Another need a new tv thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another need a new tv thread

Reaction Score
Some pertinent information. QLED has absolutely nothing to do with OLED other than to confuse consumers into thinking they are the same or similar, THEY ARE NOT. Just Samsung being deliberately misleading. Stay away from LG depending on how old you are, they like to say that LG stands for “Life is good “. L stands for Lucky the biggest wherehouse distributors in Asia company who partnered with ready, almost the G stands for Goldstar the shittiest electronics company who started off making god awful microwave ovens that rarely ever worked and were more likely to catch fire and had no parts of service centers in the USA so they pulled the name off of the market and reinvented themselves as LG. ( who have gotten better but are lower quality). Pretty much everything else out there is generic products and somebody slaps a name on it. Like Pioneer, RCA, Onn and whatever names BEST BUY ( Hisense ? ), is selling these days. Sharp , Toshiba still make most of their own products as far as I know. Good luck.
LG was supplying Sony with OLED screens, but Sony’s processor is the difference.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of a couple years ago when my brother splurged on a 75" LG. I would joke, "Hey, the neighbor across the street just texted me that they're tired of watching football and asked me to relay a channel-change request!"

He has had LG's for a long time; the 55" LG he moved to his bedroom when he got the 75" died just recently, and he'd had it for 15 years. So there's that.

Reaction Score
That's funny. My $350 TCL has performed like a champ for years, I like the built in Roku. I had a Samsung that cost triple and crapped out in 2 years.
Mostly the same, here. I have a 55" connected to my desktop that is crazy good quality and super high refresh rate. Love it. Bought the same model for the living room and love it there, too, though I had to replace the power supply board after only 18 months.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I didn't say I returned it. I bought a $1k TCL that died within the month. They replaced it with a new one. That one died 6 months later, out of warranty.
That is crappy luck. I was simply saying that the Best Buy return rate being high is probably not because they break, but because people bought the cheapest TV and it didn't meet expectations. Best Buy has everything on max brightness and saturation because of the lights in the store. Can't trust what you see there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
LG was supplying Sony with OLED screens, but Sony’s processor is the difference.
It's weird. It was Lucky Goldstar and it was crap. You know what else was crap? Samsung, Hyundai, certainly Kia. But the Koreans figured things out. I trust LG more than Samsung at this point, especially for appliances. Samsung and LG make many of the panels for all the brands. For Monitors too.

Agree with you on the Sony processor. They're the best at that among the main consumer brands. Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision.

Reaction Score
The room is in a new (2019) addition. Only this room is "flickering." And the juice to the house was put underground from the pole to the house when the addition was built.

I'm not sure if such a problem can be at the circuit level.
Had this happen with a dimmer switch that was going bad.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
it's just this room. I'm about to run a cord to the other side of the house just to get the tv working right.
I was going to suggest running an extension cord to another room to see if the problem continues - if not, it's not the set.

Reaction Score
My tv pretty much died this morning. It's turned into a tv/strobe light.

I need to order a new one by tomorrow.

My needs have changed a bit - my eyesight has gotten worse, so bigger and better resolution is needed.

Im toying with the idea of a projector. I'm told they've gotten much better. Not entirely sold on the idea though.

Suggestions?
I installed a projector in our basement about 10 years ago. I bought an inexpensive projector cloth from Amazon at the same time and have a 110 inch screen. I had to replace the original Epson projector once, about 3 years ago with a similar one.

We also have a 65 inch OLED TV in our living room. When it comes to watching sports, there is no comparison - once you're used to watching sports on a big screen, it's hard to go back to a smaller TV.

If you can afford it, get a good 4K projector. What I found is that my 1080p is adequate, there are almost no sports events that are broadcast in 4K.

I'm not a big fan of CGI or super-hero movies, for movies and shows with real people talking (and fighting sometimes), a 1080p projector is more than enough. You can spend the saved money on a nice surround system.

Do let us know what you ended up doing (sorry if you've already posted that, haven't read thru all posts).

Reaction Score
If you can afford it, get a good 4K projector. What I found is that my 1080p is adequate, there are almost no sports events that are broadcast in 4K.
But won't there be a lot more in the not too distant future? I have a 77" Sony Bravia 4K and the only sports on 4K right now are the Red Sox and Bruins, but both only when they are at home, and some Fox sports (including some UConn games and NFL and college football). CBS, ESPN, and ABC haven't had 4K broadcasts yet as far as I know (I could be wrong here but can't remember any).

When I flip between the 4K broadcast and the regular HD there is a difference. The 4K is much crisper and detailed. Is it enough to get a 4K TV? I'd probably say no. But my wife spent a ridiculous amount of money renovating our family room and the only thing I cared about was the TV. So I said, to heck with it, I am spending a lot of money on the 1 thing I will care about in that room. :)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But won't there be a lot more in the not too distant future? I have a 77" Sony Bravia 4K and the only sports on 4K right now are the Red Sox and Bruins, but both only when they are at home, and some Fox sports (including some UConn games and NFL and college football). CBS, ESPN, and ABC haven't had 4K broadcasts yet as far as I know (I could be wrong here but can't remember any).

When I flip between the 4K broadcast and the regular HD there is a difference. The 4K is much crisper and detailed. Is it enough to get a 4K TV? I'd probably say no. But my wife spent a ridiculous amount of money renovating our family room and the only thing I cared about was the TV. So I said, to heck with it, I am spending a lot of money on the 1 thing I will care about in that room. :)
You probably can't even find anything but the cheapest TV that isn't 4K now. The 8K TVs are coming out. Projectors are behind panels, so a 4K projector like they suggested is still expensive.

I think Amazon football broadcasts are 4K, not sure.

Reaction Score
You probably can't even find anything but the cheapest TV that isn't 4K now. The 8K TVs are coming out. Projectors are behind panels, so a 4K projector like they suggested is still expensive.

I think Amazon football broadcasts are 4K, not sure.
I got mine a year ago and 4K TVs were definitely a lot more expensive. Have things moved that quickly? I figured they wouldn't until there was more programming in 4K and since a year ago there hasn't been more sports in 4K. Not sure about other programming.

Not sure about Amazon Prime football in 4K. It does look good but I don't get a notification that the game is in 4K like I do with the other channels (the box that comes up to change to the 4K station or dismiss the message and stay in regular HD). Looked it up and here's what it says:

No, Amazon Prime Video does not stream NFL games in 4K. Instead, Amazon Prime Video streams NFL games in 1080p Full HD with HDR (High Dynamic Range) and 60 frames per second (fps).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom