Anyone catch Pendergast's act at the game? | The Boneyard

Anyone catch Pendergast's act at the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They introduce ADPP during a timeout so he can take a bow. Fine. Then the Emily the sideline reporter goes in to ask him a few questions. He literally rips the microphone out of her hand and starts bloviating empty platitudes ad nauseum. The crowd was underwhelmed. Gawd what a phony. How is that nationwide search coming along?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They introduce ADPP during a timeout so he can take a bow. Fine. Then the Emily the sideline reporter goes in to ask him a few questions. He literally rips the microphone out of her hand and starts bloviating empty platitudes ad nauseum. The crowd was underwhelmed. Gawd what a phony. How is that nationwide search coming along?
I literally can't believe that you watched the same thing that I did and came away with the that impression. Your efforts to be negative towards this man sure are unmatched.

Reaction Score
One thing that UConn is looking for in an AD is someone very dynamic who can market and promote. These apparently were qualities Hathaway was lacking in.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The sideline reporter has quickly become a joke among students. Do we really need her talking about this and that at every TV timeout? I get that they're trying to keep the fans engaged through the 2 or 3 minute commercial break but at some point it's too much. If they wanted to give ADPP an opportunity to speak they would have been better off announcing it over the PA system.

Reaction Score
I hate Emily Noonan, sorry, but I do. I wish he ripped the mic from her and never gave it back.

They're shoving Emily Noonan down my throat, and I don't like it.

Just because she's attractive doesn't mean I want to listen to her ask people stupid questions 10x a game.

Reaction Score
It is like the guy who took the field b4 games a year or two and did the blue-white chant. A short lived experiment

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hated that but it was a damned sight better than what we have now. Beyond being completely lame, they are clueless asn to what is going on with the game and come across as rank amateurs.

What we really need is a few people to become a younger generation's version of Big Red and hopefully develop some chant or cheer that originates from the stands, encompasses the stadium and becomes a regular (eventually traditional) thing at specific times during the games.

Reaction Score
8 posts in and no one has commented on how much better Emily Noonan looked wearing that pink scarf, as opposed to her usual?

You guys are slippin'.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
didn't jeff just get a job in prov with marinate??? give it a rest man...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
that guy happened to be the cheerleaders coach who if I'm not mistaken here was accused of a sexual crime, not to mention the fact that the "cheerleaders" were disbanded for the spirit squad or else he would probably still be doing it and we would still be sounding it out badly

http://www.dailycampus.com/2.7440/former-coach-charged-with-sexual-assault-1.1050103

Someone mentioned that earlier in a similar thread and said that this wasn't the same guy.

Me? I have no clue unless I see a picture as I remember what the guy looked like.

In any event, I think it was a good thing and that it got people pumped up and had the start of a tradition. Too bad.

Reaction Score
What we really need is a few people to become a younger generation's version of Big Red and hopefully develop some chant or cheer that originates from the stands, encompasses the stadium and becomes a regular (eventually traditional) thing at specific times during the games.

I suggested something to the cheerleaders. I made them 4 sets of letters - "U" and "CONN". Get one half of the stadium to cheer "U" ... and the other half to answer with "CONN". They have all the letters and can promp the fans at any time the oppositiob has the ball - similar to WVU with their "LETS GO" - "MOUNTAINEERS".

Reaction Score
I will give them props, that at least we're trying something. This being said, not a huge fan of the interviews, or the DJ (I mean really, a friggin DJ at a college football game). I'd rather hear our band getting something going, or the dude w/ the mike doing his bit during TV timeouts, etc...

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but Paul Pendergast happens to be a very gracious person who I think is an asset to the program even if he doesn't officially get the job. He has already done a great deal for UCONN. I wish him well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're so far off base here. He's a world class individual and he freaking bleeds UConn.

Think, then post.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I will give them props, that at least we're trying something. This being said, not a huge fan of the interviews, or the DJ (I mean really, a friggin DJ at a college football game). I'd rather hear our band getting something going, or the dude w/ the mike doing his bit during TV timeouts, etc...

DJ Joey Franchize needs to work on his timing a little bit, but I won't fault UConn for trying something new.

Two other points:

1) Welcome to the Jungle has become synonymous with 3rd down at The Rent. They seem to be very inconsistent with it's use (only about 80% of the time) and the volume over the PA. People react when it comes on and I think this needs to kept up to get the crowd pumped for 3rd down.

2) The timing of "Sandstorm" in between the 3rd and 4th quarter is awful. Was pretty cool at the end of last season when it was first used, but they start it like 15 seconds before the quarter starts now and it gets cut off. People like it and everyone around me always has this "uh, wtf look" when it comes on when the play clock is running at the players are on the field.

Reaction Score
Here's a vote for Emily Noonan and the D.J. I think she does a good job and it's nice to have something different going on during the down time. She seems more at ease and polished every game. The D.J. is new, fresh and entertaining. Maybe this is a generational or a cultural thing. I think it's important to spread appeal to a youthful audience. I hated the blue-white cheer. It reminded me of the forced laughter of tv shows. It was soundly ridiculed in my area. I'm really happy with ADPP and the Prez. I think they need a front end loader to carry their balls around. Biggest set since Big Loo.

U

UConn9604

Someone mentioned that earlier in a similar thread and said that this wasn't the same guy.

Me? I have no clue unless I see a picture as I remember what the guy looked like.

In any event, I think it was a good thing and that it got people pumped up and had the start of a tradition. Too bad.

The BLUE, WHITE guy was not the same coach who was arrested.

For the record, the BLUE, WHITE guy is one of the most pro-UConn alums you'll ever meet and a very good person, to boot.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The D.J. is new, fresh and entertaining. Maybe this is a generational or a cultural thing.

All my friends and every other student I've talked to has said the D.J. is pretty much a joke so maybe it is a pretty split opinion.

Reaction Score
Emily is painful. I think anyone who has the chance to get the mike from her should just grab it and run. Can she at least wear a UConn shirt/jersey/sweatshirt?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Here's a vote for Emily Noonan and the D.J. I think she does a good job and it's nice to have something different going on during the down time. She seems more at ease and polished every game. The D.J. is new, fresh and entertaining. Maybe this is a generational or a cultural thing. I think it's important to spread appeal to a youthful audience. I hated the blue-white cheer. It reminded me of the forced laughter of tv shows. It was soundly ridiculed in my area. I'm really happy with ADPP and the Prez. I think they need a front end loader to carry their balls around. Biggest set since Big Loo.
There are some things that cannot be manufactured, fan traditions are among them. I view forcing some staged event to try to make it seem like we have more of a traditional cheering section than we really have as being somewhat akin to landing a mail order bride.

Reaction Score
The blue white cheer might work if more fans were in there seats at pregame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom