Anyone else concerned about our Bowl Tie Ins? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else concerned about our Bowl Tie Ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've been saying all along that I think a 10-12 team playoff, with the top 2-4 teams getting a bye, is the sweet spot and would be very entertaining.

This works out great if the goal is to see all the conference champs get a seat at the table (which it probably is not), as there are 11 conferences plus the 4 Independents in FBS. The trade off for the Big Boys is: You either get 4 additional at-large bids, or a first round bye. You can't have both. Unfortunately, this plan means that ND pretty much secures their bid before the opening kickoff in September every single year. It's also too logical to work. What it also does it consume 11-15 bowl games and makes them infinitely more meaningful to the host city which presumably equals bigger crowds.

Secondly...Eligibility for the remaining bowls gets upped to about 8 wins and a 7 win team cannot be eligible unless there are no 8 win team left or they decline.

Reaction Score
Not especially, worried. Unless UConn wins the conference, it the same position in going to a generic, pre-NYD bowl, as 80 percent of the other bowl eligible teams. I've never kidded myself into thinking that The Pinstripe Bowl was prestigious. The game garners as much interest based on venue as the teams playing (probably moreso). People going into the City of 11 million that weekend are going regardless of an exhibition football game.

So unless we secure passage to Pasadena, New Orleans, Glendale, Miami or Dallas (in that order), it really just doesn't matter.
The Pinstripe Bowl is a joke.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Okay...Did I suggest it was anything more? Seriously, I'm confused. Or are you just agreeing? If so...yup...

Reaction Score
I think the entire bowl system will be dead within 10 years. It is already in free fall.
I'll put this prediction right next to the huge NBC TV contract predictions you had all last summer.

And why do you care? Aren't you advocating that Uconn drop football?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Joke or not it was a bowl game within a short distance that many could take the train or drive to. For people who can't afford long travel, hotel room, and ticket, it was a good bowl game to have access to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Joke or not it was a bowl game within a short distance that many could take the train or drive to. For people who can't afford long travel, hotel room, and ticket, it was a good bowl game to have access to.

Off the top of my head, bowl games the Pinstripe Bowl was better than for UConn fans. (Assuming the old B12 tie-in)

Fight Hunger Bowl in SF
Potato Bowl in Boise
Military Bowl in D.C.
Birmingham Bowl
Belk Bowl in NC
Houston Bowl
Insight Bowl in Tempe
Motor City Bowl
The defunct one in Toronto
The Bayou Classic
Holiday Bowl in San Diego
Hawaii Bowl

Add in all the bowls we wouldn't have invited to and the Pinstripe wasn't bad at all. Behind only the BCS, Liberty, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and any bowl in TX or Fla against a BCS league opponent.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
An expanded playoff would be nice, but its not happening for a very long time.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head, bowl games the Pinstripe Bowl was better than for UConn fans. (Assuming the old B12 tie-in)

Fight Hunger Bowl in SF
Potato Bowl in Boise
Military Bowl in D.C.
Birmingham Bowl
Belk Bowl in NC
Houston Bowl
Insight Bowl in Tempe
Motor City Bowl
The Bayou Classic
Hawaii Bowl

Add in all the bowls we wouldn't have invited to and the Pinstripe wasn't bad at all. Behind only the BCS, Liberty, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and any bowl in TX or Fla against a BCS league opponent.

I'd add either of the two bowl games in LA. The Autozone 500 whatever bowl and the GoDaddy bowl.....yuck

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
This is the last year of the Big 12 - Big East/AAC agreement.

After 2014 - all bets are off for a number of bowl affliliations.
Still hope for us to go to this bowl. Alright!

Husky25

Reaction Score

Fight Hunger Bowl in SF
Potato Bowl in Boise
Military Bowl in D.C.
Birmingham Bowl
Belk Bowl in NC
Houston Bowl
Insight Bowl in Tempe
Motor City Bowl
The Bayou Classic
Hawaii Bowl

Funny that UConn has been to four of those bowls.

I was talking about prestege, not what is better for UConn fans. As I said, unless the venue is in Pasadena, New Orleans, Glendale, Miami, or Dallas, these bowls are more or less the same...glorified exhibitions on which the schools lose money.

Reaction Score
From what appears to be a free article posted today on UCFSports.com:

>>Commissioner Mike Aresco says the American Athletic Conference is working to establish a new bowl game and he's hopeful they can retain tie-ins with the Russell Athletic and Pinstripe bowls.

Aresco made the comments to Tony Comas and Kyle Israel, hosts of "Comas and Kyle," during his Wednesday afternoon guest appearance on 810 CBS Sports Radio in Orlando.

College football bowl contracts expire at the end of the upcoming season and leagues have been working this spring to solidify lineups for 2014 and beyond. Reports have indicated the Russell Athletic Bowl, played locally at the Citrus Bowl, may be dropping The American in order to sign a deal with the Big 12. The Pinstripe Bowl has been rumored to feature an ACC/Big Ten matchup.

"At this point, bowls are a top priority of ours," Aresco said. "We were visiting with the Russell Athletic Bowl yesterday. We really want to keep the Russell Athletic. It's a good bowl for us with UCF right here. We'd like to keep the Pinstripe Bowl in New York City. I think we have a good shot. Some may have heard the ACC has a good chance or other conferences, but we're putting our best foot forward. We're showing bowls what we can do with arrangements that make sense for those bowls."

While Aresco said they have a chance with the Russell Athletic and Pinstripe, he admitted the odds were against them in retaining the Belk Bowl in Charlotte. The SEC is likely moving in because they're losing their tie-in to the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, which has become one of the new access bowls. "The Belk Bowl will be more difficult," Aresco said. "But we haven't given up. That's a great group of people there, but that one is dicier."

Aresco said they're looking to solidify anywhere from six to eight future bowl tie-ins. He said they "intend to keep" the Liberty Bowl (Memphis) and Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl (St. Petersburg) and would be meeting with ESPN about opportunities in their bowls.

Later in the interview, he dropped the nugget about creating an entirely new bowl game. "We're looking to establish our own bowl game in a way that makes sense," Aresco said. "I think we can get a good opponent. We're looking to do innovative things with our group."<<

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Bowls give us another practice season, I know that we can always use it... more work in with the guys, more results in the long run. As long as they have bowls I want us in them... even what everyone is calling the second tier.

Reaction Score
gregauman 1:50pm via Web
Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl in St. Petersburg has kickoff Dec. 23 at 2 p.m. at Tropicana Field, televised on ESPN. Teams from American vs. C-USA.

BBVA Compass Bowl
The eighth annual BBVA Compass Bowl will be played Saturday, Jan. 4, at 1 p.m. on ESPN. The game is played at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala., and will pit a team from the American Athletic Conference (formerly the BIG EAST) against a team from the Southeastern Conference.

Reaction Score
BBVA Compass is January 4th at 1pm.

BCS bowl or Birmingham I guess. No interest in playing a CUSA team, especially considering we have all the good CUSA schools anyway.

Reaction Score
desmondconner 3:27pm via HootSuite
#TheAmerican champ would play in #Fiesta, #Cotton or #Chick-Fil-A if it doesn't make 4-team playoff. Must be ranked higher than C-USA & Co.

Would hope it's Cotton/Chick-Fil-A and not the Fiesta travel debacle again.
Chik-Fil-A Bowl works for me. My brother lives in an Atlanta suburb so I have a place to stay and eat! All I'd need are the plane and game tix. Might even fly to Knoxville or Nashville and visit some of my old UT buddies first and then drive down to Atlanta for the game.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that just got smacked with the harsh reality that we could win our conference and possibly be undefeated and still end up in the Chik-fil-a Bowl?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that just got smacked with the harsh reality that we could win our conference and possibly be undefeated and still end up in the Chik-fil-a Bowl?

?No different than old Big East... Cincy went undefeated and ended up in Sugar Bowl?

The Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl will actually be one of the six bowls that matter from payout/media noise standpoint.

Reaction Score
Guess I'm confused. I didn't realize Chik fil a was a big bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom