Anticipation... UConn is blossoming | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anticipation... UConn is blossoming

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The AAC barely qualifies as a D-1 program. Frankly, only one word in the Big East is correct. UConn’s incredible record of wins has come by defeating a lot of stumblebums. Still, UConn was a diamond in a box of costume jewelry able to beat the best teams in superior conferences. Those 11 national championships were well deserved. That may be changing. The SEC is more than South Carolina and the PAC-12 is loaded top to bottom, it’s last place team could probably win the UConn-less AAC. The Big 10 is showing growth. Baylor dominates the Big 12 but other teams are making moves. The AAC is down a bit because Norte Dame is down but they’ll be back (sorry).

Fine but this is the last year, we will be double digit weaker than than the top teams. Bring on all comers on an even playing field.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
. I doubt if Te’a Cooper can drop 27 points on us again

I've read this thread a bunch of times...and every time I come to this assertion, I think
Why not?
One has to focus on you know who...

She's averaging 15 a game and is given great credence for Baylor's dominance.
I don't see why she couldn't have a big game

Just like Anna or Squeaks could :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think we could handle Oregon as well. I watched the last Oregon-Stanford game and Tara had put together a good game plan. As with UCONN, Stanford was unable to stay with Oregon at the beginning of the game, because they could not hit open shots, shots they normally made. Oregon only won by 8 in the end.

Geno will come up with a good game plans well, and, if we can hit the shots, I'm optimistic about the result.

Oregon is not going to help you beat them. They’re fundamentally sound, and play together with lots of “sharing the ball” moments. They minimize their turnovers and missed layups. In short, you have to beat them like we did 2 years ago.

Can this UConn team beat them?, yes. But they have to not believe they can, but know they can, then go about the business of actually doing it. Carpe Diem. The 3 teams we lost to did not shrink under the bright lights. They all showed up to play. That’s what we have to do.

We helped those teams beat us by shooting so poorly. The two points we scored in the first quarter against South Carolina set the tone for the rest of the game. Do you think they were concerned about what we were doing after the first 10 minutes? Like us, they knew what kind of day it was going to be. So did the sell out crowd in attendance.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Now wait a minute...you held South Carolina to 11 points...but you only scored 2 because your shots weren't falling...lol...That can be reversed and said...South Carolina could have scored more but their shots weren't falling and they held us to 2....be realistic and optomistic. It's doable.

I’m always realistic.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I've read this thread a bunch of times...and every time I come to this assertion, I think
Why not?
One has to focus on you know who...

She's averaging 15 a game and is given great credence for Baylor's dominance.
I don't see why she couldn't have a big game

Just like Anna or Squeaks could :)

As I have said several times before, all of the starters must play well in order for us to beat an elite team. Yesterday, all 5 of our starters scored in double figures. Kayla and Aubrey played well off the bench. We can’t play just “OK”, OK is NOT good enough. Playing just OK will get you beat. You can't expect to beat the Bears, the Gamecocks or the Ducks playing just "OK".

Those 3 teams have all recently felt the sting of a defeat courtesy of the Huskies. Especially the Gamecocks.
They know exactly what to expect, and come ready to meet that high level of competition. Talent wise, we’re as good as anybody. We simply have to rise to their level of play and execute. Actually we should not have to rise to their level, we should already be there.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The biggest problem in evaluating where Uconn is right now is the AAC. That is somewhat true every year, but especially true this season. Does the better play reflect improvement or does it reflect weaker competition? Probably both, but how does one assess how much should be attributed to each?
I don’t think anyone is saying that blowing out Houston has championship implications but yesterday’s game did show a marked improvement in the Huskies. The first time UConn played Houston - at home - they had a very uneven game, allowing Houston to play them even for two periods. Yesterday there was no letup of effort and no standing around on offense. After what seemed to be a stagnant period of development, the Huskies and showing improvement once again.

Do I wish it had happened in January, why, yes I do but I will take this late season maturation gratefully.

Reaction Score
Someone ought to report this post for being too optimistic. (LOL) I hope so. It really would be nice to see them play like this all the way to the AAC tournament and into the NCAA tournament. They will fool everybody and be the big surprise.
I have always been the voice of reason, and criticized for it. Here is my take ( after the Houston and Cincy games);

1. Olivia is noticeably improving. She is showing an underlying athleticism which has previously been masked; speed down the court, hustle, agility under the hoop, alert passing and the beginnings of an outside shot. If she is gaining consistency with that shot, it changes everything. A player like Baylor's Cox, for example, can push her out of position under the hoop, but she cannot stay with Olivia for either that fade-away jumper, or the 12-15 footer. And if she is lured outside, Olivia can blow right by her.

2. Williams remains an enigma. She is still a high quality contributor in numerous respects ( defense, rebounding, drives to the hoop, and she is a reliable free throw shooter). Her outside shooting remains erratic. If she is "on" she is unstoppable. But that switch is often shorted out. We need it in the " on" position for three games, beginning with the "sweet sixteen"

3. Megan is a quality player in every respect. She is dependable and hard-core. Her only weakness, occasionally , is her ball security. But even that is not a huge issue.

4. Dangerfield is pure quality. A tremendous asset and leader.

5. Ania ( or is it Anna?) is looking more and more confident. Clearly, she can shoot the lights out, and her passing is alert, and her defense on the rise. She contributes a lot as a rebounder. One note of caution; she may not perform as well when she is not " allowed to breathe." By that I mean; when she is faced with a stifling defense, such as that of Baylor, Oregon and SC. It remains to be seen if her recent play will carry over to the Big Dance opponents. There is no doubt, that those teams mentioned ( and a few others ) have far better athletes and BB players than does either Cincy or Houston.

6. Aubrey is ) petty much ) what we have seen. A disruptive force on defense, a great leaper ( rebounder ) and a player who can score and/or create fouls by driving to the hoop. Don't expect more this year. Her foul shooting is going to stay erratic, and she will not take an outside shot.

I don't think we'll see anyone else on the court once we hit the round of 16, unless Olivia is sitting due to foul trouble. Even then, the first choice will be Aubrey, rather than Kyla.

This team has the potential to play championship basketball. But everyone has to have their best games at the same time. And to ask for that against the top-ranked teams is a " Big Ask."

It will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Well I cant wait for Saturdays game to see if we continue where we left off. Anna has been terrific the past 3 games. Her scoreing is consistent and her confidence is contagious. Anna and Liv have been coming on as scorers that we can depend on. Now we see where CW is. I beleive shes turned the corner. I think we see a continuatioin of where she left off. I do expect ups and downs are she progress's the next couple of games but I think shes made the jump. I beleive the passing of the damm ball and the aggressvie defense have helped get this team on track.

With Liv sick and Megan with 3 fouls we scored over 100 pts in the last game. Kyla wasnt hesitant and Griff took it to the hoop. Both shot the ball and scored. A huge leap coming off the bench. Thats huge for this team and it came at the right time. We've seen UConn getting better each and every game over the past few weeks and the Cinny game we all came alive. UConn is blossoming at the right time and gaining confidence. Everybody is involved, not alot of dribbleing and not alot of one on one. The next 10 days should be alot of fun to watch.

We caught fire the other nite. We had seen sparks fly in the previous games of players beginning to get going and getting better. All the practice, all the tweaking, all the repetition is showing now. Hey I dont expect us not to have ups and downs. However I dont expect us to revert back to where we were a couple of months ago. This is a different team. Its a team that has confidence and trusts what they are doing. Its a team that is coming on strong at the right time. We no longer have 3 scorers that we have to depend on. We have a team of kids who can score. We still need to make sure Liv doesnt get in foul trouble because her presence underneath is a major factor in where we go this season. Now we have a bunch of scorers and if CD or Meg are not having a great game we have others who can pick up the slack. Remember the Baylor game and the 4th qtr when we were down I basket and we couldnt score. We can now because we dont have to depend on 2 or 3 kids to score. Remember the SC and Oregon game when we were making comebacks and our shooting went cold. No more, not now, because we have more players who can score and who can help carry us.
We have matured and grown up. All the seeds the coaches planted are beginning to take a life of their own. We came together as a team. We now know what we can do. We've taken the game from that 3 inch court between our ears and executed it on the floor. We were firing on all cylinders for the first time in a long time. The most important thing is we're playing UConn BB.
Let me offer open note of caution. Everyone ( coaches, analysts, players ) says that it is UCONN's defense which is creating their improved offense. And the evidence is pretty obvious.

However, it is quite a different task to defend Baylor, SC or any of the top-ranked teams, than it is to defend a Houston or Cincy. As such, the " defense turning to offense " opportunities will be much harder to come-by.

We have seen what happens when UCONN is forced into a flat half-court offense; the movement and flow dry up, and we don't get uncontested shots.

I certainly hope that we can keep up the defensive pressure. We played defense pretty well vs. Baylor for 35 minutes.

But we must realize that the road is going to get much tougher.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The AAC barely qualifies as a D-1 program. Frankly, only one word in the Big East is correct. UConn’s incredible record of wins has come by defeating a lot of stumblebums. Still, UConn was a diamond in a box of costume jewelry able to beat the best teams in superior conferences. Those 11 national championships were well deserved. That may be changing. The SEC is more than South Carolina and the PAC-12 is loaded top to bottom, it’s last place team could probably win the UConn-less AAC. The Big 10 is showing growth. Baylor dominates the Big 12 but other teams are making moves. The AAC is down a bit because Norte Dame is down but they’ll be back (sorry).
Is this your latest talking point? This is just false. Washington lost at home to Tulane. Come on now.

Reaction Score
Is this your latest talking point? This is just false. Washington lost at home to Tulane. Come on now.
Even a blind robin can find a worm.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Even a blind robin can find a worm.
You'll have better success if you go back to your "Ceal Berry is the greatest coach of all time" campaign.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have always been the voice of reason, and criticized for it. Here is my take ( after the Houston and Cincy games);

1. Olivia is noticeably improving. She is showing an underlying athleticism which has previously been masked; speed down the court, hustle, agility under the hoop, alert passing and the beginnings of an outside shot. If she is gaining consistency with that shot, it changes everything. A player like Baylor's Cox, for example, can push her out of position under the hoop, but she cannot stay with Olivia for either that fade-away jumper, or the 12-15 footer. And if she is lured outside, Olivia can blow right by her.

2. Williams remains an enigma. She is still a high quality contributor in numerous respects ( defense, rebounding, drives to the hoop, and she is a reliable free throw shooter). Her outside shooting remains erratic. If she is "on" she is unstoppable. But that switch is often shorted out. We need it in the " on" position for three games, beginning with the "sweet sixteen"

3. Megan is a quality player in every respect. She is dependable and hard-core. Her only weakness, occasionally , is her ball security. But even that is not a huge issue.

4. Dangerfield is pure quality. A tremendous asset and leader.

5. Ania ( or is it Anna?) is looking more and more confident. Clearly, she can shoot the lights out, and her passing is alert, and her defense on the rise. She contributes a lot as a rebounder. One note of caution; she may not perform as well when she is not " allowed to breathe." By that I mean; when she is faced with a stifling defense, such as that of Baylor, Oregon and SC. It remains to be seen if her recent play will carry over to the Big Dance opponents. There is no doubt, that those teams mentioned ( and a few others ) have far better athletes and BB players than does either Cincy or Houston.

6. Aubrey is ) petty much ) what we have seen. A disruptive force on defense, a great leaper ( rebounder ) and a player who can score and/or create fouls by driving to the hoop. Don't expect more this year. Her foul shooting is going to stay erratic, and she will not take an outside shot.

I don't think we'll see anyone else on the court once we hit the round of 16, unless Olivia is sitting due to foul trouble. Even then, the first choice will be Aubrey, rather than Kyla.

This team has the potential to play championship basketball. But everyone has to have their best games at the same time. And to ask for that against the top-ranked teams is a " Big Ask."

It will be fun to watch.

When you accept the mantle of being "a voice of reason", you also willingly accept the subsequent criticism that will surely come. ;) In response to all of your points...........check!

Anna must improve her defense, that is the ability to keep her man in front of her. She appears to have slow feet (as we all know, you play defense with your feet). It's a deficiencty I expect her to correct. Like Aubrey, she's becoming a good passer that will be even better next year.

We fail to recognize all of the "adjustments" she had to make coming from a foreign country, and trying to fit in. It appears that she has finally gotten comfortable with her new home (the USA), life style, coaches, teammates, style of play, attending a university and keeping up with all of the required reading and papers/reports that must be turned in. Not to mention the new level of competition. I found it interesting that the game announcer yesterday (Allan Bestwick) said that Anna had not hit the freshman wall so far this year. We know why. She's not your typical freshman.

Christyn also gets beat off the dribble more than I would care to see. Learning the "art" of moving your feet fast enough (without crossing them) to keep your man in front of you is hard work. The great ones master it. Few freshmen arrive here already playing D1 level defense. It MUST be learned.

Moriah Jefferson, Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse worked to become great defenders, and learned how to keep a player in front of them. There were many others, but those 3 stood out. Crystal can do it now, but not when she first got here. Learning to play defense to Geno's satisfaction is like acquiring a taste for beer, it takes time. Nobody likes their first beer. If they say they do, they're lying to you. ;)

Tip in......................... I'm also hoping that Paige Bueckers' attitude and bravado is infectious, and spreads throughout the team. :cool:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom