Announcements I'd most like at B.E. Media Day... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Announcements I'd most like at B.E. Media Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, I'm not the one seeing the world through colored lenses. I try my very best to make statements based on data that I can present, and I would like to think that I have presented that data in this case as well. I'm not some crazy person that spouts off random ideas without having some basis for spouting them.

However, you seem to be the type of person that finds it incredibly difficult when you have an idea in your head to displace that idea. In this instance, all you had to say was, "Good find on the articles. I'm still skeptical, but it clearly isn't just a 'Boneyard' thing like I said it was." But that would have required you to adjust your stance on something. I'm just not sure your capable of that. That's why I said that I love your "stick-to-it-iveness"!

I guess you can't take the advice and ignore? I admitted I had seen the Johnson quote after the reminder. It is a positive thing so I don't see why others didn't pile on if true. That doesn't mean it isn't true, but that is a legitimate point.

I've adjusted my stance on plenty of things. I do have strong opinions and I do generally stick with them until I see a reason to change. I don't think NBC will put the league on the broadcast network. They might and I could be wrong, but I don't think it will happen. If that proves to be wrong, I'll gladly admit it because it's a good thing for the league.

If Memphis or Temple end up being good additions I'll gladly say I was wrong. I'm not really sweating that though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For NBC it's only dumb if they severely overpay. It's not like they have anything else anyone wants to watch.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I guess you can't take the advice and ignore? I admitted I had seen the Johnson quote after the reminder. It is a positive thing so I don't see why others didn't pile on if true. That doesn't mean it isn't true, but that is a legitimate point.

I've adjusted my stance on plenty of things. I do have strong opinions and I do generally stick with them until I see a reason to change. I don't think NBC will put the league on the broadcast network. They might and I could be wrong, but I don't think it will happen. If that proves to be wrong, I'll gladly admit it because it's a good thing for the league.

If Memphis or Temple end up being good additions I'll gladly say I was wrong. I'm not really sweating that though.

Ignore? When you ask me to look for more references than Johnson for you?? I suppose I should have just ignored you, as it turns out. And I didn't say that you failed to acknowledge the Johnson quote; you clearly acknowledged that. What I was saying is that you continued to say that being on the main NBC network was a "Boneyard only" idea, when it clearly wasn't. That's the part that I can't understand why you continued to ignore.

But you're right about the fact that I should take my own advice; sometimes I'm smarter than me. :eek:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ignore? When you ask me to look for more references than Johnson for you?? I suppose I should have just ignored you, as it turns out. And I didn't say that you failed to acknowledge the Johnson quote; you clearly acknowledged that. What I was saying is that you continued to say that being on the main NBC network was a "Boneyard only" idea, when it clearly wasn't. That's the part that I can't understand why you continued to ignore.

But you're right about the fact that I should take my own advice; sometimes I'm smarter than me. :eek:

Sorry I was asking if anyone had anyone else connected to the league saying that.

The other two links where sheer Boneyard like conjecture and bleacher report.

Johnson's quote is a legitimate piece of news. Can you tell me why if it's true no one else has mentioned it? I guess there might be a reason but it's an awful lot of people keeping a secret.

I'm all for network NBC if the money is there. I'm not for NBCS only, unless they overpay to make up for the lack of exposure. NBCS only is death to the league. We'd miss the national derision because that is better than getting ignored.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Dan, you're one of my favorite BY members, so don't take this as a personal attack, but I strongly disagree with you here.

The newest AD to the Big East mentions NBC and then a couple of blog sites mention it as well. To me that doesn't mean anything and it's just pure speculation and not proof of anything.

Network NBC would be great if we got football on their all day Saturday before and after Notre Dame and during the hoops season we had featured games on NBC (like CBS does on the weekend). However, I just don't see that happening.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Johnson's quote is a legitimate piece of news. Can you tell me why if it's true no one else has mentioned it? I guess there might be a reason but it's an awful lot of people keeping a secret.

Could it be that the top Big East brass isn't supposed to comment on the particulars of that meeting because ESPN is supposed to have a period of exclusivity in contract negotiations? (I don't know that is the answer; I'm just speculating as to why) There are a number of reasons that the Big East leadership hasn't talked in depth about that presentation or the FOX presentation, one being a touch of stupidity. But it's possible that they felt that Johnson, who isn't yet "part of" the Big East, could blabber on freely about the presentation and the Big East not worry about the fact that he leaked it.

This is where I queue up BizLaw, who is infinitely more knowledgeable in terms of negotiation exclusivity periods than I am.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, you're one of my favorite BY members, so don't take this as a personal attack, but I strongly disagree with you here.

The newest AD to the Big East mentions NBC and then a couple of blog sites mention it as well. To me that doesn't mean anything and it's just pure speculation and not proof of anything.

Network NBC would be great if we got football on their all day Saturday before and after Notre Dame and during the hoops season we had featured games on NBC (like CBS does on the weekend). However, I just don't see that happening.

I appreciate the compliment, and I didn't take your post to be a personal attack (it was quite mild, actually!). I think that I should be clear as to what I was trying to say, albeit 4 pages ago. I believe that the main NBC channel and the bracketing of the marquis games around the ND game is on the table. That, however, does not mean that I know it to be true. I am only basing that belief on the information that I gathered; some of which I linked in the posts. And I will be the first to admit that some of the links are just outside people (like Bleacher Report....I just threw up a little in my mouth) that are speculating on the situation entirely.

But my point was that if outside people are speculating on it and if an AD of a soon-to-be member commented on it, it seems like it has legs. That's all. I'm not saying I was in the board room. There's no problem with you or Whaler being skeptical about whether the main NBC channel happens or not. But hopefully you will both admit that it seems like it may be an option to be placed on the table.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I appreciate the compliment, and I didn't take your post to be a personal attack (it was quite mild, actually!). I think that I should be clear as to what I was trying to say, albeit 4 pages ago. I believe that the main NBC channel and the bracketing of the marquis games around the ND game is on the table. That, however, does not mean that I know it to be true. I am only basing that belief on the information that I gathered; some of which I linked in the posts. And I will be the first to admit that some of the links are just outside people (like Bleacher Report....I just threw up a little in my mouth) that are speculating on the situation entirely.

But my point was that if outside people are speculating on it and if an AD of a soon-to-be member commented on it, it seems like it has legs. That's all. I'm not saying I was in the board room. There's no problem with you or Whaler being skeptical about whether the main NBC channel happens or not. But hopefully you will both admit that it seems like it may be an option to be placed on the table.

It is certainly something NBC could use to sweeten their deal, and it may be strategic having Johnson leak it. That being said I have zero faith in the ability of the Big East to negotiate well, nevermind actually coordinate the public statements of 19 or 20 schools or however many are in the league right now.

Linking to B/r is like someone who wants Rice, Duke and Tulane to join forces linking to a Waylon post. It's a million monkeys at a million keyboards.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Linking to B/r is like someone who wants Rice, Duke and Tulane to join forces linking to a Waylon post. It's a million monkeys at a million keyboards.

In fairness to me, I was just grabbing the first ones that I saw on the Google search and quoting their excerpts. In the future, I will deduct points from myself if I include them in a post. I'm one of the many "fans" who think they belong in my septic system...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The more I think about it the more NBC should be the goal. They've been acquired by Comcast, the leading cable provider. That's a side I want to be on, they own the network and the pipeline. NBCSN is still brand-new. People are finding about where the channel is during the Olympics. It's a basic channel on Comcast, right next to ESPN on my father's cable. They are going to promote the Big East, as opposed to just sticking it in a closet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In fairness to me, I was just grabbing the first ones that I saw on the Google search and quoting their excerpts. In the future, I will deduct points from myself if I include them in a post. I'm one of the many "fans" who think they belong in my septic system...

In fairness to you that was me making fun of b/r and Waylon. If only he'd make slideshows for us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For NBC it's only dumb if they severely overpay. It's not like they have anything else anyone wants to watch.

It goes without saying that it is foolish to severely overpay. It also is foolish to underpay, however. NBC needs a way into this market. The Big East is it's foot in the door. If it underpays, so that it is financial beneficial for a school to jump ship, the conference is at risk and therefore their considerable investment, much of which is here in Connecticut, is also at risk.

Accordingly, NBC needs to 'right price' this deal, paying the lowest possible amount that keeps the conference stable. I suggest that that price is at least equal to the ACC deal, and probably just a bit higher. Quality of the games is largely irrelevant. Yeah, I'd rather watch the average B!G or SEC game, but those aren't available to the NBC. Coincidently that pricing point makes a compelling case that the Big Five is the still the Big Six.

We will do well as a conference if we stay the course and, of course, if the conference leadership doesn't screw it up. It's the latter part of that sentence that scares the crap out of me.

pj

Reaction Score
NBC needs to 'right price' this deal, paying the lowest possible amount that keeps the conference stable. I suggest that that price is at least equal to the ACC deal, and probably just a bit higher. Quality of the games is largely irrelevant. Yeah, I'd rather watch the average B!G or SEC game, but those aren't available to the NBC. Coincidently that pricing point makes a compelling case that the Big Five is the still the Big Six.

I'd like to believe this will happen, but most Big East schools seem to be reconciled to getting significantly less than the ACC. Unless Fox emerges as a major bidder, it's hard to see that NBC will have competitive pressure to pay something similar to the ACC. I agree that if they were forced to, it might well make business sense for them to do so.

The other possibility is a deal with incentives -- a relatively low fixed payout, say half what the ACC gets, but extra payments based on audience that could grow to exceed the ACC deal. I think that kind of structure would make sense for both sides. It protects NBC from conference departures, and gives Big East schools an opportunity to earn a competitive income. It would motivate everybody to perform and market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom