Anyone else get the sense that the PAC is slow playing media rights negotiations on purpose? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else get the sense that the PAC is slow playing media rights negotiations on purpose?

Reaction Score
Given the PAC's location to Silicon Valley and LA, I won't be surprised if they pull a rabbit out a hat and get a good deal from someone. There are a lot of very wealthy and powerful alums that work in tech, entertainment and media in these cities and love the PAC. It only takes one key connection to make something happen. Also, the PAC is very strong academically and that is a binding voice at the presidential level. Conversely, the B12 stinks academically by comparison to the other P5 conferences. The presidents probably all prefer the PAC.
If those backers went to USC or UCLA their priorities may have changed. And business is business.

Reaction Score
If those backers went to USC or UCLA their priorities may have changed. And business is business.
And also the PAC looks a lot less prestigious when the BiG grabs Stanford and Cal Berkeley to add to UCLA and USC.

Reaction Score
Is anything good for UConn ever? If so, what? I'm serious, what would be good for UConn right now, iyo?

It certainly doesn't hurt UConn if the PAC12 gets a good deal and holds together. We should at that point be the #1 target for the B12.

If the PAC12 holds together and the B12 doesn't offer us it just proves they never wanted us.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s a slow play specifically. I just think that all of the schools outside of Colorado would prefer to remain together, so they are entertaining just about any legitimate offer outside of PBS or QVC to try to do so. This could be good for UConn if just Colorado leaves.

Reaction Score
Is anything good for UConn ever? If so, what? I'm serious, what would be good for UConn right now, iyo?
Good question, I have been pondering that very same issue. Like others, I think that the PAC12 staying together, at least retaining 3 out of 4 corner schools, is helpful. I have been wondering why the B1G just doesn't keep going and take Cal, Stanford, WA, and OR. Under that scenario, it is hard to see how UConn would make out well. Also, CO seems to be jonesing for the B12 much like UConn for the NBE, regardless of the PAC12 media package. So if that happens, the natural second party is SDSU or UConn. SDSU will have a $34 million severance fee and UConn $30 million. Unless of course the invite comes earlier than 6/30 for SDSU. And SDSU will have a second suitor, the PAC12. I suspect that Yormark has indeed been having very preliminary discussions with Memphis, that if you parse his statements you will probably find he did not lie. But he was close to that borderline.

Reaction Score
Good question, I have been pondering that very same issue. Like others, I think that the PAC12 staying together, at least retaining 3 out of 4 corner schools, is helpful. I have been wondering why the B1G just doesn't keep going and take Cal, Stanford, WA, and OR. Under that scenario, it is hard to see how UConn would make out well. Also, CO seems to be jonesing for the B12 much like UConn for the NBE, regardless of the PAC12 media package. So if that happens, the natural second party is SDSU or UConn. SDSU will have a $34 million severance fee and UConn $30 million. Unless of course the invite comes earlier than 6/30 for SDSU. And SDSU will have a second suitor, the PAC12. I suspect that Yormark has indeed been having very preliminary discussions with Memphis, that if you parse his statements you will probably find he did not lie. But he was close to that borderline.
Wouldn't UConn's fee be $15 million by the time they actually left? These moves to P5 conferences seem to take 2 years minimum and usually 3. I mean it feels like Texas and Oklahoma have been departing the Big 12 for the SEC for years already, and even with their early exit negotiation are still more than a year away from actually moving.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't UConn's fee be $15 million by the time they actually left? These moves to P5 conferences seem to take 2 years minimum and usually 3. I mean it feels like Texas and Oklahoma have been departing the Big 12 for the SEC for years already, and even with their early exit negotiation are still more than a year away from actually moving.
Dunno, but very good point.

Reaction Score
Think the contracts are written that the exit fee kicks in upon date of notification not date of departure

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they want us starting in 2027, then sure. If they want us earlier, then we go earlier. The added revenue easily makes up for the additional cost. Keep in mind to that the Big East exit fee is paid in for installments so $30 million is paid installments of $7.5 million for four years.

Reaction Score
If they want us starting in 2027, then sure. If they want us earlier, then we go earlier. The added revenue easily makes up for the additional cost. Keep in mind to that the Big East exit fee is paid in for installments so $30 million is paid installments of $7.5 million for four years.
Yup, of course the entrance fee is on top of that, also paid in installments as a draw against future shares. But that would still mean a YoY increase even accounting for the fact that there is a schedule to full share as well.

Reaction Score
Colorado is "Jonesing" for a stable conference and more money. And the new FB Coach I'm sure has no problem spending time in Texas.

Reaction Score
Colorado is "Jonesing" for a stable conference and more money. And the new FB Coach I'm sure has no problem spending time in Texas.
CU seems to be finally waking up from their self-induced football coma of the last 20+ years. Hiring Deion is a signal that they want to be relevant in today's game. I could definitely see both their coaches and AD pushing for the move based on the additional dollars that they'd bring in, along with a better overall alignment of conference priorities. The PAC, just like the ACC, seems to really struggle with its conference identity. The Big 12 does not. Their priorities are in order: 1)Play good football and get somebody in the playoff. 2) Be strong in basketball getting as many teams in the tournament as possible. 3) Be competitive in everything else. Who knows what Stanford, Cal, Wazzu, ASU or some of these schools put first?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

As I have said 10 times, UConn wants a healthy PAC 12 media deal. There is no realistic scenario where Colorado leaves and everyone else stays in the Pac12. They all stay, or they all want to leave.

Reaction Score
I have been wondering why the B1G just doesn't keep going and take Cal, Stanford, WA, and OR.
I think it's coming - eventually. I don't think it happened yet for several reasons:

1. If the B1G took 50% of the PAC 12 in one swoop, that could lead to legal action on the part of the PAC-12. No idea if it would be successful or not, but who wants to mess with messy court cases?

2. Taking USC and UCLA now, while severely damaging the PAC 12, at least gives the PAC time to stabilize and find a couple replacements. The B1G will feed again, but the PAC can at least exist functionally if these hits don't happen all at once.

3. The B1G legitimately wants to properly integrate USC and UCLA into the conference. The B1G has never added more than two new teams at any time, let alone teams multiple time zones away. The B1G wants to work out any kinks with scheduling to make sure a coast-to-coast conference puts all conference teams in the best scenario possible.

4. The B1G needs to evaluate it's rivalries and games played vs. other conference opponents. The B1G now has a football schedule that works with 16 teams, and it seems to be a great model to follow. What does this look like with 18 schools? 20? 24? The more teams you add, the fewer times you play other teams. The B1G needs to evaluate to see what they are willing to sacrifice to add more schools. Not just football, but all sports.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think it's coming - eventually. I don't think it happened yet for several reasons:

1. If the B1G took 50% of the PAC 12 in one swoop, that could lead to legal action on the part of the PAC-12. No idea if it would be successful or not, but who wants to mess with messy court cases?

2. Taking USC and UCLA now, while severely damaging the PAC 12, at least gives the PAC time to stabilize and find a couple replacements. The B1G will feed again, but the PAC can at least exist functionally if these hits don't happen all at once.

3. The B1G legitimately wants to properly integrate USC and UCLA into the conference. The B1G has never added more than two new teams at any time, let alone teams multiple time zones away. The B1G wants to work out any kinks with scheduling to make sure a coast-to-coast conference puts all conference teams in the best scenario possible.

4. The B1G needs to evaluate it's rivalries and games played vs. other conference opponents. The B1G now has a football schedule that works with 16 teams, and it seems to be a great model to follow. What does this look like with 18 schools? 20? 24? The more teams you add, the fewer times you play other teams. The B1G needs to evaluate to see what they are willing to sacrifice to add more schools. Not just football, but all sports.
This post is right on.

Reaction Score
If the Pac 12 has nothing, then why aren't all the schools heading for the exits? Do you think these university Presidents, who run these massive organizations with Boards that are very connected, are sitting around completely in the dark and hoping for the best?

If they are all sitting tight, then they must think they are getting something decent. Otherwise they wouldn't be sitting tight.
Very simple, because the P12 teams have no where to go but the Big12, and the B12 needs approval as well. In addition, I don't think Yormark will expedite anything and will likely take his time determining who/what they want and can fund. The B12 doesn't have to be in a hurry, they have a deal already. Upper hand is king.

Reaction Score
As I have said 10 times, UConn wants a healthy PAC 12 media deal. There is no realistic scenario where Colorado leaves and everyone else stays in the Pac12. They all stay, or they all want to leave.

It would be ideal if just Colorado left the PAC. I truly believe the rest of the PAC schools want to stay together. Most of these schools would have to hold their noses to join the B12 with the massive downgrade in academic reputations. As someone who lives 15 mins from Stanford, there is definitely a sort of elitism (not quite as bad as East Coast ivies though) here. It is hard to imagine Stanford and UC Berkley alums hanging out with OK St alums.

It would be ideal if just Colorado left the PAC-12 while the rest stay put for a few years. For UCONN, it would be much better for us to be in a P5 now vs trying to find a spot when the PAC-12 and the ACC both implode in the future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It would be ideal if just Colorado left the PAC. I truly believe the rest of the PAC schools want to stay together. Most of these schools would have to hold their noses to join the B12 with the massive downgrade in academic reputations. As someone who lives 15 mins from Stanford, there is definitely a sort of elitism (not quite as bad as East Coast ivies though) here. It is hard to imagine Stanford and UC Berkley alums hanging out with OK St alums.

It would be ideal if just Colorado left the PAC-12 while the rest stay put for a few years. For UCONN, it would be much better for us to be in a P5 now vs trying to find a spot when the PAC-12 and the ACC both implode in the future.

It would have to be really compelling for Colorado to leave the Pac 12 for the Big 12. I think many of the insiders share my skepticism that the Big 12 will somehow emerge as the P3 with its future membership. The Big 12 has a good contract right now, and that is basically all they have going for them. I think they are more likely to be the #5 conference than the #3 conference going forward.

Reaction Score
Something on the order of 40+ million people in its immediate sphere of influence with almost no competition. Despite all the "streaming" and other talk of monitizing whatever, physical proximity still counts, and that means geography. If anybody in Storrs ever gets off their ass and figures out that the way to tap into those 42,000,000, is to show them a desirable product, the rest will follow. People are attracted to winners. Winners pay off. Investment first. Winning next. Payoff last.

Reaction Score
It would have to be really compelling for Colorado to leave the Pac 12 for the Big 12. I think many of the insiders share my skepticism that the Big 12 will somehow emerge as the P3 with its future membership. The Big 12 has a good contract right now, and that is basically all they have going for them. I think they are more likely to be the #5 conference than the #3 conference going forward.
And I'd rather be in the no. 5 power conference than not in one at all. Basically the B1G and SEC will be 1-2 and the rest will be tied for 3rd.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom