Anyone else concerned about our Bowl Tie Ins? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone else concerned about our Bowl Tie Ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/

>>Q: Also Mike, for clarity’s sake, can you explain the route to the playoffs when that system kicks in next year? It’s been presented as though your conference will be frozen out of the mix. It will be more difficult sure but there is access.

A: We have every bit as much access to get into the playoffs. This is a tiered system. We have the four team playoff that’s going to determine the national champion. We have the ability to get into that just like anybody else. In fact, Cincinnati, was No.3 under Brian Kelly a few years ago, well, they would have been in it. We are going to compete. We have just as much of an opportunity as everybody else. The other opportunity if we don’t make the four-team playoff, is to potentially end up on New Year’s Day or New Year’s Eve in one of those important system bowls. One of those and three we could potentially be in are the Fiesta, the Cotton or the Chick-Fil-A and there our conference champion would need to be the highest ranked of the group of five conferences which includes Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt and Mid-American. As you know, we’ve got our sights set on competing with the other five, the ACC, Big Ten, nobody is the SEC, but we want to compete with that group guys. We hope that our champion is the highest ranked of the other five then our champion on New Year’s Day or New Year’s Eve. If that champion doesn’t then we would also want a top-tier program but we have every bit of as much opportunity as anybody else. We have to do on the field. Strength of schedule is key. The makeup of the selection committee is going to be key here as well.<<

Reaction Score
I've read all of Dez's Aresco updates today. Aresco appears great at spin. The best thing I took out of those blog entries is that Aresco believes the TV contract can be renegotiated half way through. He's been wrong so far on every front, so time will tell.

Reaction Score
I've read all of Dez's Aresco updates today. Aresco appears great at spin. The best thing I took out of those blog entries is that Aresco believes the TV contract can be renegotiated half way through. He's been wrong so far on every front, so time will tell.
Aresco = Obama

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
After this season The A will have a pretty poor bowl lineup, not that is was ever great, but expect more games against CUSA and MWC and fewer against the top 5. Also expect more multi league tie-in where a bowl slot is shared between the ACC/B1G/A etc. My prediction looks like this

Best of the Rest BCS (in some years)
St. Pete Bowl (ESPN owned so we keep that)
Pinstripe (as part of a shared deal with B1G, ACC, ND and the A)
Belk (ACC vs. B1G/A, A gets the short end)
Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas (it's in Houston and the B1G just dropped it)
Birmingham Bowl (A vs. CUSA/SEC, no one else wants it.)
New Orleans Bowl (it's in New Orleans, no one else wants it. Likely v. CUSA/Sun Belt or else it's Shreveport, ugh)
Bowl to be named later (There will be a ESPN/A created bowl game, maybe in Jacksonville)
Armed Forces Bowl (in Fort Worth, can't sell enough tix for the Heart of Texas bowl in the old Cotton, hope for B12 opp)

Two in Texas/Florida, keep least partial access to Pinstripe, one new bowl (hopefully in Fla),one in NO, and Birmingham. Probably end up with only 7 slots in any given year.

Bowls I'd like to see but probably won't;
Liberty in Memphis vs. SEC
Las Vegas vs. MWC
At least one guaranteed bowl game against B1G and ACC every year.
One of the Texas games vs. B12.

Reaction Score
I do think they (American) end up with Liberty Bowl in Memphis but not sure it's will be against SEC.

Reaction Score
Greg Auman (@gregauman)
5/21/13, 5:59 PM
Commissioner Mike Aresco says American (AAC) will look into creating its own bowl game in new lineup, potentially played in south Florida.

Key will be which conference(s) the tie-in will be. AAC is in dire straights as it is.

Stewart Mandel (@slmandel)
5/21/13, 12:27 PM
A conference-by-conference guide to the new bowl lineups in the works for 2014-19. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co.../projected-conference-bowl-lineups/index.html

Greg Auman (@gregauman)
5/21/13, 6:03 PM
Asked if American (AAC) will consider new bowl contracts outside its natural geography, even Hawaii, Aresco said league would do so.

Reaction Score

Don't - go sit in a warm bath and slit your wrist instead.

But there ain't a flipping thing we can do about it other than finish first or second in league.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Greg Auman (@gregauman)
5/21/13, 6:31 PM
Quick story on the American (AAC) exploring creating new bowl game in south Florida, with Marlins Park as an option.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/american-may-create-new-bowl-in-south-florida/2122259

I don't get it...Cities went away from multi-purpose-cookie-cutter-stadiums because the sight lines were not as good for one sport (typically baseball) than the other. The last one built in major sports wasn't even in the US for crying out loud. It was built in Canada.

What is the attraction with playing football in stadiums meant solely for baseball? It's assinine!

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don't get it...Cities went away from multi-purpose-cookie-cutter-stadiums because the sight lines were not as good for one sport (typically baseball) than the other. The last one built in major sports wasn't even in the US for crying out loud. It was built in Canada.

What is the attraction with playing football in stadiums meant solely for baseball? It's assinine!

I think you'd make an exception for a Miami bowl game. The Orange Bowl isn't really in Miami and it already has two bowl games. Beats Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa as FL venues.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Potentially, but Miami is probably a plane ride. I drove there with my buddy in 2000 and it was a painful 24 hours.

I also understand that most other pro venues already have bowl games, but it is certainly not my preference.

The Orange Bowl doesn't exist anymore, but it was old and not in the best part of town anyhow. Pro Joe Land Sun Player Robbie Shark Life Stadium is not near the water, but it is just north of Downtown and is still in Miami proper.

To further my point, SunLife is a s***ty place to watch baseball (I took in a saw a Marlins/Pirates game there on the aforementioned trip in 2000. Yes, I had my own beer vendor.), because the view is straight ahead. Think: Fenway Park. Most modern baseball-only stadiums angle the seats toward the infield, as such I can't imagine that watching football in a baseball stadium is any better because you'd presumably be angled toward the endzone.

Reaction Score
I just saw the Mets at Marlins Park a few weeks ago. I would love to see the Huskies there in a bowl game - if we aren't playing in one of the big bowls, of course.

Reaction Score
Blaud seems to have dropped this into an article he wrote the other day - it was not in the original article he wrote about the MBB tourney in Memphis. (http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6901)

"The American Conference also is working on a deal in football to create a bowl game, possibly against a Pac-12 team and perhaps in the state of Texas, which will become the western outpost for the American with Tulsa, Houston and SMU all part of what will eventually be a 12-team, two division football league. Pac 12 No. 7 vs. Big East No. 4 in the Cotton Bowl?"

Not sure what to make of it... in addition to Florida or in place of Florida? Would be nice though for a game in Dallas/Houston.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Any game that isn't against CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt team, or any MWC team that isn't the champion, I'd consider a small miracle. Double bonus points if they are held in a city I'd actually want to visit in late December.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You guys realize that UConn will be one of the last choices for a bowl bid for any of these bowls. The Southern Bowls will want southern teams because they know they would be lucky to get 2k UConn fans to take a plane to see UConn/MTSU in a bowl game. Any Florida bowl will want USF or UCF, and any Texas Bowl will want Houston, SMU or Tulsa. Only Temple will be a less attractive choice than UConn.

Reaction Score
There aren't many options for bowls in our neck of the woods to begin with. If the Pinstripe and Belk are out of the mix after the 2013 season, I guess the northernmost bowl for the AAC would be in Memphis?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
RT @gregaumann Commissioner Mike Aresco, detailing American's football programs: "Tulane had an outstanding football tradition before Katrina."

Holy .

Reaction Score
RT @gregaumann Commissioner Mike Aresco, detailing American's football programs: "Tulane had an outstanding football tradition before Katrina."

Holy .

Yeah... 1998!

gregauman 12:20pm via Web
Tulane football, since Katrina, is 23-73. Four of those wins came against I-AA Southeastern Louisiana. Also beat Mississippi St., Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom