another new tweeter | Page 3 | The Boneyard

another new tweeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think I'm in on the next bubble.

Note the spike in the use of the word "Putz"

chart

Reaction Score
Sorry, Nancy, we'll try to gut the English language of any word that might SOUND offensive (even if anyone with a high school education would know otherwise)
Sorry, Nancy, we'll try to gut the English language of any word that might SOUND offensive (even if anyone with a high school education would know otherwise)

I tried to find the post where I said be shouldn't use the word niggardly but I can't find it. If you are going to continue being a condescending mushroom cap perhaps you could at least respond to things I actually say.

My high school sent 100% of graduates to college and I never once heard that word. I've already admitted I was confused at his usage of the word. The rest of the discussion is you making things up to criticize me for. I feel sorry for your mother

Reaction Score
It means stingy, if I remember right from freshman English classes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I tried to find the post where I said be shouldn't use the word niggardly but I can't find it. If you are going to continue being a condescending mushroom cap perhaps you could at least respond to things I actually say.

My high school sent 100% of graduates to college and I never once heard that word. I've already admitted I was confused at his usage of the word. The rest of the discussion is you making things up to criticize me for. I feel sorry for your mother

Is your name not Nancy? I thought that was a weird name for a dude.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Stingy or niggardly, that cracker knew exactly what he was doing when he chose which word to use on a public message board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Stingy or niggardly, that cracker knew exactly what he was doing when he chose which word to use on a public message board.

wow he used a word that is in the english language
GET OVER IT

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
So did I

Happy Thanksgiving!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I asked him a question. I didn't go on a rant and call him names. I didn't respond with hatred or anger. I asked him a question. Usually when someone asks a question, it is a clear signal that they are confused about something.

I wasn't the only one who was taken aback by a word that is used about as often as floccinaucinihilipilification. Which coincidentally describes how many times you've been laid. How else could you have gotten the way you are.

Not sure what floccinaucinihilipilification means?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=floccinaucinihilipilification

LOL. You tried to undermine a poster by implying he is a racist, and get totally busted because of your ignorance of the etymology of the word. The right thing to do in this situation is to simply admit you were wrong.

Or, you could try to deflect by attacking me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I got a "D" on my first thesis paper as a freshman at UConn because my argument was that "if something isn't meant to be offensive, then it isn't offensive." That idea completely disregards the possibility that other people still may actually be offended, rightfully or wrongfully...

That being said, it doesn't take more than 15 seconds to open dictionary.com and search the word.

Do I get to play this game? I find the term "Yankees" offensive because I have Dutch ancestry.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The term "cracker" is offensive, and you knew it when you posted it. You may be trying to be ironic or provocative, but you aren't clever enough to pull either off, so you are just being offensive.

Reaction Score

I hope someday you'll realize how sad it is that this is your view of this situation. You're really that defensive?

I would bet anything Rumrunner didn't think twice about using the word niggardly, because it's a legitimate word. I've never in my life heard someone take offense to it - I'm astonished really.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I don't know why everyone is so up in arms, the term cracker means braggart.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
The term "cracker" is offensive, and you knew it when you posted it. You may be trying to be ironic or provocative, but you aren't clever enough to pull either off, so you are just being offensive.

Sticks and stones, you're the same person who believes everyone is laughing with you on this beg harder kick. As always, you're arrogance not only shows you're stupidity, you're not clever enough to know when you're being made fun of.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I hope someday you'll realize how sad it is that this is your view of this situation. You're really that defensive?

I would bet anything Rumrunner didn't think twice about using the word niggardly, because it's a legitimate word. I've never in my life heard someone take offense to it - I'm astonished really.

The term is a legitimate word. No one is saying otherwise. My personal opinion, a word that has that word in it should be avoided on a message board. In the context of the discussion, he wasn't being racist I know that. Like others, I looked up the word too. Freedom of speech is one thing, but sensitivity with a collective group of people is another. Stingy would have been understood.

F

fortebleedsblue

I should have stopped after page 2, but I kept going through them to see if there was another ACC post......... 6 pages of debating a word is sad.

Reaction Score
I should have stopped after page 2, but I kept going through them to see if there was another ACC post......... 6 pages of debating a word is sad.
To be fair about it, pages used to be 20 posts long, and now appear to be only 10. Why the switch anyways?

Reaction Score
JaYnYcE said:
The term is a legitimate word. No one is saying otherwise. My personal opinion, a word that has that word in it should be avoided on a message board. In the context of the discussion, he wasn't being racist I know that. Like others, I looked up the word too. Freedom of speech is one thing, but sensitivity with a collective group of people is another. Stingy would have been understood.

Niggard doesn't the other word in it. It's got a separate word history, etc. It's further away from the n-word than "nagger" is. Are we not allowed to call someone a nagger, or should people get offended if we do?

I don't know why everyone is so up in arms, the term cracker means braggart.

The fundamental difference between "niggard" and "cracker" is that there is no connection between "niggard" and its pejorative counterpart, etymologically or otherwise. "Cracker" is obviously related, semantically and etymologically, to its pejorative counterpart. While the OED does give your definition, 1746 is the most recent recorded usage. It is not a familiar definition. Whereas, in a context completely unrelated to racial issues, someone uses "niggard," people probably shouldn't read into the racial issues. Clear from context. Same with cracker. But in a discussion about racial implications of a word, to use cracker is of a different order.

I don't care that you used it except that you are trying to equate using a clearly pejorative term to someone else using one that is clearly not. The implications of your offense suggest that we shouldn't refer to our head as a "noggin" nor call an annoying person a "nagger."

Reaction Score
You are right. I fully agree with you. But, of course, I couldn't help myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom