Anyone else get the sense that the PAC is slow playing media rights negotiations on purpose? | The Boneyard

Anyone else get the sense that the PAC is slow playing media rights negotiations on purpose?

Reaction Score
July 1 seems to be a big day in terms of CR. If they don’t announce new media rights by then they seemingly buy themselves another year.

My conspiracy kitty senses are tingling. Any delay by Colorado puts us back into rule 1 of CR.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
A bad PAC 12 TV deal does not help UConn in any way.
I'm not sure I agree. The more pieces are moving around the board, the more likely it is UConn can become one of those moving pieces. We all know how it is. Realignment doesn't really include minor shifts here or there with the exception of the AAC -> BE move

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree. The more pieces are moving around the board, the more likely it is UConn can become one of those moving pieces. We all know how it is. Realignment doesn't really include minor shifts here or there with the exception of the AAC -> BE move

If the Pac 12 TV deal sucks, 4 teams are leaving the Pac 12 for the Big 12. It also probably signals that we have hit the peak for sports media rights. How do either of those things help UConn?

Reaction Score
Yormarks desire for coast to coast and a NY presence are the two tidbits I’ve locked onto that this might finally happen. If all stay in the PAC due to a good number I think we’re screwed…….again

Reaction Score
Yormarks desire for coast to coast and a NY presence are the two tidbits I’ve locked onto that this might finally happen. If all stay in the PAC due to a good number I think we’re screwed…….again
If he wants New York, it is likely independent of anything else happening. When you want to ad a market, you don’t need to add another one with it. It isn’t necessary. I could easily see us being added and Yormark simply stating that they wanted us and will continue to look at expansion going forward. We don’t need a partner.

Reactions: DGB

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
July 1 seems to be a big day in terms of CR. If they don’t announce new media rights by then they seemingly buy themselves another year.

My conspiracy kitty senses are tingling. Any delay by Colorado puts us back into rule 1 of CR.

4F4A5249-12C1-484B-A735-0C9EB8F224D8.jpeg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Nothing at all. She just smiles and nods.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't know, you can make the argument that Connecticut gives you a fourth eastern time zone school, which should help round out a days worth of content, regardless of whether any PAC 12 schools join. Also keep in mind that even if the PAC 12 schools hold firm there's still Gonzaga and San Diego as potential West Coast ads. The real question is whether ESPN will pay full value for us or whether our in-state corporation screws us yet again.

Reaction Score
I don't know, you can make the argument that Connecticut gives you a fourth eastern time zone school, which should help round out a days worth of content, regardless of whether any PAC 12 schools join. Also keep in mind that even if the PAC 12 schools hold firm there's still Gonzaga and San Diego as potential West Coast ads. The real question is whether ESPN will pay full value for us or whether our in-state corporation screws us yet again.
Fox and espn have already said (according to insiders) that they will pay full price for uconn and San Diego state to the big 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If he wants New York, it is likely independent of anything else happening. When you want to ad a market, you don’t need to add another one with it. It isn’t necessary. I could easily see us being added and Yormark simply stating that they wanted us and will continue to look at expansion going forward. We don’t need a partner.

I agree with this. UConn does not need a partner, but if the Pac 12 rats start abandoning the sinking ship, there may not be room for UConn on the Big 12 lifeboat.

Reaction Score
If the Pac 12 TV deal sucks, 4 teams are leaving the Pac 12 for the Big 12. It also probably signals that we have hit the peak for sports media rights. How do either of those things help UConn?
The only thing I can see it doing is ensure the demise of the ACC. Which doesn't help us tomorrow but does help in the long term

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, you always delay and slow walk the bad news when you are trying to keep a group together.
That gives you time for a Hail Mary play. It seldom works out, but yeah it's in the playbook.

Reaction Score
Agree they are in no hurry until School #1 leaves and I think it's CU.
But the June clock is ticking and until something happens we'll hear more stories about "Big12 wait and see" and whatever generates clicks. Sooner is better obviously.

From June 7:
Bronze medal?? Would that imply better numbers than ACC or Big12? Because, sorry Pac10, without USC and UCLA, you aren't getting anywhere near the new Big12 numbers.
He knows that. It's also the reason why the PAC 12 is slow rolling the final deal. They want to freeze everyone in place

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, if the P-12 received what they view as an acceptable offer the world would know about it minutes after the member schools were informed.

The slow play is due to the lack of traction in negotiations.

Reaction Score
Just found this. It may be that they’re trying to do too much. Three problems
1. Media rights
2 grant of rights. 1 won’t happen without 2. And
3. PAC expansion. Won’t happen without 1 and 2.

Article is from April but worth a read

Reaction Score
They're not slow paying anything. He's just got his back up against a wall as the money isn't there they want and expect.

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, if the P-12 received what they view as an acceptable offer the world would know about it minutes after the member schools were informed.

The slow play is due to the lack of traction in negotiations.
I'll go with this take. GOR is out the window without a sweet deal. They all know what happened with the ACC and this league is even more vulnerable after USC/UCLA departures. Some Robin Hood would need to swoop in and be willing to pay a lot for a watered down product and their best programs not willing to sign a GOR.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They're not slow paying anything. He's just got his back up against a wall as the money isn't there they want and expect.

If the Pac 12 has nothing, then why aren't all the schools heading for the exits? Do you think these university Presidents, who run these massive organizations with Boards that are very connected, are sitting around completely in the dark and hoping for the best?

If they are all sitting tight, then they must think they are getting something decent. Otherwise they wouldn't be sitting tight.

Reaction Score
Given the PAC's location to Silicon Valley and LA, I won't be surprised if they pull a rabbit out a hat and get a good deal from someone. There are a lot of very wealthy and powerful alums that work in tech, entertainment and media in these cities and love the PAC. It only takes one key connection to make something happen. Also, the PAC is very strong academically and that is a binding voice at the presidential level. Conversely, the B12 stinks academically by comparison to the other P5 conferences. The presidents probably all prefer the PAC.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If the Pac 12 has nothing, then why aren't all the schools heading for the exits? Do you think these university Presidents, who run these massive organizations with Boards that are very connected, are sitting around completely in the dark and hoping for the best?

If they are all sitting tight, then they must think they are getting something decent. Otherwise they wouldn't be sitting tight.

They don’t want to leave. Their preferred choice is to stay together as the PAC. The only reason they would leave is if the contract is sub par. If the PAC had an acceptable contract it would already be signed. They are holding out to see if something comes along.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom