Ania Makurat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ania Makurat

Reaction Score
I get a real Kelly Faris feeling with her. Someone who does all the dirty work, not flashy, and a little bit of scoring but never the leading scorer. Perfect for UConn to add depth. We need a couple more because Bent and Irwin just haven't been able to do it......
That's a very interesting comparison. Although their games are quite different, both are cerebral and unselfish. Both move without the ball, see plays developing in advance, and don't have sticky fingers. Kelly was more athletic and more of a force on defense, but Anna is taller and more physical, and a better outside shooter (notwithstanding her numbers to date).

Reaction Score
I'm suspect of Euro players and how well their game translates to WCBB and especially elite competition. Very different styles of play. Makurat seems very slow out there...both physically and mentally with her decision-making. Hope she picks it up, because Geno really needs her with so little depth available.

Reaction Score
That's a very interesting comparison. Although their games are quite different, both are cerebral and unselfish. Both move without the ball, see plays developing in advance, and don't have sticky fingers. Kelly was more athletic and more of a force on defense, but Anna is taller and more physical, and a better outside shooter (notwithstanding her numbers to date).
Your force on Defense was "owned" by Diggins. Kelly developed an outside shot from the 3 as a Senior.
Other than that I agree with all thing Ania.

Reaction Score
I get a real Kelly Faris feeling with her. Someone who does all the dirty work, not flashy, and a little bit of scoring but never the leading scorer. Perfect for UConn to add depth. We need a couple more because Bent and Irwin just haven't been able to do it......

Faris was arguably the best defender in the country, Makurat is a huge liability defensively.

Reaction Score
Three Cheers for the Big P. and ANIA.
2 of the 3 new guys, who are allowed to play, (a dig I had to throw in) Are doing well. Ania took a 3 attempt, assists like a Pro, Rebound and dishes like a Pro. She'll settle in and make those layups, she like Griffin is trying too hard to please. When she sits back and plays the game she knows so well--it will be smoooth!
Griffin, I saw those flashes of her leaping, rebounding scoring the kid has great talent. When she remembers she's the 2 part of H20 and goes with the flow, happy days will be here (no Fonz however).
Thank you Big P---we are bless with those Geno delivered.
Remember in APRIL---oh, woe is me--hand wringing--WOE--not enough kids to put a team on the floor--who will we get--Geno can't recruit any more--Uconn is history---WOE is me. Oh, ye of little faith (in my best Irish accent). so soon we forget.. Thank Big P.
Who is "Big P" again?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Makurat is a huge liability defensively.
Can you support this bald assertion with some convincing examples? Can you provide ONE example from the first three games where an opponent got a layup by blowing past Anna?

It is possible to play effective defense in a team system without being lightning-fast on your feet. For example, Katy Douglas in the WNBA was considered one of the league's best defensive players, and she was barely quicker than Anna. At the college level, Mel Thomas and KML were adequate defenders (at least enough that they could not usually be exploited) despite having similar issues to Anna. The key for a player like that is positioning, so that if they are beat off the dribble, the driving opponent is directed into the teeth of the help defense.

To my eyes, that is what is happening with Anna, and it seems to be working.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm suspect of Euro players and how well their game translates to WCBB and especially elite competition. Very different styles of play. Makurat seems very slow out there...both physically and mentally with her decision-making. Hope she picks it up, because Geno really needs her with so little depth available.
Ummm, no. Not sure what you think you're seeing, but that's not the case. At least from a Euro perspective. She seems to be picking the offense up fairly quickly for a Freshman. Saw her actually directing traffic at one point yesterday.

Reaction Score
A M brings a lot of skills to this team. She has a very wide view of what is happening on the court and knows where to put the ball to someone who can score. Her high assist count does illustrate this. And she passes the ball very well. I really am very glad that she continues to shoot during the game because she is going to light it up during one game and then everyone will sing her praise. Defense, I think that she does as well as anyone else on the floor and she seems to have her hands up when confronting her opposite on offense and that is a big thing for Geno.

I do recall when Kia Nurse when through a big drought which brought tears to her eyes. Then all of a sudden, everything she put up when in. Patience, folks, AM is a really good score and a talent for this team in a reloading year.

Reaction Score
Faris was arguably the best defender in the country, Makurat is a huge liability defensively.
I completely disagree with that statement. Also, I wish people on this board would stop using the senior year of previous players as a point of reference to present freshman.

And on top of it, I said I got a feel of comparison beteeen the two related to temperament on the court...

Reaction Score
Ummm, no. Not sure what you think you're seeing, but that's not the case. At least from a Euro perspective. She seems to be picking the offense up fairly quickly for a Freshman. Saw her actually directing traffic at one point yesterday.
How can someone with 17 assists in 3 games who isn't the PG be slow mentally.

Reaction Score
From reading posts all over The Boneyard today, I realize that this is supposed to be gloom and doom time for a fanbase that has been encouraged to believe that our favorite team is predestined to win a National Championship each and every year. At the risk of getting folks more riled up than they already appear to be, I’m seeing some positive signs, even in areas that are currently drawing the most vociferous complaints, and even from the Freshman players, Ania in particular. Disagree with my thoughts, as you inevitably will, but please don’t get angry with me for trying to inject a note of positivity on what appears to be Prozac Thursday!

I remember a time when even notoriously impatient UConn fans understood that Freshman players, newly-inducted into Geno’s demanding system, would be unlikely instant contributors to the team’s success…so much to learn, such a leap from their prior levels of competition. Now, in Ania’s case, I will grant that, given her international experience, she might be considered something of an exception to the normal Freshman profile. Well, I would contend that she is an exception, irrespective of her relative youth, and of her current shooting funk. The latter factor bothers me the least. As anyone who’s played much basketball knows, shooting is all about confidence…when it’s running high, one is “shocked” by any shot, from any distance, that fails to fall. When it’s low, and especially when it’s perilously low, one’s expectations decline accordingly. Hers is shot right now, unsurprising for a Freshman trying with all her might to make a meaningful contribution and to live up to expectations.

On the other hand, I’ve seen very few Freshman players exhibit the court awareness and vision that she has, which provides her the opportunity to make a real contribution while awaiting a restoration of confidence in her shooting. Because that confidence, at this point, is woefully low, and because her passing ability remains high, she has a tendency to pass up scoring opportunities and execute one pass too many, but she knows way better than most Freshmen how and where to find open teammates, and that bodes well for her future success. Combine that with the fact that she has a big body for a guard, and is a pretty competent ball-handler, all of which encourages me to envision a high ceiling for her.

Just you wait, Husky fans…’tain’t all gloom ‘n doom, I promise!
Lots to like after this game, and room for improvement. Bring on Virginia.

Reaction Score
Disagree. To me she looks good out there. Just needs to score now.

Reaction Score
Nicely said. I noted that after the first 2 games, even tho she's a bagel in shooting (scored 1 point on a FT), her averages for rebounds (1.5), assists (3.5) and steals (2) with only 1 turnover in 2 games is solid for a freshman guard.

I don't think she will ever be "great" at anything (Tuck IMHO wasn't "great" at anything either), but I think she will be solid to really good at everything. Also, good news for Vandy - she wasn't ready to faint at the start of the game, so there's a big improvement already!
I like all you said except the bit about Ania never being great. It is much too early to make that statement. If next year she isn't a decent scorer and playing Geno's defense, we can review her climb to greatness or mediocrity. I have no idea whether she will be a utility player or among the stars of the team either is possible. In either case she will be what Geno needs and wants.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like all you said except the bit about Ania never being great. It is much too early to make that statement. If next year she isn't a decent scorer and playing Geno's defense, we can review her climb to greatness or mediocrity. I have no idea whether she will be a utility player or among the stars of the team either is possible. In either case she will be what Geno needs and wants.
In fairness, I said I thought she would be solid to really good at everything. Some players, like Gabby or Aubrey, have great athleticism. Some players like Stef or Dee are great passers. Some players like Sue or Moriah are simply great at their position - PG's in this example.

I don't know that Anna will be "great" at any one thing. Of course it's too early, but I'd love it if she turned out to be a really good all around player.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She looked (physically) slow to me as well early on but her trend line is has been up and at a pretty steep slope. Mentally, though, she seems good me, very good actually. We've got to get her more opportunities to shoot in rhythm so she gets comfortable shooting in a game. If she becomes a consistent deep threat for us, which apparently she is in practice, we become a much more difficult team to match up against.

Reaction Score
EZ to look slooow when u r playing alongside CD, AG, a lightened MW and CW who has [deceptively] amazing acceleration when she senses a path to the hoop [with either hand, i might add!] As for Ania, she sees the court better than anyone [so far] this season. IMHO her court awareness is tops on the team, a most valuable quality and the reason she's starting, eh?

Reaction Score
Really? Her defense was superb. She moves very well for a big girl because she knows the game, including decision making, that’s why she leads team in assists. That’s why Geno has her on the floor.

Reaction Score

Your view of Euro players differs greatly from my experience working with them. Most Euro players are very well schooled in the fundamentals, especially ball handling and passing. The coaching they receive has improved dramatically, and most understand team basketball, both offensively and defensively. They practice as a team much more than they play games, and gain a lot of basketball discipline from that. If you questioned how their game translated to the AAU circuit I might tend to agree with you, but I would think their game fits well with many college programs, especially one like UConn that values team basketball, fundamentals, and discipline on the floor. JMO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom