Anna and the pass seen ‘round the world. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anna and the pass seen ‘round the world.

Reaction Score
HA! I’ll join you doooooomed!
I think ALL here feels the same way!
Anna Mak can’t wait to see another one of those spectacular passes! Superb!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not as a freshman, based on what I recall. Again I’m taking about passing not scoring.
Diana had 109 assists as a freshman good for #9 for Uconn freshman in 33 games and 791 minutes.

Anna has 46 in 19 games and 449 minutes.

Anna does have nice vision and anticipation but DT was spectacular from her first game. They and every passer loses assists to missed shots, DT probably lost some to teammates not believing she could get the ball to them as well.

(DT did have the advantage of playing with a spectacular team around her as a freshman - probably the best ever at Uconn before the injuries crippled them.)

Reaction Score
Anna is getting more comfortable / acclimated to her team, surroundings and all things that take some time in her situation. Rocky posted as I type and I agree on her defensive prowess. I could watch this play a hundred times and still enjoy it. (I'm only at 30)
And now her shot falling too! The team is developing as many here would hope. OK enough, I gotta go watch that pass 70 more times! :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Diana had 109 assists as a freshman good for #9 for Uconn freshman in 33 games and 791 minutes.

Anna does have nice vision and anticipation but DT was spectacular from her first game. They and every passer loses assists to missed shots, DT probably lost some to teammates not believing she could get the ball to them as well.

(DT did have the advantage of playing with a spectacular team around her as a freshman - probably the best ever at Uconn before the injuries crippled them.)
In Taurasi's first game she had 1 assist. I'm sure it was a great one, though :)

I'm not talking so much about pure number of assists, which as you mention isn't really a fair comparison considering the 2000-01 team was what one could call a very assist-rich environment. This year's team is nothing like that.

I'm thinking more of the high difficulty level, not only of today's highlight reel assist but other passes I've noticed as well, going back to the Vanderbilt game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't think that anyone but D, or maybe MoJeff, would have even attempted that pass!
Don't many of you remember the Kelly (Faris) to Maya to Kalana break against Stanford in a regular season game circa 2010? I think it was Tina who grabbed a defensive rebound and passed to Kelly, who already had a head of steam. She incautiously passed the ball up the middle to Maya who was around the foul line but was double-teamed. Maya couldn't control the pass against the double team, but she deflected it to Kalana who was slashing in from the right wing for a layup. The Stanford players were in disbelief.

I think that still might qualify as the UConn highlight reel play of the decade.

P. S. The play on Thursday night where Crystal found Aubrey over the tall heads of the TN defenders for a slashing layup was another beautiful play, which I think has not been adequately remarked upon.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The way Anna is blind passing, touch passing, behind the back in motion passing, I think she should change her uniform number to 33
Reminds me of the Larry Bird to Kevin Mchale behind the back pass of many many moons ago.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Reminds me of the Larry Bird to Kevin Mchale behind the back pass of many many moons ago.
@MSGRET - You WIN!!! Exactly the reference I was hoping someone would get. You now get my undying respect for a second reason.

Reaction Score
Here in Bronco land we all know what is meant by The Drive. Twenty years from now UConn fans will be talking about The Pass.

Reaction Score
If this is not the SC #1 play, I will be taking my pitchfork and heading to Bristol.
To be honest I thought the ECU bomb right before half was better. Reminded me of DT. It was basically the same exact play right down to the spot on the floor.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Diana would disagree with this.
Actually I agreed with you. And not many minutes ago I realized Makarat's body resembles Taurasi's when she played at UCONN. A very similar body type they share.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score

Yep D kept hitting teammates in the head and hands, Geno frequently said they have to get used to playing with her.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Dee in the Hartford WBCA HS All American game wrist flicked a one bounce pass to Stacy Stephens for a layup. Amazing part it was a fastball actually heard the ball moving, she wasn’t even over the half court.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Stacy played for Texas very capable post and rebounder, we faced her in 2003...Erica Valek was the only player that didn’t come to UCONN (she went to Purdue) that wish did she played with so much passion you couldn’t chisel the smile off her face...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom