Aneesah Morrow list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aneesah Morrow list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno knows what he needs, betts I really hope he gets someone tall to clog up the middle. :D

Reaction Score
I think she did this because Doug allowed it and she kinda had to. Outside of Darrione, they didn’t have much more offense. Losing Deja Church, Lexi Held and Sonya Morris was a lot for them.

Notre Dame has a lot more offensive weapons and an All-American PG to run that offense.
Saw several games where Doug and Morrow argued, including the first UConn game where she rarely ventured down low in the post, threw up numerous wild 3's, and was eventually benched for several minutes. Great scorer but not a team player. Suspect there are several teams Geno would like to see her join and disrupt.

Reaction Score
Morrow took 35.5% of DePaul’s shots. The players at ND going to be good with that? She’s not quite a black hole, but it’s close

View attachment 87287
Morrow has this potential issue with many of the top contenders for her service. Doug Bruno tailored the system around her. When she goes to a very good team it is more likely she will be expected to fit into the existing system. As a short strong big, her game is very different and that makes it more of a challenge to blend into a system as well.

As you point out she takes a ton of the team's shots. That by itself could be an issue, but worse, she takes many bad shots. Her three point % suggests that she should never shoot them period. Most coaches on very good teams would have to tell her to stop. Cut your shot attempts down significantly and improve your efficiency by a big margin.

With the other players reactions, I would think on a team like Notre Dame at a minimum you would need the endorsement by Olivia Miles. She directs the team and who gets the ball so Ivy, Morrow and Miles (sounds like a law firm) would have to be on the same page as to how she would be used.

Morrow is a fit question for many of her top suitors IMO and the percentage of shots she takes, and the percentage she makes of threes are big reasons for that.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Although the portal helps kids who are not happy its killing their current team. Coaches who are not expecting top players to transfer are not recruiting players for their position in most cases. When a kid leaves unexpectedly there is a void to fill. Kids want NILs and to contend for a NC. So for them its good. In many cases, not all, that leave their team with an empty feeling. Many coaches can not fill that spot. In UConns case with so. Geno recruits players to fill a position when the player infront of them is a junior giving that player coming in time to learn the system without any pressure. For example Paige entering her senior year with a covid year and a year to recover from her injury and Geno has KK and Ashlynn waiting in the wings. By spacing recruiting as Geno does there is less chance that players will leave. I call it spacing recruiting. Geno and UConn have the advantage of almost every year making the FF so recruits come here anticipating that and hopes for NILs/monies. The portal imo causes problems for coaches and roses for players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Although the portal helps kids who are not happy its killing their current team. Coaches who are not expecting top players to transfer are not recruiting players for their position in most cases. When a kid leaves unexpectedly there is a void to fill. Kids want NILs and to contend for a NC. So for them its good. In many cases, not all, that leave their team with an empty feeling. Many coaches can not fill that spot. In UConns case with so. Geno recruits players to fill a position when the player infront of them is a junior giving that player coming in time to learn the system without any pressure. For example Paige entering her senior year with a covid year and a year to recover from her injury and Geno has KK and Ashlynn waiting in the wings. By spacing recruiting as Geno does there is less chance that players will leave. I call it spacing recruiting. Geno and UConn have the advantage of almost every year making the FF so recruits come here anticipating that and hopes for NILs/monies. The portal imo causes problems for coaches and roses for players.
Tony, I generally agree. But the grass isn’t always greener for transfers. Just ask Ashley Owusu who earned AA recognition at MD, but decided to transfer to VA Tech where she ultimately ended up on the bench, not even part of VA Tech’s regular rotation. Now, with one final year of eligibility, Owusu is in the transfer portal a second time, trying to salvage her once promising basketball career.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Actually, no they didn't. Iowa shot 61.8% from 2 (21-34) and just 30.4% from 3 (7-23).
An outside shot is not exclusively a three-point shot. What was their two-point percentage?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, no they didn't. Iowa shot 61.8% from 2 (21-34) and just 30.4% from 3 (7-23).
Exactly. Iowa went to school on UConn’s surprisingly close game against SC, despite being shorthanded. The Huskies spread the floor and repeatedly beat the bigger Gamecocks off the dribble for layups. Clark did that over and over and when SC tried to help on her, she dumped the ball off to Czinano for easy layups.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was saying Iowa hit threes against So Carolina (7-23) while UConn couldn’t, going only 2-6. Azzi wasn’t available that day so Lou Lopez Senechal was th only perimeter sharpshooter and the Gamecocks were all over her (she still scored 19, our Lou). UConn lost by 4, another three point shooter would have made a difference

Reaction Score
Geno is missing true size in the 6'6-6'7" inch range. I showed against a player like Cardoso. LSU has a big coming in. Betts with 3 years left would be the one true fit. That allows ice to play the four or the five especially after Edwards graduates. There are not many super tall super talented American bigs of that size over the next few classes. There is a 6'5" big in New York in a few years.
Watching Betts I noticed two things. She has good hands and usually catches the pass which is vital for any post player on a great team. The second was her foot speed was just okay and on next years team the court is going to move super fast and every one will need to keep up. The good news is she has 3 years left and post players with her skillset have done well at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Looking at Morrow's stats it appears she is an average shooter who shoots the ball a lot. Maybe she felt the pressure to carry the team every night and that impacted her stats a little but unless she is a juggernaut on defense I don't see her going to a team like UCONN. I think her game aligns more with SC in the group most likely to contend.

Reaction Score
The Huskies spread the floor and repeatedly beat the bigger Gamecocks off the dribble for layups
I was with you until the phrase “bigger Gamecocks.” Sure they were bigger in the frontcourt. Is that who we were beating off the dribble? In the backcourt we were bigger, right? Or at least similarly tall.

Reaction Score
Iowa beat South Carolina with a 6-3 center. They hit their outside shots
Yes. But let's be honest. Were those two teams to play a 5-game series, even a 3-game championship series, South Carolina wins every other game. South Carolina dominated in virtually every stat. They scored well as well.

That game was a fluke. And it was no surprise that Iowa got blown out the very next game by LSU, a team that South Carolina had defeated. The stars aligned for one night. Luck, not the better team.

Reaction Score
And how long ago did we win #11? Who besides AE can play underneath? AM has done this for 2 years. If our budding post players can show that they can shine with defense and offense (!!), AM can reduce her minutes and play even better. NO, I cannot be sure that we have adequate post support on the active roster.

Exactly. Coach Geno won most of those titles with great post players: four in a row with superstar post/forward Breanna Stewart. We won two with, yes, Maya Moore, but with All-American post player Tina Charles underneath. Then there was Rebecca Lobo for one. And others. So if memory serves, Connecticut only won NC's without a great post player during Diana Taurasi's run of three straight. She willed a mediocre team to victory with her brilliance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was with you until the phrase “bigger Gamecocks.” Sure they were bigger in the frontcourt. Is that who we were beating off the dribble? In the backcourt we were bigger, right? Or at least similarly tall.
Dorka, Aaliyah & Aubrey repeatedly beat their defender off the dribble against SC. In fact, Aaliyah was the best player on the court.

Reaction Score
Just as a hirsute baseball player must lose his beard when coming to the Yankees
Morrow would have to leave her eyelashes in the locker room.
I don’t see that happening.
Beale didn't leave her eyelashes in the locker room. Now, if you were being metaphorical . . .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes. But let's be honest. Were those two teams to play a 5-game series, even a 3-game championship series, South Carolina wins every other game. South Carolina dominated in virtually every stat. They scored well as well.

That game was a fluke. And it was no surprise that Iowa got blown out the very next game by LSU, a team that South Carolina had defeated. The stars aligned for one night. Luck, not the better team.
Strawman argument. Iowa beat South Carolina with a smaller team, that’s a fact. It’s possible for a team without a 6-6 or 6-7 center to win against South Carolina.

People saying Geno has to get one of these very tall women, throwing it out there as though there are 10 elite prospects in every recruiting class, are ignoring the fact that it’s possible to win without one. And it’s not like he’s ignoring the few that are out there; he recruited Lauren Betts, for example, but it’s tough to beat out a Stanford education

Did Iowa have some luck in the game? sure, but South Carolina needed luck against UConn (injured Azzi, blown call on the inbounds handoff) to beat UConn. That’s part of the game.

Reaction Score
Isn't Geno a personal friend of the DePaul coach? Does this enter into the equation somehow in regards to Morrow's portal transfer?

Reaction Score

It's remarkable how often Iowa got 'lucky' during the past season. With a different set of officials, I doubt LSU would have blown out Iowa, let alone possibly win.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Coach Geno won most of those titles with great post players: four in a row with superstar post/forward Breanna Stewart. We won two with, yes, Maya Moore, but with All-American post player Tina Charles underneath. Then there was Rebecca Lobo for one. And others. So if memory serves, Connecticut only won NC's without a great post player during Diana Taurasi's run of three straight. She willed a mediocre team to victory with her brilliance.
DT's teammates in '03 and '04 were not 'mediocre.' I really wish BYers would stop with that nonsense.

Reaction Score

Strawman argument. Iowa beat South Carolina with a smaller team, that’s a fact. It’s possible for a team without a 6-6 or 6-7 center to win against South Carolina.

People saying Geno has to get one of these very tall women, throwing it out there as though there are 10 elite prospects in every recruiting class, are ignoring the fact that it’s possible to win without one. And it’s not like he’s ignoring the few that are out there; he recruited Lauren Betts, for example, but it’s tough to beat out a Stanford education

Did Iowa have some luck in the game? sure, but South Carolina needed luck against UConn (injured Azzi, blown call on the inbounds handoff) to beat UConn. That’s part of the game.
Iowa outplayed and outcoached South Carolina. Every game involves elements of luck for both teams.

Did UConn get 'lucky' to beat NC State in the Elite Eight in '22? Did the Huskies get 'lucky' to beat Stanford in the Final Four? No, they outplayed and outcoached their opponents, same as Iowa did to SC.

Reaction Score

South Carolina outrebounded Iowa 49 to 25. They took 20 more shots. Iowa won at the free throw line, making all 14 of its shots, while South Carolina missed 4 of its 13 free throws. South Carolina dominated underneath. They clobbered Iowa, except for Clark. Would South Carolina miss 16 of 20 three's if they played them again? Not likely.

You can't win a NC without a great post player. Look at past NC's: A'ja Wilson. Aaliya Boston. Britney Griner. And look at UConn teams and the posts we won with.

Reaction Score
In Geno I trust!
Me, too. And I don't think UCONN will sign anyone, unless provoked by an injury or a surprise, end of season surgery. The big stars in the portal all have a few things in common; they want to play ( start ); they want to be on a team that can go all the way in the Big Dance. UCONN has no one they intend to move out of the line-up, for a portal transfer. They have to assume a starting line-up of Paige and Azzi and Edwards and Carolina and Ice Brady. Or maybe Nikka starts and Caroline or Azzi is a substitute. And I haven't even mentioned KK Arnold or Ashley Shade. Even though we have one scholarship still to offer, there is no room in the INN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
South Carolina outrebounded Iowa 49 to 25. They took 20 more shots. Iowa won at the free throw line, making all 14 of its shots, while South Carolina missed 4 of its 13 free throws. South Carolina dominated underneath. They clobbered Iowa, except for Clark. Would South Carolina miss 16 of 20 three's if they played them again? Not likely.

You can't win a NC without a great post player. Look at past NC's: A'ja Wilson. Aaliya Boston. Britney Griner. And look at UConn teams and the posts we won with.
Who was the great post player in 2000 with Shea and Svet? Kelly Schumacher
Who was the great post player when Diana carried the team to a championship in 2003? Jess Moore

And I was under the impression we have a great forward in Aaliyah Edwards.

Reaction Score
Beale didn't leave her eyelashes in the locker room. Now, if you were being metaphorical . . .
FYI I stayed at Mohegan the night before the FSU game in December. The morning of the game I ran over to Fox Woods to go to the Merrell outlet. Guess what is in the vending machine by the elevators? That's right fake eyelashes. Different lengths, different colors. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom