Announcements I'd most like at B.E. Media Day... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Announcements I'd most like at B.E. Media Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'd have to look up the games, but would that be any different than ESPN showing Michigan State and Iowa and
NBCS showing Rutgers and Central Florida?

The difference, is that Michigan State and Iowa would be showing against Louisville and Boise State on the main NBC channel! And that would be the 12pm game that would hopefully draw onlookers from people waiting for the 3:30 ND game as well as people who drift over from the CBS SEC game a few channels away on their tv guide scroll. That's the ultimate point; that our marquis games will be on the main station, and we will (hopefully, to be fair) draw eyeballs that would otherwise never bother to drift over to a Thursday night ESPN game at 7:30pm. That's the way that I'm seeing it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The difference, is that Michigan State and Iowa would be showing against Louisville and Boise State on the main NBC channel! And that would be the 12pm game that would hopefully draw onlookers from people waiting for the 3:30 ND game as well as people who drift over from the CBS SEC game a few channels away on their tv guide scroll. That's the ultimate point; that our marquis games will be on the main station, and we will (hopefully, to be fair) draw eyeballs that would otherwise never bother to drift over to a Thursday night ESPN game at 7:30pm. That's the way that I'm seeing it.

I'll believe NBC puts the Big East on the broadcast network when it happens. That would make NBC a much more interesting option, but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere but here.

Thursday night ESPN games are easily the highest ratings that the Big East gets for football. It's the most captive college football audience of the week.

I don't see what the issue with Thursday night games is. They are a pain in the ass when you are at home, but even the SEC plays them.

Wednesday and Friday are terrible, Thursday is good for the league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPN Thursday night games:

USCe/Vandy
Pitt/Cincy
Rutgers/USF
BYU/Boise
Stanford/Washington
USCw/Utah
ASU/Colorado
ASU/Oregon

So good enough for South Carolina, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami and BYU but not the Big East?

And those Pac12 games start at 5 and 6 local time.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'll believe NBC puts the Big East on the broadcast network when it happens. That would make NBC a much more interesting option, but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere but here.

Well, let me be the first to show you that others are talking about it:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/31/3055532/big-east-tv-contract-notre-dame-football-nbc

"(NBC's) purpose (at the meeting) was to show they had an interest in the Big East and they had it tied in with Notre Dame football," Johnson said. "They talked about doubleheaders and tripleheaders on the NBC station. Not on the Versus or whatever they all have, NBC (Sports Network), because they've got several cable outlets. They talked about how they liked the time zones and they talked about tying in doubleheaders and tripleheaders on Saturday with football."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...edia-pot-big-east-facing-deal-of-its-lifetime

"How would a Big East game of the week leading into or following Notre Dame's game sound?"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...needs-nbc-sports-to-raise-increase-tv-revenue

"They could also select an important Big East contest to match up as a lead-in or a spill-over to the Notre Dame contest already scheduled."

I don't want you to think that I'm just spewing out crap for crap's sake. This was on the first page of a Google search with NBC and Big East as the key words. I'm sure there are more. This is what that deal is all about; plenty of inventory for their NBCSports channel, but also packaging marquis games around ND to give them a full Saturday slate. If the money is there, it sounds good to me!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN has over 3 months to raid the Big East before the exclusive window closes. It probably only took them a month to get the ACC to take Pitt and Syracuse. If UConn was next in line, then we haven't we been taken already? Um because next in line means next up not already chosen? It seems like UConn is a pariah in Bristol for some reason. UConn was the original target of the ACC rad along with Cuse.

The cheapest way for ESPN to raid the Big East would be to convince the ACC to take Georgetown and Villanova. Swofford isn't stupid enough to take partial members.That would definitely kill the combined conference, and possibly drive Boise and SDSU back to the MWC, or to form a new league.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn was going to be in the ACC, it would already be in the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am all for Thursday nights, but the Big East isn't even getting those games anymore. It is getting buried on ESPN3 with the occasional regional broadcast in the northeast if the rest of the ABC games that afternoon sucked.

If the Big East signs with ESPN, some of the games won't even be picked up by ESPN3 anymore, and there will never be a game on ABC. ESPN will push out Syracuse and BC to the syndicaters in the northeast, and cut the Big East off completely.

Reaction Score
If the Big East signs with ESPN, some of the games won't even be picked up by ESPN3 anymore, and there will never be a game on ABC. ESPN will push out Syracuse and BC to the syndicaters in the northeast, and cut the Big East off completely.
Isn't SNY already under contract to show all UConn games not picked up by ESPN?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, let me be the first to show you that others are talking about it:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/31/3055532/big-east-tv-contract-notre-dame-football-nbc

"(NBC's) purpose (at the meeting) was to show they had an interest in the Big East and they had it tied in with Notre Dame football," Johnson said. "They talked about doubleheaders and tripleheaders on the NBC station. Not on the Versus or whatever they all have, NBC (Sports Network), because they've got several cable outlets. They talked about how they liked the time zones and they talked about tying in doubleheaders and tripleheaders on Saturday with football."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...edia-pot-big-east-facing-deal-of-its-lifetime

"How would a Big East game of the week leading into or following Notre Dame's game sound?"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...needs-nbc-sports-to-raise-increase-tv-revenue

"They could also select an important Big East contest to match up as a lead-in or a spill-over to the Notre Dame contest already scheduled."

I don't want you to think that I'm just spewing out crap for crap's sake. This was on the first page of a Google search with NBC and Big East as the key words. I'm sure there are more. This is what that deal is all about; plenty of inventory for their NBCSports channel, but also packaging marquis games around ND to give them a full Saturday slate. If the money is there, it sounds good to me!

I forgot about RC Johnson saying that, I did see that. Is there anyone other than him in any official capacity that has mentioned it?

Reaction Score
If Big East games being shown on NBC Sports are heavily promoted on NBC during the week it will really help the image of the Big East. NBC has to market the crap out of their football product during prime time on their other stations to get people watching NBC Sports on Saturdays. If that happens, this can work.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I forgot about RC Johnson saying that, I did see that. Is there anyone other than him in any official capacity that has mentioned it?

Anyone other than the AD of Memphis? I don't know. I'm not always going to do your homework. And I'm not even sure what the "number of Whaler-accepted officials" is until you believe that it might be true. Three? Five?? So....enjoy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone other than the AD of Memphis? I don't know. I'm not always going to do your homework. And I'm not even sure what the "number of Whaler-accepted officials" is until you believe that it might be true. Three? Five?? So....enjoy.

Well he's a bit of a loose cannon. Not sure why he'd be the only one saying it.

It might be true. Almost anything can be true.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well he's a bit of a loose cannon. Not sure why he'd be the only one saying it.

It might be true. Almost anything can be true.

You will believe what you wish to believe. I've offered you multiple media outsiders that are talking about it, as well as someone on the inside that would have been in that room during the presentation. Not sure what more you want, really.

Reaction Score
Clearly you don't get it. As someone already pointed out NBC is not only NBC Sports Network. You have no idea what someone will or will not tune into so stop it with the ESPN is our only hope to a better future garbage. The casual fan can find NBC just as easy as they can ESPN. And if a recruit is interested in a program they will find them no matter where the game airs. And news flash, the game highlights will still get on ESPN, because lets face it, that is what they truly want! DaDaDa...DaDaDa! (ESPN theme) Now back to watching the MMA feature on NBCSN!
actually, from what the NHL experienced, if it isn't aired on ESPN, it's not covered on ESPN either. Unless of course we have a team in the top 15 or so.

I think that has to be part of the due dilligence by the BE. NBC might be more $'s, but does that counter more visibility and coverage with ESPN...

I'm sure the BE will make the right decision. No reason to think otherwise.

Reaction Score
ESPN Thursday night games:

USCe/Vandy
Pitt/Cincy
Rutgers/USF
BYU/Boise
Stanford/Washington
USCw/Utah
ASU/Colorado
ASU/Oregon

So good enough for South Carolina, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami and BYU but not the Big East?

And those Pac12 games start at 5 and 6 local time.
Just to be clear...Is USCe South Carolina or is it the mighty University of New Jersey, known to Rutgers al as the USC of the East?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You will believe what you wish to believe. I've offered you multiple media outsiders that are talking about it, as well as someone on the inside that would have been in that room during the presentation. Not sure what more you want, really.

It's one quote from an AD and the rest is speculation you get here. Hell one of them was bleacher report.

It might be true. It may just be hope. I guess we'll see.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just to be clear...Is USCe South Carolina or is it the mighty University of New Jersey, known to Rutgers al as the USC of the East?

Like Rutgers would have an SEC team on their schedule.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's one quote from an AD and the rest is speculation you get here. Hell one of them was bleacher report.

It might be true. It may just be hope. I guess we'll see.

You're funny, Whaler! Most people would have just typed, "Hey, thanks for the link," and gone on about their day. I love your "stick-to-it-iveness"!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're funny, Whaler! Most people would have just typed, "Hey, thanks for the link," and gone on about their day. I love your "stick-to-it-iveness"!!!

I said it was interesting and asked if there was anyone else saying it. You know things not like b/r.

You can just stop replying to me. Block me or whatever. You see everything through blue colored lenses, I do not.

I don't believe everything i read on the internet. If I did I'd be gearing up for Texas in the Pac16, Missouri in the Big 10 and Florida State in the Big 12.

I have said maybe it's true. Sorry if my bar for believing something on the internet is higher because I've watched one bs rumor after another fall by the wayside.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I said it was interesting and asked if there was anyone else saying it. You know things not like b/r.

You can just stop replying to me. Block me or whatever. You see everything through blue colored lenses, I do not.

I don't believe everything i read on the internet. If I did I'd be gearing up for Texas in the Pac16, Missouri in the Big 10 and Florida State in the Big 12.

I have said maybe it's true. Sorry if my bar for believing something on the internet is higher because I've watched one bs rumor after another fall by the wayside.

Actually, I'm not the one seeing the world through colored lenses. I try my very best to make statements based on data that I can present, and I would like to think that I have presented that data in this case as well. I'm not some crazy person that spouts off random ideas without having some basis for spouting them.

However, you seem to be the type of person that finds it incredibly difficult when you have an idea in your head to displace that idea. In this instance, all you had to say was, "Good find on the articles. I'm still skeptical, but it clearly isn't just a 'Boneyard' thing like I said it was." But that would have required you to adjust your stance on something. I'm just not sure your capable of that. That's why I said that I love your "stick-to-it-iveness"!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

They've shown enough of a void of intelligence in programming and execution in the last six days where I completely expect them to put Big East football on their main broadcast network. It would fit in with every other dumb decision they're making.

Reaction Score
They've shown enough of a void of intelligence in programming and execution in the last six days where I completely expect them to put Big East football on their main broadcast network. It would fit in with every other dumb decision they're making.

You are the only one who could turn the idea of the Big East on NBC's main network into a negative. Are you a football fan or a fan of network boardroom decision making? Are you a football fan at all?

Having multiple Big East games on NBC every week would be a phenomenal victory for the conference.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are the only one who could turn the idea of the Big East on NBC's main network into a negative. Are you a football fan or a fan of network boardroom decision making? Are you a football fan at all?

Having multiple Big East games on NBC every week would be a phenomenal victory for the conference.

To steal a line from the movie "Major League," ZLS threw at his own kid in a father-son game... ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So... yea for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer