Any ideas on how to reduce turnovers? | The Boneyard

Any ideas on how to reduce turnovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love the win, however it seemed that we kept Cincy (and past teams) in the game by handing them the ball too often. I'm stumped, but lazy passes, dribbling in traffic and other unforced turnovers are driving me crazy.

Perhaps our frantic paced defense doesn't have an off switch when we transition to offense.

Nonetheless if we reduce our turnovers we are certainly one of the top teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Hamilton in particular. It's one thing to make a mistake but today at least he didn't seem to learn from it. 2-3 marshmallow passes that were easy turnovers. I probably have no concept of the speed at which things are happening out there but damn, there seemed to be a lot plays today that I can't describe any other way but as being lazy.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If they press like that keep boat, Sam, omar/purvis, and facey/hamilton, Brimah. Also better inbounds plays

Reaction Score
Love the win, however it seemed that we kept Cincy (and past teams) in the game by handing them the ball too often. I'm stumped, but lazy passes, dribbling in traffic and other unforced turnovers are driving me crazy.

Perhaps our frantic paced defense doesn't have an off switch when we transition to offense.

Nonetheless if we reduce our turnovers we are certainly one of the top teams in the country.
The problem is our 2 and 3 (purvis and Hamilton) are not good ball handlers. Ollie put in TSam to help with pressure, but he plays out of control at times. I don't really see any quick fixes to this. We are lacking a second quality ball handler.

Hamilton will be fine. He has to adjust to league play, but he will get better. With that said if we are relying on him to break a full court press we are in trouble. He really struggled in the West Virginia game as well.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

We could save two per game by players realizing Glen Miller is not in the game.

Reaction Score
simple, dribble less, keep the ball moving with more passes

Reaction Score
Practice inbounding against the press until we can get it right without having to think about it.
Immediately to the bench after a stupid turnover. JC used to do this, but it is hard to this without them playing scared.
Still we won today. I'm sure KO know better than I how to polish this rough diamond.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The problem is our 2 and 3 (purvis and Hamilton) are not good ball handlers. Ollie put in TSam to help with pressure, but he plays out of control at times. I don't really see any quick fixes to this. We are lacking a second quality ball handler.

Tsam handled the ball a ton today and only had one turnover. I don't buy in to him playing out of control anymore, especially as it pertains to ball handling.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Convince Hamilton that he's not a freshman. Turnovers happen, but that kid is a Pez-dispenser at times. Five turnovers today, the yips at the line...ugh.

He made the two that mattered. I guess you'd like him to split 2 with 10 secs left to push it to 7, but if we found a way to give up six in the last 10 seconds there would be a lot of broken TVs out there.

There are certain things he's gotten better at, but he seems to be reluctant to just pick up his dribble and find a relief valve. Sometimes you have to abort the attacking mission and just get the offense set. First TO was a bit unlucky that the defender wasn't even looking - then he got one in the second half because he was hesitant to give the ball to Boat when he was open and took it up himself. He's been so good in open floor against broken down defenses that you want him to attack until there's no more room, but he has to figure out where that point is one dribble sooner and learn to just be solid.

Always said with freshmen you want to see flashes of how good they can be and then the consistency will come. He's been inconsistent lately, but even today he had flashes. The running bank shot to give is the lead was a nice poised play - made good reads on the lobs, although the second didn't connect.

Reaction Score
Tsam handled the ball a ton today and only had one turnover. I don't buy in to him playing out of control anymore, especially as it pertains to ball handling.

He's definitely getting better. I still don't feel 100% comfortable when he has the ball he will make the right decision.

Reaction Score
Peacefrog said:
Yeah, Hamilton in particular. It's one thing to make a mistake but today at least he didn't seem to learn from it. 2-3 marshmallow passes that were easy turnovers. I probably have no concept of the speed at which things are happening out there but damn, there seemed to be a lot plays today that I can't describe any other way but as being lazy.

One of the marshmallow passes was a miscommunication. Patrick went off on a "lazy pass" shtick but that wasn't it at all. Hamilton thought Boat was going to head up court on the break and Boat stopped and came back to get the ball. So the pass that was supposed to lead Boat on the break ended up just going to empty floor.

The one to start the game I kind of felt was bad luck with a blind arm in the passing lane, but it led to a layup so it can't happen.

Reaction Score
We tell Hamilton were gonna cut an inch of his hair each time he drives into double teams at the top of the key

Freakin hilarious post. Also, not put DHam into that position so much to try to break the press. But I guess Ollie is trying to get him experience.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is an excellent ball handler. It's bizarre to me that guys are saying he's not. Is he Shabazz? No. But he's not a point guard. For a guy his height his handle is very tight and very good. His issue is decision making. Big difference.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is an excellent ball handler. It's bizarre to me that guys are saying he's not. Is he Shabazz? No. But he's not a point guard. For a guy his height his handle is very tight and very good. His issue is decision making. Big difference.

Wow, You sure your watching DH. He has at best an average handle. He turns the ball over way to much. He is a freshman and that is what you get with him. Feast or famine. He will get better with time but in the mean time what you see is what you get.

Reaction Score

Cheeky do you wear glasses?

Reaction Score
let this hamilton person, btw the highest rated recruit olywould has bought in storr to date; to practice dribbling on the interstates from Conn. to Calif and all roads in between and when he arrives home in LA his family tackles him and enrolls him at ucla to join brother iham and only then he will be cured of f itis

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I agree, although his dribble is a little high he's not a terrible ball handler, especially considering his size/position. The concern with Hamilton is his decision making; primarily when he is passing the ball. Purvis on the other hand has poor ball handle for a guard. He has become essentially a spot up shooter for us.

Reaction Score
I dont think that Hamilton is a poor ball handler considering he is a 6 ft 8 in wing. He is no Caron, but he handles the ball better than Stanley and DeAndre and on par with Rashad or Freshman year Denham. The problem is that he thinks he is a much better ball handler than he is and puts himself into really difficult situations too often against pressure. That is just maturity. We are only 3 games into the conference schedule. Come March those types of mistakes will be far less frequent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His handle is good - he just tries to do too much with it sometimes. He's an aggressive freshman - which means some mistakes. If he came in and just played passively and only attacked when there was a wide driving lane, we'd like his handle a lot more.

Reaction Score
DHam has too much confidence in his handle with the way he tries to bust through double teams, but too say he has a bad handle, especially for his position, is simply very wrong. I wish he would be a little more tentative, and that he would be stronger securing the ball on drives to the hoop. These are things that will come with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom