Another angry voice: UConn is Leaning Hard Into Not Caring About Football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another angry voice: UConn is Leaning Hard Into Not Caring About Football

Reaction Score
I think that the scheduling won't matter much if UConn does not recruit...playing a good schedule and having losing season after losing season would be a football killer.

Have to, must.....recruit better.

Reaction Score
I don’t think they’ll be able to schedule like BYU but I do think they can schedule substantially better than UMass
I hope it's substantially better, but I'm worried it will be far closer to UMass' than BYU's.

Reaction Score
I hope it's substantially better, but I'm worried it will be far closer to UMass' than BYU's.

That’s fair, I think it’s something everyone is worried about (and I wouldn’t be surprised if it is loser to UMass’ the first couple of years).

But why are you so pessimistic about it, especially with all the “hints and whispers” about the types of teams we are scheduling?

Reaction Score
That’s fair, I think it’s something everyone is worried about (and I wouldn’t be surprised if it is loser to UMass’ the first couple of years).

But why are you so pessimistic about it, especially with all the “hints and whispers” about the types of teams we are scheduling?
I don't buy into hints and whispers. We've been fooled too many times by hints and whispers only to end up with kick after kick to the nuts.

This board has an over-inflated view of UConn Football's value/brand. We are not the draw people think we are. We never were. Yes we enjoyed success in the big east accomplishing more in a decade than Rutgers ever did. But nobody cares because the big east got no respect anyway. UConn effectively killed the BCS system by winning that 3 team tie-breaker.

tl;dr - because on a national level, our football program is far closer to UMass' than it is to BYU's.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that the scheduling won't matter much if UConn does not recruit...playing a good schedule and having losing season after losing season would be a football killer.

Have to, must.....recruit better.
Chicken and the egg kind of a thing. Better schedules bring better recruits. We need to do both. Using one to leverage the other.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Personally, I am embracing everyone one of these doom predicting articles. Look this thing will go one of two ways. It will either the beginning of the end for our FBS football hopes or it won't be. If we can make it work, and it is looking increasingly possible, then this will become and great narrative of how we beat the odds, shifted the paradigm, etc.
Wouldn't it be ironic if going Independent was the way to a P5 invite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't buy into hints and whispers. We've been fooled too many times by hints and whispers only to end up with kick after kick to the nuts.

This board has an over-inflated view of UConn Football's value/brand. We are not the draw people think we are. We never were. Yes we enjoyed success in the big east accomplishing more in a decade than Rutgers ever did. But nobody cares because the big east got no respect anyway. UConn effectively killed the BCS system by winning that 3 team tie-breaker.

tl;dr - because on a national level, our football program is far closer to UMass' than it is to BYU's.

Yeah I mean, nothing you say here is wrong. I would quibble with the idea that we are viewed closer to UMass as UConn is a far far FAR more recognizable “brand” nationally amongst sports fans.

Nonetheless, I guess it just comes down to trust. There’ll be a lot of reputable people with eggs on their face if these schedules chalk full of brand name teams don’t come to fruition.

Reaction Score

Yea and to me, even if you buy into the hints and whispers, hearing from a bunch of teams is one thing but you still need to figure everything out logistically for 12 games, year after year. I'm hoping for the best but need to see it to believe it that this move will be good for football.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean, nothing you say here is wrong. I would quibble with the idea that we are viewed closer to UMass as UConn is a far far FAR more recognizable “brand” nationally amongst sports fans.
Basketball, yes.

Not football. We are a laughingstock in football. Left at the alter of conference realignment several times. The losing on the field, the losing in realignment, the Civil ConFLiCT, coach Vineyard Vines fired, Pasqualoni fired, attendance nearing Hartford City FC levels, loss of SNY....

UConn football, as much as I've loved it the past 15+ years, has gone from a meteoric rise to a national laughingstock only made marginally less embarrassing by the "they have pretty good basketball though" comments.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah. Those of us who bought season tix and attended not just basketball games but soccer, hockey, baseball as well as football and wanted UConn to compete at a high level in all sports , not maybe just one. Yeah it’s people like that who are more football fans than UConn fans. Honestly I have the opposite view. This was pushed by basketball only fans who have from day 1 undercut the football program and resented its success because it competed for resources and attention in their minds with their basketball team. They have this nostalgia for the old Big East that won’t even recognize that the remainder plus Butler and Xavier and some Catholic school from Nebraska is the Big East in name only.
This how I felt for the week after the new broke. I don't feel this way at the moment. For as much lobbying they did on Twitter, I don't think basketball-onlys had as much influence. I think it's been years in the making. At least as long as Benedict has been here. They were going to see how the second contract negotiations were going to play out. Once the deal was announced (paywall, loss of Tier 3, pay for non-football media production), the decision made itself.

The Big East is that in name only though. You are not wrong about that. Five of UConn's seven best former Big East rivals are in the ACC.

Reaction Score
If UConn can schedule as successfully as BYU...there is a chance that a good Husky program could become relevant.

This season, BYU plays Southern Cal, Utah, Tennessee, Washington, USF, & Boise State.

2020...Michigan State, Arizona St., Minnesota, Missouri, Houston, Stanford, Boise State.

2021...Southern Cal, Washington St, Boise State, Arizon St., Utah, Baylor, Virginia

If UConn can schedule similar programs but with a more eastern orientation, they will have opportunities.
BYU has no problem filling late season slots?

Reaction Score
Basketball, yes.

Not football. We are a laughingstock in football. Left at the alter of conference realignment several times. The losing on the field, the losing in realignment, the Civil ConFLiCT, coach Vineyard Vines fired, Pasqualoni fired, attendance nearing Hartford City FC levels, loss of SNY....

UConn football, as much as I've loved it the past 15+ years, has gone from a meteoric rise to a national laughingstock only made marginally less embarrassing by the "they have pretty good basketball though" comments.

They not not connected, though.

The school as an entirety is a brand.

Plus arranging football schedules by offering basketball games is still on the table.

Reaction Score
Basketball, yes.

Was UCF a laughing stock when they went 0-10? Is Rob Ambrose a laughing stock, or Todd Orlando, or Joe Morehead? All former UConn assistants. Was UConn a laughing stock when they won the Big East title in football just a few years ago, or when got invited to the Fiesta Bowl?

Reaction Score
Was UCF a laughing stock when they went 0-10? Is Rob Ambrose a laughing stock, or Todd Orlando, or Joe Morehead? All former UConn assistants. Was UConn a laughing stock when they won the Big East title in football just a few years ago, or when got invited to the Fiesta Bowl?
1) Yes UCF was a laughingstock at 0-10. Never seen a winless team NOT be a laughingstock. And they have nothing to do with us. Literally nothing. We're discussing UConn football's national appeal, and you bring up another school. Do you need more evidence that when it comes to over-inflating UConn football's national appeal you are exhibit A? Okay..
2) nobody thinks about UConn when they think about Ambrose, Orlando or Morehead. They haven't elevated UConn football's brand. Unless you're argument is.."UConn, great stepping stone for coaches!"
3) Yes. UConn was still pretty much a laughingstock both times we won a share of the "Big Least". Our winning it, was used as evidence that the conference was trash, rather than merely a success story.
4) UConn's Fiesta Bowl appearance was the death of the BCS system. Sending an 8 win team at a basketball school from what (fairly or not) was widely considered the weakest of the BCS conferences literally was the nail in the coffin. We changed the system with that appearance, and it's done nothing but harm to us since.
5) The fact you have to bring up coaches who have made their name AT OTHER SCHOOLS shows how out of touch you are with UConn's perception on a national level.

Please don't bother responding, you're out of touch with reality here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes... we singlehandedly killed the BCS system (google away).
Oh yeah! Well were we a laughingstock when we beat (FCS school) Towson by two touchdowns!!??

Oh wait...

Reaction Score
Yes... we singlehandedly (@ 8-4) killed the BCS system (Google away).
1) Yes UCF was a laughingstock at 0-10. Never seen a winless team NOT be a laughingstock. And they have nothing to do with us. Literally nothing. We're discussing UConn football's national appeal, and you bring up another school. Do you need more evidence that when it comes to over-inflating UConn football's national appeal you are exhibit A? Okay..
2) nobody thinks about UConn when they think about Ambrose, Orlando or Morehead. They haven't elevated UConn football's brand.
3) Yes. UConn was still pretty much a laughingstock both times we won a share of the "Big Least". Our winning it, was used as evidence that the conference was trash, rather than merely a success story.
4) UConn's Fiesta Bowl appearance was the death of the BCS system. Sending an 8 win team at a basketball school from what (fairly or not) was widely considered the weakest of the BCS conferences literally was the nail in the coffin. We changed the system with that appearance, and it's done nothing but harm to us since.
5) The fact you have to bring up coaches who have made their name AT OTHER SCHOOLS shows how out of touch you are with UConn's perception on a national level.

Please don't bother responding, you're out of touch with reality here.
Then why do you waste your time posting on a UConn football fan board, if it's a laughing stock. So your job on the Boneyard football board is to "educate" fans and bring them back to reality. It no wonder they can't sell season tickets with fans like you rooting the team on. Sounds to me like someone has an axe to grind.

Husky25

Reaction Score
... or a least a route to monetizing our media rights at a competitive level.
This is what I've come to realize. Without considering ticket sales, UConn will probably be able to net more media revenue with all sports in the Big East and Indy Football. Will it be the $10M some considered the target for the AAC deal? I think it will be closer to that than had UConn remained in the AAC.

Reaction Score
They not not connected, though.

The school as an entirety is a brand.

Plus arranging football schedules by offering basketball games is still on the table.
They really aren't though.

Does anyone view Duke Football through a better lens due to the basketball team?
Does anyone think of basketball when you say the name Alabama?
Kansas Jayhawks. One of the best environments for CBB and one of the biggest names. Kansas football? Not remotely the same.

Thank God we can offer basketball games....that's more evidence that the brands are not the same. We have to use basketball to sell football, because people aren't buying football until we get back to winning...no amount of national titles in other sports will change that. We need to leverage basketball because the football brand is so poor.

Reaction Score
They really aren't though.

Does anyone view Duke Football through a better lens due to the basketball team?
Does anyone think of basketball when you say the name Alabama?
Kansas Jayhawks. One of the best environments for CBB and one of the biggest names. Kansas football? Not remotely the same.

Thank God we can offer basketball games....that's more evidence that the brands are not the same. We have to use basketball to sell football, because people aren't buying football until we get back to winning...no amount of national titles in other sports will change that. We need to leverage basketball because the football brand is so poor.

Your last paragraph directly contradicts your opening argument.

I agree with the last paragraph. We are a basketball power, we are not a football power.

Let’s see if we can leverage the basketball power to help schedule better football games.

No need to chicken little quite yet.

Reaction Score
Then why do you waste your time posting on a UConn football fan board, if it's a laughing stock. So your job on the Boneyard football board is to "educate" fans and bring them back to reality. It no wonder they can't sell season tickets with fans like you rooting the team on. Sounds to me like someone has an axe to grind.
Why do you worry about how I spend my time? Where did I say my job was to educate people like you? I'd never accept that job. The pay is crap, the hours are long, and at the end of the day, you end up with people like you thinking that fans are the problem. Rather than the fact that UConn football has not had a winning season since the iPad was invented.

You know you lost this disagreement right? Because you're focusing on me, rather than trying to back up the ridiculous post you made.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom