Another need a new tv thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another need a new tv thread

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've been buying Sony's for a while now. I really like the built in Google TV and the OLED on my 65" family room one is amazing. You can get a non-OLED for less - I just like the picture on the Sony to be better than thte Samsung and LG - looking at them side by side.

Additionally you might want to have your eyesight checked. My eyesight was getting less near sighted but harder to focus and it turns out I had a cataract in my left eye. You don't have to be old to have cataracts, just older (can't remember how old you are Tom!)! I had both eyes done and lasik at the same time and my eyesight is amazing now. Need glasses to read and do computer work but that's it.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Samsung is my ‘go to’ for my main living room TV.

Or….
IMG_8592.jpeg

Reaction Score
A couple of months ago I bought a 77-inch OLED LG C3 (last year’s model) and it’s fine. Got it on sale, much cheaper than the current model (C4) and it does everything I need. Also have a 65-inch LG C1 (2021 model year) that is our workhorse TV in the living room, great picture. Also have a 8-year-old Samsung 50” for the bedroom and have had zero problems.

The interesting takeaway from shopping for my most recent TV came from a Best Buy salesman, who said to stay away from the TCL and Hisense brands because they were the TVs that were most returned, at a rate nearly double that of other TV brands.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Samsung in here -- I just got a 55" Q72D QLED and hope it's worth the $800.
I dropped $1200 on a Samsung QN series QLED a couple years ago. Picture is awesome. Built In apps are terrible. I have to clear the cache weekly. But it's a great TV, especially for sports and gaming. Couldnt justify an OLED with a giant window in my living room, and it's really hard to tell the difference between this screen and a similar vintage OLED

Reaction Score
I dropped $1200 on a Samsung QN series QLED a couple years ago. Picture is awesome. Built In apps are terrible. I have to clear the cache weekly. But it's a great TV, especially for sports and gaming. Couldnt justify an OLED with a giant window in my living room, and it's really hard to tell the difference between this screen and a similar vintage OLED
Get Apple TV. Probably the best 100 ish dollars you can spend

Reaction Score
Got a 75 inch TCL a couple years ago for $850 and have been super happy. Absolutely bonkers how cheap 4K TVs are now. Can definitely get better picture but you have to pay a lot more before you start to get really meaningful improvement.

Reaction Score
The room is in a new (2019) addition. Only this room is "flickering." And the juice to the house was put underground from the pole to the house when the addition was built.

I'm not sure if such a problem can be at the circuit level.
Is the room all on one circuit? Generally lights/outlets are different (but not required). If it’s all one circuit, could very well be a bad breaker, loose connection to the panel or breaker by one of the wires, or possibly overloaded.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A couple of months ago I bought a 77-inch OLED LG C3 (last year’s model) and it’s fine. Got it on sale, much cheaper than the current model (C4) and it does everything I need. Also have a 65-inch LG C1 (2021 model year) that is our workhorse TV in the living room, great picture. Also have a 8-year-old Samsung 50” for the bedroom and have had zero problems.

The interesting takeaway from shopping for my most recent TV came from a Best Buy salesman, who said to stay away from the TCL and Hisense brands because they were the TVs that were most returned, at a rate nearly double that of other TV brands.
I considered a 77" C3 last year, didn't pull the trigger. Will look at prices.

Here's my sense of things:
  • Good/Large TV for Movie watching in darker room - Sony, LG (maybe Samsung) Top tier LCD they sell or OLED.
  • Cheap 40-50" TV for bright room TV watching, news, kids shows etc - TCL/Hisense mid-high tier LCD.
The TCL tvs are fine. A $200-$300 TV isn't meant to last forever. People returning TVs are likely buying the lower tier TVs. I don't care which brand you buy, don't but the cheapest/low feature version. I made that mistake with a Samsung behind my basement bar. It blows.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't care which brand you buy, don't but the cheapest/low feature version. I made that mistake with a Samsung behind my basement bar. It blows.
I wonder how much of it is just getting lucky? My Samsung was a Consumer Reports Best Buy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wonder how much of it is just getting lucky? My Samsung was a Consumer Reports Best Buy.
I think it's about expectations. The bottom tier LCDs with limited HDMI inputs and lousy processing are not really going to make streamed content look very good. No matter what brand. The panels may be 720p or 1080p but the real gap is the processing engine.

I think the TCL and Hisense get returned because people who are extreme budget shoppers are likely to go to the cheapest brands. Also, the default settings for many TVs are terrible.

Reaction Score
I considered a 77" C3 last year, didn't pull the trigger. Will look at prices.

Here's my sense of things:
  • Good/Large TV for Movie watching in darker room - Sony, LG (maybe Samsung) Top tier LCD they sell or OLED.
  • Cheap 40-50" TV for bright room TV watching, news, kids shows etc - TCL/Hisense mid-high tier LCD.
The TCL tvs are fine. A $200-$300 TV isn't meant to last forever. People returning TVs are likely buying the lower tier TVs. I don't care which brand you buy, don't but the cheapest/low feature version. I made that mistake with a Samsung behind my basement bar. It blows.
Basically if you want a high end tv, if the room is dark and you want perfect black levels, get an OLED. If the room has some natural light or if you really like sharp bright colors, get a QLED

Reaction Score
I think it's about expectations. The bottom tier LCDs with limited HDMI inputs and lousy processing are not really going to make streamed content look very good. No matter what brand. The panels may be 720p or 1080p but the real gap is the processing engine.

I think the TCL and Hisense get returned because people who are extreme budget shoppers are likely to go to the cheapest brands. Also, the default settings for many TVs are terrible.
I didn't say I returned it. I bought a $1k TCL that died within the month. They replaced it with a new one. That one died 6 months later, out of warranty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom