and, in hindsight, maybe it wasn't that Notre Dame was bad).

Dabo has built a program, recruited well, developed the kids, and hired assistants that are a cut above...kudos for doing what a coach should.

Reaction Score
Agreed

Yeah....excellence can be boring....Who would watch UConn's women during the season?...the outcome was pre-ordained...4 years undefeated in-season makes for boring games. Just check the score to see by how much.

But things come and go...Clemson and Bama will have their day in the sun....then someone else will.

Of course, building a great repeat program doesn't happen over night...And these two programs are recruiting great athletes just like Auriemma does.

Reaction Score
Yeah....excellence can be boring....Who would watch UConn's women during the season?...the outcome was pre-ordained...4 years undefeated in-season makes for boring games. Just check the score to see by how much.

But things come and go...Clemson and Bama will have their day in the sun....then someone else will.

Of course, building a great repeat program doesn't happen over night...And these two programs are recruiting great athletes just like Auriemma does.

I don’t find it fair or entertaining when teams go undefeated and have 0% of winning a championship.

Reaction Score
Let's face it...the "little guy" will never, ever, win a football national championship.

All the whining and grousing will not change that...

The "little guy" can not put a full team of offensive players and a full team of defensive players on the field of a level to compete with the very best over several games.

If you look at just the 2019 NFL draft projections (Clemson & Bama will also put them out next year)........... you'll see:

Quinnen Williams...Bama
Clelin Ferrell...........Clemson
Jonah Williams.......Bama
Trayvon Mullen.......Clemson
Deionte Thompson...Bama
Dexter Lawrence.....Clemson
Christian Wilkens.....Clemson
Mack Wilson.............Bama
Damien Harris...........Bama
Pierschbacker...........Bama
Irv Smith.....................Bama
Josh Jacobs..............Bama

And sure, Arizona State will have a WR go top 15....but not a full complement of talent to make a great team.

Reaction Score
I don’t find it fair or entertaining when teams go undefeated and have 0% of winning a championship.

Well...I don't think that it would be fair for a team to play the 88th ranked SOS, and beat that weak schedule, play for it, if they are only one game ahead of a team that only lost one game but played a schedule 50 ranks tougher (Ohio State and Oklahoma) .
UCF did play a three loss SEC team in the bowl...it was entertaining.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Clemson's defense was outstanding in the red zone...and their offense, even with a true freshman quarteback, was potent.

Heck, Clemson scored 74-19 against two of the top four teams (and, in hindsight, maybe it wasn't that Notre Dame was bad).

Dabo has built a program, recruited well, developed the kids, and hired assistants that are a cut above...kudos for doing what a coach should.

Notre Dame's Defense was absolutely legit. It was their offense that wasn't up to the task. Still it was beautiful to see Alabama be taken apart and dominated.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Clelin Ferrell is like school on Sunday. smh

Reaction Score

And it was without their starting QB.

Again, I find the whole "the little guys can't win" argument silly. Of course they can if given a chance. Would they? Not often. Clemson was the best team this year and would have likely won with an 8-team tournament.

But you'd lose all the griping and it would feel more fair if college football did what literally every other team sport does.

Reaction Score
And it was without their starting QB.

Again, I find the whole "the little guys can't win" argument silly. Of course they can if given a chance. Would they? Not often. Clemson was the best team this year and would have likely won with an 8-team tournament.

But you'd lose all the griping and it would feel more fair if college football did what literally every other team sport does.

And LSU played without half of their defensive starters....

And, no...you would not stop "all the griping"....it would then just move to the ones now left out. Fresno State would this year be whining that they won 11 games and Michigan only 10, etc.

As far as what other sports do? There is no national sport quite like football...requiring such a multitude of players, and as physical.

Saying all that, I wouldn't mind an eight team playoff featuring the eight best teams in the country..(On merit...no AQ).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And no...little guys can't win if they only had a chance (a convenient fiction)....the last 50 years of NCAA BB tournaments tell us that...Only if they are a team that now plays in a P5 or the Big East, or UConn have they won.

All of those "little guys" just provide interesting color but do not win a national championship...and that is in a sport that having only a couple of great players on a team can make you very competitive.

Reaction Score
Anyway...back to the game...

I don't think that I can remember a true freshman quarterback and a true freshman WR combo with the skill and impact of Clemson's Lawrence and Ross.

But...even with those two playing pass and catch...it was the future NFL'rs on the Tiger defense that won the game.

Reaction Score
Well...I don't think that it would be fair for a team to play the 88th ranked SOS, and beat that weak schedule, play for it, if they are only one game ahead of a team that only lost one game but played a schedule 50 ranks tougher (Ohio State and Oklahoma) .

Yeah so if my favorite college team (UConn) can’t make the playoffs regardless of how the season plays out why am I wasting time watching college football?

Reaction Score
Yeah so if my favorite college team (UConn) can’t make the playoffs regardless of how the season plays out why am I wasting time watching college football?
Lol, UConn is the worst team in the country. Just quit watching the sport.

Reaction Score
Scariest part is that he has 2 more years left...

Careful now. I have watched Lawrence a couple of times this season and he is a terrific passer and a pretty good runner. He is as good a QB as anyone I've seen this season in college ball. However, that does not automatically translate to him getting better and better each year. Athletically and QB wise he may already be as good as he is gonna get. These things don't necessarily follow a steady upward progression.

Reaction Score
And no...little guys can't win if they only had a chance (a convenient fiction)....the last 50 years of NCAA BB tournaments tell us that...Only if they are a team that now plays in a P5 or the Big East, or UConn have they won.

All of those "little guys" just provide interesting color but do not win a national championship...and that is in a sport that having only a couple of great players on a team can make you very competitive.

UNLV ring a bell?

Reaction Score
UNLV ring a bell?

Oh yes...UNLV the only exception in 50 years...As I noted earlier.

Tark had a great team in a different era 30 years ago ....but still once in 50 years.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom