Another Ossining alum for UCONN? | The Boneyard

Another Ossining alum for UCONN?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s kind of a “bird in the hand” argument, but if I’m Geno, I have a couple of concerns. I don’t want anything to get in the way of the recruitment of Jones and/or Horston. Griffin is the #3 wing on UConn’s big board right now.

Beyond that, UConn has had mixed results with Ossining kids. Saniya ultimately became a key player by her senior year in Storrs, but prior to that, she struggled to break into the regular rotation. In addition, no HS player was a stronger UConn commit than AEH, and we all know how that turned out.

If Jones & Horston end up somewhere else, and Griffin is still available, then UConn should offer, but not before.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Jones & Horston end up somewhere else, and Griffin is still available, then UConn should offer, but not before.

That could be a long wait if the other two don't decide before November which is looking likely.

Reaction Score
If Jones & Horston end up somewhere else, and Griffin is still available, then UConn should offer, but not before.[/QUOTE]
Why can't UCONN sign Griffin as well as Jones or Horston? I know that both Jones and Horston are better than Griffin, but it would not hurt to have another guard.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That could be a long wait if the other two don't decide before November which is looking likely.
Yes, that’s true. But I’m thinking back to last year. UConn goes into the fall with only one verbal commitment, Collier, and she decommits. At the 11th hour UConn gets commitments from possibly the top 2 players in the class, CW & ONO.

Recruiting is not for the faint of heart. If UConn has a pretty good feeling about Jones, Horston, Boston & Amihere, I would continue pursuing them and keep my fingers crossed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why can't UCONN sign Griffin as well as Jones or Horston? I know that both Jones and Horston are better than Griffin, but it would not hurt to have another guard.[/QUOTE]

That’s the kind of stuff that schools like Baylor, TX and MD do when they bring in 5-6 player classes, only to have half the class transfer out.

It’s really not fair to the kids to bring in more recruits then realistically have an opportunity to play. I’d like to believe that Geno and UConn are better than that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think UCONN should give her an offer. She is really athletic and wants to be a UCONN Player. I,m tired of recruits that string UCONN along and then commit somewhere else.
Which recruit has strung UCONN along and ended up somewhere else?
Why can't UCONN sign Griffin as well as Jones or Horston? I know that both Jones and Horston are better than Griffin, but it would not hurt to have another guard.
UCONN can sign Griffin, Jones or Horston because there are enough available scholarships. Don't forget that Boston (UCONN's priority) and Amihere are also in this class -but still enough scholarships available to sign all five. Now let's talk history and practically. Last time UCONN brought in a class of 5 players 2010 , 3 of the five ended up transferring. The last time 2014 UCONN brought in a class of 4 players that were essentially the same position- guards two ended up transferring. One switched position and became an AA player playing in the post. To bring in three G/wing type players to a roster that already includes 4 ( Williams, Coombs, Walker & Gordon) is not practical IMO, because you would essentially have 7 players competing for 2 spots.
BTW of those 7 players competing for those 2 spots 4( Williams, Walker, Jones, & Horston ) have been ranked overall #1 or #2 in the respective classes.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think Louisville is getting a nice player. I hope UCONN has time to circle back if Jones or Horston go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN should give her an offer. She is really athletic and wants to be a UCONN Player. I,m tired of recruits that string UCONN along and then commit somewhere else.

What? They have had Top 5 recruiting classes virtually every year. You are not going to get EVERY recruit you go after! Just because a player wants to play for UConn doesn't mean she is going to help them win.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, Horston has been playing both guard positions in high school..........she certainly could continue that at UConn..........she is versatile and athletic enough to also play wing if need be...........I believe Griffin will move way up in the rankings next season if she remains healthy...........I'd like to know what Mikayla Coombs' future is before I moved forward with Griffin but I don't think her possible commitment would effect Horston or Jones' decision one bit...........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To answer Coco's question, I would say both Lauren Cox and A'jia Wilson strung us along with no intention of leaving Texas or S.Carolina
I think that’s a bit of a harsh assessment. Cox & Wilson made decisions that were best for them. Just like CW, ONO, MW, Crystal, Lou, Pheesa and many others who decided to play basketball at UConn.

If Geno got every top player he recruited, that truly would be “bad for women’s basketball.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To answer Coco's question, I would say both Lauren Cox and A'jia Wilson strung us along with no intention of leaving Texas or S.Carolina
Not my recollection at all. Both players visited UCONN I believe UCONN was the last or second to last official visit for both players. I recall both set of parents did their due diligence and was very engaged with the coaching staff during the visits. If I recall correctly ( Ok, I'm sure I do) Mrs. Wilson maintained a spreadsheet of + and - for each school the family visited. That's not the kind of thing someone does when you are stringing a school along. Ultimately both players decided to stay home just like thousands of HS kids do every year.

"I took all my visits and enjoyed each of them. The coaching staffs with each program were phenomenal," Cox said.

No. 1 Prospect Lauren Cox Gives Verbal Commitment To Baylor

"I will be attending the University of South Carolina," said Wilson, who chose South Carolina over Connecticut, North Carolina and Tennessee. "There's really just no place like home."
A'ja Wilson chooses South Carolina

Reaction Score
I think that’s a bit of a harsh assessment. Cox & Wilson made decisions that were best for them. Just like CW, ONO, MW, Crystal, Lou, Pheesa and many others who decided to play basketball at UConn.

If Geno got every top player he recruited, that truly would be “bad for women’s basketball.”

but fun for us................

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not my recollection at all. Both players visited UCONN I believe UCONN was the last or second to last official visit for both players. I recall both set of parents did their due diligence and was very engaged with the coaching staff during the visits. If I recall correctly ( Ok, I'm sure I do) Mrs. Wilson maintained a spreadsheet of + and - for each school the family visited. That's not the kind of thing someone does when you are stringing a school along. Ultimately both players decided to stay home just like thousands of HS kids do every year.

Saying they "strung Geno along" is probably a little harsh but it was also true she was never coming to UConn. Her father was not Geno's biggest fan. What I heard was that Geno had a feeling going in to the visit that she was going to Baylor and the visit confirmed that viewpoint.

Lauren Cox and her family went on a nationwide search for the school down the road and just happened upon some outstanding college football games in their travels (excepting UConn of course). They sure seemed to enjoy themselves.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW, Geno would never tell a kid "we're offering you but you aren't going to get the opportunity for PT". Nor would he say "I guarantee you playing time".

Having said that, Geno and the staff have an "idea" when they recruit kids how good they can be. Some, like Collier, Samuelson, Danger, Walker, Williams and ONO are "expected" to either be starters or earn significant PT throughout their careers. Others like Irwin, Bent, Engeln, Gordon, Gardler, Fernandez, etc. are recruited as role players - expecting they will work hard and fill in gaps when able.

The tough ones are the kids who are somewhat highly rated, but not elite. Michala Johnson, Courtney Ekmark, Brianna Banks, Mikayla Coombs, Boykin, Chong, Batouly Camara. If these kids improve enough, they could be starters or key reserves off the bench, or they could languish there as well.

FWIW I see nothing wrong in offering a kid who the staff feels is a good fit. High character, hard worker, good teammate, etc. As he told Shea Ralph "If you are good enough, you will play a lot. If you suck, you won't"...

Reaction Score
While I agree that loading up on one or two positions may not be a wise choice I also think that going to the same high school as Chong and AEH is a lousy reason to not offer to a player who seems to have everything needed to succeed at UConn. It is just one article but that ESPN piece paints the picture of a person who is self-motivated and driven to succeed. Players start competing against each other for playing time at a very young age. That extends to college. To me a willingness to compete is more important than being able to dominate a parade of mediocre high school players. Paying her way to Colorado and impressing coaches who saw more of her in 4 days than any recruiting service did in the last year, enough to make the final 18, is impressive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I agree that loading up on one or two positions may not be a wise choice I also think that going to the same high school as Chong and AEH is a lousy reason to not offer to a player who seems to have everything needed to succeed at UConn. It is just one article but that ESPN piece paints the picture of a person who is self-motivated and driven to succeed. Players start competing against each other for playing time at a very young age. That extends to college. To me a willingness to compete is more important than being able to dominate a parade of mediocre high school players. Paying her way to Colorado and impressing coaches who saw more of her in 4 days than any recruiting service did in the last year, enough to make the final 18, is impressive.

agreed...................every recruit should be judged on their own merits.............. Griffin's basketball trajectory has been stunted by her ACL injury, if healthy she should be given serious consideration...........Ossining's high school schedule features some easy competition but also some of the better team's in the area..............it's certainly no weaker then that of the schools that many other possible UConn recruits are attending

Reaction Score

That’s the kind of stuff that schools like Baylor, TX and MD do when they bring in 5-6 player classes, only to have half the class transfer out.

It’s really not fair to the kids to bring in more recruits then realistically have an opportunity to play. I’d like to believe that Geno and UConn are better than that.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about over recruiting but UConn is really gambling with this important 2019 class.................they have bypassed a whole bunch of very good players in concentrating on Jones, Boston and Amihere.............they were late to the game with Horston who appears to be a back up for Jones if she goes elsewhere..............there is a real possibility that UConn gets all four but it's just as likely that they get none of them which would be disastrous.......I'll be relieved if they end up with one of the guards/wings and one of the bigs........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with you about over recruiting but UConn is really gambling with this important 2019 class.......they have bypassed a whole bunch of very good players in concentrating on Jones, Boston and Amihere...they were late to the game with Horston who appears to be a back up for Jones if she goes elsewhere....there is a real possibility that UConn gets all four but it's just as likely that they get none of them which would be disastrous..I'll be relieved if they end up with one of the guards/wings and one of the bigs...

We’re making a lot of assumptions about UConn recruiting, when we don’t really know for sure. Per NCAA rules, Geno isn’t telling us who he’s offered and who he hasn’t, or which recruits, if any, have given verbals. All the information we have is from the recruits themselves and from reporting on UConn coaches showing up at various venues to watch recruits play, for in home meetings or the recruits show up at UConn games.

Case in point. Last year, while CW always appeared to be a strong UConn lean, ONO’s commitment, while extremely welcome, was a major surprise.

This year, the situation surrounding Brunelle was bizarre. Either she was offered and UConn pulled the offer, per the mysterious BY poster, Dolphin, or UConn never offered per Ademac’s blog.

Griffin is the 56th ranked player on Hoopgurlz. The only current Huskies who were ranked lower are Molly & Kyla. Beyond basketball talent, we all know that Geno won’t recruit players for a number of reasons that have little to do with basketball.

I have no idea how Geno & his staff evaluate Griffin, but I trust them to make the right call.

Reaction Score
We’re making a lot of assumptions about UConn recruiting, when we don’t really know for sure. Per NCAA rules, Geno isn’t telling us who he’s offered and who he hasn’t, or which recruits, if any, have given verbals. All the information we have is from the recruits themselves and from reporting on UConn coaches showing up at various venues to watch recruits play, for in home meetings or the recruits show up at UConn games.

Case in point. Last year, while CW always appeared to be a strong UConn lean, ONO’s commitment, while extremely welcome, was a major surprise.

This year, the situation surrounding Brunelle was bizarre. Either she was offered and UConn pulled the offer, per the mysterious BY poster, Dolphin, or UConn never offered per Ademac’s blog.

Griffin is the 56th ranked player on Hoopgurlz. The only current Huskies who were ranked lower are Molly & Kyla. Beyond basketball talent, we all know that Geno won’t recruit players for a number of reasons that have little to do with basketball.

I have no idea how Geno & his staff evaluate Griffin, but I trust them to make the right call.

I won't go back over how I know that some highly ranked players were never offered but I'm confident that they were not.....................that's certainly UConn's choice....................I just hope they get the players that they targeted instead.................if not that's a big problem...........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Just an FYI - it was a Courant article from Mike Anthony that said she wasn't offered. I think that's inaccurate as Adamec himself reported her offer two years ago as did local Virginia media.

Reaction Score
Just an FYI - it was a Courant article from Mike Anthony that said she wasn't offered. I think that's inaccurate as Adamec himself reported her offer two years ago as did local Virginia media.

for me the question has always been whether UConn actually pulled the existing offer or whether this was simply a case of a player choosing another program......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom