Anyone feeling better about this UCONN? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone feeling better about this UCONN?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I thought both Irwin and Coombs gave you all some nice minutes. They played within themselves and it paid off. Walker looks a lot better. She looks bigger and stronger than Collier. If your guards can rebound as well as that and your 5 position just makes sure she boxes out the other teams BIG, I think you guys will be OK.

Reaction Score
I believe it was the year Baylor lost to L'ville in the final 4 and UCONN won it all that Geno had said the only way we win the NC is if we have some luck and things break our way. I think this season is very similar to that.

New York Times: Considered a lock for the Final Four — and prohibitive favorites to win a second straight championship — Griner and her top-seeded Lady Bears lost, 82-81, to fifth-seeded Louisville in an Oklahoma City Region semifinal

They didn't even make it to the Elite 8.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I liked what I saw on Sunday. It's still early, but I'm optimistic. We have confirmed that Megan has taken a big sophomore leap and Christyn fits in the starting lineup. I'm very comfortable with Lou and Pheesa; they are top-5 players. Crystal is now one of the best and most exciting players in America.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure. When UConn meets Baylor here in Waco we'll all know a whole lot more about who's who and what's what. In the meantime I'm content to just let everybody get some experience under their belts before making any major conclusions.

Reaction Score
IMO, UConn has two problem areas to play around to be a NC threat. Lack of size and physicality up front and lack of a good mid-range offense. Well coached teams with serious size will take away their only consistent post offense, Collier, forcing them into a perimeter, one and done offense. Other than Walker they have no slasher/pull up scorer to draw fouls and get to the line meaning they'll have to shoot 3s at a high percentage to score 80+ pts against those good teams. Defensive boards will be key which is why they'll have to stay in those zones. If they can't clear and get out in transition, run those big posts and get some easy points, they'll struggle. I like the 3/4 court trap forcing chaos and forcing non PGs to handle the ball. However, their lack of depth won't allow that for extended periods. Auriemma's going to have to really coach this year and make in-game adjustments. We'll see.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My quote of October 31.

ND may not be quite as dominant against unranked teams as you might expect out of a #1 team.

Muffet was clearly not thrilled with the team's peformance last night and based on the looks on Jackie's and Bri's faces at the post-game presser, my speculation is that the team received a stern talking-to in the locker room. Lewis is a good DII team (and well-coached by Samantha Quigley Smith) but they scored far too much for Muffet's liking.

I feel there will almost certainly be games where ND lets an inferior team hang around for far too long and I can already imagine the "what's wrong" message board posts coming. Thankfully, the local press is basically limited to the South Bend Trib and they take a pretty light touch on their articles. Any media scrutiny is likely to pale in comparison to Muffet's scrutiny.

So yeah...great starting lineup, ND is deservedly the #1 team but their are definite question marks especially with respect to defense and what exactly the rotation will look like.

Call me Nostradamus (and please ignore the accidental wrong "there" in the last sentence. How embarrassing).

Perhaps worth noting that ND only beat Penn by 12 last year and that was when Thompson was healthy. So it was the Mabrey-Arike-Young-Westbeld-Shepard starting 5 with two grad students off the bench in Nelson and Thompson last year. This year, it's Turner instead of Westbeld but true freshman Nixon instead of Mabrey and Mikayla Vaughn and Abby Prohaska (redshirt freshman & true freshman) off the bench instead of Nelson & Thompson.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn out rebounded by a team they dominated in the score and points in the paint. tOSU had 40 rebounds, including 15 on the offensive boards. This cant happen against much better teams, but it might unless it is corrected. By the way when USF played tOSU in Ohio and out rebounded them 32-23. Number of shots were similar in both games. Must be much tougher against all teams. Many more games to improve. UConn won, some things to like, but much work needed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My quote of October 31.
Call me Nostradamus (and please ignore the accidental wrong "there" in the last sentence. How embarrassing).
:eek:
th.gif

Reaction Score
IMO, UConn has two problem areas to play around to be a NC threat. Lack of size and physicality up front and lack of a good mid-range offense. Well coached teams with serious size will take away their only consistent post offense, Collier, forcing them into a perimeter, one and done offense. Other than Walker they have no slasher/pull up scorer to draw fouls and get to the line meaning they'll have to shoot 3s at a high percentage to score 80+ pts against those good teams. Defensive boards will be key which is why they'll have to stay in those zones. If they can't clear and get out in transition, run those big posts and get some easy points, they'll struggle. I like the 3/4 court trap forcing chaos and forcing non PGs to handle the ball. However, their lack of depth won't allow that for extended periods. Auriemma's going to have to really coach this year and make in-game adjustments. We'll see.
Saying any well-coached team with size will take away Collier is outlandish.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Always nice to hear from the opponents side .

Buckeyes left Storrs impressed with UConn women's team

“The thing I love about their team is their versatility,” McGuff said. “They are going to be incredibly hard to guard. They’ve got five people on the court who can make threes and handle the ball. They know how to play the game. And that is what’s going to be really special about them.”

Also, I think Pheesa is on a personal mission to give Megan some tough love and a kick in the tuchus if needed.

“Katie Lou and I were in that same situation our sophomore year,” Collier said. “When you are forced to be a playmaker and you know you have to contribute on the team, you have no choice but to do it or fail. I think she is realizing she has to contribute, and she did a great job of setting an example of that. She had to step up to the plate, and she did.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Always nice to hear from the opponents side .

Buckeyes left Storrs impressed with UConn women's team
“The thing I love about their team is their versatility,” McGuff said. “They are going to be incredibly hard to guard. They’ve got five people on the court who can make threes and handle the ball. They know how to play the game. And that is what’s going to be really special about them.”
Kevin owes me a check!
Your proposed starting lineup is going to be a nightmare to guard. 5 players that can beat you from behind the arc, with a pass, from mid range, or at the rim. Still think the season comes down to defense and getting a few key stops when we come up against a team that can score with us.

Reaction Score
UConn out rebounded by a team they dominated in the score and points in the paint. tOSU had 40 rebounds, including 15 on the offensive boards. This cant happen against much better teams, but it might unless it is corrected. By the way when USF played tOSU in Ohio and out rebounded them 32-23. Number of shots were similar in both games. Must be much tougher against all teams. Many more games to improve. UConn won, some things to like, but much work needed.
The rebound break down was or+dr=tr
UConn: 6 28 34 OSU: 15 25 40
The "opportunties" (missed FGs) for rebounds were:
UConn: 29 41 OSU: 41 29

So the rate would be:
UConn: 20.6 68.3 OSU: 36.5 86.2

Even worse than one might think. UConn won roughly 20% off board opportunites and 68% def boards. OSU stats were 36% 86%.

And OSU was not a particularly tall team.

I think OSU is going to be a lot better at the end of the year. Santoro seems to be their star player, but I really like Grande.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the characteristics of UConn WBB is that they “hit the ground running” at the start of the season, while other teams usually struggle to get it together, unless they’re playing cupcakes. However, with ND, Baylor & Oregon all having experienced teams, I would have expected better performances from all of them.

You’re right. Because the teams you mentioned play such a competitive conference schedule, they are not opposed to front load the early part of their OOC schedule with a lot of sugery bakery items, such as twinkees and cupcakes.

I always look at the quality and competitiveness of the teams they play early in the season before I become concerned about how well they’re playing, or their mov’s. Any top 25 ranked team can blow out a low mid-major program at home.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Height certainly helps in rebounding but more important are understanding how the ball comes off the rim and position for the rebound, athleticism, and sheer effort. Maya Moore, “only” 6-1, is second all time in rebounds at UConn after Tina. The top 10 list is:

Tina Charles, 6-4
Maya Moore, 6-1
Rebecca Lobo, 6-4
Breanna Stewart, 6-4
Stefanie Dolson, 6-5
Jamelle Elliott, 5-10
Gabby Williams, 5-11
Peggy Walsh Meyers ?
Kara Wolters, 6-7
Kerry Bascom, 6-1

Honestly, would anyone want to be in the way of Jamelle as she’s going for a rebound? :eek:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Height certainly helps in rebounding but more important are understanding how the ball comes off the rim and position for the rebound, athleticism, and sheer effort. Maya Moore, “only” 6-1, is second all time in rebounds at UConn after Tina. The top 10 list is:

Tina Charles, 6-4
Maya Moore, 6-1
Rebecca Lobo, 6-4
Breanna Stewart, 6-4
Stefanie Dolson, 6-5
Jamelle Elliott, 5-10
Gabby Williams, 5-11
Peggy Walsh Meyers ?
Kara Wolters, 6-7
Kerry Bascom, 6-1

Honestly, would anyone want to be in the way of Jamelle as she’s going for a rebound? :eek:
You are correct! Also, if her physicality didn't get you, her oral "yelps" did. Love her still. She got the shaft upon departure from Cinn. A person as dear as she is didn't deserve that!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think OSU is going to be a lot better at the end of the year. Santoro seems to be their star player, but I really like Grande.
The player doing most of the damage on the boards which you have very accurately broken down was Makayla Waterman. Great leadership, she was in the middle of everything offensively and defensively. BTW to underscore @HuskyNan point Makayla is only 6'2".

Reaction Score
A couple of quick fouls on any of the starters will make the unbeatable quite vulnerable. I'll bet that will be a big part of the game plan for opposing coaches, and I certainly would not want to get into a war of attrition with a team like ND.

You are right; ND loves to drive and draw fouls, as well as aggressively clearing out our rebounders . daring retaliation. We saw some of that from Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I must admit that the news of the underwhelming performance of those 3 teams to begin the season is welcome, as opposed to hearing that all 3 had blowout 50 point wins. And yes, we should feel good about UConn’s 32 point win over an Ohio State team that they should have defeated. Especially after USF tee’d them up for us. Imagine some of the comments that would have been posted if they had lost?

At the beginning of the season, I feel more comfortable waiting until a team (especially UConn) plays 5 games before I make any judgments or conclusions. Five games gives me a larger sample size to use than just a single game.

We’ll have a better idea about individual players, and the team as a whole, and an idea of what we can expect after they play the 3 paradise games in the Virgin Islands. We’ll know exactly what we’ve got by the Christmas break, after we’ve played most of the ranked teams on our schedule.

Well Sed! We may need to wait to get factual data we require to judge, that's true. There is always something useful to take away for every game--or why do they get played.
Your first sentence is exactly the way I feel as a fan. As a coach I may have had a different view.
Thanks Scoop, as usual, interesting, factual and fun read.

Reaction Score
We may be surprised when/if Geno has to turn CW loose.

Reaction Score
Wow! I can't believe you are drawing all those conclusions after watching one game. At least wait until December.
Have to agree. Let's wait until December is over. Then re-fashion our assessments. Or not. Say what you like.

Reaction Score
Way too early. Personally I never feel better about UCONN based on how other teams are playing.
I like the way UCONN is playing offensively. Love the shot distribution from the tOSU game and ball movement.
Disliked the over reliance on the three ball 22 of 60 FGA.
Hated that we were out rebounded by the tOSU (+6) and the continuity and flow of the game once the starters were out of the game. Much of that rebounding margin by tOSU came when UCONN was in man defense. Once UCONN substituted Mikayla tOSU stopped guarding certain parts of the floor. Both of these things need to get fixed.

Geno as far back as I can go believed in the 3 ball. So he pushed his teams to be more accurate with that shot. It takes 7 plus 2's to do what 5 3's will do. Shot for shot the payoff (with top shooter, obviouly) is better with the 3; something like this was related by Geno. When they are clanking, without the ability to rebound, they are a liability (22/60).
Without some ability to rebound well the fast break speedy offense stalls The question is where other than KLS, Megan, Naphees does that rebounding come from? With those 3 Misses EVERYTHING for Uconn taking on larger and larger minutes and responsibilities I fear for their health. At one time I believe most kids 15 to 25 could run 24/7 and run some more. I was never tasked to run as these kids must. I'm not fully naive about Coombs but she has speed, plays good defense (not starting 5 D), seems to have a good IQ and BBIQ--you are right she has areas that need work--but Uconn needs her or some one like her.

Reaction Score
Sooner Boomer---Is Geno holding Okay Dokie back or is she doing it? When she gets comfortable in the Div 1 game and where she fits in the scheme of Uconn--look out!!
What I liked about Oklahoma was: they had a Uconn (Yukon) there, where I lived.

Reaction Score
Sooner Boomer---Is Geno holding Okay Dokie back or is she doing it? When she gets comfortable in the Div 1 game and where she fits in the scheme of Uconn--look out!!
What I liked about Oklahoma was: they had a Uconn (Yukon) there, where I lived.
Yes they have it all in OK :cool:

I’m looking forward to going back for the UConn-OU game next month.

Reaction Score
Yes they have it all in OK :cool:

I’m looking forward to going back for the UConn-OU game next month.
I have written a few time to Sherri Coale a gracious lady. When they play Uconn my loyalty is a bit divided. That is a game, regardless of score, you shall enjoy.

Reaction Score
I thought of her and I think she has the ability to do that and eventually will. For a while though I think she’ll continue to defer on that until, as you say, Auriemma tells her he needs that penetration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom