Announcements I'd most like at B.E. Media Day... | The Boneyard

Announcements I'd most like at B.E. Media Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. Introduction of next Big East Commissioner. Ah, I can dream.

2. Addition of BYU, AFA & bumping up Boise St. & SDSU for all sports to form a Western Division.

Reaction Score
1. Introduction of next Big East Commissioner. Ah, I can dream.

2. Addition of BYU, AFA & bumping up Boise St. & SDSU for all sports to form a Western Division.

1a) Moving the HQ to Park, 5th (Rockefeller Center would work) or Madison avenue in a city with a deep and powerful media contingent. And, all those media members are close enough to take to lunch.

Reaction Score
what MTHusky said
I actually would hope our school would have enough sense to not make such an announcement at the BE Media Day event, it would be a classless act IMO. But first, and foremost, in order to leave you need an invitation!
I see it like this, IF we have a chance at the ACC it will be when the media rights are being negotiated. If the BE trys to string ESPN along in hopes of creating a bidding war, I could totally see ESPN directing the ACC to take more teams to lessen the product. We know they've gotten their hands dirty before so it wouldn't shock if they did it again. Hell they're already doing it with the blitz on the "big 5 conferences" BS.
Back on point, I would like the and BYU announcement myself.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't expect to hear a peep about ESPN. In fact, there have been no leaks at all from that direction. I suspect those discussions are completely dead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What I'd like to hear is "The University of Connecticut has just informed the Big East that this will be there last year in conference, leaving to join the Big 10"

Beat me to it.

"The University of Connecticut has joined a community in the Big Ten. Time will tell if they will be a loved as in their former community"

Reaction Score
I don't expect to hear a peep about ESPN. In fact, there have been no leaks at all from that direction. I suspect those discussions are completely dead.
Not really following what discussions you may be referring to but I don't see how the media rights conversation could be dead if it hasn't begun yet? You are aware that ESPN has a 90 day exclusivity in media rights window for negotiations that begins on September 1st right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really following what discussions you may be referring to but I don't see how the media rights conversation could be dead if it hasn't begun yet? You are aware that ESPN has a 90 day exclusivity in media rights window for negotiations that begins on September 1st right?

I am. The question is what do they do with it. Here's my guess:

1) low ball and hope our conference blinks
2) make a generous offer equal but not greater than the ACC deal. This is a possibility, if it comes with the promise of promoting the conference. The best way to guarantee that is to negotiate decent broadcast slots. ESPN will promote us if they need to promote their broadcast schedule.
3) Do nothing because they can't compete.

My guess is it's #1.

Reaction Score
I am. The question is what do they do with it. Here's my guess:

1) low ball and hope our conference blinks
2) make a generous offer equal but not greater than the ACC deal. This is a possibility, if it comes with the promise of promoting the conference. The best way to guarantee that is to negotiate decent broadcast slots. ESPN will promote us if they need to promote their broadcast schedule.
3) Do nothing because they can't compete.

My guess is it's #1.

Thanks CL82, it seemed odd but by Nelsonmuntzs response it didnt seem he was aware of what was coming up. Giving that many have been talking about it for well over a year it was puzzling to say the least.

Of your choices, I think #1 is the most likely of scenarios or else why would they seem so hell bent on lowering the preception of the conference? Seeing that this thread was based on wishful thinking, I will amend mine. I wish the end of the ESPN negotiating period coincided with our media days so we would be able to announce the new TV deal with NBC. I'm so over anything ESPN has to say, I want me some change!!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Look, I hate ESPN as much as the next guy, but if the Big East leaves ESPN the conference is dead.

a) Nobody gets or watches NBC Sports Channel.
b) ESPN would have an even greater incentive to push the anti Big East agenda
c) Every single sports fan is hardwired when they turn the tv on, to go to ESPN, having BE on NBC Sports Channel doesn't change this.

The conference would be better off in the long term taking less money from ESPN than NBC. That's just a fact.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Look, I hate ESPN as much as the next guy, but if the Big East leaves ESPN the conference is dead.

c) Every single sports fan is hardwired when they turn the tv on, to go to ESPN, having BE on NBC Sports Channel doesn't change this.

The conference would be better off in the long term taking less money from ESPN than NBC. That's just a fact.

You mean its a gamble and you don't think the BE or NBC can execute a vision?

I expect NBC Sports to be a streaming option in 2 or 3 years bundled with all the Law and Order you can eat.

Reaction Score

The conference is dying with them, why not take a chance with someone who needs us as much as we need them? t's not like ESPN is building us up they are trying to destroy us even though we have been a partner with them longer than anyone.

a) I get NBC Sports Channel and I do watch it too, I'm positive I'm not the only one
b) ESPN's loyalty to the BE went out the window years ago, even if we remain with them we will ony draw their ire so what difference does it make
c) That would be all well and good if ESPN remained true to its core which was reporting the sports news, instead they have evolved into the creator of sports news. Its not up to the BE to market the NBC Sports Channel to compete with ESPN its up to NBC, they need content to do that we could be a big part of it at the start for them. Are we going to battle the SEC, B12 etc. for viewership? No but we would'nt be relagated to the leftover timeslots and garbage mid-week mid major status either.

and seeing that your OPINION of who we would be better off with is nothing but that, an OPINION, we will have to save the FACTS for when results are actually known.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You mean its a gamble and you don't think the BE or NBC can execute a vision?

That's exactly what I mean. Has anything this inept conference done in the past 15 years shown you any sense of vision or competency?

The conference is dying with them, why not take a chance with someone who needs us as much as we need them? t's not like ESPN is building us up they are trying to destroy us even though we have been a partner with them longer than anyone.

a) I get NBC Sports Channel and I do watch it too, I'm positive I'm not the only one
b) ESPN's loyalty to the BE went out the window years ago, even if we remain with them we will ony draw their ire so what difference does it make
c) That would be all well and good if ESPN remained true to its core which was reporting the sports news, instead they have evolved into the creator of sports news. Its not up to the BE to market the NBC Sports Channel to compete with ESPN its up to NBC, they need content to do that we could be a big part of it at the start for them. Are we going to battle the SEC, B12 etc. for viewership? No but we would'nt be relagated to the leftover timeslots and garbage mid-week mid major status either.

and seeing that your OPINION of who we would be better off with is nothing but that, an OPINION, we will have to save the FACTS for when results are actually known.

Again, nobody watches NBC Sports Channel. I had to buy it for the NHL Playoffs and now that the playoffs are over, I've cancelled it.

No sports fan in their right mind is turning there tv on and going to NBC Sports. It's not happening.

ESPN shapes the countries sports opinions and coverage. If you think it's a good idea to further alienate our conference from the source where 99.9% of our potential recruits get their news, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

NBC may need content, but they are not going to blindly spend millions, to lose millions of dollars.

I would rather be the 6th option in the fall for ESPN and the 2nd option in the winter on ESPN than be the 1st on a station nobody watches. That would be the death of the league, if we're to believe the league isn't already dead.

Reaction Score
I nominate this sport's guy from Louisville as honorary BE Commish.

Don't necessarily agree with everything he spouts ((#3 sound like XFL/AFL) but I like his style!

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19139013/crawford-five-steps-to-a-reinvented-big-east

<<"Having been nominated for the job of Big East Commissioner, I accept -- for at least the next 1,200 words. I don't know that I'd call these the first five steps, but they'd certainly be five principles to use moving forward.

1). PICK A FIGHT. Since TCU jilted the Big East, followed by the departures of Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia, the Big East has been portrayed as a loser. The Big East needs to win something. It's not going to beat the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac 12 in money or marketing, so forget that. The Big East needs to take aim at the ACC and make a clear, creative and borderline obnoxious case that, "We may not be the best conference in college football, but we're better than THOSE guys." I'm picturing a multi-pronged marketing effort. Some billboards in South Beach with the U's national championship trophies and the words, "Hey Miami, how's the ACC workin' out for ya?" Or, how's this for a commercial? "The Big East. Birthplace of ACC champions."

(Note to self: Hire marketing minds better than my own.) Still, the message needs to be strong. It needs to be enough to make news, and to begin conversation around the sport. If the ACC claims to be one of the football powers, it only has the ability to do that because it has poached five teams from the Big East. Capitalize on that. And on the head-to-head BCS record between the leagues. I'd hit the Orange Bowl angle particularly hard, noting that the ACC has been a no-show for the most part since 1997 -- producing only one winner in all that time. But the specifics of the argument don't matter as much as just making an argument. The ACC's a fine league, supplies more than its share of NFL stars and has great schools. But the Big East needs a foil, and it isn't without ammunition in an argument comparing the two. And the Big East needs to begin more forcefully making a case for itself, because no one else is going to make a case for it. Which brings us to Point No. 2.

2). FORGET ESPN. The TV football contract is up and the Big East needs anyone but ESPN to get it. ESPN not only advised the ACC to go after Syracuse and Pittsburgh, it has done little -- on its airwaves, anyway -- to combat the notion that the Big East has all but disappeared. Even if ESPN were to get the Big East back into its "family" of networks, it surely would be sitting at the kiddie table. I know, ESPN is the brand name in sports right now, but the Big East, and you'll note this as a recurring theme, is not going to beat the big boys on their turf. It needs to find new turf. NBC is making a serious push with its sports network, which I expect to emerge from the Olympics with the beginnings of a foothold toward getting into the game. Its collaborative efforts with Sports Illustrated are first rate. And then there's FOX, maybe less likely, but worth exploring. They're getting into the game in a bigger way. Does the name Erin Andrews mean anything to you? Gus Johnson. Anyone? More than sitting back and waiting for those networks to make a play, be aggressive. Tell them you want to be part of something new, and that you're willing to do your part to make it work. Which brings up point No. 3.

3). BECOME THE TOP ENTERTAINMENT LEAGUE. You're not going to match the pageantry, tradition and Q-rating of the big boys. But you can use your lack of tradition to your advantage. How? The Big East can become the All-Access league. Let coaches know that if they want the big money that comes from big-league exposure, they're going to have to get in the game. They're going to be miked up during games. Their locker rooms and practices are going to host camera crews. If NBC or FOX (whoever wins that bidding competition) wants it, they get it. What the NFL Network does with its enhanced replays, the Big East will do with its college replays. There is a hunger in this sport to see what happens behind the scenes. You're not going to get that with the big boys. The Big East can deliver it. If I have the choice of watching Vandy-Ole Miss in the traditional format, or Rutgers-Boise State in a tricked-out, all-access, technologically innovative telecast, which will I watch? Become a trendsetter -- including in rules innovation for conference games. If conferences are writing their own rules in financial matters, would the NCAA allow the Big East to tweak overtime formats for conference games? Kickoff rules? If the Big East is going to make its mark, it needs to do be different, and it needs to examine every idea that comes its way, including being packaged in creative ways with whatever sports NBC or FOX picks up, including niche sports like MMA, to develop crossover audiences. I know, I know. Sounds ridiculous. But the place the Big East needs to look is ahead, not around at what the SEC can do or back at what others have done.

4). LEVERAGE LOCATIONS. The league is well on its way to trying to do this. You hear anyone you ask from the Big East talking about its big-time television markets -- New York, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, Tampa, Orlando, and on down the line. But it needs to go further. If ESPN has College GameDay, the Big East needs to work with these cities on prime-time games that aren't just big-city games, but events where those cities are on display. These cities have a great deal to offer, and a chance at a national TV prime-time college football stage ought to be attractive enough to market and broadcast. It wouldn't have the same charm of an on-campus show. But giving college football a big-city feel is, how can I put this delicately, not exactly an idea that is without financial merits. Let that idea marinate. There has to be an entertainment/football/big city tie in that would at least claim its share of prime time audience. You can't beat them with just football. You've got to make it an event. You've got to entertain. The Big East claims more television households among its membership's markets than any other league. But just having them isn't enough. A vehicle has to be devised for tapping into them.

5). BEAT SOMEBODY. The word "bounty" has gotten a bad name lately. Let's just say that there should be an additional financial incentive for beating a top-10 non-conference opponent -- and even more incentive for doing it on the road. Shoot, I'd even include some incentive for just playing a top 10 team, but that might send the wrong message. Scheduling those games is going to be difficult in the coming years. You can't require teams to do it because, frankly, the better teams in your league are just not going to be able to get those games. But the effort has to be made, appreciated and rewarded. Programs are going to have to take risks.

Lump all of this into the category of "brainstorm." I'm not a details commissioner. I'll let others tell me why it would never work. Then tell them to make it work. There are other issues. If you can't get into a big-payout bowl, I'd suggest that the Big East look into forming its own, with its TV network and Notre Dame. Rather than wasting a lot of time forming a "Big East Network," I think the league would be better served by concentrating its effort on creating an innovative football product and then marketing that effectively. With increased popularity and exposure, particularly given the league's markets, a Big East Network could follow. And without it, a Big East Network would fail. None of this addresses the topic of basketball. That's because basketball is secondary. If the next commissioner doesn't make some bold moves to get Big East football back into the game, he won't have much of a conference to lead for very long.">>

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Two points to this comment:

1) The first point has already been made by Jerry27, but it's worth reiterating; this conference is dying WITH ESPN! ESPN is clearly aware that they have plenty of college football under their umbrella, and they seem content with the amount that they have. Hence, the constant Big East bashing to eliminate our product from the discussion of college football.

2) EVEN IF the Big East were to sign a deal with ESPN, what type of treatment do you think that we would receive?? They would stop the bashing, but they would not market us. They would label us the sixth best conference (perhaps resurrecting the name "Big Six" for us), and they would make sure that everyone knew who conference #6 was. Get used to Wednesday night games, fellas. We would have bragging rights only on the MW and CUSA, which we already have.

No, unfortunately it seems painfully clear that we almost need to have a different network take us up. It's sad, because of the long history of the Big East with ESPN as well as the fact that they reside in our state, but the situation is what it is. I think we need to find a new life without them....and fast!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Two points to this comment:

1) The first point has already been made by Jerry27, but it's worth reiterating; this conference is dying WITH ESPN! ESPN is clearly aware that they have plenty of college football under their umbrella, and they seem content with the amount that they have. Hence, the constant Big East bashing to eliminate our product from the discussion of college football.

2) EVEN IF the Big East were to sign a deal with ESPN, what type of treatment do you think that we would receive?? They would stop the bashing, but they would not market us. They would label us the sixth best conference (perhaps resurrecting the name "Big Six" for us), and they would make sure that everyone knew who conference #6 was. Get used to Wednesday night games, fellas. We would have bragging rights only on the MW and CUSA, which we already have.

No, unfortunately it seems painfully clear that we almost need to have a different network take us up. It's sad, because of the long history of the Big East with ESPN as well as the fact that they reside in our state, but the situation is what it is. I think we need to find a new life without them....and fast!

It's dying because ESPN had an incentive to gut the Big East's value before this upcoming round of contract negotiations. If ESPN owns the BE long term, how wouldn't it be in their best interest to promote the league? I would much rather play a handful of weeknight games on ESPN than 3:30pm Saturday on NBC Sports.

I can't emphasize this enough. Nobody watches NBC Sports! Every sports fan in America muscle memory when they sit down on their couch tunes into ESPN. Sign on to the computer, it's ESPN.com.

Trust me, I hate ESPN. I despise nearly everything about the network. However, ESPN is so by far and large as they say "the worldwide leader" and viewed as "cool" by the majority of America. By taking our games and coverage off the network, in addition to ESPN having an added agenda to be unfairly critical of the league, it will ruin the league beyond repair.

So to recap if we leave ESPN:
1) Put our games on a network that nobody watches or cares about.
2) Gives the source of 99.9% of America's sports news an added incentive to bash the league.

Recruits want to play on ESPN. Period.

We're already in an uphill battle against the ACC, why are going to put ourselves in an even worse position?

Reaction Score
It's dying because ESPN had an incentive to gut the Big East's value before this upcoming round of contract negotiations. If ESPN owns the BE long term, how wouldn't it be in their best interest to promote the league? I would much rather play a handful of weeknight games on ESPN than 3:30pm Saturday on NBC Sports.

I can't emphasize this enough. Nobody watches NBC Sports! Every sports fan in America muscle memory when they sit down on their couch tunes into ESPN. Sign on to the computer, it's ESPN.com.

Trust me, I hate ESPN. I despise nearly everything about the network. However, ESPN is so by far and large as they say "the worldwide leader" and viewed as "cool" by the majority of America. By taking our games and coverage off the network, in addition to ESPN having an added agenda to be unfairly critical of the league, it will ruin the league beyond repair.

So to recap if we leave ESPN:
1) Put our games on a network that nobody watches or cares about.
2) Gives the source of 99.9% of America's sports news an added incentive to bash the league.

Recruits want to play on ESPN. Period.

We're already in an uphill battle against the ACC, why are going to put ourselves in an even worse position?

Why would a they want to destroy something that they desire to own? And it's not in their interest to promote theBE they want us a garbage time and midweek filler.
so to recap your recap;
1) They people who care about our games will watch, and not everybody has to pay to add NBC Sports to their cable if you had Versus before you have NBC Sports now.
2) They already bash the league, while we are a partner with them, they don't need incentive they clearly have an axe to grind and they do it at will whether we are a part of their line up or not, it has been ongoing since the first defection which would not surprise me at all if they had been involved back then either.
now my recap;
1) Would it really be that difficult to change the channel to watch your team?
2) Every decision has risks and rewards, I'd be willing to bet NBC is not getting in the game to lose money, they will promote the league better than ESPN IMO because its in their best interest to do so. ESPN could care less what happens to the BE with or without us, their actions speak volumes and that is the nearest thing to a fact as we have.
3) If a recruit is interested they will certainly have the skills to find the games on the cable network they have. And again I'd be willing to bet that the announcers assigned to the games or analysts in studio would not be openly and unjustly bashing the teams during the broadcast as has happened numerous times on ESPN; I wonder how well that went over with recruits when Robert Smith laughed at us over and over again on national TV?
4) ESPN was laughed at in the beginning too. An entire network of sports news? They'll never last! Some took a chance back then as I recall a fledgling BE Basketball Conference partnered up with them to give them content besides news.
5) The same people will watch the games on NBC that would have watched on ESPN, you will not gain viewer interest simply by being on ESPN.

You have an opinion and I can respect that, judging by your comments you are clearly a member of their flock. I have my opinion as well and I believe its time for a change. The conference deserves better from their TV partner. I don't believe we will get a fair shake from ESPN, so if its all about the Benjamins, then I say let them bid for it if they want it, but I don't think they care if we go to be honest. And if NBC puts a better package together then I think we need to move on to someone who may appreciate the product. And BTW its not like we are talking about some start-up company, this is NBC-Comcast for crying out loud.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why would a they want to destroy something that they desire to own? And it's not in their interest to promote theBE they want us a garbage time and midweek filler.
so to recap your recap;
1) They people who care about our games will watch, and not everybody has to pay to add NBC Sports to their cable if you had Versus before you have NBC Sports now.
It's not about the fans of teams - of course we are going to watch UConn. I can only comment that I had to order NBC Sports in a package that was an extra $15 a month. You think anybody but big fans of teams are going to pony up the cash for BE Football?

2) They already bash the league, while we are a partner with them, they don't need incentive they clearly have an axe to grind and they do it at will whether we are a part of their line up or not, it has been ongoing since the first defection which would not surprise me at all if they had been involved back then either.
now my recap;
We were a partner by default when we lost BC, Miami, VT and had a horrific tv deal. We were not a long term partner with a competitive tv deal in a competitive tv market - like the situation would be now. There were no other options that I can recall back then, but there are now. If we sign into a long term contract with ESPN we will be promoted fairly. It's not about 'an axe to grind' with ESPN or BC and the ACC. It's simply business.

1) Would it really be that difficult to change the channel to watch your team?
It wouldn't be for us, we're UConn fans obviously. It's about the casual fan that sits down and just watches ESPN, because it's ESPN. Someone may catch a USF-Cincy game because it's on ESPN2, but nobody is seeking out USF-Cincy on NBC Sports. I'm sorry it may seem so simple to change the channel, but ESPN controls everything when it comes to sports. I think you are underestimating this point.

2) Every decision has risks and rewards, I'd be willing to bet NBC is not getting in the game to lose money, they will promote the league better than ESPN IMO because its in their best interest to do so. ESPN could care less what happens to the BE with or without us, their actions speak volumes and that is the nearest thing to a fact as we have.
I agree NBC would have a higher interest in promoting their one and only product as opposed to ESPN's #6 (for football). But does it matter being promoted when nobody sees or hears it?

3) If a recruit is interested they will certainly have the skills to find the games on the cable network they have. And again I'd be willing to bet that the announcers assigned to the games or analysts in studio would not be openly and unjustly bashing the teams during the broadcast as has happened numerous times on ESPN; I wonder how well that went over with recruits when Robert Smith laughed at us over and over again on national TV?
Recruits want attention, they want to be seen on tv. ESPN is where they will get both of these. What is so hard to understand? Yes of course any human can scroll to NBC Sports - but why would they? To see bass fishing re-runs, Indy Car, NHL? The casual sports fan watches ESPN. It's a big deal for kids to say they are going to play on ESPN. There's literally no appeal to say "my games are going to be on NBC Sports Channel, it's just second rate. Look who plays on NBC Sports. Fishing, Indy Car, NHL and MLS. Leagues and games nobody cares about. Do you want to be associated with this?

4) ESPN was laughed at in the beginning too. An entire network of sports news? They'll never last! Some took a chance back then as I recall a fledgling BE Basketball Conference partnered up with them to give them content besides news.
You can't even begin to compare the start of cable tv to the current tv landscape. The situations couldn't be anymore different.

5) The same people will watch the games on NBC that would have watched on ESPN, you will not gain viewer interest simply by being on ESPN.
That has to be a joke. You won't gain viewer interest by being on ESPN? ESPN is the de facto sports option for the United States. You don't think that makes a difference to viewership?

You have an opinion and I can respect that, judging by your comments you are clearly a member of their flock. I have my opinion as well and I believe its time for a change. The conference deserves better from their TV partner. I don't believe we will get a fair shake from ESPN, so if its all about the Benjamins, then I say let them bid for it if they want it, but I don't think they care if we go to be honest. And if NBC puts a better package together then I think we need to move on to someone who may appreciate the product. And BTW its not like we are talking about some start-up company, this is NBC-Comcast for crying out loud.

Not even sure what you mean by a member of their flock, but as I've said multiple times before, I hate ESPN, but I recognize it's significance in the country.

Change isn't always better and the grass isn't always greener. The conference is on the verge of becoming completely irrelevant and going to a start up cable tv network from the worldwide leader isn't a good decision.

NBC can promote the hell out of the league, but you can't put lipstick on a pig and no amount of marketing is going to make people care about SMU vs. UCF.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Jerry addressed some of what I was going to cover, but here are my main points about it:

1) Even if ESPN wins the bid, there is no real incentive for them to promote the league. The reason is that it will not be their premier league, and we will take a back seat to every one of their properties, including the ACC. We will enjoy the worst timeslots and almost no commercial endorsement from the tv channel. We know this because we have already seen this.

2) Nobody watches NBC??? Are you friggin' kidding me??? If you are speaking of NBCSports (old Versus), then yes, it would be less exposure than being on ESPN2. However, if they work out a way to bracket the entire Saturday on the main NBC channel, especially around the 3:30 ND game, we will actually INCREASE our exposure to more tv sets. And you know that NBC will pump the $#it out of the league, since it will be its only property besides ND!! Finally, a network that will not make us feel inferior to the ACC!!

Look, if ESPN makes us "an offer we can't refuse," then so be it. That would be great to make a high-earning contract, and ESPN is certainly big-time sports, as you have alluded to. But when it comes to improving our national reputation, I don't believe that ESPN has the desire to do it. They haven't in the past. Why would they in the future?

Reaction Score

You make good points and there is always risk. All of these points will need to be evaluated by the schools and the league and hopefully they will make the correct decision. I can envision NBC wanting the league to expand to 16 or even 18 football schools just to develop inroads to more markets. We may become the AFL.

BTW habits can change, you can't rule out NBC Sports becoming a player in the sports market. CNN dominated news into the mid 90's, now very few people watch CNN.

I have to believe the other conferences would secretly want NBC to succeed. Media competition will be good for all schools because it helps drive up the price for programming.

Reaction Score
As I said you have your opinion, and it has been clearly dictated to you by ESPN (flock comment). So by your take we should just get in line say thank sir, may I have another, and never do anything to try to improve our position. We have been a partner with them since 1979 (contrary to your view of the first defection and since 2002 they have sought to destroy us at every turn, if thats just business to you then what else can I say. Sorry I can't bend over and grab my ankles because the worldwide leader says so. I don't get my sporting news soley from ESPN so I guess I don't feel quite as bound to them. At some point we have to stand for something, you clearly don't understand that or you're too beaten into submission by them to see it.

It's still my wish that our leadership at the very least use our current position to improve our conference. It has to be made clear that we intend to hear from all available bidders.
No the grass isn't always greener my friend, but sometimes it is! I will never go into something with a fear of failure, you can't, with that kind of mentality that is exactly what will happen. Their are risks in any situation doesn't mean you stop trying.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As I said you have your opinion, and it has been clearly dictated to you by ESPN (flock comment). So by your take we should just get in line say thank sir, may I have another, and never do anything to try to improve our position. We have been a partner with them since 1979 (contrary to your view of the first defection and since 2002 they have sought to destroy us at every turn, if thats just business to you then what else can I say. Sorry I can't bend over and grab my ankles because the worldwide leader says so. I don't get my sporting news soley from ESPN so I guess I don't feel quite as bound to them. At some point we have to stand for something, you clearly don't understand that or you're too beaten into submission by them to see it.

It's still my wish that our leadership at the very least use our current position to improve our conference. It has to be made clear that we intend to hear from all available bidders.
No the grass isn't always greener my friend, but sometimes it is! I will never go into something with a fear of failure, you can't, with that kind of mentality that is exactly what will happen. Their are risks in any situation doesn't mean you stop trying.

My opinion hasn't been dictated by ESPN, even though for whatever reason you insist it has been.

You are being way too emotional and idealistic when evaluating this situation. Look at the ratings between ESPN and NBC Sports Channel. Look at the hits ESPN.com gets and compare it to NBC Sports website. It's not even close.

What you're not understanding is that ESPN had no interest in promoting the Big East the past 10 years because they had little to nothing invested in the Big East. If the Big East fields a competitive offer (below the ACC, but competitive) from ESPN, they have more at stake and invested into the BE and the conference would be promoted as such. ESPN gutted the Big East, because they didn't want to pay full price to keep the BE and didn't want a property going to a competitor at full strength.

The BE is still valuable to ESPN for marquee basketball throughout the winter in addition to some decent football matchups it can show regionally throughout the season.

NBC Sports isn't going to save the BE. It is only going to further marginalize the conference as it fades further into obscurity. What don't you comprehend about that?

Reaction Score
It is very true that NBC cannot simply outbid ESPN by one dollar and expect the Big East to go to the highest bidder. NBC's offer needs to be materially better than ESPN's offer and NBC will need to obviously show the league how it will be promoted.

Conversely the Big East school's are going to have to make a binding commitment to the Big East and NBC. They can't jump to another conference and leave NBC hanging. This may end up forcing another turn of the conference reshuffling wheel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If NBC and ESPN tie, the Big East has to go with NBC. ESPN will marginalize, denigrate and finally, eliminate the Big East, if they are our only customer. Especially if NBC gets effectively knocked out of college sports as a result. ESPN's long term objective has been clear, consolidate control of the industry and reduce the amount of content they need to market.

When you get ripped off by a business partner once, it is their fault. When it happens over and over again, it is your fault. ESPN will never change their spots on this issue. They have made it abundantly clear they want the Big East to be eliminated, and they will not stop until that has happened. The only way the Big East can protect itself is to find a partner that can protect the Big East from ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom