Another Ossining alum for UCONN? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another Ossining alum for UCONN?

Reaction Score
Why can't UCONN sign Griffin as well as Jones or Horston? I know that both Jones and Horston are better than Griffin, but it would not hurt to have another guard.

That’s the kind of stuff that schools like Baylor, TX and MD do when they bring in 5-6 player classes, only to have half the class transfer out.

It’s really not fair to the kids to bring in more recruits then realistically have an opportunity to play. I’d like to believe that Geno and UConn are better than that.[/QUOTE]
Add L’ville to that group of schools

Reaction Score
Sarah Andrews, PG, rated #4 ESPN does not seem to get much discussion on the BY as we talk about Bueckers and Van Lith. What do we know about this Texas kid. Our last PG from Texas wasn't too shabby.

she's apparently extremely talented...........from reading the Baylor and Texas boards it appears they are going to fight it out for her............I guess she's another Texas player that wants to stay in state

Reaction Score
If I was a betting type of person, I would say that the percentages are leaning in Louisville's favor. Yes, Griffin has narrowed her choices down to UCONN and Louisville, but many believe that Griffin would ultimately be a better fit for the Lady Cardinals than the Lady Huskies. Given that, as of right now, Griffin would be # 3 on their current board, I wonder where Griffin currently stands on Louisville's board.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I was a betting type of person, I would say that the percentages are leaning in Louisville's favor. Yes, Griffin has narrowed her choices down to UCONN and Louisville, but many believe that Griffin would ultimately be a better fit for the Lady Cardinals than the Lady Huskies. Given that, as of right now, Griffin would be # 3 on their current board, I wonder where Griffin currently stands on Louisville's board.

I glad you have come around to a least the possibility of Aubrey coming to UCONN.

" E) Forget about Aubrey Griffin from ever ending up at UCONN (I got this feeling that her HS Coach [Ricci] is no longer a fan of Geno, and, don't be surprised that Griffin is pushed away from Geno and UCONN by Ricci, and Griffin ends up at either South Carolina or Notre Dame."
I’m not sure what would make Aubrey a better fit for Louisville vs UCONN. Since Louisville offers everyone under the sun Aubrey could be #1 or she could be #12 for Louisville. At least she knows where she stands with UCONN, and she still wants to come. What a great kid!

Reaction Score
I glad you have come around to a least the possibility of Aubrey coming to UCONN.

I’m not sure what would make Aubrey a better fit for Louisville vs UCONN. Since Louisville offers everyone under the sun Aubrey could be #1 or she could be #12 for Louisville. At least she knows where she stands with UCONN, and she still wants to come. What a great kid!
I agree that you probably have no clue about who makes a better fit where. Or about whether her HS coach is the slightest bit upset with Geno. Just pure personal conjecture! On one hand I often feel these type of comments should just be ignored as responding gives it more life.
On the other hand, from what I've read, it surely looks like if Geno has offered Griffin, she would have accepted. Seemingly (and I don't claim to know anything about this) Geno prefers to wait and focus on other players and doesn't want a verbal commitment from Griffin to influence those other choices.
Guess time will tell!
Bronx23

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that you probably have no clue about who makes a better fit where. Or about whether her HS coach is the slightest bit upset with Geno. Just pure personal conjecture! One one hand I often feel these type of comments should just be ignored as responding gives it more life.
On the other hand, from what I've read, it surely looks like if Geno has offered Griffin, she would have accepted. Seemingly (and I don't claim to know anything about this) Geno prefers to wait and focus on other players and doesn't want a verbal commitment from Griffin to influence those other choices.
Guess time will tell!
Bronx23
Sorry but I'm just too petty to ignore such "personal" conjecture.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
that's clearly the case....I'll be the first to congratulate him if his strategy pays off but I'm going to complain like heck if it doesn't......he's risking an awful lot with some amazingly talented players that could shift the power away from UConn in a big way...
So you are saying Geno/UCONN should take a player they don't think will be a good fit just so they might have a chance at other players (friends??) down the road???

That's probably about the dumbest recruiting strategy I've heard in a long time.

Reaction Score
So you are saying Geno/UCONN should take a player they don't think will be a good fit just so they might have a chance at other players (friends??) down the road???

That's probably about the dumbest recruiting strategy I've heard in a long time.

perhaps it's a bit premature to come to that conclusion in this instance............if Brunelle turns out to be an excellent player and her two pals join her at ND I think you might view it differently.............

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
perhaps it's a bit premature to come to that conclusion in this instance..if Brunelle turns out to be an excellent player and her two pals join her at ND I think you might view it differently...
Maybe, but that’s a big IF.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but that’s a big IF.

do you think she has a chance to be as good as Kyla Irwin?.................apparently she was good enough for UConn to have offered in the first place and she's good enough to play for MM at Notre Dame............doesn't sound like she's a four year bench player to me, never mind her extremely close ties to the single best players of the 2020 and 2021 classes...........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
perhaps it's a bit premature to come to that conclusion in this instance..if Brunelle turns out to be an excellent player and her two pals join her at ND I think you might view it differently...
Nope. Why would I?? There are lots of excellent players out there. Not all of them fit at UCONN. (from their point of view OR UCONN's point of view)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
do you think she has a chance to be as good as Kyla Irwin?.......apparently she was good enough for UConn to have offered in the first place and she's good enough to play for MM at Notre Dame..doesn't sound like she's a four year bench player to me, never mind her extremely close ties to the single best players of the 2020 and 2021 classes......
Again, we're into speculation here. While I do believe that SB is a talented player, it's not completely clear to me that UConn ever officially offered her. I know there were some press reports going all the way back to her sophomore season indicating that UConn had offered, but I'm certain those reports did not originate from Geno or his staff. So UConn either offered and then rescinded the offer, for what reason we will never know, or they never offered. Either way, I trust that Geno's decision was justified and not arbitrary in nature.

Reaction Score
Again, we're into speculation here. While I do believe that SB is a talented player, it's not completely clear to me that UConn ever officially offered her. I know there were some press reports going all the way back to her sophomore season indicating that UConn had offered, but I'm certain those reports did not originate from Geno or his staff. So UConn either offered and then rescinded the offer, for what reason we will never know, or they never offered. Either way, I trust that Geno's decision was justified and not arbitrary in nature.

We also have to consider that UConn did offer and she simply chose the Irish. As for why that could have happened? Maybe she or her family didn't like Geno. Maybe she or her family asked the wrong questions or made requests/demands that Geno refused to honor. And maybe she didn't want to play behind Walker for 2 years. The speculation can go on endlessly.

What I do believe is that maintaining friendships does not require attendance at the same school and if a player allows that to be a deciding factor in her athletic future then maybe they aren't the right sort for Storrs.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We also have to consider that UConn did offer and she simply chose the Irish. As for why that could have happened? Maybe she or her family didn't like Geno. Maybe she or her family asked the wrong questions or made requests/demands that Geno refused to honor.

The speculation can go on endlessly. What I do believe is that maintaining friendships does not require attendance at the same school and if a player lets that be a deciding factor in her athletic future then maybe they aren't the right sort for Storrs.
Yes, it’s possible that SB simply chose the Irish over UConn. But that doesn’t square with the mysterious poster, Dolphin, who appeared out of the blue on the BY with considerable inside knowledge on SB including that she had moved up her planned decision date from next fall to this past spring, and that she was also going to ND.

Dolphin also indicated that SB and her family could not get assurance from Geno that UConn still had an offer on the table after their 2nd visit to Storrs this past January, and that SB’s HS boyfriend, who was heading to UVA was no longer in the picture.

It was all a little weird, but ultimately the limited number of posts from Dolphin appeared to have been accurate.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We also have to consider that UConn did offer and she simply chose the Irish. As for why that could have happened? Maybe she or her family didn't like Geno. Maybe she or her family asked the wrong questions or made requests/demands that Geno refused to honor. And maybe she didn't want to play behind Walker for 2 years. The speculation can go on endlessly.

She was offered and she did verbal to Notre Dame. But prevailing evidence suggests UConn changed course while she was still considering.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Sam announced for Notre Dame in April, she did not have an offer from UConn. That comes from multiple very good sources. Whether she misconstrued earlier interest as an offer or she received an offer that was later rescinded is not entirely clear.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What I do believe is that maintaining friendships does not require attendance at the same school and if a player allows that to be a deciding factor in her athletic future then maybe they aren't the right sort for Storrs.

I will not get into the SB stuff but I do agree that the idea of elite friends coordinating their recruiting and teaming up with the idea of forming "superteams" should not be "feared" and I will go further and say that imho, it is generally not in the best interest of the players/friends.

I think with the pressure to crack into a top tier lineup etc and the general principle that players do not develop at the same pace, it is most likely that underlying tension and envy is sure to develop. It is one thing to lose playing time or play second fiddle to a new teammate and competitor but another to lose to a best friend. At times it may work and I guess, in the case of sisters, the familial bond is strong enough to endure inequities but I think it is not a great idea in general. One example that comes to mind is Lauren Cox - Natalie Chou. I think they came in as a close pair of friends but their different levels of success probably intensified any problems.

Anyhow, college is supposed to open you up to new experiences and to learn to make friends at a different level.

Reaction Score
She was offered and she did verbal to Notre Dame. But prevailing evidence suggests UConn changed course while she was still considering.

is anyone aware of another recruiting situation where UConn offered and then pulled the offer? I could see something like that happening if a player's behavior or academic standing warranted it otherwise it seems highly unusual...............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When Sam announced for Notre Dame in April, she did not have an offer from UConn. That comes from multiple very good sources. Whether she misconstrued earlier interest as an offer or she received an offer that was later rescinded is not entirely clear.
Well Samantha said she got an offer so I'm going to ride with that.
The ND Insider reported that Brunelle said that UConn DID give her an offer. She said the report in the Courant that UConn never extended an offer was not correct.
"Brunelle’s competitive edge could have been tested Sunday, when shortly after her commitment announcement, a report in the Hartford Courant, citing unnamed sources, claimed the Huskies hadn’t offered Brunelle a scholarship.
That was news to Brunelle, who last visited UConn in December.
“They did offer me. I went on a visit (in 2016) and sat with (head coach) Geno (Auriemma), and he told me,” Brunelle said. “That’s false information.”"

The link: Top-ranked recruit Samantha Brunelle was ready to commit to Notre Dame before national title

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
is anyone aware of another recruiting situation where UConn offered and then pulled the offer? I could see something like that happening if a player's behavior or academic standing warranted it otherwise it seems highly unusual.....
I’m certainly not aware of a similar situation, assuming he did offer SB. He has talked negatively about some recruits, or their parents, that were overly focused on themselves. Presumably, in those instances, Geno never offered.

If anything, once Geno offers a scholarship, it’s as good as gold. He never waivered with Gabby, and she went through 2 knee injuries.

As far as SB, I still wonder if there was an initial misunderstanding of some kind. It was reported in several local VA newspapers that UConn had offered prior to SB playing a single game during her sophomore season. At the time, a number of BY’ers were quite surprised that Geno would be making offers to recruits following their freshman season, something he’d never done before, as far as I know.

It was all very strange, and we will likely never know all the details.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
is anyone aware of another recruiting situation where UConn offered and then pulled the offer? I could see something like that happening if a player's behavior or academic standing warranted it otherwise it seems highly unusual.....
Apparently it was basketball and more. It wasn’t academics or poor behavior.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m certainly not aware of a similar situation, assuming he did offer SB. He has talked negatively about some recruits, or their parents, that were overly focused on themselves. Presumably, in those instances, Geno never offered.

If anything, once Geno offers a scholarship, it’s as good as gold. He never waivered with Gabby, and she went through 2 knee injuries.

As far as SB, I still wonder if there was an initial misunderstanding of some kind. It was reported in several local VA newspapers that UConn had offered prior to SB playing a single game during her sophomore season. At the time, a number of BY’ers were quite surprised that Geno would be making offers to recruits following their freshman season, something he’d never done before, as far as I know.

It was all very strange, and we will likely never know all the details.
The whole situation was strange. It seemed as if there was drama as well, and Geno hates drama.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom