Any updates on Jalen? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any updates on Jalen?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You think the selection committee will take into account Gilbert & Jalen missed significant time this season?

Does the NIT committee even do that?

Reaction Score
You think the selection committee will take into account Gilbert & Jalen missed significant time this season?

Unfortunately, we lost games & had a couple brutal performances with them playing...

Reaction Score
Stop being so dramatic. It's not like we're tanking
I bought tickets for this year's team. I watch every minute of every game and cheer just as hard for walk ons as I do starters. Would be nice to know what is going on with Diarra as he did play a little this year and just stopped. I get Hurley is not impressed with Whaley and to a lesser degree CV. As far as Kwintin - whatever happened with him is personal and we have no right to know. Been around this program a very long time, usually with an injury the fans have an idea of what's happening with a player- that hasn't happened much this year from AG to Jalen to Diarra.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
- whatever happened with him is personal and we have no right to know. Been around this program a very long time, usually with an injury the fans have an idea of what's happening with a player- that hasn't happened much this year from AG to Jalen to Diarra.

I think part of the problem is that these injuries are all just, "wait and see until the guy feels good" type of things. Hurley went with "day to day" a while back, and that caused problems. So he's probably being conservative by not saying much.

C

Chief00

I bought tickets for this year's team. I watch every minute of every game and cheer just as hard for walk ons as I do starters. Would be nice to know what is going on with Diarra as he did play a little this year and just stopped. I get Hurley is not impressed with Whaley and to a lesser degree CV. As far as Kwintin - whatever happened with him is personal and we have no right to know. Been around this program a very long time, usually with an injury the fans have an idea of what's happening with a player- that hasn't happened much this year from AG to Jalen to Diarra.
Quite frankly, Chief did tell you from Day 1 that priority #1 was going to be recruiting for next season. We lost a scholarship due to what happened under KO. We also have a roster containing several players who would not have the talent level to play on Jim Calhoun era teams. So given our talent needs and limited open scholarships, Chief thinks it’s fair to everyone to send these players honest and direct messages. If some choose to transfer for reasons in their best interest, it may create an opportunity to bring in talent earlier.

Please keep in mind a player’s health issues are also considered private. So if someone had a degenerative knee condition the school could not necessarily publicize that. Agree, other temporary injuries are a cloudy area. Where limited non specific information does slip out but often times it’s unofficial or inaccurate.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I realize it's not a car wash, but last night I had a sauna conversation with someone claiming direct experience working with this year's team. He said not to expect much (if anything) from Jalen, and that Hurley knows what he's doing and isn't afraid of player or fan judgment. His prior comments about Gilbert's injury and timeline for return proved accurate enough for me not to have freaked out so much when that was the flavor of the day a couple weeks ago.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We also have a roster containing several players who would not have the talent level to play on Jim Calhoun era teams.

Chief and others need to realize that the Jim Calhoun era is never returning, and lower their expectations accordingly.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Chief and others need to realize that the Jim Calhoun era is never returning, and lower their expectations accordingly.
It certainly isn't, but if Houston can have a 2 loss season in the AAC or Cinci a 4 loss season, there's no reason we can't be at the top of the AAC and perennial NCAA contenders under Hurley for a sustained period of time. But we aren't coming close to a run of 4 titles in 20 years again.

Reaction Score

There was never going to be a Jim Calhoun era when I was watching the Huskies play UMass, URI, UNH, UM twice a year either. Because he reached such crazy results you have a chance to be correct and odds favor you. But smaller portions, maybe even inconsistent runs aren't out of the question.

Reaction Score
SID Phil Chardis was on the MBB Coach's Show yesterday and said Jalen is unlikely to play tomorrow.

my heart goes out to Jalen if he can't suit up one last time at home. the kid went to battle for this program during some tough times. hopefully we can watch him play come conf tourney time at the very least. wish nothing but the best for him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
SID Phil Chardis was on the MBB Coach's Show yesterday and said Jalen is unlikely to play tomorrow.
Ugh. Would have been a good opportunity to get his footing for the conference tournament. This sucks beyond the fact he can't play the last home game of his career. Hard to throw him directly into the fire of the AAC tournament and have any hope of UConn magic happening.

Reaction Score
Is it too much of me to ask Jalen to pull a Willis Reed in the championship game of the AAC tournament?

1-29.jpg

Reaction Score
Let's not make this out as a tragedy. He isn't dead, he's hurt (or injured). He will be fine.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Ugh. Would have been a good opportunity to get his footing for the conference tournament. This sucks beyond the fact he can't play the last home game of his career. Hard to throw him directly into the fire of the AAC tournament and have any hope of UConn magic happening.
Wouldn't SMU in the conference tournament be a pretty good warm up game?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It certainly isn't, but if Houston can have a 2 loss season in the AAC or Cinci a 4 loss season, there's no reason we can't be at the top of the AAC and perennial NCAA contenders under Hurley for a sustained period of time. But we aren't coming close to a run of 4 titles in 20 years again.

That’s reasonable, and I expect Hurley will get us there. My concern is that too few people would be content with that.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Wouldn't SMU in the conference tournament be a pretty good warm up game?
We just got our doors blown by them without Jalen. Then if we do beat them, we have to possibly play Houston less than 24 hours later. Hard to expect Jalen to give us 25 a game off the bat in the AAC tourney.
And I believe it will take Jalen getting 25 a game for us to get multiple wins in the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score
my heart goes out to Jalen if he can't suit up one last time at home. the kid went to battle for this program during some tough times. hopefully we can watch him play come conf tourney time at the very least. wish nothing but the best for him.
Well put. I'd be hard pressed to think of a bigger Husky enigma than Jalen. For reasons that are mostly beyond his control, he has become the poster child of these down years (outside of KO).

I get the sense that a lot of people are more frustrated that he hasn't turned out to be the next great lottery pick than they are with Jalen himself. No crime in not having the killer instinct of a Shabazz, Kemba etc. He'll still make plenty of money playing ball, just not in the NBA.

Don't get me wrong, his inconsistency and disappearing acts are maddening. But our play since his injury has helped me re-appreciate his talents. The man bleeds blue, I can only hope he sees the court in a Husky uniform again. He deserves it.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Let's not make this out as a tragedy. He isn't dead, he's hurt (or injured). He will be fine.
What? I think we are all well aware he will be fine. I don't think anyone here is saying this injury could jeopardize his career.
The timing is the tragedy. The fact he is a senior, we are a better team with him and have a better shot in the AAC tournament with him is the tragedy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom