Anyone else get the sense that the PAC is slow playing media rights negotiations on purpose? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone else get the sense that the PAC is slow playing media rights negotiations on purpose?

Reaction Score
It would have to be really compelling for Colorado to leave the Pac 12 for the Big 12. I think many of the insiders share my skepticism that the Big 12 will somehow emerge as the P3 with its future membership. The Big 12 has a good contract right now, and that is basically all they have going for them. I think they are more likely to be the #5 conference than the #3 conference going forward.
I do agree with you that the only thing going for the Big 12 is a contract until 2031. Most B12 schools outside Kansas aren't state flagship schools. Most are second and third tier schools in their states.

The only reason Colorado leave is if they really don't feel the PAC-12 will stay together. If the PAC-12 signed a decent media deal and schools signed a GOR, it would be very hard for Colorado to leave. If the Big 12 is smart, they invite UConn now regardless the situation with Colorado because we easily could be one of the best media properties in that conference today.

Reaction Score
As I have said 10 times, UConn wants a healthy PAC 12 media deal. There is no realistic scenario where Colorado leaves and everyone else stays in the Pac12. They all stay, or they all want to leave.
11 times now

Reaction Score
It would have to be really compelling for Colorado to leave the Pac 12 for the Big 12. I think many of the insiders share my skepticism that the Big 12 will somehow emerge as the P3 with its future membership. The Big 12 has a good contract right now, and that is basically all they have going for them. I think they are more likely to be the #5 conference than the #3 conference going forward.
Nothing we have seen or heard in the past year indicates the PAC or the ACC are more stable than the Big 12 financially or competitively. The Big 12 has an option, should they choose it, to pick up three significant market properties. Two of which elevate the, 2nd major sport significantly, and all the with potentially improving football teams. You can say whatever you like, but the fact that the PAC is a sitting duck for the B1G and the ACC for the SEC doesn't support your claim.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yormarks desire for coast to coast and a NY presence are the two tidbits I’ve locked onto that this might finally happen. If all stay in the PAC due to a good number I think we’re screwed…….again

Hard to say.

A very good Pac12 contract ends things. A very bad Pac12 contract ends things for us.

We need a medium Pac12 contract that is short enough from the B12 contract to induce around one Pac12 member to jump.

As always with conference realignment, our window is very small.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A really good Pac 12 contract should make the Big 12 more aggressive in adding schools that can bring value.

If another Pac 12 school leaves, any TV partners will run for the hills and the Pac 12 will collapse. There is no scenario where Colorado and UConn both end up in the Big 12. Either UConn by itself or with someone like Gonzaga, or not at all.

Reaction Score
A really good Pac 12 contract should make the Big 12 more aggressive in adding schools that can bring value.

If another Pac 12 school leaves, any TV partners will run for the hills and the Pac 12 will collapse. There is no scenario where Colorado and UConn both end up in the Big 12. Either UConn by itself or with someone like Gonzaga, or not at all.
Zero chance UConn as a stand alone add. There has to be a PAC partner. I think most on this board discount Colorado leaving and everyone else staying. Even with a mediocre media deal.

Reaction Score
Zero chance UConn as a stand alone add. There has to be a PAC partner. I think most on this board discount Colorado leaving and everyone else staying. Even with a mediocre media deal.

Why? There are no divisions in the B12. We have no rivalries with any PAC12 schools that enhance our value with their addition. Our value to the B12 is the same whether Colorado jumps or doesn't jump,

A small argument can be made that our value increases if the PAC12 holds together, the B12 would look weak if they go through this process and add nobody while the PAC12 starts adding schools. Adding schools always seems to result in a conference becoming stronger. I can't think of any instance where a conference added a program and came out of it looking weaker and Uconn isn't just any school, we are one of the top basketball brands in the country, and our football team performed very well the last time it was in a power level conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why? There are no divisions in the B12. We have no rivalries with any PAC12 schools that enhance our value with their addition. Our value to the B12 is the same whether Colorado jumps or doesn't jump,

A small argument can be made that our value increases if the PAC12 holds together, the B12 would look weak if they go through this process and add nobody while the PAC12 starts adding schools. Adding schools always seems to result in a conference becoming stronger.
My understanding is the original 8 Big 12 members would have to subsidize the UConn addition by itself with the UT/OU exit fees and they won't do that. No idea why adding a PAC school makes a media payment different. Just what I heard.

Reaction Score
My understanding is the original 8 Big 12 members would have to subsidize the UConn addition by itself with the UT/OU exit fees and they won't do that. No idea why adding a PAC school makes a media payment different. Just what I heard.

the subsidy would probably come into play if a Memphis were added with UConn, not UConn as a stand alone.

Reaction Score
Hard to say.

A very good Pac12 contract ends things. A very bad Pac12 contract ends things for us.

We need a medium Pac12 contract that is short enough from the B12 contract to induce around one Pac12 member to jump.

As always with conference realignment, our window is very small.
I will add that a decent PAC-12 media contract could mean PAC-12 could be poaching B12 schools in the future as well.

If schools like Oregon state
Why would UConn need subsidizing? If the B12 add UConn today, it would gain a very valuable media property in the East. I am pretty sure media partners would pay pro rata for UConn since they will gain huge media markets along with two blue blood basketball programs.

The only flagship state school in the B12 now is Kansas. Kansas also has Kstate to compete with along with multiple pro teams like Chiefs and Royals etc.

Uconn would bring the state of CT with its large media markets including a part of NYC and New England. CT is also a bigger state than Kansas with no pro teams. UConn would also be the #1 academic school in the B12 as a public ivy.

I know people keep bashing UConn football, but UConn was very competitive before a string of bad coaching hires. When UConn played in the Big East for football, it won 2 Big East championships and went to a BCS bowl. Uconn had close to 33k football season ticket holders. The fact is when UConn football was winning, fans showed up. UConn finally got a real coach in Jim Mora. He is building the program, and I truly believe UConn will be very competitive within 5 years in the Big 12 competing for Big 12 championships. Today, Mora just landed a 4 stars Texas QB with offers from schools like Arizona, Colorado, and others. Being in the B12, it would be even easier to recruit for Mora.

Uconn also has mid P5 to top P5 football facilities. Mora said it is better than UCLA's, and many recruits started as such.

UConn would immediately be one of the top media properties in the B12 from day even with the current state of the football program.

Reaction Score
There is zero chance of a very good Pac-12 contract. If that existed it would have been signed by now. It took the Big 12 about two weeks to land a new deal. The Pac-12 is at over a year. Their best bet is an "ok" deal with heavy streaming.

Reaction Score
There is zero chance of a very good Pac-12 contract. If that existed it would have been signed by now. It took the Big 12 about two weeks to land a new deal. The Pac-12 is at over a year. Their best bet is an "ok" deal with heavy streaming.
It’s like the AAC contract. It’s about how much someone is willing to pay you. I’d be surprised if they get a contract as good as the Big 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Generally I would agree with this logic. The only caveat to this is that neither the Big 12’s big contract nor the PAC 12’s lack of a contract make any sense at all.

The market is at the tipping point for how programs are valued given streaming, and we are seeing the death throes of the ESPN empire. College sports will look radically different in 5 or 10 years, and this PAC 12 agreement is the first step in this change. Every contract will be messy going forward.

Reaction Score
I will add that a decent PAC-12 media contract could mean PAC-12 could be poaching B12 schools in the future as well.

Why would UConn need subsidizing? If the B12 add UConn today, it would gain a very valuable media property in the East. I am pretty sure media partners would pay pro rata for UConn since they will gain huge media markets along with two blue blood basketball programs.

The only flagship state school in the B12 now is Kansas. Kansas also has Kstate to compete with along with multiple pro teams like Chiefs and Royals etc.

Uconn would bring the state of CT with its large media markets including a part of NYC and New England. CT is also a bigger state than Kansas with no pro teams. UConn would also be the #1 academic school in the B12 as a public ivy.

I know people keep bashing UConn football, but UConn was very competitive before a string of bad coaching hires. When UConn played in the Big East for football, it won 2 Big East championships and went to a BCS bowl. Uconn had close to 33k football season ticket holders. The fact is when UConn football was winning, fans showed up. UConn finally got a real coach in Jim Mora. He is building the program, and I truly believe UConn will be very competitive within 5 years in the Big 12 competing for Big 12 championships. Today, Mora just landed a 4 stars Texas QB with offers from schools like Arizona, Colorado, and others. Being in the B12, it would be even easier to recruit for Mora.

Uconn also has mid P5 to top P5 football facilities. Mora said it is better than UCLA's, and many recruits started as such.

UConn would immediately be one of the top media properties in the B12 from day even with the current state of the football program.
WVU is a B12 flagship.

Reaction Score

I always thought WVU was a flagship state school... Is it not?

Reaction Score
WVU is a B12 flagship.
You are correct. It was my mistake to omit them. I forgot WVU because the size of the state. WVU and Kansas are two state flagship universities.

If B12 add UConn, Arizona, and Colorado, it will give the B12 5 flagship state universities. It will make the B12 much more valuable in the long run.

Reaction Score
Yormarks desire for coast to coast and a NY presence are the two tidbits I’ve locked onto that this might finally happen. If all stay in the PAC due to a good number I think we’re screwed…….again
I think it’s the opposite. Good TV deal for the PAC12 likely means all stay for now (until the BIG10 calls) and they backfill with us and maybe Colorado? Just my guess.

Reaction Score
If he wants New York, it is likely independent of anything else happening. When you want to ad a market, you don’t need to add another one with it. It isn’t necessary. I could easily see us being added and Yormark simply stating that they wanted us and will continue to look at expansion going forward. We don’t need a partner.
Exactly. We could travel to UWV & Cincy for BB trips and similar for the farther schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom