Andre Jackson Sophomore Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Sophomore Season

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Hate to be the guy to throw cold water but I don’t think AJ will ever be the go to guy to get a bucket in the slow half court possessions (read when we really need one).

He’ll be a guy who makes a ton of winning plays defensively, rebounding, passing, some scoring in transition. a huge help to the plus minus but expecting 12+ a game from him feels a little too optimistic

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Kid is going to be a problem. There's no reason why he won't be able to beat his man off the dribble and get to the basket this year. He'll be a nice point-forward

He needs a floater/12-foot pull-up. Teams will sag too far off him if he’s not a threat outside the paint. There’s no attackable angle to exploit if your man’s d’ing up in the paint with help.

Watching him force floaters up last season, when attacking defenders setup in the paint, often ended with his shot getting rejected.

That being said, this team can transcend all healthy expectations if Jackson, Sanogo, and a healthy Akok become it’s best players. Cole, Whaley, and Martin are guys I believe we can count on for consistent production and toughness night in and out.

Reaction Score
Kid is going to be a problem. There's no reason why he won't be able to beat his man off the dribble and get to the basket this year. He'll be a nice point-forward

I think it is easy to say, based on these highlights of Andre as a freshman, that his sophomore season will be much, much better. I think we will see him start dominating his matchups, putting the ball on the floor a lot more, beating his man off the dribble, driving, dishing, being much more integral on offensive sets with his IQ, passing, and team play. I think he will also begin dominating with his rebounding on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
It’s easy to say anything about anyone based on a highlight films against Central Connecticut. But this kid has a long way to go. Teams left him wide open at the 3 point line knowing he not only couldn’t shoot but wouldn’t even think about it. And he relied on his quickness to play defense, not fundamentals which is why he send too much time in foul trouble. He was either a lazy defender or an “ uneducated” one. He had some highlight reel dunks, but those are only worth 2 points.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s easy to say anything about anyone based on a highlight films against Central Connecticut. But this kid has a long way to go. Teams left him wide open at the 3 point line knowing he not only couldn’t shoot but wouldn’t even think about it. And he relied on his quickness to play defense, not fundamentals which is why he send too much time in foul trouble. He was either a lazy defender or an “ uneducated” one. He had some highlight reel dunks, but those are only worth 2 points.
I mean there's only two different kinds of points shots can be worth.

Reaction Score

His team played a zone in hs--he's uneducated. He wouldn't be on our team if his effort was lacking.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think he's further along than you think. He was slow guarding his man but was very good in other areas. He couldn't shoot the ball and that's his biggest area that he needs to improve on. What I'm saying is I don't think we'll see him be a three point shooter this year but there shouldn't be a reason he can't beat his man off the dribble to get to the basket or a pull-up floater

Reaction Score
I think he's further along than you think. He was slow guarding his man but was very good in other areas. He couldn't shoot the ball and that's his biggest area that he needs to improve on. What I'm saying is I don't think we'll see him be a three point shooter this year but there shouldn't be a reason he can't beat his man off the dribble to get to the basket or a pull-up floater
If he gets some kind of jump shot, not necessarily a 3pt shot he will be very dangerous to guard. But he needs to shoot the ball better for the defense's to be honest. Hope his time spent in the gym since the season ended pays off. He's a determined kid.

Reaction Score
AJax will make an impact as a disruptive defender off of which he will get easy buckets on steals/deflections/picks.. He will also be scoring on alley oops/put backs/slashes to the hoop. I have not mentioned any outside shooting skill or excellent FT shooting.

If you don't see how this athlete doesn't ave. 10 pts+ this year. .I don't get it.

Be like water my friends..

Reaction Score
His team played a zone in hs--he's uneducated. He wouldn't be on our team if his effort was lacking.
Ok. That was one of the choices. He wasn’t a fundamentally sound defender. Lots of talented high school kids aren’t. They rely on athletic ability and can get away with it. When I say lazy what I really meant was t in hat. Not fundamentally sound so he relies on athleticism. But high D1 basketball you can’t do that and succeed.

As far as shooting goes he needs to get something so teams will respect even if he isn’t great. Last year it was kind of embossing the way the simply ignored his outside shot. Especially if he plays the point as some folks say.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ok. That was one of the choices. He wasn’t a fundamentally sound defender. Lots of talented high school kids aren’t. They rely on athletic ability and can get away with it. When I say lazy what I really meant was t in hat. Not fundamentally sound so he relies on athleticism. But high D1 basketball you can’t do that and succeed.

As far as shooting goes he needs to get something so teams will respect even if he isn’t great. Last year it was kind of embossing the way the simply ignored his outside shot. Especially if he plays the point as some folks say.
That kind of makes his potential as a defender really scary. He was mostly athleticism and effort last year (almost too eager at times) and still had a great impact defensively. Once he slows down, incorporates what Hurley is teaching, and the refs give him more leeway with the whistle we can see a truly great defensive player. He had a LOT of near highlight defensive plays last year. But that was a lot of his problem last year ALWAYS going for a highlight play.

Reaction Score
Maybe he can show Hurley how to play zone once occasionally

Reaction Score
That kind of makes his potential as a defender really scary. He was mostly athleticism and effort last year (almost too eager at times) and still had a great impact defensively. Once he slows down, incorporates what Hurley is teaching, and the refs give him more leeway with the whistle we can see a truly great defensive player. He had a LOT of near highlight defensive plays last year. But that was a lot of his problem last year ALWAYS going for a highlight play.
I have to agree in regards to his defense last year his athleticism did get him through on the defensive end. It should be different this year with better understanding how D1 college ball is played. Definitely the whistle did not go his way last year. But I have to disagree on him always trying for the highlight plays. Remember in HS that's all he was doing. It was a highlight reel for him probably every night cause how athletic he is. I think that's what he knew comming in. JMO.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I have to agree in regards to his defense last year his athleticism did get him through on the defensive end. It should be different this year with better understanding how D1 college ball is played. Definitely the whistle did not go his way last year. But I have to disagree on him always trying for the highlight plays. Remember in HS that's all he was doing. It was a highlight reel for him probably every night cause how athletic he is. I think that's what he knew comming in. JMO.
Yeah it showed. On both the offensive and defensive end it would be cool if he just made the simple and effective play. Two handed chest and bounce passes are cool. Everything doesn't need to be a no look one hander. Keeping your long arms straight up to contest is cool. No need to try and go for every block. But hoping with the experience and confidence will come with him knowing when to pick and choose those spots.

Reaction Score
Yeah it showed. On both the offensive and defensive end it would be cool if he just made the simple and effective play. Two handed chest and bounce passes are cool. Everything doesn't need to be a no look one hander. Keeping your long arms straight up to contest is cool. No need to try and go for every block. But hoping with the experience and confidence will come with him knowing when to pick and choose those spots.
His skills should be honed quite a bit from last year. But he does seem to get the ball inside to other players how ever he does it, one hand, chest pass ect.. It's been awhile that we had someone that could do that.

Reaction Score
I think AJ knows exactly what he needs to work on and has made a commitment to becoming a complete player. His improvement this year will be impressive, but in his 3rd year he'll become a star. If you're a coach, imagine the starting skill set you get to work with. You don't let that kind of talent go to waste. Watch and see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AJ disrupting the PG at the top and DC defending the rim on the back end.

Gotta love it. 2-3 here we come.
Easy Chin, that's a year away. I hope that's not the D we play most of the time. We have the athletes to continue playing man with DC. Let's not forget Springs, Akok, Johnson and any other wing/big we pick up in the mean time. I'm hoping for Springs to break out this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom