Anyone feeling better about this UCONN? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone feeling better about this UCONN?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One thing for sure. When UConn meets Baylor here in Waco we'll all know a whole lot more about who's who and what's what. In the meantime I'm content to just let everybody get some experience under their belts before making any major conclusions.
Sure will. Baylor has #10 SC and #7 Stanford before playing UCONN both games on the road. UCONN has #1 @ND and #15 DePaul before arriving in Waco.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You are correct! Also, if her physicality didn't get you, her oral "yelps" did. Love her still. She got the shaft upon departure from Cinn. A person as dear as she is didn't deserve that!

You're right, but Jamelle* went there for a reason. She was an assistant for 11 years, she had to leave the nest and test the waters. She learned things (dealt with problems and people) there she would not have as an assistant. She's back home for awhile, but she may get the urge to coach once again.

If she does, the next opportunity will be a better "fit" for her at an institution that will respect and appreciate the knowledge and experience she brings, and will give her the support and respect she and her program deserves. When one door closes, another door always opens. ;)

*Elliott is one of only four players in UConn history to have more than 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds. The others are Maya Moore, Tina Charles and Rebecca Lobo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I saw a lot that I liked in the Ohio State game. I think Williams and Dangerfield could be the best guard combination since Jefferson and Hartley. I saw Collier making a lot of effort to set the defense. I saw NC and KLS showing senior leadership. I think that the starting five worked really well as a team. I thought the difference in rebounding was partially due to UCONN players trying to work out positioning and responsibilities in a team effort. They looked like they were trying to focus on each other and on the ball. At times this led to too many or too few players going for a rebound. I worry a little about the physicality of the game relative to Crystal and Katie Lou. Ohio State players were taking them down pretty hard and I fear other teams will do the same.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A freshman PG is an excellent reason for a team to need extra time to find traction.

In early season games, most teams are getting used to new lineups, knocking off rust, and implementing whatever new schemes the coaches have come up with over the summer. I wouldn’t get too excited either way over November game results.

I believe this was the philosophy Kim Mulkey (Baylor) had when she would regularly fill her OOC schedule with lower mid-majors most of which were played in Waco.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I saw a lot that I liked in the Ohio State game. I think Williams and Dangerfield could be the best guard combination since Jefferson and Hartley. I saw Collier making a lot of effort to set the defense. I saw NC and KLS showing senior leadership. I think that the starting five worked really well as a team. I thought the difference in rebounding was partially due to UCONN players trying to work out positioning and responsibilities in a team effort. They looked like they were trying to focus on each other and on the ball. At times this led to too many or too few players going for a rebound. I worry a little about the physicality of the game relative to Crystal and Katie Lou. Ohio State players were taking them down pretty hard and I fear other teams will do the same.

I want to ask you and the Yard a two part question........
1. What did you like in the Ohio State game as you just commented on.
2. What do you want to see in Thursday's game against Southern Connecticut State, and Saturday against Vanderbilt?

Reaction Score
A couple of quick fouls on any of the starters will make the unbeatable quite vulnerable. I'll bet that will be a big part of the game plan for opposing coaches, and I certainly would not want to get into a war of attrition with a team like ND.

yes you saw the game plan.....................dump it down low, crash the boards and attempt to get Collier and Walker into foul trouble.................also KLS having to leave her spot at the top of the key early to grab defensive rebounds is going to weaken the three point defense.................

Reaction Score
Geno said a lot about his team. He is concerned about depth, what else is new, and quipped about if anyone knew if Crystal W. played in that first game. I think Huskies go 4 starters better than any team, but they will have issues with size and depth. That is why I was happy to see more bench players earlier in the state game. Hopefully he will realize it will be crucial to develop more depth. Last year exposed how his greatest strength (striving for perfection) could be used against him. Because he wasn’t pleased with bench play, not enough bench was developed and that was the difference in the semi. Credit to MM to get deep enough into the UCONN bench. By the way is there a nickname for the new Crystal? Caroline Ducharme?

Reaction Score
I was quite enthusiastic about this UConn team before the season began, and continue to be. I don't concur that it is WAY too early to fell highly confident about where this team is headed. It boasts three of the best players in WCBB and the remaining starters are both #1 recruits in their respective years. I have watched, over the years, the manner in which players make giant leaps once their Freshman year is completed, and fully expected that dynamic to play out with respect to Megan Walker. Nothing I've seen so far dissuades me from the conviction that she is making the transition to becoming MEGAN WALKER! Chrystin is showing signs that she may be one of those transcendent players that excel as Freshmen. It all looks pretty promising to me.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno said a lot about his team. He is concerned about depth, what else is new, and quipped about if anyone knew if Crystal W. played in that first game. I think Huskies go 4 starters better than any team, but they will have issues with size and depth. That is why I was happy to see more bench players earlier in the state game. Hopefully he will realize it will be crucial to develop more depth. Last year exposed how his greatest strength (striving for perfection) could be used against him. Because he wasn’t pleased with bench play, not enough bench was developed and that was the difference in the semi. Credit to MM to get deep enough into the UCONN bench. By the way is there a nickname for the new Crystal? Caroline Ducharme?
Her name is not Crystal.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Her name is not Crystal.

Reaction Score
It's hard to watch early season games against inferior opponents. Jump in early December after the play ND...…..ND might be 15 point favorites at home. This UCONN team will be very tough come March, if the get some bench players to show up and contribute...

Reaction Score
I feel great about this team if we stay healthy( really the starting 5), and if MW and CW have solid seasons.
I don’t worry about other teams in November.

Reaction Score
One of the characteristics of UConn WBB is that they “hit the ground running” at the start of the season...

Unlike the previous five years, UConn did not hit the ground running in its first game against OSU. The uncharacteristic lack of defense was noticeable. Definitely something to keep our eyes on as the season progresses.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unlike the previous five years, UConn did not hit the ground running in its first game against OSU. The uncharacteristic lack of defense was noticeable. Definitely something to keep our eyes on as the season progresses.
Really? UConn was up 30 in the 1st half. tOSU shot 29% for the game, scoring only 53 pts. I’ll take that every game.

Reaction Score
Wow! I can't believe you are drawing all those conclusions after watching one game. At least wait until December.
Waiting until December would be sensible, but there is much more fun in popping off right now. Our Huskies will be to quick for the bigs of ND, Baylor, and Texas.

Reaction Score
It's hard to watch early season games against inferior opponents. Jump in early December after the play ND...…..ND might be 15 point favorites at home. This UCONN team will be very tough come March, if the get some bench players to show up and contribute...
NWIH ND is a 15-point favorite. Even right now it would be single digits or even-up. By December 2 (less than 3 weeks from now) they might not even be the favorite. The WCBB world is fully aware that UConn has 3 #1 HS players starting, along with the best coach, and is just waiting for UConn to do their usual, "Ooops - we're the best team this year after all" schtick. Our Ohio State game along with Baylor's and Oregon's recent performances haven't done anything to dispell that notion. I don't think we'll disappoint.

Expectations are very high (no pressure tho :p )

Reaction Score

Really? UConn was up 30 in the 1st half. tOSU shot 29% for the game, scoring only 53 pts. I’ll take that every game.

The game with St Johns is not yet over...but UConn's issues on defense manifested materially tonight.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

The game with St Johns is not yet over...but UConn's issues on defense manifested materially tonight.
So tell me something. Have you been waiting for two weeks to quote my post following the tOSU game so you could tell me, “I told you so?” I already have a wife. I’m not looking for a second one.

Reaction Score
A couple of quick fouls on any of the starters will make the unbeatable quite vulnerable. I'll bet that will be a big part of the game plan for opposing coaches, and I certainly would not want to get into a war of attrition with a team like ND.

What is UConn gonna do when these big teams pound the ball inside? Play zone? Give them layups? Foul? Walker may need to come off the bench against big teams and allow ONO or Camara to start.

Reaction Score
Always nice to hear from the opponents side .

Buckeyes left Storrs impressed with UConn women's team

“The thing I love about their team is their versatility,” McGuff said. “They are going to be incredibly hard to guard. They’ve got five people on the court who can make threes and handle the ball. They know how to play the game. And that is what’s going to be really special about them.”

Also, I think Pheesa is on a personal mission to give Megan some tough love and a kick in the tuchus if needed.

“Katie Lou and I were in that same situation our sophomore year,” Collier said. “When you are forced to be a playmaker and you know you have to contribute on the team, you have no choice but to do it or fail. I think she is realizing she has to contribute, and she did a great job of setting an example of that. She had to step up to the plate, and she did.”

IMO THAT (above) is what Geno is striving for. 5 players that are interchangeable on the floor. They can all play 1-4. He is happy outscoring your 2's w/his 3's. Nothing else explains his aversion to recruiting bigs. Before you say ONO her game in HS was like Stewie's (inside/outside).

Reaction Score
Way too early to feel anything but worry, it seems to me. We've seen some good things, but as was said above, give it some time.
Many wrote about the Bench or lack thereof. ANY coach has to trust those he puts in to not make things worse; Geno has varying levels of trust on his players and sometimes it varys in games, I would.
If Geno had players some are Sophs some are Jr's that even some poorly versed fans know can't handle Div one good teams, he'd play anyone that made a difference. Geno is a lot of things but he is no fool and he hates to lose more than any fan. Some things I'd have done differently. I don't have to face jeering fans for my mistakes.
Geno this year so far has used much more of his bench in bigger games than in the past. He has put them in earlier than in the past. He teaches more in games. Talent is very important and confidence with that talent makes a better player.
Also teams, platoons, Companies, all look to the leaders. If they see them afraid it puts fear in themselves. It becomes contagious, leaders (KLS, Phee) have to lead and show confidence--Geno can't do that it's a team factor.

Reaction Score
So tell me something. Have you been waiting for two weeks to quote my post following the tOSU game so you could tell me, “I told you so?” I already have a wife. I’m not looking for a second one.
Wife or no wife, right or wrong. This team will get better. Some games are struggles, so be it, they can be fun too. Geno will kick some butt, pat some backs, teach more, and fix those issues he can; but talent is with the player or it isn't and so if confidence. I wondered for years why Geno placed so much emphasis on confidence--I see it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom