Andrew Nembhard Official Visit | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Andrew Nembhard Official Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We don't need more flotsam on the roster, we need impact players right away.
"More flotsam"?

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I've looked at the roster, and I don't think there's a single player that I can describe as "flotsam." Some are inexperienced freshmen who will need time and hard work to develop. Others are coming off injury. But every one of them has the potential to be a player who really helps the team, the operative word being potential. Is there someone without that potential? Who were you referring to? Everyone who's not a top 20 ranked recruit?

Reaction Score
"More flotsam"?

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I've looked at the roster, and I don't think there's a single player that I can describe as "flotsam." Some are inexperienced freshmen who will need time and hard work to develop. Others are coming off injury. But every one of them has the potential to be a player who really helps the team, the operative word being potential. Is there someone without that potential? Who were you referring to? Everyone who's not a top 20 ranked recruit?
Our recruiting was down and we took some fliers on some kids. They might turn out to be solid players or they might not be Uconn level players. The point is we need all our recruits to be impact players in this class considering we are coming off a down class.

I don't understand your "Everyone who's not a top 20 ranked recruit" comment? We don't have a single top 20 ranked recruit on our entire roster.

Reaction Score
Our recruiting was down and we took some fliers on some kids. They might turn out to be solid players or they might not be Uconn level players. The point is we need all our recruits to be impact players in this class considering we are coming off a down class.

I don't understand your "Everyone who's not a top 20 ranked recruit" comment? We don't have a single top 20 ranked recruit on our entire roster.

I'm actually very pleased. I don't know what 'fliers' means unless you're talking about a high flyer like Williams, who was an Oregon commit and had other high major offers. I love that we were able to procure senior leadership to add to a roster that is already supremely talented. We also added another guy with some nice offers, late, who had the perfect body to be groomed behind our stars.

Then, as the cherry on top, you throw in a Top 100 talent in Sid Wilson.

I am not shy about giving this staff credit. If this was a down year, we're in very good shape... even if we aren't renting a "Top 20" for a year or so.

Reaction Score
I'm actually very pleased. I don't know what 'fliers' means unless you're talking about a high flyer like Williams, who was an Oregon commit and had other high major offers. I love that we were able to procure senior leadership to add to a roster that is already supremely talented. We also added another guy with some nice offers, late, who had the perfect body to be groomed behind our stars.

Then, as the cherry on top, you throw in a Top 100 talent in Sid Wilson.

I am not shy about giving this staff credit. If this was a down year, we're in very good shape... even if we aren't renting a "Top 20" for a year or so.

Did Kwintin Williams ever actually commit to Oregon? I've read it several times on here but haven't found any evidence that it actually happened.

Reaction Score
"More flotsam"?

"Flotsam" is too harsh. But it's not hard to envision a scenario where most of the 2017 additions (Anderson, Onuorah, Cobb, Whaley, Polley, Carlton, Williams), i.e. more than half of the roster, turn out to be sub-UConn-standard players.

He's right that we don't need more depth pieces, reaches, or raw potential in the 2018 class. We need studs who can play right away.

pj

Reaction Score

The part I've bolded is simply not true. We need one impact player at every position and two-three creditable backups on any 13 man roster. For 2018, assuming Jalen and Terry leave, we've got Alterique, Akinjo, Christian, Sid Wilson, and Polley as players at the perimeter, we could really use one more (hopefully Carey or Nembhard); and at PF-C we've got Cobb, Diarra, Williams, Carlton, and Whaley, plus Polley and Wilson might be to fill in at stretch 4 at times. I think Diarra and Williams both may be impact players at PF. We need one player from among Cobb, Carlton, Whaley, and possibly another recruit (Carrigan or Shittu) to step up at C. That's it.

Reaction Score
Don't know why this is hard for some to grasp. We took some reaches that we wouldn't take in a normal recruiting year because of circumstances and as of now we don't know if a single player in our frontcourt is any good. We all hope they pan out and are good but we just don't know. All our recruits need to be impact guys now, don't need any other end of the bench or project types.

pj

Reaction Score
Don't know why this is hard for some to grasp. We took some reaches that we wouldn't take in a normal recruiting year because of circumstances and as of now we don't know if a single player in our frontcourt is any good. We all hope they pan out and are good but we just don't know. All our recruits need to be impact guys now, don't need any other end of the bench or project types.

Certainly we would like every recruit to be an impact player, and we would hope that recruits would see the opportunity to play right away. But I think we're well enough situated that we can focus on what's missing from the roster (such as a long shot-blocking center, or a tall distributing guard) as much as on "impact".

Reaction Score
The most sure thing in our froncourt is a redshirt freshman with chronic knee pain. What you're saying is completely fair.

KO really needs to coach up the frontcourt this year. There's a lot of bodies, but if none of them step up, it won't be a good year for Ollie. He has the opportunity to make himself look very good if a big breaks out.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Exactly. And yet, I'm optimistic that this season will be a step, or two, or three up from last.

We filled out a sparse roster with good players who were available and want to play for Ollie. If they work hard and play hard, they can all help the team. None are flotsam. And for next year, I think things are going pretty well so far.

Reaction Score
Exactly. And yet, I'm optimistic that this season will be a step, or two, or three up from last.

We filled out a sparse roster with good players who were available and want to play for Ollie. If they work hard and play hard, they can all help the team. None are flotsam. And for next year, I think things are going pretty well so far.
Flotsam probably wasn't a fair word to use but we just don't know if they are good players. We all hope they are but there is no way of knowing until the season starts.

Reaction Score
Flotsam probably wasn't a fair word to use but we just don't know if they are good players. We all hope they are but there is no way of knowing until the season starts.

Yeah but other than the clear one and dones that's almost always the case with new bigs. I mean Enoch and Durham were more highly rated recruits, and we still have no idea whether they can play.

We need to add the best recruits we can, I don't think that's controversial.

We won't know whether it's crucial that those recruits be impact freshmen until we get a look at the new guys we currently have.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I really hope this ship hasn't sailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads