Antonelli takes down JPM | The Boneyard

Antonelli takes down JPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Biotching article! Antonelli sounds like she's personally offended and I suspect she is just that. 'Course, there's no evidence of anything but disappearing coaches, players, and wins, so...:rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yep petty brutal. I'm glad UCONN chose not to make Stevens available for comments, as did the other schools where former Duke players transferred to. I suspect that if they find some wrongdoing on McCallie's part, she will be gone, but time will tell...

Reaction Score
Yep petty brutal. I'm glad UCONN chose not to make Stevens available for comments, as did the other schools where former Duke players transferred to. I suspect that if they find some wrongdoing on McCallie's part, she will be gone, but time will tell...

But really wonder what Azura told Coach Geno about what it was like inside the Duke program.

On another note, who was it Britney Hunter played for at Duke before coming to Connecticut? Same JPM? Recall stories about lack of care with her knee issues there.

Reaction Score
But really wonder what Azura told Coach Geno about what it was like inside the Duke program.

On another note, who was it Britney Hunter played for at Duke before coming to Connecticut? Same JPM? Recall stories about lack of care with her knee issues there.

No, GG.
Accusations were made in both directions on the knee issue.

Reaction Score
A poorly written article that serves its purpose of taking JPM down a notch or two.

“What Joanne does offensively and defensively is very predictable,” said Antonelli, who has worked many Duke games over the years. “There is no element of surprise. On defense, they might start the game with two possessions of man, but they are primarily that match-up zone, which is something that she has always played. … Everybody knows the weak area in it is in that high post area, and if you can expose that, you can beat it.

The emboldened sentence will be difficult for the average reader.

“And then from an offensive standpoint, I don’t think there are really any surprises there. Azurá Stevens was certainly an exceptional, gifted, incredible talent. At 6-foot-6, to be able to do what she could do with the ball in her hands inside and out was unusual in the women’s game. We don’t have many players that are that big that have the face-up game that she has. But I still think there were times when Azurá was able to float out to the perimeter when, at 6-foot-6, no one could guard her on the block.”

After the first sentence, the writer does not elaborate what is wrong with Duke's offense. Azura Stevens part of the paragraph belongs somewhere else.

“You can look at a trend of, okay we keep getting these top classes, we keep running the same stuff, eventually, people are going to beat you,” Antonelli said, “Even though you have the No. 1 talent, and you should be able to win those games.

Awful.

“Joanne has continued to draw top classes, and yet they have not been able to win at the highest level,” Antonelli said. “I assume that’s something that Duke wants to do, because they have done it historically.”

Historically? GG had a purple patch. I know very little about Duchal history otherwise.

When the Blue Devils lost 83-52 at Connecticut on Dec. 29, 2014, with two players flanking her at the dais, McCallie described the Blue Devils’ performance as a “pathetic display.”

The writer missed an opportunity to inform the readers that Duke stopped playing UCONN huskies after this (or one similar) drubbing. He also failed to mention the multiple drubbings Duke took from UCONN in spite of great recruiting.

Reaction Score
A poorly written article that serves its purpose of taking JPM down a notch or two.

“What Joanne does offensively and defensively is very predictable,” said Antonelli, who has worked many Duke games over the years. “There is no element of surprise. On defense, they might start the game with two possessions of man, but they are primarily that match-up zone, which is something that she has always played. … Everybody knows the weak area in it is in that high post area, and if you can expose that, you can beat it.

The emboldened sentence will be difficult for the average reader.

“And then from an offensive standpoint, I don’t think there are really any surprises there. Azurá Stevens was certainly an exceptional, gifted, incredible talent. At 6-foot-6, to be able to do what she could do with the ball in her hands inside and out was unusual in the women’s game. We don’t have many players that are that big that have the face-up game that she has. But I still think there were times when Azurá was able to float out to the perimeter when, at 6-foot-6, no one could guard her on the block.”

After the first sentence, the writer does not elaborate what is wrong with Duke's offense. Azura Stevens part of the paragraph belongs somewhere else.

“You can look at a trend of, okay we keep getting these top classes, we keep running the same stuff, eventually, people are going to beat you,” Antonelli said, “Even though you have the No. 1 talent, and you should be able to win those games.

Awful.

“Joanne has continued to draw top classes, and yet they have not been able to win at the highest level,” Antonelli said. “I assume that’s something that Duke wants to do, because they have done it historically.”

Historically? GG had a purple patch. I know very little about Duchal history otherwise.

When the Blue Devils lost 83-52 at Connecticut on Dec. 29, 2014, with two players flanking her at the dais, McCallie described the Blue Devils’ performance as a “pathetic display.”

The writer missed an opportunity to inform the readers that Duke stopped playing UCONN huskies after this (or one similar) drubbing. He also failed to mention the multiple drubbings Duke took from UCONN in spite of great recruiting.
Same as the inarticulate male jocks on ESPN. They know the game(s), but you give up the communication skills. Just gotta be a good interpreter.

Reaction Score
I would have used indirect speech.

Wow. Completely disagree. What makes the article so powerful is that they are direct quotes. And they are direct quotes that you *never* hear analysts say about a coach. Those verbatim statements had to be there.
Without the quotes, it could all be chalked up to spin or interpretation by the writer or editor.

T

TroyHouse66

tri-d-fan
<<This only took four hours for this to show up here? You guys are slipping.>>

Some times... late on a Fri afternoon... it's difficult to find someone to translate Southern to English.

Reaction Score
THANK YOU DEBBIE‼️ I've always thought I could outcoach JPM and that's because she's so darn predictable. Finally someone higher up said it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This may shock some fans but not everything that happens in the women's college basketball universe revolves around UConn. If anything, the story should have quoted the stats about Duke's win-loss record vs Top 10 or Top 20 teams but to single out UConn? Using the criterion that getting pasted by the Huskies is grounds for dismissal, every coach in the U.S. but Muffet McGraw and Tara Vanderveer should be on the hot seat.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
THANK YOU DEBBIE‼️ I've always thought I could outcoach JPM and that's because she's so darn predictable. Finally someone higher up said it.

Maybe you'd like Debbie for Duke's next coach?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I found one thing really odd - I am pretty sure that Azura was not enrolled at Uconn or in the state of CT when this article was put together so the idea that Uconn had become the gate-keeper for Azura is a little odd. The aspect of 'investigative' journalism reflected by the we tried to contact ____, but they declined comment, or their organization declined access, struck me as over the top. A simple statement that 'none of the assistant coaches nor transferring players have given any indication of what went into their decisions and we were unable to contact them' would have sufficed for what was a pretty bog standard article with a lot of sourced critique from Debbie.

Reaction Score
Hate to lose her but IMO Shea would be the right fit.

Reaction Score
Geno would ask that Shea be made Coach in waiting. Sotto voce of course. Or publically with Susan's blessing and Benedict's OK. No way we let her go with Geno unlikely to remain past 65.:):):)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That article has the warm aroma of a set-up, paving the way for the sacking (or negotiated disentanglement) of JPM

Reaction Score
That article has the warm aroma of a set-up, paving the way for the sacking (or negotiated disentanglement) of JPM

If it were a setup the focus of the story would've been JPM, not Duke WCBB.

Reaction Score
Most important word in your posting is IF. I can count on you to not DAMN anyone until they are convicted.. Her greatest stat is 79 percent win record. That isn't cow chips. Except for the ACC her win loss record is good (not great good). The ACC has loaded itself up with top teams, different than it was 5 years ago where she won often.
The most telling comment (since we have no complaints published from coaches or players) is her offense and defense is predictable. If that be the knock on her program--it is the easiest to change.
If (another BIG IF) those departed are not available to the schools investigators--they have nothing.
Thanks for taking the HIGH road and not the obviously, predictable condemnation without proof.
PS--I'm not a Duke fan, I like it when Geno destroys them.

Reaction Score
Geno would ask that Shea be made Coach in waiting. Sotto voce of course. Or publically with Susan's blessing and Benedict's OK. No way we let her go with Geno unlikely to remain past 65.:):):)
I prefer ABBY SUTTO ---her sister Voce isn't worth the words to say it.

Reaction Score
I found one thing really odd - I am pretty sure that Azura was not enrolled at Uconn or in the state of CT when this article was put together so the idea that Uconn had become the gate-keeper for Azura is a little odd. The aspect of 'investigative' journalism reflected by the we tried to contact ____, but they declined comment, or their organization declined access, struck me as over the top. A simple statement that 'none of the assistant coaches nor transferring players have given any indication of what went into their decisions and we were unable to contact them' would have sufficed for what was a pretty bog standard article with a lot of sourced critique from Debbie.

The easiest way of staying out of trouble, legally, politically, or publicly is the all time great"
NO COMMENT!!! Or better, no reply what so ever!! What you don't say can't be used against you . Interestingly, in these cases, until or unless someone is discharged, or convicted--the public has no RIGHT to know.
I'm just thrilled Azura Stevens at 6 ft 6 inches tried and true is now a Uconn Husky.....Do we need more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom