Andre Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I like Jackson. I like all our players. But I'm not 100% on board with all the accolades he's receiving from some of us.

I'm going to compare him to Caron because he's a big swing player. In short, he has not had the impact Caron had right away. Hes not as good as Caron based on the small sample. There could be reasons outside of Jackson's control that prevent him from playing at a young-Caron level.

Probably the most significant issue is our style of play. JC always pushed the ball effectively. Caron got a lot of easy buckets. So our failure to push/run the ball is hurting Jackson at the moment. Jackson would be the primary beneficiary if we ran the ball more.
Caron was 20 when he came in if I remember correctly so a year head of Jackson and that's not insignificant. We also need to remember that Andre's played in 5 games. 5! And only one of those was against an opponent we were clearly better than on paper. He hasn't received the minutes to normalize at the college level.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Let's slow down with anointing Jackson the future PG role. He has looked promising in three games this year, one of which was the CCSU game.

He is without a doubt promising, but there are still very noticeable deficiencies that I think we are overlooking due to the great things he already does, i.e. passing, vision, athleticism. He still has mental lapses, which is to be expected. The offense will probably run through him at a certain point but I do not think he will ever be the primary ball handler in his UConn career.
Hartford

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Let's slow down with anointing Jackson the future PG role. He has looked promising in three games this year, one of which was the CCSU game.

He is without a doubt promising, but there are still very noticeable deficiencies that I think we are overlooking due to the great things he already does, i.e. passing, vision, athleticism. He still has mental lapses, which is to be expected. The offense will probably run through him at a certain point but I do not think he will ever be the primary ball handler in his UConn career.

I have my issues with Hurley's coaching at times, especially when it comes to the offense he runs, but I do have faith that he will make adjustments to get the most out of his best players. I think it won't be long -- especially is Bouk doesn't come back for another few weeks -- before Hurley starts putting the ball in Jackson's hands more often and letting him create. There will probably be some growing pains, but he's got the chance to have a Daniel Hamilton-like effect on our offense once he really gets cooking.

Reaction Score
Caron was 20 when he came in if I remember correctly so a year head of Jackson and that's not insignificant. We also need to remember that Andre's played in 5 games. 5! And only one of those was against an opponent we were clearly better than on paper. He hasn't received the minutes to normalize at the college level.
That's all true. I was attemptimg to counter some of the lofty expectations and theories about what Jackson can and should be doing on the floor. Specifically, the idea that Jackson can and should be PG. I think I did a poor job explaining myself.

With all Caron's skill, advanced age, etc... we never played him at pg. He was a wing/swing player. Jackson is a wing/swing player. He is going to do wimg/swing things. For those who love Jackson's vision, that doesn't mean he won't have opportunities to use his vision and play making skills. He will.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@NDakotaHusky Count me in the don't play him at the point category. We do need to play him off curls to get the ball into Sanogo in the post though. The one problem we have right now is his jumper is UGLY. Teams are and will continue to sag off which will make his entry passes harder.

Reaction Score
That's all true. I was attemptimg to counter some of the lofty expectations and theories about what Jackson can and should be doing on the floor. Specifically, the idea the Jackson can and should be PG. I think I did a poor job explaining myself.

With all Caron's skill, advanced age, etc... we never played him at pg. He was a wing/swing player. Jackson is a wing/swing player. He is going to do wimg/swing things. For those who love Jackson's vision, that doesn't mean he won't have opportunities to use his vision and play making skills. He will.
We never played Caron at point guard because he was a small forward and that position was best aligned with his skills as a basketball player. Caron played his two years at UConn with a true point guard. Jackson has point guard skills and will be playing point forward for us, his future in the NBA is most likely at point guard.

Reaction Score
We never played Caron at point guard because he was a small forward and that position was best aligned with his skills as a basketball player. Caron played his two years at UConn with a true point guard. Jackson has point guard skills and will be playing point forward for us, his future in the NBA is most likely at point guard.
Well... I'll be very surprised if that's the case.

I'd actually bet against it, but we'd probably have to define what qualifies as playing pg. Does he have to be listed as PG in the starting lineup? Or does he simply have to dribble the ball up the floor a few times.

I don't doubt plays will run through Jackson and he will handle the ball more as he matures. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's a pg.

Reaction Score
Well... I'll be very surprised if that's the case.

I'd actually bet against it, but we'd probably have to define what qualifies as playing pg. Does he have to be listed as PG in the starting lineup? Or does he simply have to dribble the ball up the floor a few times.

I don't doubt plays will run through Jackson and he will handle the ball more as he matures. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's a pg.
I don't care what he's listed as, he should be initiating offense for us. Daniel Hamilton wasn't listed as point guard but that's what he played here. Both Jackson and Hamilton are point forwards.

Reaction Score
I don't care what he's listed as, he should be initiating offense for us. Daniel Hamilton wasn't listed as point guard but that's what he played here. Both Jackson and Hamilton are point forwards.
I guess we'll see. I think we are parsing words a bit. But I think you just want him to be the go-to-guy. That seems possible. In fact likely.

Reaction Score
He is a highly desirable and talented player who needs to play a lot of minutes or there will be many people in his ear telling him he can go anywhere and not be behind Brendan Adams on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
He is a highly desirable and talented player who needs to play a lot of minutes or there will be many people in his ear telling him he can go anywhere and not be behind Brendan Adams on the depth chart.
I think part of that has already happened. Past 2 games he appears to be ahead of Adams on the depth chart. While healthy I'm not sure Jackson was ever behind Adams on the depth chart. Against Providence he played the same number of minutes as Martin. I don't see the trend of more minutes for Jackson reversing

Edit: just looked at the minutes played in his first 3 games. Jackson played less than Adams. So I guess he was behind Adams early on.

Reaction Score
He seems to defer or looking to fit in. Its normal for a freshman, especially coming in mid-season after injury. Its respectful but at this stage and with our needs I just wish he plays with pure aggression and a bit of cockiness, much like Bouk did mid season.

He's one of the best athletes on the floor, and with a green light could become one of the best players on the floor. When he's one on one, or opponent is slow to get to him, I want to see him drive or shoot or make a play going to the basket. He should be 2nd or 3rd in FGA, and averaging double digits going forward, no need to defer to Polley, Adams or anyone else.

Just saying we don't need another spoke in the wheel we need him to be the axle to turn it. He's got nothing to lose or prove, he's freshman entitled to screw-ups without repercussions. Hurley said he was going to unleash him, well then do it!

Reaction Score
He seems to defer or looking to fit in. Its normal for a freshman, especially coming in mid-season after injury. Its respectful but at this stage and with our needs I just wish he plays with pure aggression and a bit of cockiness, much like Bouk did mid season.

He's one of the best athletes on the floor, and with a green light could become one of the best players on the floor. When he's one on one, or opponent is slow to get to him, I want to see him drive or shoot or make a play going to the basket. He should be 2nd or 3rd in FGA, and averaging double digits going forward, no need to defer to Polley, Adams or anyone else.

Just saying we don't need another spoke in the wheel we need him to be the axle to turn it. He's got nothing to lose or prove, he's freshman entitled to screw-ups without repercussions. Hurley said he was going to unleash him, well then do it!
The problem with him is he is a little limited due to his bad outside shot. He definitely could be more aggressive looking to score/pass when going to the hoops but teams are going to start playing off of him without a consistent shot.

Reaction Score

His scoring game is very raw still but I do think he'll start taking players off the dribble more. As for pure athleticism, he's the best athlete we've ever had.

Reaction Score
Looks like he will start tomorrow also. Maybe we should be coaching the team ??

Reaction Score
Scott Burrel would like a word with you
Burrell was probably one of the best three sport athletes ever but Burrell was just an ordinary run jump athlete in the NBA, Jackson has top 1% in the NBA type athleticism.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
He seems to have some really bad habits(pushing off, dribbling too high, reaching in, risky passes). Watching him I get the sense he had some poor coaching in high school. May take some time to break these habits.

Reaction Score
Burrell was probably one of the best three sport athletes ever but Burrell was just an ordinary run jump athlete in the NBA, Jackson has top 1% in the NBA type athleticism.
You related? Or bucking to be his agent? He has a lot to learn just to stay on the court. No one in the NBA is ordinary.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
155 minutes played and 25 PF. Works out to one foul every 6 minutes and change. Extremely difficult for any bball player to have a consistent impact on a team when you foul that often.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
155 minutes played and 25 PF. Works out to one foul every 6 minutes and change. Extremely difficult for any bball player to have a consistent impact on a team when you foul that often.
He had a blatant offensive foul last night where he pushed off a guy under the rim, off arm fully extended. He did that same move in high school all the time and it wasn’t called.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He had a blatant offensive foul last night where he pushed off a guy under the rim, off arm fully extended. He did that same move in high school all the time and it wasn’t called.

I know the play you are referencing. Jackson definitely extended his arm and pushed away the Gtown defender.

My problem with the play was prior to Jackson pushing off was the Gtown defender clearly fouled Jackson with a reach and had already impeded Jackson's path, and it was a no call. I don't know if Jackson, in the moment, thought he could do whatever he wants to the defender and assumed refs would swallow the whistle. Learning to play through the initial contact and forcing the issue to have the ref make the call is a bigger lesson for him to learn than not extending his arm is a lesson for him, IMO.

Reaction Score
I didnt read the comparison to Caron but Caron and Jackson have no basketball similarities! I regard Caron as one of the best Uconn players of all time. If he had more help we win another title! He was the best all around player we ever had!

Reaction Score
You related? Or bucking to be his agent? He has a lot to learn just to stay on the court. No one in the NBA is ordinary.
Reading comprehension. Burrell was just an ordinary run jump athlete in the NBA not an ordinary run jump athlete compared to the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom