Any ideas on how to reduce turnovers? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any ideas on how to reduce turnovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed how hard Samuel dribbles the ball? You can hear the thing pounding like it's being sent down by Thor.

I totally agree & have been waiting for someone else to point this out. T.Sam is a major pounder with the ball! Love, Love, Love his defense. No complaints there. He's got an ok handle, but during pressure he speeds up & tries break pressure by bulldozing through it & often turns it over (ok, not always, but often enough). Kemba, Shabazz & Ryan handle pressure with ease. T.Sam needs to not learn to rush the ball, but read the defense. Once he can do that, he'll be a more competent ball handler. And a reliable outside shot wouldn't help! ;)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
So many of our young guys get so frenetic, so rushed that they go too fast. dham reminds me of a young Boat in the sense that both need(ed) to learn to slow down and not be on "hyperdrive" all the time when they have the ball. Same with tsam, sometimes with Purvis, and sometimes with Brimah.

Reaction Score
T Sam did a great job taking the pressure and getting the ball over half court. But that's all he's got. Useless on offense. Omar and Purvis are not nearly as reliable as TSam to handle the pressure breaking the press, but are better on O.

To go far UConn has to develop and relay on DHam. He can break the press and just needs to watch tape and get experience to make better ball handling decisions - and I think this can be done over the next couple months. But believe me if we are to go far we do not need TSam to have minutes only to break the press. I would rather coach up DHam to provide this outlet.

Omar was awesome today and can shoot, but his wtf moments are crushing. So are RP's. I do not think these are correctable coaching events. that's why i say go with DHam.

So with 5 minute or less in crunch time we need Boat, DHam, Omar or RP, Brimah, and Facey.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So many of our young guys get so frenetic, so rushed that they go too fast. dham reminds me of a young Boat in the sense that both need(ed) to learn to slow down and not be on "hyperdrive" all the time when they have the ball. Same with tsam, sometimes with Purvis, and sometimes with Brimah.

Learning how to play fast at the next level is a learned skill that is very difficult.

In HS almost all these kids were the fastest and most athletic. In college they're playing guys who are just as fast and athletic but also stronger and more experienced. They youngin's need to learn how to vary their speed and learn the difference between speed and acceleration.

Reaction Score
Learning how to play fast at the next level is a learned skill that is very difficult.

In HS almost all these kids were the fastest and most athletic. In college they're playing guys who are just as fast and athletic but also stronger and more experienced. They youngin's need to learn how to vary their speed and learn the difference between speed and acceleration.

Good point. Its hard to remember because he finished on such an unbelievable high note, but Kemba was one of the most frustrating players to watch during his first 2 years. Once he learned how to slow down, he became a monster. Boat and Bazz both had this issue as well.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think we need to utilize Omar more. DHam can learn w/o always being thrown in the fire.
I also thought it was obvious today that when we are pressed hard, TSam helped Boat brake the press much more than RP, SC Jr., or DHam.

Reaction Score
yeah, right, baby em, coddle em, BeNCH Him

real playa like el amin ala el amein play from daze uno

yo dudes just make excuses for recroot job by olywould inc.

Reaction Score
That 1st pass by DHam to an open Cincy player was a head scratcher, wow!

Anyway one of Fishy's finest lol - a fn "pez dispenser" hilarious

Reaction Score
I agree that he is over confident with his dribble because he played point guard for Bosco against top high school teams when Dorsey didn't.
He didn't turn it over and got to the rim at will. College hands are proving faster.

I also agree the turnovers are decision making rather than skill.

Lastly, in previous games I noted that his turnovers happened a lot when he left his feet to pass, even when he didn't need to jump.

If he pauses before a pass, (think an out of bounds play), just start running back on defense. Indecisive success is a long shot.

On the other hand, why can't the other guards throw lobs to Brimah regularly?

Reaction Score
Wow, You sure your watching DH. He has at best an average handle. He turns the ball over way to much.
You're confusing "turns the ball over" with "average handle."
Unless we aren't using the same definition of "handle."
To me, "handle" is dribbling ability. Not passing, not catching - just dribbling.
His dribble is well above average for his position and size - he almost never loses control of the dribble.
What he does do is drive into traffic, and the ball gets stripped/knocked around. Or he makes crummy passes. But those are not indicative of a weak handle - they are indicative of bad decision making.

Put it to you this way - R. Anderson had a weak handle - nowhere near as tight as DH. But he didn't have a lot of turnovers. Difference.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Hamilton is an excellent ball handler. It's bizarre to me that guys are saying he's not. Is he Shabazz? No. But he's not a point guard. For a guy his height his handle is very tight and very good. His issue is decision making. Big difference.
I agree, but what he has to do is pick the right person to take off the dribble. When he drives against guards he has problems taking forwards off the dribble he does very well

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You're confusing "turns the ball over" with "average handle."
Unless we aren't using the same definition of "handle."
To me, "handle" is dribbling ability. Not passing, not catching - just dribbling.
His dribble is well above average for his position and size - he almost never loses control of the dribble.
What he does do is drive into traffic, and the ball gets stripped/knocked around. Or he makes crummy passes. But those are not indicative of a weak handle - they are indicative of bad decision making.

Put it to you this way - R. Anderson had a weak handle - nowhere near as tight as DH. But he didn't have a lot of turnovers. Difference.

Well said. Or looking to another example: Samuel. I like TSam--he's playing much better after a downright horrific start to this season--but while he's a steadying force, he doesn't really create anything on offense. Hamilton is a creator. He gets too aggressive, but his playmaking skills are already much better than Samuel's.

DHam = 45 assists in 428 minutes
TSam = 22 assists in 299 minutes

(Their A:TO numbers are both almost exactly 1:1.)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
DHam is great but I don't know how people can say anyone who dribbles that high and that far from his body has great handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom