Anyone else concerned about our Bowl Tie Ins? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anyone else concerned about our Bowl Tie Ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
AP Top 25 (@AP_Top25)
6/2/13, 12:05 PM
AP source: Big Ten coming to Yankee Stadium, replacing Big 12 in Pinstripe Bowl apne.ws/13wHsrh (@ralphDrussoAP)

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268750/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=LtOhYp5l

The American still has a weak pulse...
A weak pulse, but still in very critical condition at least as far as the Pinstripe is concerned. This is where losing Rutgers (to the B1G) and Pitt / Cuse (to the ACC) hurts UConn specifically.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 2:25pm via TweetDeck
W/8-year Pinstripe Bowl deal, B1G will have signage in Yankee Stadium for all NYY reg season games starting in 2014

Bets that it sez: B1G - New York's College Sports Conference?

Be awkward with competing sign that sez: Syracuse - New York's College Sport Team.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yeah we're screwed Bowl-wise for the Northern schools. Any bowl game we land in the AAC will be in the South. Majority of AAC schools are in south and not too many Northern Bowls available. It just sucks that we won't ever be in this game. Would have been nice to go to a game that is easy to travel to. I guess we still have this year right?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Lololol at this point. Aresco is so far in over his head he can't even see the surface of the water.

Reaction Score
Lololol at this point. Aresco is so far in over his head he can't even see the surface of the water.

Looks like he has four snorkeling buddies with him though in the search for mermaids.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Looks like he has four snorkeling buddies with him though in the search for mermaids.

The worst part is probably that this outcome was entirely predictable.

I can almost live with the international destination idea- a friend works for the Qatari government, they will throw insane amounts of money at anything. Anything. Remove ANY ticket guarantee and its fine.

This also marks the first, and last, time in recorded human history in which Dubai, Qatar, Dublin, Ireland and Little Rock, Arkansas were all included in the same sentence.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, was Perth, Australia already booked?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The list of international cities begins with Little Rock Arkansas in my eyes.

Reaction Score
I cannot believe I'm reading about Dubai, Dublin, and Nassau as possible bowl destinations for the "Little Five".

Did McMurphy have a beef with USF or something? He seems to have been hell bent to destroy this conference for months now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Another article that I found difficult to read due my head shaking back and forth.

Sigh.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

UConn being totally f---ed makes me laugh too. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Reaction Score

Anyone who thinks the conference problems are due to Aresco is an idiot. If UConn, Cinci, USF, UCF, Houston...drew 60k+ fans per game, bowls would be no problem. I'm sick of people blaming others for UConn's problems. If we draw 35k for a home football game, is that Aresco's fault? Is it Aresco's fault that we hired PP? Is it Aresco's fault that Louisville was chosen for the ACC or Rutgers for the Big Ten? Without Aresco and the AAC, UConn was looking at the MAC. What could anyone have done with the collection of teams in the AAC? Heck, the old BE had a hard time getting bowls, so why didn't we expect it to be worse in the AAC?

End of the day, conference affiliation is up to us, the alums, the fans, the students. Stop whining and do something about it.

Reaction Score
All please sit tight. Does anyone believe the market or TV viewership will be interested in a 6 and 6 Big Ten team or SEC team playing each other. Will a 6 and 6 ACC team which would be totally laughable playing in a bowl game be of any importance. The best news I heard today was the the supposedly weaker conferences were going to look into other options for bowls amongst themselves. The non elite bowls are in trouble and will only be relevant if they pare with the strongest from the non 5 conferences. We will only subsidize their bowls if we participate and make them relevant. After the 2015 bowl season all will realize what we have all learned in Business 101 when we have reach market saturation there is a point where you start reaching diminishing returns.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be worried about the quality of our bowls until we get out of this joke of a conference.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be worried about the quality of our bowls until we get out of this joke of a conference.

No worry - I had a bunch of fun in Detroit, Charlotte , Toronto, Birmingham, and Glendale. They are what they are, an excuse for a road trip to watch college football. I lose no sleep over this just sharing what I read.

Reaction Score
No worry - I had a bunch of fun in Detroit, Charlotte , Toronto, Birmingham, and Glendale. They are what they are, an excuse for a road trip to watch college football. I lose no sleep over this just sharing what I read.
That's cool. Just put it in some kind of perspective. My brother went to Georgia Tech and my nephew went to Auburn. They laugh at me when I talk to them about the bowls UConn has gone to.

Reaction Score
http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2013/06/qa-with-american-athletic-conference-commissioner-mike-aresco/

What’s the latest on the conference’s bowl agreements? Any chance for the American to play a bowl in Texas?

A: We’re definitely in the mix for one of the bowls in Dallas/Fort Worth. We’re looking at the Liberty Bowl, which has the Big 12 on one side. I think we’ll be playing the Big 12 in a couple of our bowls. We’re looking at renewing our games in Birmingham, Ala. (BBVA Compass Bowl), St. Petersburg, Fla. (Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl) and possibly having our teams go to Hawaii a few times. We’re also looking at some other bowls. And we’re definitely serious about starting our own bowl and have looked at the South Florida market. We’ll have a wide range of good opponents and good locations. I think we’ll be playing the Southeastern Conference, the Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and we’re looking at games possibly involving a Pac-12 team and some of the other conferences like C-USA and possibly Mountain West. Remember we have very good chance to be playing on New Year’s Day or New Year’s Eve with our champion in one of the playoff system bowls. We hope obviously that we will be competing for one of four playoff spots, but even if we don’t make that if we are the highest ranked conference of the so-called group of five – C-USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Mid-American – we would play in a New Year’s Day bowl against a high-profile opponent. We think we have a real chance to do that most years.

Proof will be in the pudding (bowl).

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 8:29am via TweetDeck
American & ACC agree to 6-year deal w/Military Bowl starting in 2014, sources told @espn. Bowl will be at Navy

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tic-conference-acc-play-military-bowl-sources

"From 2014-19, the Military Bowl is expected to share the American's third through sixth picks and the ACC's seventh through 10th selections, sources said."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annapolis is a great place and fairly easy to get to but not so much of a travel destination @ end of December ;)

Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium seats 35k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom