Another visitor this weekend- Sam Cassell, Jr. | The Boneyard

Another visitor this weekend- Sam Cassell, Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Eric Bossi, Sam Cassell, Jr. will be visiting UConn this weekend. He has already visited Missouri and Marquette and will be visiting Louisville next weekend.

D

Deleted member 3149

Certainly wouldn't hurt to have this young man in Storrs. Sam Senior would be attending many games...

Reaction Score
I wonder if this means Newberry is out
Interesting that they have been trying to set up a visit for two weeks and we still have not heard anything regarding him. How long has UCONN been involved with Cassell Jr?

Reaction Score
Interesting that they have been trying to set up a visit for two weeks and we still have not heard anything regarding him. How long has UCONN been involved with Cassell Jr?

I've heard Cassell Jr mentioned as being on the radar dating back to his ND Prep days before he committed to MD. And yea, something seems off with the Newberry stuff, he's been talking scheduling a visit for 2 weeks now, starting to remind me of Perkins, how hard is it to schedule a visit?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've heard Cassell Jr mentioned as being on the radar dating back to his ND Prep days before he committed to MD. And yea, something seems off with the Newberry stuff, he's been talking scheduling a visit for 2 weeks now, starting to remind me of Perkins, how hard is it to schedule a visit?
Some kids don't know for sure where they want to go and want to check out UConn to make sure they aren't excluding a program that fits. And some know where they are heading and want to basque in the attention. I get the impression that Newberry wants to relish in the attention and is not serious about UConn.

Reaction Score
Some kids don't know for sure where they want to go and want to check out UConn to make sure they aren't excluding a program that fits. And some know where they are heading and want to basque in the attention. I get the impression that Newberry wants to relish in the attention and is not serious about UConn.

Agree, he also seems to be more interested in colleges football programs rather than what school would be best at developing him as a basketball player. Obviously he is not a one and done and if he really is interested in going to the next level he would know what school is best for him. We already know that answer.

Reaction Score

I agree with almost all of this but I'm not sure what it has to do with an indigenous ethnic group in Iberia.

Reaction Score
BTW, UConn offered Sam Cassell WAY BACK in early February. Reported by Alex Kline on February 8th.

If anything, the offer to Cassell PREDATES any offers to Josh Perkins, Quentin Snider, Jaquan Lyle, Jeff Newberry, Devin Watson, Devon Graham, etc.

It could be that the only PG offered prior to Cassell is Jordan McGlaughlin.

Reaction Score
I should add that Cassell already had an unofficial visit to UConn before the UConn offer to him.

Reaction Score
Would Cassell come into college with 4 years of eligibility, or two?

Reaction Score
Would Cassell come into college with 4 years of eligibility, or two?
Three years of eligibility. I still don't understand how, since he took a redshirt at the junior college. But I guess if you were to attend a junior college, whether you sit or play, you lose a year of eligibility?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Three years of eligibility. I still don't understand how, since he took a redshirt at the junior college. But I guess if you were to attend a junior college, whether you sit or play, you lose a year of eligibility?
Wow... how does one red-shirt at juco? I'm assuming there was an injury?

What's the history again? Original class year? I recall he was high on UConn before committing to MD...and then academically ineligible? He did work on those issues?

Reaction Score
Wow... how does one red-shirt at juco? I'm assuming there was an injury?

What's the history again? Original class year? I recall he was high on UConn before committing to MD...and then academically ineligible? He did work on those issues?
I think it may have been due to the timing of everything, at least according to this article:

Cassell was ruled ineligible by the NCAA last September. Maryland challenged the ruling, but the appeal was denied later that month. By the time the 6-foot-3 ½, 185-pound combo guard enrolled at Chipola, junior college rules stated that he would have had to sit out the first semester. So instead of suiting up as a freshman, Cassell focused on his academics, practiced, worked out and took a redshirt year.

This helps explain his situation a lot too: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...gibility-to-myles-davis-and-sam-cassells-kid-

Reaction Score
would LOVE Cassell... His dad was one of my fave players as he was a guy who did not have great athletic ability but just knew how to play. You can see a bit of his dad's game in Juniors as well. I was pissed when we lost him to MD last spring; hope we can snag him this time around.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have five years to play four seasons, even as a 4-2-4 transfer

Cassell did not play his freshman season at the junior college, he'll play this year and then transfer to a four-year school - he'll have three years of eligibility remaining with three years to use that eligibility.

UConn recruited him out of high school and just happened to lose him to Maryland.

Cassell really should be at Maryland - the NCAA screwed him and Myles Davis. They lost credit for core classes that were approved by the NCAA previously for at least ten other division one players. Notre Dame Prep was absolutely worthy of inclusion on the watch list, but to retroactively nail kids for something the NCAA permitted while they were enrolled is just dirty pool.

Reaction Score
@sam2ss2ll: Boarding the plane I'm gone

Looks like he's on his way now.

Reaction Score
You know, if Ollie can just recruit sons of his former NBA teammates who admire him, we'll have a pipeline for decades.

Although we just have to hope that LeBron's and Durant's kids don't take after their moms.

Reaction Score
You know, if Ollie can just recruit sons of his former NBA teammates who admire him, we'll have a pipeline for decades.

Although we just have to hope that LeBron's and Durant's kids don't take after their moms.

Durant's fiance is a WNBA player, they might end up making a super baby

Reaction Score
Durant's fiance is a WNBA, they might end up making a super baby

And she's pretty jacked too. Those kids are gonna be ridiculously athletic. The runt of the litter will still be a D1 athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom