Another Ossining alum for UCONN? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Ossining alum for UCONN?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
for me the question has always been whether UConn actually pulled the existing offer or whether this was simply a case of a player choosing another program.

All evidence suggests UConn switched focus from her whether or not they pulled the offer.

Reaction Score
All evidence suggests UConn switched focus from her whether or not they pulled the offer.

if that's the case I would have thought they would have first realized the implications of such an action...........it may just cost them the best players in the 2020 and 2021 classes......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
if that's the case I would have thought they would have first realized the implications of such an action......it may just cost them the best players in the 2020 and 2021 classes.
I think that’s a bit overstated. We will probably never know what happened with SB. If Geno did in fact pull the offer, I am absolutely certain he had good reason to do so.

As for the rest of the Classes of 2019, 20 & 21, these kids will all make their decisions based on individual criteria which have little to nothing to do with SB. If anything, SB’s verbal to ND may well open the door for other top players at UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's a dynamic that is not clear to some of us. Not all program's recruiting protocols are the same. Louisville's recruiting protocols can be considered unique. Most programs over recruit for the number of scholarships they have available, knowing they probably will not get all of the recruits they covet.

I'm wondering what is UConn's recruiting protocol? Does anyone here know?

Let's say Geno has 3 scholarships available for the 2019 class. There are 6 players in that class that are on their "want" list. They are listed from 1-6 in order of how coveted they are. Do they offer only the top 3, or do they offer all six, but wait until the top three commit to UConn or another program before they move down the list and offer numbers 4, 5, and 6?

What happens if numbers 5 & 6 commit right away, leaving only 1 scholarship. Does UConn acknowledge the commitments, or wait until the top 3 make a decision before acknowledging the commitments? How does that work?

I can't imagine any program loosing out on the recruit they wanted most because they ran out of scholarships, because that recruit waited until the last minute before making up her mind.
I know that's not how it works. Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu (the last player in her class to commit) waited almost until classes began before she committed. Surprisingly they still had one for her. :rolleyes:
Good question. I was wondering the same myself. I suspect it’s not a hard and fast number. It’s probably based to some degree on how the coaches “feel” about a particular recruit’s interest in UConn.

Last year, UConn had early commits from AEH & Gordon. They got Mikayla late and MW even later. Obviously UConn was going to wait on the #1 player in her class, but 4 recruits, all playing G/W probably created some problems.

I’ve always felt the ideal recruiting class is 3 players, and if you get 2 really good players out of the class, you’re doing OK. At 4 recruits in a class, I start to worry, because PT will be an issue. Beyond 4, you’re almost guaranteed to have issues.

Reaction Score
As for the rest of the Classes of 2019, 20 & 21, these kids will all make their decisions based on individual criteria which have little to nothing to do with SB. If anything, SB’s verbal to ND may well open the door for other top players at UConn.

There have been several posts on more than just this board suggesting that friendship with Brunelle would be the deciding factor on the choice of school for Bueckers and Fudd. I really can't think of a case where an elite player chose a school for that reason. In fact I don't remember any of my fellow HS graduates who were in close relationships deciding to go to school together. My brother went to school in DC while his girl friend (and future wife) went to Boston. And that was long before the internet and video chatting.

No need to fret. An offer from UConn is still considered a golden ticket and they will sign more than their share of elite recruits.

Reaction Score
I think that’s a bit overstated. We will probably never know what happened with SB. If Geno did in fact pull the offer, I am absolutely certain he had good reason to do so.

normally I would agree that personal relationships between recruits has a limited impact on recruiting but it does appear that these two recruits and SB are unusually close.........once she's in college things may change but for now I think ND has a distinct recruiting advantage with the two players in question........in the same vain I believe Nixon and Boston play on the same AAU team and are pretty close..........I don't consider that on the same level but it certainly doesn't hurt ND's chances with Boston

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
normally I would agree that personal relationships between recruits has a limited impact on recruiting but it does appear that these two recruits and SB are unusually close....once she's in college things may change but for now I think ND has a distinct recruiting advantage with the two players in question...in the same vain I believe Nixon and Boston play on the same AAU team and are pretty close.....I don't consider that on the same level but it certainly doesn't hurt ND's chances with Boston
I seem to recall that Stewie & Brittney Sykes played on the same AAU team and were great friends, and even that didn’t keep Stewie home to play with her friend at the Cuse. Mark my word on this. You can bet the ranch that Boston will be a Husky.

Reaction Score
There have been several posts on more than just this board suggesting that friendship with Brunelle would be the deciding factor on the choice of school for Bueckers and Fudd. I really can't think of a case where an elite player chose a school for that reason. In fact I don't remember any of my fellow HS graduates who were in close relationships deciding to go to school together. My brother went to school in DC while his girl friend (and future wife) went to Boston. And that was long before the internet and video chatting.

No need to fret. An offer from UConn is still considered a golden ticket and they will sign more than their share of elite recruits.
See Diamond DeShields and North Carolina for recruiting by friends. Happens more than is acknowledged.

Reaction Score

I’m thinking the one time was when Deshields and her crew went to UNC and we know how that turned out

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields assembled her own squad to attend UNC which consisted of her, Allisha Gray, Stephanie Mavunga & Jessica Washington. In the process UNC had to pull the scholarship for for Bria and Briana Day (both native North Carolina kids) to make room for DeShields' crew.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields assembled her own squad to attend UNC which consisted of her, Allisha Gray, Stephanie Mavunga & Jessica Washington. In the process UNC had to pull the scholarship for for Bria and Briana Day (both native North Carolina kids) to make room for DeShields' crew.

Hatched turned her recruiting over to a 17-year-old and look how that turned out.

The idea that Geno should recruit a kid for fear of losing out on her good friends makes my head hurt.

Reaction Score
Hatched turned her recruiting over to a 17-year-old and look how that turned out.

The idea that Geno should recruit a kid for fear of losing out on her good friends makes my head hurt.

if that kid is a run of the mill player I agree...........if that player is the number one rated player in the country and you have already offered her that's another.........

Reaction Score
LOL. Geno obviously sees it differently.

that's clearly the case.........I'll be the first to congratulate him if his strategy pays off but I'm going to complain like heck if it doesn't...........he's risking an awful lot with some amazingly talented players that could shift the power away from UConn in a big way........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
that's clearly the case....I'll be the first to congratulate him if his strategy pays off but I'm going to complain like heck if it doesn't......he's risking an awful lot with some amazingly talented players that could shift the power away from UConn in a big way...
CB, I know you’re passionate about UConn WBB, and that’s a good thing. But your post suggests a level of inside knowledge about all the interactions between Geno and numerous recruits, plus an understanding of how UConn’s staff evaluates these players.

Geno is light years ahead of all of us when it comes to evaluating players and he is a fantastic recruiter. With that said, recruiting is incredibly challenging, and not for the faint of heart.

Trust the process.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
that's clearly the case....I'll be the first to congratulate him if his strategy pays off but I'm going to complain like heck if it doesn't......he's risking an awful lot with some amazingly talented players that could shift the power away from UConn in a big way...

You do that. I'm sure your congratulations or complaints will mean an awful lot to Geno. Lord knows how he's been able to build the best program in women's basketball without your input.

Reaction Score
You do that. I'm sure your congratulations or complaints will mean an awful lot to Geno. Lord knows how he's been able to build the best program in women's basketball without your input.

thanks for letting me know...........I was expecting a personal note of gratitude from the guy but you've convinced me I shouldn't be waiting for it...........

Reaction Score
CB, I know you’re passionate about UConn WBB, and that’s a good thing. But your post suggests a level of inside knowledge about all the interactions between Geno and numerous recruits, plus an understanding of how UConn’s staff evaluates these players.

Geno is light years ahead of all of us when it comes to evaluating players and he is a fantastic recruiter. With that said, recruiting is incredibly challenging, and not for the faint of heart.

Trust the process.

thanks for that...........I know absolutely nothing about the interactions between Geno and his recruits but I do know about UConn's lack of interactions with certain players.....................perhaps it was ND's winning the championship but for some reason I feel like UConn is losing it's place a bit in the scheme of things...........while other teams are picking up some really useful recruits we wait and wait...........you know how they say at the end of financial commercials past performance is no guaranty of future success.........that's kind of my motto here........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
thanks for that......I know absolutely nothing about the interactions between Geno and his recruits but I do know about UConn's lack of interactions with certain players......perhaps it was ND's winning the championship but for some reason I feel like UConn is losing it's place a bit in the scheme of things......while other teams are picking up some really useful recruits we wait and wait......you know how they say at the end of financial commercials past performance is no guaranty of future success....that's kind of my motto here...
Here’s where I am. There are a number of really talented guards and wings out there. UConn will get their share.

There is only one absolutely necessary recruit in the near term on UConn’s board right now, and that’s Aliyah Boston. Combine Boston with ONO, CW and any other guards or wings and UConn will win several more championships. Add in Amihere and UConn will be unbeatable. Hell, I could play pg on that team. :rolleyes:

The biggest reason that UConn fell short in each of the past two years was the lack of one or more true post players in the starting lineup. Even 6’6” Z never quite established herself in the post.

It’s no accident that UConn won four straight championships with teams that included Stewie, Tuck, Steph & Kiah Stokes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For the record, what is your definition of "paying off"? Because if we were to go by your motto where: "past performance is no guarantee of future success" nothing Geno does will ever be good enough.

Reaction Score
For the record, what is your definition of "paying off"? Because if we were to go by your motto where: "past performance is no guarantee of future success" nothing Geno does will ever be good enough.

for me paying off in terms of recruiting means to successfully bring in the majority of recruits that you have judged to be the best fit for your team..........I think past results have been remarkably good considering it's an inexact science.......

Reaction Score
Here’s where I am. There are a number of really talented guards and wings out there. UConn will get their share.

There is only one absolutely necessary recruit in the near term on UConn’s board right now, and that’s Aliyah Boston. Combine Boston with ONO, CW and any other guards or wings and UConn will win several more championships. Add in Amihere and UConn will be unbeatable. Hell, I could play pg on that team. :rolleyes:

The biggest reason that UConn fell short in each of the past two years was the lack of one or more true post players in the starting lineup. Even 6’6” Z never quite established herself in the post.

It’s no accident that UConn won four straight championships with teams that included Stewie, Tuck, Steph & Kiah Stokes.

as far as I know UConn is interested in only two guards/wings, one of whom is the most in demand player in the country.............Boston has a wide open shot to start at the post as a UConn freshman but has shown no inclination to accept that offer as of yet and the "Black Queen" is a total mystery when it comes to her recruiting situation..............I appreciate that many of you are 100% confident in Geno's power of persuasion...........let's hope that his "charm offensive" eventually works with this group.....

Reaction Score
Sarah Andrews, PG, rated #4 ESPN does not seem to get much discussion on the BY as we talk about Bueckers and Van Lith. What do we know about this Texas kid. Our last PG from Texas wasn't too shabby.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom