Anyone here ever purchase part of a cow, pig, etc? | The Boneyard

Anyone here ever purchase part of a cow, pig, etc?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have a small group of friends looking into buying 1/2 a butchered cow, with everyone getting a proportional share.

''Is this worth doing, or is it just a hassle with little cost benefit?

Reaction Score
Totally worth doing if:

1. You have a large enough freezer to hold it all
2. The beef is significantly higher quality than you could get for the same price at the grocery store (I.e., grass fed, hormone free, etc.)

Honestly I only do it for grass fed beef

Reaction Score
I did a half cow and pig on separate occassions. Personally I didn't like it because there were a lot of cuts I had no idea how to cook. Ended up leaving a lot of it in the freezer for well over 2 years until I finally threw it out

Reaction Score
We did it frequently when I was a kid. We had 2 chest freezers and a family of 5 so things got eaten. If you don't have plenty of storage and at least a few hungry mouths, might not be worth the effort.

Reaction Score
I have a small group of friends looking into buying 1/2 a butchered cow, with everyone getting a proportional share.

If you do this would look into a freezer that isn't frost free...as the frost free cycling impacts the meat if stored for a significant time

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My dad did this back the 70's 80's. We had a large freezer in the garage. Had it butchered as we requested, burgers, various steaks, roasts etc. I recall he considered the meat to be better than the grocery store, and it was cheaper as well. But you need the storage capacity.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I bought half a pasture-raised pig and 1/4 of a pasture-raised cow. Great quality meat.
We have a chest freezer, not frost free.
But by the time I finished the meat, it was not as tasty. Some freezer burn, and loss of moisture in the meat.
We had some great parties finishing the meat.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I bought half a pasture-raised pig and 1/4 of a pasture-raised cow. Great quality meat.
But by the time I finished the meat, it was not as tasty. Some freezer burn, and loss of moisture in the meat.

Why is frost free a problem?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I do this with a friend. Depending how many people you have and how picky they are splitting up the cuts can be a huge hassle. We have been splitting a 1/4 cow between the two of us and it works out great especially since it is grass fed.

They even threw in the heart, tongue, and other random cuts that people normally overlook.

Reaction Score
These people are just cruel. They took their cow for a ride and brought him to lunch at McDonalds.
image (1).png

Reaction Score
We've bought a lamb. It requires that you have it butchered by someone who knows what they are doing. I wouldn't buy another if I had it done by the same people, but we're trying a second time with a different butcher.

(When I say we, by the way, obviously I mean my wife. The thought of a Jewish business lawyer spending time picking out a lamb and then worrying about the quality of the butcher you need to use is laughable.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I did!

I bought a pig. The whole pig.

I bought the pig and paid for the butchering and someone else raised it. We split the pig like 60/40. I only did it once because, jesus, that was a lot of pig.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You need to vacu-seal that cow.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My dad did this back the 70's 80's. We had a large freezer in the garage. Had it butchered as we requested, burgers, various steaks, roasts etc. I recall he considered the meat to be better than the grocery store, and it was cheaper as well. But you need the storage capacity.
Our family did the same in the 70s, when there were eight kids living at home. I still remember getting the forms with the parts of the cow circled and broken down into the different cuts and products from each.

Reaction Score

I bought a football once.

Reaction Score
Every year, but have moved to just buying things I want in bulk from the farmer. More expensive, by a lot, yes, but i was giving away burger left and right anyway. Im not really a burger guy.

My usual twice a year

16 2” porterhouse
6 2” strips
6 2” ribeyes
chicken halves
40 pork chops
20 lamb chops
20# ox tail
1 6 rib rib roast

Organic for my bride.

Did I mention, it costs a fortune to do it that way. They don’t even tell me the cost I just show up and they give me a bill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom