Anyone here watching Bama and Clemson tonight? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Anyone here watching Bama and Clemson tonight?

Reaction Score
Yeah so if my favorite college team (UConn) can’t make the playoffs regardless of how the season plays out why am I wasting time watching college football?

You enjoy the season like the 11 win Utah State fans, the 11 win Army fans, the 11 win Cincy fans...

Reaction Score
Oh yes...so you’re wrong. There have also been 3 mid majors in the championship game just this decade.

Nope....not one met the criteria that I posted of not being the current member of a P5, the Big East, or UConn...

Who you calling mid major? Surely not the Big East in basketball?

LOL...and I had excepted UNLV a page back as the only exception to that...in the last 50 years...

Reaction Score
You enjoy the season like the 11 win Utah State fans, the 11 win Army fans, the 11 win Cincy fans...

Of course but it’s stil unfair that majority of teams can’t make the playoff. I think an 8-team playoff will solve that.

Reaction Score
And LSU played without half of their defensive starters....

And, no...you would not stop "all the griping"....it would then just move to the ones now left out. Fresno State would this year be whining that they won 11 games and Michigan only 10, etc.

As far as what other sports do? There is no national sport quite like football...requiring such a multitude of players, and as physical.

Saying all that, I wouldn't mind an eight team playoff featuring the eight best teams in the country..(On merit...no AQ).
Presumptuous of you to assume what I would do. I don't care about Fresno; Michigan was clearly a better team.

But a system that shuts out over half college football from actually competing for a title is one that is flawed, boring, and not worth my time. An undefeated team should get a real shot at a title. The end.

An 8 team playoff: P5 champions, best G5, 2 wild cards, would be infinitely more interesting.

Reaction Score
How about an 8 team playoff with just the "8 best in the country"...?

Regardless of conference.

Reaction Score
"Presumptuous of you to assume what I would do. I don't care about Fresno; Michigan was clearly a better team."

Exactly...

Fresno won 11 against a weak schedule (#78)...and yet you are presumptuous enough to assume that UCF, who also won 11 games, with not as tough a schedule as Fresno, deserves to play.

I don't care about UCF the way you don't care about Fresno.

You have to beat a top 30 team...

Reaction Score
"Presumptuous of you to assume what I would do. I don't care about Fresno; Michigan was clearly a better team."

Exactly...

Fresno won 11 against a weak schedule (#78)...and yet you are presumptuous enough to assume that UCF, who also won 11 games, with not as tough a schedule as Fresno, deserves to play.

I don't care about UCF the way you don't care about Fresno.

You have to beat a top 30 team...
I think thats fair, assuming a top 30 team is willing to play the likes of UCF. Instead of Samford and Northern Illinois, FSU should have to play UCF and USF. Let the best team win. You know, instead of padding your wins in order to be bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
Nope....not one met the criteria that I posted of not being the current member of a P5, the Big East, or UConn...

Who you calling mid major? Surely not the Big East in basketball?

LOL...and I had excepted UNLV a page back as the only exception to that...in the last 50 years...
Yea, except Butler wasn’t in the Big East at the time and managed to get there still. I’m sure you’ll try and stick to your point, but it’s no small difference.

Oh, and lest we forget about Gonzaga.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yea, except Butler wasn’t in the Big East at the time and managed to get there still. I’m sure you’ll try and stick to your point, but it’s no small difference.

And Memphis in 08

Reaction Score
I think thats fair, assuming a top 30 team is willing to play the likes of UCF. Instead of Samford and Northern Illinois, FSU should have to play UCF and USF. Let the best team win. You know, instead of padding your wins in order to be bowl eligible.

Oh...Florida just offered to play UCF on a 2 for 1....UCF said "no".

The schools are 112 miles apart...great for fans.

And I have no sympathy for UCF's refusal....after all, FSU when making their break...played at Ohio State (2X), Michigan (2X), Michigan State (2X), LSU (5X), Nebraska (2X)...no returns.

Reaction Score
Lowest ratings for a CFP
How about an 8 team playoff with just the "8 best in the country"...?

Regardless of conference.
Because that's not how literally any other American sport does things. Conference, division, etc. always plays a role. What you're doing keeps college football different, when what I'm suggesting makes it more like everyone else.

The "8 best in the country" is subjective. I'm willing to go with some subjectivity. See: March Madness. But taking some of that out so that there is a clear definable goal to the playoffs and a chance for the title would be best.

In college basketball, Samford knows it's probably not going to win the title. But if they win their conference tournament, they have a shot.

UCF can go undefeated for two straight years and not sniff the playoffs. Talk about schedules all you want, but it's not like they have control of their conference, which drags it down, nor entire control of their OOC.

Reaction Score
I hate throwing merit out the door in a small format (like 8 team playoff).

In basketball, you can have AQ's and the best teams will still play,

Reaction Score
UCF has been doing what Bill Snyder was famous for...playing a weak schedule puposefully and ending up higher in the rankings.

Reaction Score
"The venerable K-State coach has built the Wildcat program into national relevance over three decades, and part of his plan has been weak non-conference schedules."

Snyder has been adamant over the years that an easy non-conference schedule with all home games is best for K-State, in terms of developing players and the athletic budget.

*On the other hand, you could possibly make the argument that there was some boldness in his decision to essentially pioneer the highly effective strategy of devising a weaker than weak nonconference schedule. He took the important, easy wins and ignored all the criticism from fans and media.".

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Interestingly I can’t find record of that anywhere...

I believe that was the second time cal made the final four for the first time...

Reaction Score

Gonzaga won a NC?

Butler?

Get outa here !

Reaction Score
The premise is that...except for UNLV 30 years ago, no team that is not currently either a P5, Big East, or UConn...has won a basketball national championship in 50 years.

Sure...some had wins and advanced....but the "little guys" do not win the championships.

Reaction Score
The premise is that...except for UNLV 30 years ago, no team that is not currently either a P5, Big East, or UConn...has won a basketball national championship in 50 years.

Sure...some had wins and advanced....but the "little guys" do not win the championships.
This is silly, you can say that about the little guy in football but it's totally different in basketball.

Reaction Score
Basketball does a wonderful job of selling the concept of "everybody has a chance"...and the Cinderella can win a NC.

The record doesn't reflect that..

Hey, FSU is having open football walk-on try outs. Technically I would have a chance at age 72...they did have a grandfather make it one year...and actually get in one game (but he was a youngster at 49).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is silly, you can say that about the little guy in football but it's totally different in basketball.

No...the record says differently.

The last 50 years (excepting UNLV in 89-90) has not seen a champion that is not currently UConn, a P5, or a Big East team. All others are the "little guys".

There are 32 BB conferences and 300 plus teams....yet the champions don't come from the Atlantic 10, Big Sky, MAC, etc, etc.

The "little guys" can't win a NC...or they would have...

Reaction Score
No...the record says differently.

The last 50 years (excepting UNLV in 89-90) has not seen a champion that is not currently UConn, a P5, or a Big East team. All others are the "little guys".

There are 32 BB conferences and 300 plus teams....yet the champions don't come from the Atlantic 10, Big Sky, MAC, etc, etc.

The "little guys" can't win a NC...or they would have...
This is a really dumb hill to die on.

Reaction Score
It's a silly debate. We know they can't win because they go to the tournament and play.

And a number of them have come incredibly close. A Gordon Haywood shot, say? VCU, George Mason, Wichita State, Loyola...these teams were obviously better than we thought. Do they get a shot in college football? But they were the best stories! People will remember Loyola, Villanova, and UMKC from the 2019 tournament.

College football precludes this in a way that no other American sport does. Frankly, I'd actually prefer that every conference got their champion in with 6 wild card teams (this year, say, Notre Dame, Georgia, Michigan, Florida, LSU, Penn State, since they were the top 6 non champions), but if every team had an actual chance, then I could live with that compromise.

PS: This would be that imaginary tournament, and you can't tell me it wouldn't be a blast:

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.38.59 AM.png

(And what's that Final Four: Alabama-Georgia, Clemson-Ohio State, probably. Can we say that it would have been the same title game for a fact?)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
UCF has been doing what Bill Snyder was famous for...playing a weak schedule puposefully and ending up higher in the rankings.

As of this year, Florida State has been doing what UConn Football is famous for...finishing the season with a losing record.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom