Andy Katz: Napier & Boatright should stay | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz: Napier & Boatright should stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I went out to dinner with friends last weekend and at the end of the evening two of them gave me their condolences for UConn's "bad season". True I live on the West Coast but I still was puzzled. When I explained to them that I, on the contrary believed that UConn had a very good season both said that it was just something negative that they had read in the newspaper about the team.
There's a perception albeit brought on by the media that UConn and the words "doom and gloom" are the same. To me this was one of the most refreshing seasons that I have experienced with any UConn team, but that's my bias. I'm a die-hard fan. It's not the perception of anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in the success of the team. If Andy Katz or anyone not named Dana at ESPN wants to write something that I'm hoping happens in the future then I'm all for it!

Reaction Score
I like Katz, you can tell the guy is a UConn fan.

It's pretty absurd that this is basically the standard that a media guy has to meet to be accepted around here, and even a guy like Katz who is clearly on UConn's jock is not a big enough fan for some people.

Maybe the players can write stories about themselves and Ollie can mail them to ESPN.

Reaction Score
He liked Coach Calhoun also but he loves Kevin Ollie............Andy has been around Storrs a lot and this article is good........keep'em coming Andy!!

Reaction Score
He liked Coach Calhoun also but he loves Kevin Ollie............Andy has been around Storrs a lot and this article is good........keep'em coming Andy!!

He has high praise for KO in his podcast today, and says UConn should be allowed to play in BE tourney. I started a thread with the podcast

Reaction Score
As much as I'd like to think we could be Final 4 material next year, I don't see it yet. Our guards + DD are top notch but we still will lack the inside presence that hurts us against bigger teams. Maybe that will come over the course of the season with the addition of our 2 new big men... I certainly hope so.. Certainly Top 25 material to start the season.

Reaction Score
Yes I understand what you are saying. I'm saying that the national championship talk is ridiculously premature.
The last itme I heard that UCONN was a lock for the Final Four was in 2006. I hate the word "lock".

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
As much as I'd like to think we could be Final 4 material next year, I don't see it yet. Our guards + DD are top notch but we still will lack the inside presence that hurts us against bigger teams. Maybe that will come over the course of the season with the addition of our 2 new big men... I certainly hope so.. Certainly Top 25 material to start the season.

I hear your concerns, but I think you may be underestimating Nolan a little, the kid likes to get dirty downlow (nothin "soft" about his game), and he'll only get bigger and better over the summer. Haven't seen much tape on Facey, but I'm definately expecting big things from Nolan in his Soph campaign....write it down

Reaction Score
A little more muscle on TO wouldn't hurt. TO has offensive game that is light years ahead of Nolan.

Reaction Score
Top 5 backcourt with a legit player of the year candidate, tons of experience, potential lottery pick 6-9 wing, serviceable front court with some size. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Reaction Score
This board in general is way too far out ahead of what their real prospects are for next year. They have a chance to be a good team - they aren't some preseason Top 5 team.
I think the board's expectations are too high. That said, if Daniels becomes the go-to guy, Calhoun continues to improve, they get something from the 5, and Napier-Boat can coexist...I think they can make some real noise.

Reaction Score
That's kind of where I'm at also. If they can get a good contribution out of the 5 position next year from Wolf or 1 or both of the new bigs then I'm ten toes in. Just a little scoring and good rebounding and interior defense. The 5 is just such an unkown right now and I don't think you can be top 5 good the way the team played this year.

Hope Daniels can get stronger because I have no problem with him playing the 4. A face up 4 is what most teams in college and the NBA are playing.

Reaction Score
That's kind of where I'm at also. If they can get a good contribution out of the 5 position next year from Wolf or 1 or both of the new bigs then I'm ten toes in. Just a little scoring and good rebounding and interior defense. The 5 is just such an unkown right now and I don't think you can be top 5 good the way the team played this year.

Hope Daniels can get stronger because I have no problem with him playing the 4. A face up 4 is what most teams in college and the NBA are playing.

We need to somehow get this pinned somewhere on the boneyard, should be a message prompt that you have to agree to before accessing the site.

Reaction Score
I like Katz, you can tell the guy is a UConn fan.

I'm not sure about the UConn fan stuff, you would know better than I. But he has an office in Bristol allowing him to attend a lot of our games. Getting paid for a short commute beats hopping around the country for the same assignment (that I do know).

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about the UConn fan stuff, you would know better than I. But he has an office in Bristol allowing him to attend a lot of our games. Getting paid for a short commute beats hopping around the country for the same assignment (that I do know).

Not to mention, he plays golf with Ollie in Glastonbury

Reaction Score
We need to somehow get this pinned somewhere on the boneyard, should be a message prompt that you have to agree to before accessing the site.
Yup, no clue why so many on the board want Daniels moved to the 3, it really shows a lack of basketball knowledge.

Reaction Score
And Katz lives in West Hartford. That's as short a trip to cover a major college basketball team as probably anyone has.

Katz has been in West Hartford a long time. So of course he's going to end up being a UConn fan living there for so long. Who else is he going to root for? He grew up in Newton, MA but I highly doubt he's a BCU fan.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I went out to dinner with friends last weekend and at the end of the evening two of them gave me their condolences for UConn's "bad season". True I live on the West Coast but I still was puzzled. When I explained to them that I, on the contrary believed that UConn had a very good season both said that it was just something negative that they had read in the newspaper about the team.
There's a perception albeit brought on by the media that UConn and the words "doom and gloom" are the same. To me this was one of the most refreshing seasons that I have experienced with any UConn team, but that's my bias. I'm a die-hard fan. It's not the perception of anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in the success of the team. If Andy Katz or anyone not named Dana at ESPN wants to write something that I'm hoping happens in the future then I'm all for it!
I'd look at your friends statement as a positive. They are used to seeing UConn as one of the favorites to win it all in the NCAA. No appearance means it can't happen and they feel badly for you! They are more aware than you think knowing if UConn could have played in the tournaments Cuse would have been their B*tch!:)

Reaction Score
Katz should stick to covering the teams that his employer deem worthy. Write about Pitt or Syracuse. Stop sweating UConn. You are not wanted. More importantly, your opinions, as elementary as they are, mean nothing to us.

its been pointed out more than once now but....this is an awful post

Reaction Score
honestly i think people underrate our prospects for next year if everyone returns. who can you say should definitively be better than us? maybe duke, whoever gets wiggins and...? kentucky if their freshman pan out, but thats true every year

Reaction Score
I'd look at your friends statement as a positive. They are used to seeing UConn as one of the favorites to win it all in the NCAA. No appearance means it can't happen and they feel badly for you! They are more aware than you think knowing if UConn could have played in the tournaments Cuse would have been their B*tch!:)

One of them is a KU graduate and a fervent supporter of that team. I think that he's glad we're not in!:)

Reaction Score
A little more muscle on TO wouldn't hurt. TO has offensive game that is light years ahead of Nolan.

Tyler's regression this year was more apparent than any player in recent memory, whereas Nolan showed actual improvement late in the season. Besides if no one leaves we don't need a scoring 5, we need one who can rebound and play D, in which case I'll take Phil all day long over Tyler.

Reaction Score
Tyler's regression this year was more apparent than any player in recent memory, whereas Nolan showed actual improvement late in the season. Besides if no one leaves we don't need a scoring 5, we need one who can rebound and play D, in which case I'll take Phil all day long over Tyler.

I don't think TO regressed, I just think he was exposed. He has no business playing 25 minutes a game or trying to rebound against stronger, faster, more athletic guys.

I agree that Nolan should get more minutes next year.

Reaction Score
Katz should stick to covering the teams that his employer deem worthy. Write about Pitt or Syracuse. Stop sweating UConn. You are not wanted. More importantly, your opinions, as elementary as they are, mean nothing to us.
Right, bash the one guy who constantly gives us positive press nationally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET