Another Bad Sign | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Bad Sign

Reaction Score
I don't believe in the 4 year building thing!

We've been building since our last NC. If not for a lucky shot by Jalen Adams our resume after the life of Calhoun would be worse. We've had double digit losses every damn year since all of JC's players have departed. And I cant remember the last time we beat a top 25 team that was still 25 at end of year. And I will not get over the Saint Joe's lost until the end of the season. (Foams at the mouth and breaths hard) lol

Reaction Score
The December/January "why can't we be Rutgers" post has become a tradition around here the last couple years.

Have yet to see any posts about Rutgers in March and doubt we will this year either.

Reaction Score
lol, Rutgers better get their jabs in now. Perhaps one of the only times, at least in my lifetime, that they are...perhaps...better than UConn (since 1995 Uconn is 21-2 vs Rutgers). I dunno, on a neutral court I think UConn could still take them if they played like they did vs WSU, Nova and Xavier (maybe Indiana too)....at home, UConn, don't care if they are ranked, I think they would break their poor streak vs ranked teams. @Rutgers is a different story, I know that place was always a beast to play in but UConn usually seemed to pull out a tight win. Maybe not this year, I will admit. If they played at least as well as they did @Nova though (Nov IS better), I think they'd win by a few though. Any worse though, no.
UConn would not beat Rutgers this year home or away. Get real.

Reaction Score
But they did beat Florida and lost to Xavier ( ranked higher than Rutgers) in double overtime, lost to W.S ( ranked higher than Rutgers) in double overtime, and just lost to Villanova ( ranked higher than Rutgers) after leading most of the game in Philadelphia..... so I think you should back up your statement with something more substantial than “ get real”.

Reaction Score
Pikeill has put together a good team, even though he hasn't recruited top rated players which speaks to his player evaluation and coaching. It looks like he has developed a team that can play the style he wants, unlike Hurley as he is in year 4. That said, the goal at Rutgers is to become respectable and the goal at UConn is to win a national championship which means you have to take different approaches to achieve your goals.

To see how Pikiell has done it, look at a kid like Ron Harper, Jr. Son of Ron Harper, so you know he has good basketball genes. Was 6'6" 200 lbs in high school, rated 3*s, and offers from Fairleigh Dickinson, Georgia St., Howard, Illinois-Chicago, Miami (OH), Nebraska, Radford. This is his sophomore year and he is now 6'6" 245 lbs. and the leading scorer and second highest rebounder. He is a great get for Rutgers.

Also, look at the size of Rutgers starters:

6'4" 205 lbs. G
6'7" 190 lbs. G
6'6" 245 lbs. G/F
6'6" 230 lbs. F
6'11" 255 lbs. C

They look pretty physical and they have more size on the bench. One of the top defensive teams in the country, but not a good 3 point shooting team.

Reaction Score

Get real huh. I know they're pretty good in a real inconsistent and overrated B10 and hell we know they're well coached he's one of our own. But in case you're not watching college basketball after you leave the Top 5 which even those I doubt, there's a ton of teams who can beat anyone or lose to anyone on a given night. Teams playing in the 50's every night and 60's into OT. I mean just the way our guys play defense we can play with RU on any given night so you're get real may need to be sent back at you. You can doubt us winning all you want at The Rack who's to blame you there but at home, no doubt our Huskies can play with them not that big of a chore.

Reaction Score
Pikeill has put together a good team, even though he hasn't recruited top rated players which speaks to his player evaluation and coaching. It looks like he has developed a team that can play the style he wants, unlike Hurley as he is in year 4. That said, the goal at Rutgers is to become respectable and the goal at UConn is to win a national championship which means you have to take different approaches to achieve your goals.

To see how Pikiell has done it, look at a kid like Ron Harper, Jr. Son of Ron Harper, so you know he has good basketball genes. Was 6'6" 200 lbs in high school, rated 3*s, and offers from Fairleigh Dickinson, Georgia St., Howard, Illinois-Chicago, Miami (OH), Nebraska, Radford. This is his sophomore year and he is now 6'6" 245 lbs. and the leading scorer and second highest rebounder. He is a great get for Rutgers.

Also, look at the size of Rutgers starters:

6'4" 205 lbs. G
6'7" 190 lbs. G
6'6" 245 lbs. G/F
6'6" 230 lbs. F
6'11" 255 lbs. C

They look pretty physical and they have more size on the bench. One of the top defensive teams in the country, but not a good 3 point shooting team.
Thank you for pointing out the name of Ron Harper Jr's father. I never would have figured that out on my own ;)

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Wait, Rutgers hasn’t been ranked for 40 years? That can’t be true ...

Reaction Score
Get real huh. I know they're pretty good in a real inconsistent and overrated B10 and hell we know they're well coached he's one of our own. But in case you're not watching college basketball after you leave the Top 5 which even those I doubt, there's a ton of teams who can beat anyone or lose to anyone on a given night. Teams playing in the 50's every night and 60's into OT. I mean just the way our guys play defense we can play with RU on any given night so you're get real may need to be sent back at you. You can doubt us winning all you want at The Rack who's to blame you there but at home, no doubt our Huskies can play with them not that big of a chore.
[/QUOT
What did UConn do at home against St. Joe's? Humiliated by USF in an empty arena in Tampa. I watch a lot of basketball. I always hope Rutgers loses, but they have a very physical team that would wipe the floor with this UConn team. Sorry to be so negative, but it is what I see for this year. UConn will likely be in last place in the AAC after Thursday. That says a lot.

Reaction Score
ahhh. Dark times. Rutgers getting props while UConn floats barely above .500- when will the 5 year nightmare end? Even sorry ass Rutgers is on the come up. Lord.

Reaction Score
Sadly I agree with Buddy on this. Almost winning isn’t the same as winning. If it were the Super Bowl would be The Jets against Arizona. And hanging your hat on a victory over a pretty average Florida team in November is kind of sad really.

UConn isn’t physically strong, lacks a consistent true scorer and doesn’t have a true point guard. Not to even mention a reliable 3 point shooter. I wouldn’t want to play Rutgers here or in New Jersey.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sadly I agree with Buddy on this. Almost winning isn’t the same as winning. If it were the Super Bowl would be The Jets against Arizona. And hanging your hat on a victory over a pretty average Florida team in November is kind of sad really.

UConn isn’t physically strong, lacks a consistent true scorer and doesn’t have a true point guard. Not to even mention a reliable 3 point shooter. I wouldn’t want to play Rutgers here or in New Jersey.
Who here wants to see Freescooter play Rutgers anywhere?

I'm not sure who it reflects upon more, but sadness about agreeing with @buddy is generally an appropriate response.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
It has been an underwhelming year so far but the last two games have been competitive and dear I say fun to watch. The team is too flawed offensively to do anything extraordinary this year. If they hang their hat on D they should be tough beat the rest of the season. Also, I'm enjoying how Sid Wilson has been playing. Had a couple of tough calls go against him vs. Nova but he is game is better recently.

Reaction Score
This season is Pikiell's 4th year at Rutgers and Hurley's 2nd year at UConn.
I personally don't think our rebuild should take 4 years. I get this takes time but Pikiell was given so much less and we also shouldn't be comparing our program with Rutgers. The original plan was for Hurley to have things substantially turned around by the start of year 3, gonna hold him to that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom