Ania Makurat | The Boneyard

Ania Makurat

Reaction Score
From reading posts all over The Boneyard today, I realize that this is supposed to be gloom and doom time for a fanbase that has been encouraged to believe that our favorite team is predestined to win a National Championship each and every year. At the risk of getting folks more riled up than they already appear to be, I’m seeing some positive signs, even in areas that are currently drawing the most vociferous complaints, and even from the Freshman players, Ania in particular. Disagree with my thoughts, as you inevitably will, but please don’t get angry with me for trying to inject a note of positivity on what appears to be Prozac Thursday!

I remember a time when even notoriously impatient UConn fans understood that Freshman players, newly-inducted into Geno’s demanding system, would be unlikely instant contributors to the team’s success…so much to learn, such a leap from their prior levels of competition. Now, in Ania’s case, I will grant that, given her international experience, she might be considered something of an exception to the normal Freshman profile. Well, I would contend that she is an exception, irrespective of her relative youth, and of her current shooting funk. The latter factor bothers me the least. As anyone who’s played much basketball knows, shooting is all about confidence…when it’s running high, one is “shocked” by any shot, from any distance, that fails to fall. When it’s low, and especially when it’s perilously low, one’s expectations decline accordingly. Hers is shot right now, unsurprising for a Freshman trying with all her might to make a meaningful contribution and to live up to expectations.

On the other hand, I’ve seen very few Freshman players exhibit the court awareness and vision that she has, which provides her the opportunity to make a real contribution while awaiting a restoration of confidence in her shooting. Because that confidence, at this point, is woefully low, and because her passing ability remains high, she has a tendency to pass up scoring opportunities and execute one pass too many, but she knows way better than most Freshmen how and where to find open teammates, and that bodes well for her future success. Combine that with the fact that she has a big body for a guard, and is a pretty competent ball-handler, all of which encourages me to envision a high ceiling for her.

Just you wait, Husky fans…’tain’t all gloom ‘n doom, I promise!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nicely said. I noted that after the first 2 games, even tho she's a bagel in shooting (scored 1 point on a FT), her averages for rebounds (1.5), assists (3.5) and steals (2) with only 1 turnover in 2 games is solid for a freshman guard.

I don't think she will ever be "great" at anything (Tuck IMHO wasn't "great" at anything either), but I think she will be solid to really good at everything. Also, good news for Vandy - she wasn't ready to faint at the start of the game, so there's a big improvement already!

Reaction Score
From reading posts all over The Boneyard today, I realize that this is supposed to be gloom and doom time for a fanbase that has been encouraged to believe that our favorite team is predestined to win a National Championship each and every year. At the risk of getting folks more riled up than they already appear to be, I’m seeing some positive signs, even in areas that are currently drawing the most vociferous complaints, and even from the Freshman players, Ania in particular. Disagree with my thoughts, as you inevitably will, but please don’t get angry with me for trying to inject a note of positivity on what appears to be Prozac Thursday!

I remember a time when even notoriously impatient UConn fans understood that Freshman players, newly-inducted into Geno’s demanding system, would be unlikely instant contributors to the team’s success…so much to learn, such a leap from their prior levels of competition. Now, in Ania’s case, I will grant that, given her international experience, she might be considered something of an exception to the normal Freshman profile. Well, I would contend that she is an exception, irrespective of her relative youth, and of her current shooting funk. The latter factor bothers me the least. As anyone who’s played much basketball knows, shooting is all about confidence…when it’s running high, one is “shocked” by any shot, from any distance, that fails to fall. When it’s low, and especially when it’s perilously low, one’s expectations decline accordingly. Hers is shot right now, unsurprising for a Freshman trying with all her might to make a meaningful contribution and to live up to expectations.

On the other hand, I’ve seen very few Freshman players exhibit the court awareness and vision that she has, which provides her the opportunity to make a real contribution while awaiting a restoration of confidence in her shooting. Because that confidence, at this point, is woefully low, and because her passing ability remains high, she has a tendency to pass up scoring opportunities and execute one pass too many, but she knows way better than most Freshmen how and where to find open teammates, and that bodes well for her future success. Combine that with the fact that she has a big body for a guard, and is a pretty competent ball-handler, all of which encourages me to envision a high ceiling for her.

I have faith in Geno and the staff; I have more faith in the team since they all want to be great, no matter how hard it might be.

Reaction Score

I agree and appreciate this post very much. I'm shocked at some of the, quite frankly, mean things being said about her speed and shooting thus far, and the anger that some people have through the first two games generally. Have they played great? No, not for the most part. That doesn't meant though that they aren't putting in the effort and don't have the desire. It'll take time for them to mesh as a team and to feel more comfortable. It might be ugly for awhile but that's no reason for anyone to speak that harshly about these young women. I agree that they will come around!

Reaction Score

Oh Petunia, I love how you think and agree wholeheartedly! Thanks

Reaction Score

Nice post.
She really moves well without the ball like an experienced player.
But it looks to me that her teammates don’t reward her and pass to her when she gets open especially on fast breaks
Maybe they will when Her shooting skill and confidence improves?..
At any rate like her play

Reaction Score

Astute observations. But having said that, clearly, Geno has to go.

Reaction Score
Part of my frustration is seeing freshmen at other schools get big minutes, have plays run for them, and produce--some end up becoming very successful. Christyn was put in that kind of situation and did very well as a freshman. I don't think anyone has been rude about the team (though I haven't read all the comments on every thread). If anything, it's criticism that is warranted based on how they played. Geno isn't sitting there telling the whole team they're precious angels that can do no wrong. Why should the fanbase expect to exalt players that haven't shown their true potential? Most of what I've read about Anna on here is what she'll need to improve on as the season goes on and how good she really could be. Not exactly mean-spirited comments. Criticism is just as important as praise.

Reaction Score

Three Cheers for the Big P. and ANIA.
2 of the 3 new guys, who are allowed to play, (a dig I had to throw in) Are doing well. Ania took a 3 attempt, assists like a Pro, Rebound and dishes like a Pro. She'll settle in and make those layups, she like Griffin is trying too hard to please. When she sits back and plays the game she knows so well--it will be smoooth!
Griffin, I saw those flashes of her leaping, rebounding scoring the kid has great talent. When she remembers she's the 2 part of H20 and goes with the flow, happy days will be here (no Fonz however).
Thank you Big P---we are bless with those Geno delivered.
Remember in APRIL---oh, woe is me--hand wringing--WOE--not enough kids to put a team on the floor--who will we get--Geno can't recruit any more--Uconn is history---WOE is me. Oh, ye of little faith (in my best Irish accent). so soon we forget.. Thank Big P.

Reaction Score
Nicely said. I noted that after the first 2 games, even tho she's a bagel in shooting (scored 1 point on a FT), her averages for rebounds (1.5), assists (3.5) and steals (2) with only 1 turnover in 2 games is solid for a freshman guard.

I don't think she will ever be "great" at anything (Tuck IMHO wasn't "great" at anything either), but I think she will be solid to really good at everything. Also, good news for Vandy - she wasn't ready to faint at the start of the game, so there's a big improvement already!
Other than 3 pointers, she has her game NCAA ready. Predict 1-2 game so hot shooting and her mojo will be back.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
There is a reason why freshmen typically struggle in their first year at UCONN..
It's because their minds are occupied trying to fully understand and execute the team's read and react system. Most are just overwhelmed and are nervous, which affects their confidence, And we all know confidence affects shooting.

A.M. will be just fine. After all, the mere fact that Geno has her in the starting lineup should say what he truly believes she can bring/add to his team..

I'm actually thankful they are not currently scoring as much as they are capable of, because it makes the team have to rely on their defense to get them out of close game situations, which can only bid well later on as we get into March and Hopefully April.

Reaction Score

ABSOLUTELY< AGREE

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think tthe thing that surprised me was that she doesn’t seem to have the same quick feet that she had playing overseas. There are times out there that she looks like she’s playing in the lead sneakers. She looks like she is always pressing or playing at the top of her ability. Almost as if she adds an extra processing second before she acts. If that’s all it is it’ll disappear with more game time.

I suspect that she may be facing the same thing with her shot. Just a little bit of uncertainty in a new environment.

Reaction Score
I get a real Kelly Faris feeling with her. Someone who does all the dirty work, not flashy, and a little bit of scoring but never the leading scorer. Perfect for UConn to add depth. We need a couple more because Bent and Irwin just haven't been able to do it......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom