Andy Katz: Napier & Boatright should stay | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz: Napier & Boatright should stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMHO if you are not a GUARANTEED 1rst round pick you have no business declaring early for the draft. if you need money 2nd round money isnt guaranteed and you can get cut quickly or maybe not even drafted at all. i think dd and bazz would be mid second round picks at best and boat would not get drafted at all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
honestly i think people underrate our prospects for next year if everyone returns. who can you say should definitively be better than us? maybe duke, whoever gets wiggins and...? kentucky if their freshman pan out, but thats true every year

Yes. When you've got the 45th best team in the country and if bring everyone back calling for a potential national championship is underrating your prospects.

I think three national championships have blinded some folks to how hard they are to win and what kind of team you need to get one.

I'm sure Katz is just an idiot but he's talking about winning the conference. Maybe start with that. That's hardly guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Yes. When you've got the 45th best team in the country and if bring everyone back calling for a potential national championship is underrating your prospects.

I think three national championships have blinded some folks to how hard they are to win and what kind of team you need to get one.

I'm sure Katz is just an idiot but he's talking about winning the conference. Maybe start with that. That's hardly guaranteed.

Come on man, the team I watched play this year went toe-to-toe with some of the best teams in the country, and beat a bunch of them. A flurry of injuries derailed things a bit late in the year, but this was no doubt a top 25 team this year with everyone healthy. Top 25 teams that return their starting 5 typically have pretty high expectations. Now the tricky part is actually getting everyone to come back, but i have a feeling we will.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Come on man, the team I watched play this year went toe-to-toe with some of the best teams in the country, and beat a bunch of them. A flurry of injuries derailed things a bit late in the year, but this was no doubt a top 25 team this year with everyone healthy. Top 25 teams that return their starting 5 typically have pretty high expectations. Now the tricky part is actually getting everyone to come back, but i have a feeling we will.

The computers disagree across the board. Maybe they are all wrong - but even before the injuries they were 40th.

Reaction Score

There is no guarantee. That's important to concede.

They were 20-10.

They lost two games without their best player.
They lost one game where the ref waived off a basket in OT for their own mistake.

All of their losses, except Louisville, were games they could have won (that's different, than say the 2003 team, which got blown out by VT, for instance). New Mexico and NC State, in particular, are the types of games where a big--any big--would have helped us win.

What's difficult is that we don't know what this team could have done in the post-season, which is usually a good measure of what to expect for the next year. The 2002-03 team went into the post-season with 8 losses (VT and BC being particularly heinous, at the loss at a 17-15 UNC team was also ugly). They got to the conference title game, and then lost to Texas.

The 2003 team was 10-6 in the regular season...I think without injuries or just weirdnesses, this team is somewhere between 11-7 and 13-5. I think they're comparable.

The big difference--Okafor. We don't have him next year, or anyone near his caliber. But I think any production down low turns this team into a dangerous team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

They were 20-10.

They lost one game where the ref waived off a basket in OT for their own mistake.

All of their losses, except Louisville, were games they could have won (that's different, than say the 2003 team, which got blown out by VT, for instance). New Mexico and NC State, in particular, are the types of games where a big--any big--would have helped us win.

What's difficult is that we don't know what this team could have done in the post-season, which is usually a good measure of what to expect for the next year. The 2002-03 team went into the post-season with 8 losses (VT and BC being particularly heinous, at the loss at a 17-15 UNC team was also ugly). They got to the conference title game, and then lost to Texas.

The 2003 team was 10-6 in the regular season...I think without injuries or just weirdnesses, this team is somewhere between 11-7 and 13-5. I think they're comparable.

The big difference--Okafor. We don't have him next year, or anyone near his caliber. But I think any production down low turns this team into a dangerous team.

Yeah that's one side of the equation. The other is they needed Overtimes to beat USF at home, Providence twice and Quinnipiac. It works both ways.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

They were 20-10.

This.

No one is making guarantees. But with even modest improvement in the frontcourt we are definitely in the running if everyone returns.

Reaction Score
Yeah that's one side of the equation. The other is they needed Overtimes to beat USF at home, Providence twice and Quinnipiac. It works both ways.
True. But the 2007-08 team beat Morgan State by 4, UCF by 3, and needed OT to beat USF as well.

We've had all sorts of good teams struggle to win "easy" games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
True. But the 2007-08 team beat Morgan State by 4, UCF by 3, and needed OT to beat USF as well.

We've had all sorts of good teams struggle to win "easy" games.

It's a good team with potential. The cart is a mile ahead of the horse at this point.

Reaction Score

I certainly understand your point and im pretty well-versed in the different computer rankings and the various metrics they draw their information from. To be frank, the 20+ minutes we gave Tyler and 10+ minutes we gave RJ pretty much kill us in the eyes of the computers. And thats fair because we didnt really have any better options, but my optimism is based on projecting more minutes for DD and Giffey, Wolf if hes available, and even a moderate improvement from Nolan.

Reaction Score
A little more muscle on TO wouldn't hurt. TO has offensive game that is light years ahead of Nolan.
CAN PEOPLE STOP USING THE PHRASE "LIGHTYEARS AHEAD" PLEASE? CAN BAZZ COMING BACK TAKE US TO INFINITY AND BEYOND?????

Sorry, that wasn't about you.

Reaction Score
TO's offensive game isn't light years ahead of anyone. Someone who averages 4 points a game as a starter barely has an offensive game.

Reaction Score
..And it's bad when the color guy tells us what Olander's going to do before he actually does it... "He wants to go to that right shoulder." and 99.9% of the time, they are correct.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about Phil Nolan's offensive game and I think he has one, just didn't look for any. It was baby steps for Phil to get playing time and he had to do it with hard work, rebounding, boxing out and guarding bigs. He seemed to get some confidence from the staff there and now he can incorporate some offense.......I think he can shoot the ball and can also put it on the floor a little but one thing at a time for the young man!

Reaction Score
Right, bash the one guy who constantly gives us positive press nationally
Really? Katz is a company guy in the truest sense and says what Espn scripts for him. He lacks originality or any real credible sources. Like McMurphy, he tells us things after the fact and nothing new. I am pretty sure Jay Bilas is always pro UConn and was pro Calhoun. So if you think Katz is on our side, I guess that makes a total of 2.

Reaction Score
Really? Katz is a company guy in the truest sense and says what Espn scripts for him. He lacks originality or any real credible sources. Like McMurphy, he tells us things after the fact and nothing new. I am pretty sure Jay Bilas is always pro UConn and was pro Calhoun. So if you think Katz is on our side, I guess that makes a total of 2.

2, plus everyone else on this post who agreed with how ridiculous your comment regarding Katz was. It's amazing how far off base you are on this, but what's even more amazing is that you truly believe this nonsense to be true.

Reaction Score
A little more muscle on TO wouldn't hurt. TO has offensive game that is light years ahead of Nolan.

Its going to be the year 2030 and the TO fanclub members are still gonna be recounting the tales of TO hitting jumpers in practice. Ya'll got to let it go, its not gonna happen.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Its going to be the year 2030 and the TO fanclub members are still gonna be recounting the tales of TO hitting jumpers in practice. Ya'll got to let it go, its not gonna happen.

Some days Olander looks promising. Most days, you lower your head in disappointment.

Reaction Score
DJct, are you DJ Dogpound? Are you mad because they don't show you during timeouts and they show Katz? Are you made that you don't get to interview KO after games and Katz does?

Reaction Score
DJct, are you DJ Dogpound? Are you mad because they don't show you during timeouts and they show Katz? Are you made that you don't get to interview KO after games and Katz does?

I am mad that Espn, who employs Katz, orchestrated the demise of the Big East and has constantly tried to devalue the UConn brand yet they still find us relevant enough to send a guy like Katz to report. I find that frustrating and hypocritical and won't apologize to you or Matt from Chicago because I refuse to drink from the Katz kool aid. I also know enough about basketball and UConn to realize that if bazz and boat stay, UConn could be good and if they leave, UConn won't be as good. I have enough confidence in my own opinions that I don't need a guy like Katz to simply restate the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom