Another writer pushing for UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another writer pushing for UCONN

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's what he says about his background and experience:

I'm a veteran sportswriter who has spent 13 years covering the Big 10, ACC and SEC for newspapers in the South and Midwest. I've focused on Alabama, Clemson and Wisconsin at various points in my career and have expertise in college football, basketball and baseball and have covered numerous other sports.
In 2000, I covered University of Wisconsin football for the Dubuque (Ia.) Telegraph Herald.
From 2001-05, I covered the ups and downs of University of Alabama athletics for the late, great Birmingham Post-Herald. When the Post-Herald folded in September 2005, I moved to South Carolina and covered Clemson University athletics for the Anderson Independent Mail. I spent seven-plus years with the Independent Mail and continue to cover Clemson sports, including now for Bleacher Report. I have won numerous state and national awards for my writing and look forward to sharing my expertise with you.

On paper, he looks solid. I don't know if anyone pays attention to what he says, but he is more credentialed that many idiots who opine about CR masquerading as Nostradamus.

All he needs to do is figure out who is funding hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars and this is a done deal.

Reaction Score
Why do you think the next round will be adds? I would expect existing deadweight to go first.
I think the next round will be shocking. I think the bigs wil be trying to cut dead wood and shrink the pool in order to get a bigger peice of the pie.

Reaction Score
I think the next round will be shocking. I think the bigs wil be trying to cut dead wood and shrink the pool in order to get a bigger peice of the pie.
I've been saying this for a while. The next TV contracts in inflation adjusted dollars are going to take a pretty big cut. No way is Ohio State going to take less money just so Purdue can have an equal share.

Reaction Score
No way is Ohio State going to take less money just so Purdue can have an equal share.

It's not likely Tier 1 and 2 will be differentiated between Ohio State and Purdue. Total revenue will be greater for Ohio State, but not due to the base TV contract.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I am in Frank the Tank's camp in this one. There's no incentive for the dead weight to be cut, and these decisions are made by presidents, not AD's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am in Frank the Tank's camp in this one. There's no incentive for the dead weight to be cut, and these decisions are made by presidents, not AD's.
There's no incentive because the money per school has been increasing. Once that ceases to be the case "a fair apportionment" argument is likely to be made by those who feel that they are responsible for the generation of revenue.

Reaction Score
That "fair apportionment" thing can be a can of worms....if you evaluate the worth of a conference, teams like FSU, Clemson, or Michigan and Ohio State, carry a disproportionate share of the value (over teams like Wake, NC State, Purdue, Indiana).

If you go that far, you are talking about the lion eating his kill...and not the current equal distribution of conference revenue. Teams paid more their worth instead of the Wakes getting the same revenue as the Clemsons.

The hyenas can circle until the lions have their fill.

Reaction Score
And, in basketball, teams would be apportioned their share of tourney payments based on their tourney participation, not an equal conference share.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Unless something drastically happens, the ACC will never happen for us.

BC, Syracuse, and Pitt fear competing with us on a level playing field.

Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and Georgia Tech have no respect for our football program.

Reaction Score
Unless something drastically happens, the ACC will never happen for us.

BC, Syracuse, and Pitt fear competing with us on a level playing field.

Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and Georgia Tech have no respect for our football program.
Hey maybe you're right, the power programs in the ACC have no respect for what HCRE is trying to do or for our offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, and Pitt, Cuse, and BC were shaking in their boots when they had to play us all those years in the Big East. Lol

Reaction Score
If UConn had ever once beaten Boston College, and if a very bad BC that went 2-6 in conference last year, hadn't beaten the Huskies 30-0, I might put some credence into the "shaking in their boots" comment.

I do believe that BC wanted to maintain their position as the only ACC team in the corridor and campaigned against UConn inclusion...but I don't think it was fear of prowess as much as defense of territory

Pitt and Cuse, I could see it, I guess...if they were ultimately more afraid of UConn then Louisville

Reaction Score
If UConn had ever once beaten Boston College, and if a very bad BC that went 2-6 in conference last year, hadn't beaten the Huskies 30-0, I might put some credence into the "shaking in their boots" comment.

I do believe that BC wanted to maintain their position as the only ACC team in the corridor and campaigned against UConn inclusion...but I don't think it was fear of prowess as much as defense of territory

Pitt and Cuse, I could see it, I guess...if they were ultimately more afraid of UConn then Louisville
You're some what wrong on both counts, there was a strong personal component as well, Flipper hated UCONN ever since his playing days at Springfield. He's gone now. The consensus now among those three schools now is we help a lot more in rivalries, the TV market from NYC to Boston, and believe it or not in recruiting as well, and not just in Football, the basketball programs for all three is on life support and the UCONN brand still has some shine.

Reaction Score
That "fair apportionment" thing can be a can of worms....if you evaluate the worth of a conference, teams like FSU, Clemson, or Michigan and Ohio State, carry a disproportionate share of the value (over teams like Wake, NC State, Purdue, Indiana).

If you go that far, you are talking about the lion eating his kill...and not the current equal distribution of conference revenue. Teams paid more their worth instead of the Wakes getting the same revenue as the Clemsons.

The hyenas can circle until the lions have their fill.

This is also very dangerous for us as well. Our football has been terrible and our basketball has been below average. No one cares how we have done in the past if pay is based on performance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know billybud, sometimes I find you to be a little "trolly" but I can't say I disagree with this comment in the least, well at least as far as football goes.

Of course UConn dominated BCU in hoops.

Reaction Score
You are talking about a different time in the BC/UConn dynamic. Yes, BC beat UConn a couple of times as UConn built some steam in football, but UConn was clearly on an upward trajectory. Many winning seasons, better facilities, bigger fan base etc. UConn was clearly going to eclipse BC if things stayed on a level playing field. However, BC escaped to the ACC and Edsall left out of hatred for our AD, Jeff Hathaway. Hathaway hired Pasqualoni and then our next AD, Warde Manuel hired Diaco. This sequence of events gave BC some breathing room, but that was more our doing than theirs.

In basketball, BC was very respectable and nationally relevant in the 80's, 90's and into the 2000's. They had some great teams and won a lot of games. However, in that time UConn built a 25 game winning streak against them. That caused some humiliation. Keep in mind, the Big East had passionate basketball fans like the ACC sees on Tobacco Road. It mattered around the Northeast and UConn literally embarrassed them in both men's and women's basketball. Besides winning national titles in men's basketball, the women developed into a traveling circus putting another UConn program in the spotlight. UConn built an on campus arena and started winning titles, then built the football stadium, then the practice facilities were built, all as BC languished. They absolutely ran from it.

Reaction Score
BC at the time of their move, in 2005, to the ACC, was coming off of a pretty good period for their basketball...not great, but good.

The Eagles had won the BE tournament in 97 and 2001. They had made the NCAA tourney four times from 2000-2004 in the BE...losing in the second round three times and first round once.

They were end year AP ranked three of their last five years in the Big East (#14, 25, 7)

BC did OK their first few years in the ACC, going to three tourneys, end ranked AP #7...then they lost AL Skinner as coach and the long slide started.

Reaction Score
In football, BC had promise in 2004...they finished with nine wins in both 2004 and 2005.

In 2006 BC won 10 games including wins over FSU, VT, and Clemson...they won 11 games in 2007 and then the regression began....in their 12 seasons in the ACC, they have had three losing seasons and two double digit win seasons and a string of middling seasons.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

We're, what, 0-3 as a I-A team? We've played 10 times in 104 years. Whoopdie damn doo.

Florida St is 1-4 vs Kentucky. That's about as relevant.

Reaction Score
BC is backstabbing scum. FSU is worse.

Why is FSU worse? Wasn't it BC that led the call to blackball use from the ACC?

The BC president and BC alums are still steamed about what they BELIEVE we did. The old AD leaving didn't end the bad feelings.

Reaction Score
BC is backstabbing scum. FSU is worse.

That would be backstabbing P5 scum to you, Mister (LOL).

FSU acted in its best interest.....I assume BC had their own motivation, some of it personal enmity, some a business interest.

Reaction Score
Backstabbing scum is backstabbing scum. I really wonder what brings you repeatedly back here. Is it a sense of guilt and you know we are correct about you and FSU? I am really, really dumbfounded by your repeated appearance here. You are truly a stinging nettle.

Reaction Score
Why is FSU worse? Wasn't it BC that led the call to blackball use from the ACC?

The BC president and BC alums are still steamed about what they BELIEVE we did. The old AD leaving didn't end the bad feelings.
FSU led the final charge to take Louisville over UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom